homepage

Interesting recovery operation

Posted By: oldgrognard

Interesting recovery operation - 09/26/18 10:47 PM

I didn’t know about this. Thought it was pretty interesting. I didn’t realize that there were so many fuel bunkers.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mi.../prinz-eugen-ship-nuked-radioactive-oil/
Posted By: rwatson

Re: Interesting recovery operation - 09/26/18 11:02 PM

Interesting post OG I would have thought the oil would have leaked out years ago..also interesting a bit farther down the page ,,They are making a Midway movie with Woody Harrelson playing Admiral Nimitz
Posted By: WOLF257

Re: Interesting recovery operation - 09/26/18 11:46 PM

Fuel still leaks from the USS Arizona.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Interesting recovery operation - 09/27/18 12:16 AM

The bunker fuel those ships burned was thick as tar and had to be heated in order to pump it. I’d imagine there are basically blocks of the stuff down there with the water very slowly softening it and letting it float to the surface.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Interesting recovery operation - 09/27/18 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by WOLF257
Fuel still leaks from the USS Arizona.

I remember my father telling me in the mid 70's how oil was still leaking from Arizona when he got to Pearl Harbor in 1943, then I found out it was still doing so even then, and now here it is another 40 years and still leaking.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Interesting recovery operation - 09/27/18 06:48 AM

Interesting, thanks for sharing that OG.

Fairly local to where I used to live, the battleship Royal Oak was sunk in October 1939 by U47, as well as being a war grave she has been leaking bunker fuel oil for years. The navy has had to do something about it as there could have been up to 3000 tons of oil on board and if that all got released into the environment it could be quite a disaster.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Royal Oak sank with up to 3,000 tons of fuel oil aboard, the precise amount being unknown since such records were lost with the ship. Oil leaked from the corroding hull at an increased rate during the 1990s and concerns about the environmental impact led the Ministry of Defence to consider plans for extracting it.[130] Royal Oak's status as a war grave required that surveys and any proposed techniques for removing the oil be handled sensitively: plans in the 1950s to raise and salvage the wreck had been dropped in response to public opposition.[131] In addition to the ethical concerns, poorly managed efforts could destabilise the wreck, resulting in a mass release of the remaining oil;[132] the ship also contains many tons of unexploded ordnance.[133]
The MOD commissioned a series of multi-beam sonar surveys to image the wreck and appraise its condition.[134] The high-resolution sonograms showed Royal Oak to be lying almost upside down with her top works forced into the seabed. The tip of the bow had been blown off by U-47's first torpedo and a gaping hole on the starboard flank was the result of the triple strike from her second successful salvo.[133][135] Following several years of delays, Briggs Marine was contracted by the MoD to conduct the task of pumping off the remaining oil.[136] Royal Oak's mid-construction conversion to fuel oil had placed her fuel tanks in unconventional positions, complicating operations. By 2006, all double bottom tanks had been cleared and the task of removing oil from the inner wing tanks with cold cutting equipment began the next year.[133] By 2010, some 1600 tonnes of fuel oil had been removed, and the wreck was declared to be no longer actively releasing oil into Scapa Flow.[136] Operations continue at a reduced pace to tackle the oil known to be remaining (state for 2012)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Royal_Oak_(08)
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Interesting recovery operation - 09/27/18 09:14 AM

Not sure about the radioactivity there, but that sounds like an interesting snorkel/freediving site...
Posted By: coasty

Re: Interesting recovery operation - 09/27/18 09:19 PM

we fueled lake superior light houses with bunker C oil in the '70s. we would anchor nearby and float the hose over with a Boston Whaler.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Interesting recovery operation - 09/28/18 12:36 AM

So I'm guessing that bunker oil is in that wedge of distillation between heavy kerosene and asphalt...is that correct?

Re: Interesting recovery operation - 09/28/18 10:46 AM

Sounds pretty close Dart biggrin
Posted By: semmern

Re: Interesting recovery operation - 10/01/18 08:43 PM

You can still see occasional small oil slicks from the cruiser Blücher that was sunk on April 9 1940 on its way to Oslo during Operation Weserübung. The wreck lies at about 90 m (300 ft) depth in the Oslo Fjord.

Re: Interesting recovery operation - 10/02/18 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by semmern
You can still see occasional small oil slicks from the cruiser Blücher that was sunk on April 9 1940 on its way to Oslo during Operation Weserübung. The wreck lies at about 90 m (300 ft) depth in the Oslo Fjord.

When I was there we were too busy watching the ice getting broken so we could get in to Oslo smile
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Interesting recovery operation - 10/02/18 03:03 PM

There will be quite a few ecological disasters coming whith all those ships sunk in WW2 when their bunkers are finally breached/rust away.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums