homepage

Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway

Posted By: Patrocles

Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 01:15 PM

Pilot is A-OK!

I have never heard of this Condor Squadron. when I tried to look up their homepage i keep getting an 'unable to connect' message. to lazy to look on FB.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/23/california-nazi-plane-world-war-ii-crash
Posted By: rwatson

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 01:17 PM

Patrocles ..The Condor Squadron was the German part of the Spanish Civil War..allowing the Luftwaffe to train for WW II
http://general-history.com/the-condor-squadron/
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 01:18 PM

Very glad to see that no one was killed.

So the AT-6 has now been used as mock Japanese Zeros and mock FW-190's! Fascinating captain.

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by rwatson
Patrocles ..The Condor Squadron was the German part of the Spanish Civil War..allowing the Luftwaffe to train for WW II
http://general-history.com/the-condor-squadron/

Yes, I know about the German Condor Squadron and their role in the SCW, but I was talking about the Condor Squadron that is flying these relic planes.

edit
rwatson, the current Condor Squadron flies old relic planes. However, when I try to connect to their homepage i keep getting an "unable to connect" on my browser. The group also has an FB link, but I am too lazy (and avoid FB at all costs, ymmv) to check that out.

Condor Squadron Home page - The Condor Squadron
The Condor Squadron Officer's and Airmen's Association is a unique non-profit organization founded in 1965 by a group of WWII fighter pilots, preserving a piece of aviation history that played an important part in securing the freedoms we cherish as a nation.

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 01:35 PM

Sorry thought you meant Condor legion But I went here and it loaded just fine ..i'm using firefox browser https://www.condorsquadron.org/

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by rwatson
Sorry thought you meant Condor legion But I went here and it loaded just fine ..i'm using firefox browser https://www.condorsquadron.org/

Thanks! I am on a lab computer here, so I guess this site is being blocked by the uni
Cheers!
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 03:57 PM

I don't want to hijack the thread, but it intrigues me that often I see links here from U.S. posters to British news channels or online newspapers; why is this? Do you not trust your own media?

What really surprises me is the OP links to the 'Grauniad' (So tagged because it was notorious for typos in it's hot metal past) a lefty liberal intelligentsia organ..
Posted By: Dart

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 03:58 PM

Bet if they zoom out the highway will have fields right next to it.

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 04:05 PM

BD probably because it's the first one Google coughs up
Posted By: Azshal

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dart

The second pic, farther down the page has some text in the lower left-hand corner:

101N(101)/Exit 34 (Liberty Cyn Rd)

Latitude 34° 8'17.54"N
Longitude 118°43'28.64"W

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1379371,-118.7266633,1032m/data=!3m1!1e3
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 07:07 PM

I used to fly out of Van Nuys. I saw their T6/SNJ's there, all the time. They have them done up in the markings of the various air forces of WW2.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 07:21 PM

I see them at Sun n Fun and other fly-ins.

Here are some as a Japanese flight.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by BD-123
I don't want to hijack the thread, but it intrigues me that often I see links here from U.S. posters to British news channels or online newspapers; why is this? Do you not trust your own media?

Our media in America is about as trustworthy as a hungry wolf going door to door selling their babysitting services.
Posted By: carrick58

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 10:36 PM

Rumor has always been more popular than fact. Mark Twain even complained that his own reported death was much exaggerated
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Originally Posted by BD-123

Our media in America is about as trustworthy as a hungry wolf going door to door selling their babysitting services.

That is what happens when all the media goes 'yellow journalism'. It is not about the correct facts but who gets 'the news' out there first.

A few years ago the TV was 'talking' about a local airshow. They showed a photo of a C-130 when the a/c at the show was a Chinook helicopter. Now that is a total mis-ID.

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 11:29 PM

OK, let’s leave politics out of this or it will have to be moved to the proper forum.

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 11:41 PM

"I see them at Sun n Fun and other fly-ins.

Here are some as a Japanese flight."

Actually, I don't think those planes are theirs. Those airplanes are the T6's and Bt-13's done up as Japanese planes for the film, "Tora, Tora, Tora!" The Condor Squadron left thier planes pretty stock and simply gave them paint jobs.

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/24/18 11:51 PM

I should have been more clear. I meant the type not the organization.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/29/18 03:51 AM

In this instance you would lose that bet. The highway was his only safe option in the area where it went down.

Here is the 101 Fwy and Liberty Canyon exit street view.
Street View: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.137...T0EGEop-bW1zn85IvrIcw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Wheels

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/29/18 05:31 AM

That's actually pretty unusual. Most times when pilots land on an interstate there is a great set of fields close by, but functional fixedness blanks out everything but long concrete surfaces.

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/29/18 05:33 PM

That's actually pretty unusual. Most times when pilots land on an interstate there is a great set of fields close by, but functional fixedness blanks out everything but long concrete surfaces.

Again this is SoCal Dart. If it isn't the foothills making it unsafe for an Emergency landing it's a housing tract or commercial building complex that make it impossible to land anywhere safely but the highway. Even Chino airport which used to be ringed by dairy farms and flat fields less than 5 years ago is getting hemmed in by houses and commercial buildings.

Wheels
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/29/18 05:35 PM

California has over 39 million people now but Texas is #2 and its population is actually growing at a faster rate so it will eventually pass CA.

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/29/18 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
California has over 37 million people now but Texas is #2 and its population is actually growing at a faster rate so it will eventually pass CA.

Anything I say as a response, even in jest, is liable to get this thread kicked to PWEC.

Wheels
Posted By: Marc

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/31/18 04:41 AM

It was so close of being a great landing

Marc..

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/31/18 11:30 AM

I’m sure that he had a lot going on since there was traffic and rather than focused completely on landing he was worried about others. He bounced the landing and got directionally unstabile. One of the characteristics of conventional (tail wheel) aircraft. He will hate seeing that video.

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 10/31/18 11:12 PM

Meh. I've done worse! wink

He was awful close to stall when he put her down, which would have been okay if there wasn't a barrier.

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 11/01/18 04:27 AM

Meh. I've done worse! wink

He was awful close to stall when he put her down, which would have been okay if there wasn't a barrier.

Yeah but yours didn't burn to a crisp after you flipped it. exitstageleft

Wheels

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 11/03/18 03:16 PM

Dart!! You've done worse? The plane crashed, burned and exploded! Lol!!!! You remind me of the scene in "The Princess Bride" where they take the Prince's dead body to the Healer (Billy Crystal). He says, "Meh...I've seen woise!"

Re: Mock German fighter plane crashes on California freeway - 11/04/18 01:46 PM

I meant the bounce and ground loop. Thankfully I land where there aren't five foot high concrete walls on one side.

And I got away lucky on my flip. The battery had came out of it's mount and shorted itself on the gas tank. Turned one of the terminals to slag.

But all the gas was going the other way outside of the aircraft.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums