homepage

One Of The Great Things About Social Media

Posted By: Pooch

One Of The Great Things About Social Media - 08/30/18 05:34 PM

I'm not much of a Facebook type. Don't have a Twitter account. Don't blog. I often think that people spend too much of their time with all of this.
But I just experienced a wonderful example of what's good about it. To begin with, my wife is in stage 5 kidney failure. She's had a transplanted kidney for an amazing 25 years. The don't usually go more then 10. Looks like she'll be starting dialysis. We're going to try doing it at home so she doesn't have to go and spend three days a week in the hospital.
My son hears all of this, and goes on facebook. The reaction has been incredible. He did it last night and, already, five people have offered to donate. Scores of people have jumped in offering to help and it's been shared no less than 65 times by the time we went to bed, last night. I don't think she'll be on dialysis very long. A lot of people die waiting for a doner. She's not going to be one of them!
So, while some definately abuse it, social media can certainly be a positive, and in this case, life saving instrument.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: One Of The Great Things About Social Media - 08/30/18 05:57 PM

Social media is no different from any other tool or technology. It all depends on how it is used by people.

I will keep your wife in my thoughts and hope she comes out of all this ok.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: One Of The Great Things About Social Media - 08/30/18 06:04 PM

Last year when i was going through cancer treatment I got a lot of support from friends (actual, flesh and blood real world friends) on Facebook. Like PM says it's not the medium that is good or bad but the people who utilize it.
Posted By: Coot

Re: One Of The Great Things About Social Media - 08/31/18 03:30 AM

That is a blessing Pooch. Like Panzer said its a good thing when used in this manner. My personal family and extended family has used it this year when there were some immediate health issues/scares. In no time at all a wildfire of prayer chains were started. Its pretty amazing fast people from all over can communicate now in real time. Praying for you and your wife now Pooch. That's very cool that your son has mom and pop's back like that too.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums