homepage

Overlord (film)

Posted By: Chaz

Overlord (film) - 07/18/18 03:25 PM

Upcoming JJ Abrams film. At first, I was thinking a Call of Duty adaptation. Then.... Wolfenstein.....

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Overlord (film) - 07/18/18 03:41 PM

I thought the US Army was segregated during WWII?

And I'll be passing on this movie.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: Overlord (film) - 07/18/18 04:15 PM

African American troops were mostly used in supply at Omaha and I was watching American Heroes channel about African Americans and the Medal of Honor at Omaha...Most got them well after the war and had passed..but Harry Truman was the one who fully integrated the services

https://www.thedailybeast.com/d-days-forgotten-african-american-heroes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Distant_Shore:_African_Americans_of_D-Day#Awards
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Overlord (film) - 07/18/18 04:31 PM

There were no black paratroopers during WW2. I mean, okay....there were no zombies, either! But the political correctness does get old after awhile. That bothers me about the film more than anything else. And believe me, it has nothing to do with rascism.

Re: Overlord (film) - 07/18/18 04:32 PM

Pooch’s sentiment is exactly the same as mine.

The Hollywood historical revisionism gets old after a while.

Re: Overlord (film) - 07/18/18 04:33 PM

Oh..and you also didn't get drafted into the airborne. All those guys who jumped volunteered for it.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: Overlord (film) - 07/18/18 04:41 PM

Well it is a movie meant as entertainment and not a documentary...No worse than a fool jumping around on top of a 3.00 foot tall building..but still I wo't go see it..Saving Pvy Ryan and Band of Brothers was the last of the lot for me Dunkirk was OK but not all that great
Posted By: Bumfluff

Re: Overlord (film) - 07/19/18 12:05 PM

A WW2 zombie movie and your first concern over historical accuracy is skin colour?

Re: Overlord (film) - 07/19/18 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bumfluff
A WW2 zombie movie and your first concern over historical accuracy is skin colour?

That's not really the point. The point is that Hollywood is very overt with its "social justice warrior" agenda so the casting of an African-American actor for that role is no coincidence.

Re: Overlord (film) - 07/19/18 03:54 PM

"A WW2 zombie movie and your first concern over historical accuracy is skin colour?"

That's why I said, "...well, there were no zombies, either! But....." You are missing the point, completely. If you are going to put a film in an historical setting, then do the setting historically or there isn't really much point, is there? You feel the need to repair the injustice done to minorities in films? Then have the story take place in Viet-Nam. We find that the Communists are turning captured American soldiers into undead monsters. There you go. We can have blacks, hispanics, Asians...nobody will be left out. We can put a Vietnamese girl in there so the women aren't forgotten, either.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Overlord (film) - 07/19/18 05:53 PM

Who cares, just let actors act. Even if the producers have their own motivation for casting how they do it doesn’t mean you have to make your own issue or even acknowledge it. You might as well consider movies like this as existing in an alternate universe, with the subject matter, so all bets are off.

I won’t decide I ike a movie that’s perfectly accurate (as if that’s possible in this case) if I don’t simply enjoy it. Likewise, I won’t condemn it for not being accurate if I do enjoy it.
It blows my mind the extremes people will go to these days to be UNhappy about just about anything.
(not directed at anyone here, just general observation)

Re: Overlord (film) - 07/19/18 06:05 PM

"You might as well consider movies like this as existing in an alternate universe"

That's the only way to think about it, and still watch it. Little things in films will bug the hell out of me, though. Like Pearl Harbor. When Ben Affleck tells the girl, "I'm going to England. The Air Corps is sending me there to join the Eagle Squadron!"
I thought, "WHAT!?" The U.S. didn't send pilots to join the Eagles. And in uniform? That would have been like declaring war on Germany. Those guys were civilians who went to Canada and joined up on their own. Such a small thing, but something like that will ruin an entire film for me.

Re: Overlord (film) - 07/19/18 06:22 PM

Even if you ignore the huge amount of factual mistakes in “Pearl Harbor”, it is still a crappy movie.

And just to show that I'm not a movie snob, I think "Braveheart" works very well as drama and entertainment even though I'm fully aware it's full of historical inaccuracies. smile
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: Overlord (film) - 07/20/18 09:54 PM

Seems like someone didnt get the license for a wolfstein movie but didnt want to disapoint his boss
Posted By: ArgonV

Re: Overlord (film) - 07/24/18 02:31 PM

This looks fun! Totally has a Return to Castle Wolfenstein vibe.
Posted By: Falstar

Re: Overlord (film) - 07/25/18 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Pooch
There were no black paratroopers during WW2. I mean, okay....there were no zombies, either! But the political correctness does get old after awhile. That bothers me about the film more than anything else. And believe me, it has nothing to do with rascism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555th_Parachute_Infantry_Battalion_(United_States)

ttps://americacomesalive.com/2016/02/23/the-triple-nickles-armys-first-black-paratroopers/

http://triplenickle.com/history.htm
© 2024 SimHQ Forums