homepage

Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side.

Posted By: RedToo

Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/06/19 08:37 PM

China's Longjiang-2 satellite has captured an incredible image featuring both the far side of the Moon and Earth in the background. The data was received by the Netherlands' Dwingeloo Radio Telescope from an amateur radio transceiver built by a team at China's Harbin University of Technology.

[Linked Image]

Great pic! Is this the view aliens will see as they close in on the earth?
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/06/19 08:44 PM

fake ,how come the dark side is iluminated if it isnt facing us ?
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/06/19 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Blade_RJ

Joking, right?
Posted By: Vaderini

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/06/19 10:20 PM

I didn't understand the transmission cycle of the opening post, so after googling I found out
The satellite was launched into space in June 2018, but is considered an "amateur" structure because it isn't affiliated with any space agency.

The camera which captured this stunning shot was built by students. The image was then beamed back to the Dwingeloo Radio Telescope in the northeastern Netherlands, and downloaded.

I believe this is the first time that I've seen real pictures from the Earth-Moon Lagrange 2 point, and even though the photo is less interesting than what the Soviet Zond and US Ranger probes produced, i'm still amazed by what is essentially a smartphone camera with a bigger aperture, can produce.

We live in great times smile
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/06/19 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by F4UDash4

Joking, right?

I hope so.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/07/19 01:06 AM

All I see is two flat disks.

wink
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/07/19 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dart
All I see is two flat disks.

wink

rofl
Posted By: Dart

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/07/19 03:32 AM

To really, really blow the minds of people they should release a picture when the far side of the moon is completely illuminated by the Sun.

The tidal locking puts one face towards the Earth, but that doesn't mean the other side is "dark." On a new moon (for us) it's a full moon to anyone looking at it from the other side.
Posted By: Clydewinder

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/07/19 03:54 AM

Joking, right?

they left the flash on
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/07/19 04:09 AM

Here's a video made from a series of photos from a few years ago:

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/07/19 11:06 AM

To really, really blow the minds of people they should release a picture when the far side of the moon is completely illuminated by the Sun.

That is in fact what the OP picture is showing, the far side of the moon illuminated by the sun in the foreground and the earth in the distance.
Posted By: Ssnake

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/07/19 04:52 PM

On a new moon (for us) it's a full moon to anyone looking at it from the other side.

Nonsense. The moon gets eaten by a giant wolf, then spit out again, thanks to the Saturn shepherd alien overlords who poke him with a space cattle prod.
Posted By: Khai

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/07/19 06:51 PM

but where's the turtle?
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/07/19 07:59 PM

I think I can see Udo Kier in that moon pic.
Posted By: RedToo

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/07/19 08:28 PM

Some background to the pic here:

https://www.camras.nl/en/blog/2018/precious-earth-and-lunar-far-side/
Posted By: 462cid

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/07/19 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Khai
but where's the turtle?

you mean of course the turtle of enormous girth, on whose shell rests the Earth
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/08/19 02:17 AM

There is no far side of flat objects, only a backside.

So where's the poop?

[Linked Image]

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/08/19 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by 462cid
Originally Posted by Khai
but where's the turtle?

you mean of course the turtle of enormous girth, on whose shell rests the Earth

Yes, which leads to the other question. What happened to the elephants, that stand on the turtle, that the world sits on?
Posted By: DM

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/08/19 09:43 AM

The elephants have been poached by scientific agenda and the turtle broils in it's own gravy on the stove of media compliance.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/09/19 06:52 AM

That is in fact what the OP picture is showing, the far side of the moon illuminated by the sun in the foreground and the earth in the distance.

People are probably thrown off by the fact that it's not an image you "just shoot with your camera".

Even with HDR the moon brightness would have probably made the earth almost invisible.

I would guess it's a composite of several exposures, but I don't know, it's been decades since I geeked on camera stuff...
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/09/19 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
There is no far side of flat objects, only a backside.
So where's the poop?

Like all conscientious campers they carried it out and disposed of it properly.

Wheels

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/09/19 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by wheelsup_cavu
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

So where's the poop?

Like all conscientious campers they carried it out and disposed of it properly.

Wheels

Actually, it was left behind.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/09/19 08:22 PM

Actually, it was left behind.

Lol, wasn't expecting to get schooled that quickly.

Anywhoo that fecal matter was probably a lot safer in the long rung than the LEM'S and other objects we left on the moon.
Nuclear power on the moon: https://www.iaea.org/sites/default/files/publications/magazines/bulletin/bull12-1/12104700912.pdf

Wheels

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/09/19 11:31 PM

took another look at the pic cos something was bugging me..

then I realised.

Space 1999!!!

looks like a shot from that old series of the Moon doing a runner....
Posted By: Immermann

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/11/19 07:56 AM

Well, that settles it. No nazi base on the moon.
Posted By: Catfish

Re: Chinese satellite captures image showing both Earth and the Moon's far side. - 02/11/19 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Immermann
Well, that settles it. No nazi base on the moon.

Camouflage..

Back to OP: Nice post, thanks smile
© 2024 SimHQ Forums