homepage

"King Lear" by Amazon Studios

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

"King Lear" by Amazon Studios - 10/15/18 02:51 PM

Has anyone watched this new adaptation of "King Lear" starring Anthony Hopkins?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7473890/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I'm curious to check it out and I've also noticed that most of these recent (within the past 20 years) adaptations of Shakespeare are being set in modern times with modern sensibilities. I understand that it's an attempt to make Shakespeare more interesting to modern audiences but I wonder if that has backfired more often than it has been a benefit?
Posted By: Azshal

Re: "King Lear" by Amazon Studios - 10/15/18 04:12 PM

I was interested in this and wanted to watch it with the wife...

But then I heard it was in Shakespearean English and I don't really want to spend my down time trying to parse language. It is a pass for me.

If you want a good King Lear, watch Ran:

https://www.amazon.com/Ran-English-...qid=1539619928&sr=8-1&ref=sr_1_1

Edit:
To answer your question, the time frame doesn't bother me. Just like the new Sherlock with Cumberbatch and Freeman doesn't bother me.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: "King Lear" by Amazon Studios - 10/15/18 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Azshal

I'm a huge Kurosawa fan and I have the Criterion Collection dvd for "Ran" so I wholeheartedly agree with your recommendation!

Of course, I don't speak Japanese so I need to read the subtitles but that's fine. smile
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: "King Lear" by Amazon Studios - 10/15/18 06:42 PM

I started to watch it, and quickly decided it was not worth my time. Between the olde english and having trouble hearing some of the dialogue on top of that... No thanks.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: "King Lear" by Amazon Studios - 10/15/18 10:39 PM

Why do current movie makers make dialogue so hard to hear ? I can listen to older movies fine, but the new stuff has the dialogue lost in all the sound effects and music.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: "King Lear" by Amazon Studios - 10/16/18 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Why do current movie makers make dialogue so hard to hear ? I can listen to older movies fine, but the new stuff has the dialogue lost in all the sound effects and music.

There is no on able to write coherent dialogue anymore. That is why the sound effects and music are so loud, it is what passes for dialogue.

Wheels
Posted By: Lieste

Re: "King Lear" by Amazon Studios - 10/16/18 10:06 AM

Surely that doesn't apply in the current case though, where the recitation of established dialogue is all that is required. No need for 'writing' dialogue poorly and masking it.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: "King Lear" by Amazon Studios - 10/16/18 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Noticed this trend too especially on new series on TV, I have had to switch on the subtitles for some as the dialogue is buried under the ambient background noise on the shows. Even with the surround sound the centre channel is so low that I'm tempted to make a new set of settings with boosted volume on the centre channel on my amp.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums