homepage

Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit

Posted By: JimK

Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/14/18 04:06 PM

This will be the 4th snowstorm to hit us in 3 weeks. And this is by far the worth of them. If we get the amount of snow predicted, roofs are going to
collapse all over the place from the weight of thew heavy wet snow.

Blizzard Warning
Posted By: Clydewinder

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/14/18 04:21 PM

freezing rain here today

i am hoping that this extended & very cold winter at least takes a chunk out of the mosquito population this summer
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/14/18 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by JimK
This will be the 4th snowstorm to hit us in 3 weeks. And this is by far the worth of them. If we get the amount of snow predicted, roofs are going to
collapse all over the place from the weight of thew heavy wet snow.

I would have moved south long before I got to your age. I spent my college years in the UP of Michigan so I knew better than to settle down at that latitude.
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/14/18 04:58 PM

And here I am still fascinated by snow. At least when it's fresh and white. Not when it's all slushy and brown.

Also never equated snow with bad weather. I just thought summers were sunny and winters were snowy.

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/14/18 05:43 PM

Right now visibility is only about 200 ft at best. Not looking forward to having to drive out to Walmart to pick my wife from work. Really bad out there.
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/14/18 05:48 PM

Good Lord, I'm glad that I don't live up there anymore. I remember that one morning I had to go the work and everything, including my car, was under snow. The car had been parked out in the street, so I had to get my ass up and start uncovering it and then digging a pathway out onto the street. No sooner do I get done, when this big snowplow comes along and reburies the car!! I couldn't believe it after all that work.
I went right to the phone and called my employer. "I'm sick," I said. "I won't be in today!" I went back to bed.

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/14/18 05:54 PM

Almost all the roads out of here are now closed. Even in town they say no travel recommended.

Roads Closed
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/14/18 05:55 PM

Hmm, and here it is over 80 and I am almost considering putting the A/C on.
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/14/18 06:10 PM

I'm in central Florida, just outside of Orlando. I just cleaned the pool, then put the a/c on. We have some people coming over later, and we may take a dip. Screw cold weather. I hate it.

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/14/18 06:13 PM

I will enjoy the warmer weather with a new appreciation now. Just need to keep telling myself this.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/14/18 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pooch
I'm in central Florida, just outside of Orlando. I just cleaned the pool, then put the a/c on. We have some people coming over later, and we may take a dip. Screw cold weather. I hate it.

Same here. Wife spent most of the day by the pool while I was puttering around doing my stuff. Drained the gas in the motorcycle so now I’m going to pull the carb and deep clean and adjust it.

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/14/18 07:32 PM

Just got back in blowing snow to clear the driveways and sidewalk entry`s. Lost cause, picked up close 8 inches since 10am and blowing so hard I could not
see what I had done. Got a good share of it and gave up. Had to pull it back into the garage to let it air out. To much moisture and it all fogged up inside making
it even harder to see. At the rate the snow is falling, we should have over a foot in a couple hours.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/15/18 12:24 PM

Us English are browned-off with this winter, not only the snow causing disruption but the constant overcast and rain. Next week temperatures are predicted to soar to the mid twenties (70s F) so we will be like "it's too 'ot; I domn't like it when it's too 'ot....."
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/15/18 02:26 PM

cold and rainy in nyc, knocking out this iteneray. between 30,000 - 45,000 steps a day, insane place. already lost a pants size.

better cold than hot (last couple of days), zaps your energy and too much stink (curb garbage and manhole sewer venting).

cold much better, romantic, snow flurries, kissing under empire state building after midnight. love this place, when it’s not hot.

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/15/18 02:36 PM

I am screwed now. Started blowing snow around 5:30am and was making progress until the wiper arm assembly decided break off and fall into the blower.
We have about 15 inches now and still snowing hard. Any progress I made before this has been lost and now can`t blow snow when I can`t see where I am
going.
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/15/18 02:47 PM

Weather here in the Houston area has been really nice for a month now with afternoon temps in the 70's and low humidity. This morning it was 49 F
Posted By: Clydewinder

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/15/18 06:32 PM

I am screwed now. Started blowing snow around 5:30am and was making progress until the wiper arm assembly decided break off and fall into the blower.
We have about 15 inches now and still snowing hard. Any progress I made before this has been lost and now can`t blow snow when I can`t see where I am
going.

oof that sucks. what was supposed to be rain here turned into 3 inches of heavy snow, like a driveway full of slushy snowcone. broke 1 shovel this morning, another a few mins ago. plow came through and left a glacier at the end of the drive.... i rammed the back of my car into it at full speed coming down the driveway ramp and cut a path big enough to drive in & out. i'm just going to leave it until it melts. i refuse to buy a new snow shovel in april

...still snowing...

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/15/18 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Clydewinder
going.

oof that sucks. what was supposed to be rain here turned into 3 inches of heavy snow, like a driveway full of slushy snowcone. broke 1 shovel this morning, another a few mins ago. plow came through and left a glacier at the end of the drive.... i rammed the back of my car into it at full speed coming down the driveway ramp and cut a path big enough to drive in & out. i'm just going to leave it until it melts. i refuse to buy a new snow shovel in april

...still snowing...

Called in a snow removal crew that also take care of the lawn while on vacation. We are #40 on their list to get to. At least I got the driveways to the garage doors opened at 6:30am.
Another 4 to 5 fell since, hard to tell where I have cleared. Nervous wreck since its been my responsibility to keep this place clean. Was always the first cleaned out around here. Feel
kinda useless right now. Just need to learn to relax and enjoy what I don`t have to do.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/15/18 07:45 PM

Had a dusting of snow last night but by noon had melted. The percip has now turned to freezing rain.
Posted By: Rambler

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/16/18 05:54 PM

Lived in Fargo, ND for three years. It was a great adventure and I made some life long friends from my time there, but I never, ever, ever want to see snow like that or feel cold like that again in my life. Y'all can keep that bs.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/16/18 05:59 PM

It's no accident why people keep coming to Florida in droves.....
Posted By: Chef

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/16/18 06:57 PM

It's like an elephant graveyard. It's where old Yankees go to die. The mountains of NC are where they go when the hurricanes in Florida scare the crap out of them,

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/17/18 01:24 AM

Since it stopped snowing and my snow removal crew never showed I went did anyways. Without a wiper, at least it was sunny and wind down to 20mph.
Was able keep ahead of wind changes and it off. 16 inches of heavy wet snow, it loves to snowball in front of the blower. Getting huge pile in front of it
before it suddenly gets sucked in the blower about stops. Was a painfully long time moving it, more like plowing.

And now another winter storm is on the way for Wednesday, with another 3-6 inches. More scraper bar and shoes are about gone and parts in heavy demand.
And without a wiper, not safe to operate if it snowing.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/17/18 01:44 AM

I admire your commitment. You do not shrink from the hard that must be done.
Posted By: Mad Max

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/17/18 02:19 AM

It snows here once a year for one day. The kids love it.

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/17/18 01:10 PM

Few shots from the Blizzard. My deck is 5ft above ground level. Notice the drift is level with it. Had even bigger drifts in my parking lot created by cars.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pOonXPJhyeHBCZvp2
Posted By: Dart

Re: Winter won`t give up. I am ready to Quit - 04/17/18 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by cichlidfan
Hmm, and here it is over 80 and I am almost considering putting the A/C on.

LOL, our Central Air unit is so confused.

Turned from heat to cool and back again on a day-to-day basis for the last two weeks.

We should be turning to full Summer in a couple weeks, though. My barn swallows made an appearance last week!

Right now I'm just miffed that every damned day the winds are above ten miles an hour....no flying!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums