homepage

When Real Estate Runs Out of Time

Posted By: Haggart

When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/09/18 02:09 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Damage done by Hawaii's Kilauea volcano. In 2010 my wife and I walked across one of its nearby inactive sister craters although the lava was still about 300 feet below
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/09/18 02:43 AM

What is those cars still doing there ? I’ve seen a couple cars getting destroyed in the lava flows and think, “what ?”

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/09/18 02:46 AM

agreed ..... just makes you go ....????
Posted By: Goodwood

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/09/18 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
What is those cars still doing there ? I’ve seen a couple cars getting destroyed in the lava flows and think, “what ?”

Originally Posted by Haggart
agreed ..... just makes you go ....????

Two words: insurance payout.

At least, that's the only excuse that I can think of off the top of my head. It kinda makes sense; why go through the trouble of evacuating your excess cars, that are probably a couple of years old anyway, when whatever policy you have will probably replace them when everything is all said and done.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/09/18 10:33 AM

Goodwood is correct.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/09/18 01:11 PM

I suspect when a volcano is going off you’re not likely to seperate your family but want to keep everyone together in one vehicle.
Insurance is great, but most people finance their cars for longer and longer periods of time. If it’s a couple of years old, insurance probably isn’t going to cover the cost of paying it off, much less replacing. Most likely it’s a more practical matter of “we’ll deal with the stuff later, there’s a friggin volcano erupting”.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/09/18 01:20 PM

Watch this one.

Mustang and R2D2 burn in a fire

I would guess some of these vids will be used by insurance companies screaming negligence on the owners part.
Posted By: Docjonel

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/10/18 02:33 AM

I was actually able to find this location on Google maps and look at a street view of the area from a spot that is now buried under this lava flow. Kinda creepy...

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/11/18 05:13 PM

The danger hasn't passed - the worst could be yet to come according to USGS scientists
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/11/18 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nixer
Watch this one.

Mustang and R2D2 burn in a fire

I would guess some of these vids will be used by insurance companies screaming negligence on the owners part.

some news channel interviewed him, apparently he runs some car rental place out of his yard and the Mustang was the least of his worries. I heard him say he was more bummed about losing the R2D2 mailbox.
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/11/18 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Haggart
The danger hasn't passed - the worst could be yet to come according to USGS scientists

They closed the Volcano park to visitors last night, talking about how the lava level dropped so much they're afraid it will mix with the water under the ground and create this huge explosion tossing rocks 6ft wide up to 2 miles away...

LINK

The fear is that it will go below the underground water table — another 1,000 feet further down — and that would trigger a chain of events that could lead to a "very violent" steam explosion, Mandeville said.

At the current rate of change, that is about six or seven days away.

Once the lava drops, rocks that had been superheated could fall into the lava tube. And once the lava drops below the water table, water hits rocks that are as hot as almost 2,200 degrees and flashes into steam. When the water hits the lava, it also steams. And the dropped rocks hold that steam in until it blows.
Posted By: Chef

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/11/18 06:27 PM

Great opportunity for people to get rid of unwanted bodies and other hard to dispose of evidence.

I wonder if Google maps would still give driving directions thru lava covered streets?
Posted By: Clydewinder

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/11/18 11:16 PM

that first photo is beautiful and terrible at the same time

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/12/18 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chef
Great opportunity for people to get rid of unwanted bodies and other hard to dispose of evidence.

I wonder if Google maps would still give driving directions thru lava covered streets?

fearful

goodnight

duh
Posted By: Dart

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/12/18 02:30 AM

LOL @ Chef.

Me to insurance adjuster:
"I'd like to make a claim. My car got ate by lava."

Insurance adjuster to me:
"Certainly. All we need is the plate showing the VIN number to confirm it was destroyed."

Me:
"It was ate by lava."

Insurance adjuster:
"In that case, have a nice day, and thank you for carrying our insurance. Is there any other way I might not be of service to you?"
Posted By: DaBBQ

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/12/18 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard

Volcanic gasses can run along the ground during an eruption before the lava and choke the the life out of you before you can do anything about it. When volcanologist says get the hell out fast, you GET out fast.
Posted By: Pooch

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/12/18 06:56 PM

So, you can get away faster on foot than by jumping in your car?
Posted By: DaBBQ

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/12/18 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pooch
So, you can get away faster on foot than by jumping in your car?

You get away faster if you group into one car but yes, you have a better chance since car engines tends to sputter if the air is saturated with SO2 or CO2.

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/14/18 01:32 PM

More fissures open up spewing lava and Volcano National Park temporarily closes to visitors

https://abcnews.go.com/US/volcano-observatory-warns-explosive-eruptions-hawaii/story?id=55067583

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy4lG6YzLI8
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/14/18 04:50 PM

Lava into the ocean

https://www.facebook.com/Hawaii099/videos/2015734285344246/?t=2
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 05/14/18 08:46 PM

If I had two vehicles (let alone more) and had to bug out quickly I would almost certainly be stuck leaving car(s) behind.
Posted By: CarolRiamolL

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 01/26/21 09:39 PM

Advertising spam deleted.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 01/26/21 09:55 PM

Spam incoming...

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 01/26/21 10:49 PM

They like ole Hags posts.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 01/27/21 12:01 AM

I wonder if he’s in Melbourne, Australia or the much more famous Melbourne, Florida? wink
Posted By: Chucky

Re: When Real Estate Runs Out of Time - 02/04/21 12:28 PM

Just the usual spam. They have now put a link into their post,reported to admin.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums