homepage

I feel sick...

Posted By: Crane Hunter

I feel sick... - 03/19/18 04:18 AM

My dad is in the process of cleaning up a great aunt's house to sell, and last week he apparently found a rifle buried in a closet.

He is not a gun guy, to say the least, and he couldn't even begin to tell me what kind it was, and was at a loss at what to do with it. Of course I say I was able to take it, since I have a license, and was to pick it up tomorrow.

I said WAS, as I called him earlier only to find out that he'd reported it to the police and they had came and seized it, apparently along with some handgun ammo.

Alrighty then.

The sickening part was that he sent me a picture of another component that he'd since found, an M1 Garand clip. Yup, it looks like I might have lost out on a free Garand, all because he didn't bother to call me or wait another day or two.

What's more is the police are concerned that there is at least one firearm, possibly a handgun, in the home, and hopefully they don't end up tearing the place apart to try to find it.
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 05:26 AM

You can't have an M1 in Canada? I don't think you even need to register those in the US...maybe you do. I had to register my AR-15. That does suck...M-1s are hard to find and buy. We have to go through the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) who are about the only ones allowed to sell M-1s for the gov't. They're also the only avenue for us to buy military surplus 1911 .45s.

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Weasel_Keeper
You can't have an M1 in Canada? I don't think you even need to register those in the US...maybe you do. I had to register my AR-15. That does suck...M-1s are hard to find and buy. We have to go through the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) who are about the only ones allowed to sell M-1s for the gov't. They're also the only avenue for us to buy military surplus 1911 .45s.

We're allowed them, they're classified as nonrestricted. And since it was apparently purchased back in the '60s, long before there was licensing or a (now abolished) nonrestricted registry, no one would have been the wiser if he hadn't called the police.

Garands are worth considerably more up here, if this rifle was in any kind of decent shape it would have went for at least $1800. Not that I would have sold it with that much family history behind it.
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 07:03 AM

On the CMP website to buy a decent M-1 Garand...it's anywhere from $650 to $1088 for a "field grade" rifle.
I feel your pain. One of my great uncles brought back an M-1 from WWII. It was supposed to be at my great gradndfather's house...and as of now everyone who was alive at the time or had anything to do with it has died...it's long gone and I have no idea where it went.
Posted By: DM

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 09:44 AM

Oh man.
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 12:01 PM

Doh!!!
Posted By: Chef

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 12:43 PM

So umm...

About 40 years ago my father gave me a P38 Mauser Grey Ghost pistol. Pretty much like this:

P38 Mauser

Don't really have any paperwork on it. The cops can't take it can they? I have no intention of ever selling it because of sentimental reasons but I don't want it to be an issue. I was a kid when he gave it to me. I never gave it much thought.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 12:45 PM

banghead duh cuss2 skyisfalling mad
Posted By: David Kennard

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
We're allowed them, they're classified as nonrestricted. And since it was apparently purchased back in the '60s, long before there was licensing or a (now abolished) nonrestricted registry . . . .

. . . . with that much family history behind it.

For those reasons can you not get it back, as in your father realized that with the family history he thinks it should be passed down?
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 01:28 PM

All sorts of "war surplus" rifles kicking around up here.......mostly .303 Lee Enfields a few M1s and there used to a fair number of old Mausers smile
Posted By: NH2112

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 02:08 PM

I bet some cop is showing off his new Garand to his friends.

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 02:33 PM

Chef, checked the NC laws and you are good to go. No notification or registration required.

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by NH2112
I bet some cop is showing off his new Garand to his friends.

THIS!!!

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by David Kennard

For those reasons can you not get it back, as in your father realized that with the family history he thinks it should be passed down?

Nope its gone, and it might even be destroyed apparently. Grrr!
Posted By: Pooch

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 04:29 PM

I hate to say it, but I'd probably be so p.o.'d at my father that I wouldn't be able to talk to him for a while. And yeah, that's in some cop's collection, right now. Geez!

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 05:42 PM

Yeah I'm pissed, mostly because he went ahead and did it after we'd agreed that I'd take it.

That kind of boneheaded unilateral decision reversal seems to be a reoccurring theme around here, and you have no idea how frustrating it is.

I just hope for his and my aunt's sake that the police don't end up tearing the house apart and possibly laying charges, or if nothing else, pocketing a few items as they pick through everything.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: I feel sick... - 03/19/18 06:56 PM

Yep, that truly sucks.
Posted By: Forward Observer

Re: I feel sick... - 03/20/18 01:34 AM

Shame about the police getting the rifle instead of a family member who would appreciate it.

However, there is some good news for those in the US who want a classic gov issue 1911, M1 Garand, or M1 carbine.

The CMP hasn't had any 1911 nor M1 carbines to sell for years and the M1 Garands had all but dried up last year. There were more out there to be had from former lend lease countries, but Obama had them all stalled----at least until he left office.

However, just in the last six months or so---two new infusions of both the 1911 and the M1 Garand will be coming through CMP. About 100,000 of the 1911 are in preparation (arsenal quality rework, inspection, and grading) and should go on the market in the next few months. They are only going to be selling 8 to 10k per year as they come available. I believe these are coming from old US stores.

In addition, they also have 100,000 M1 Garands coming from Turkey and the Philippines.

Even more on the horizon from Korea are another 80,000 Garands plus a whopping 600,000 M1 carbines.

Realize that like most of the items that have come out of the CMP for years, these firearms will be mix masters of parts since all of them have had arsenal rebuilds over the years.

Here's an article about the upcoming CMP releases

https://bearingarms.com/patrick-r/2018/03/01/100k-m1-garands-to-be-released/

Cheers

Re: I feel sick... - 03/21/18 02:47 AM

Still pouting, no BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM Piiiiinnngggg for me, at least not without shelling out at least $1200 just for a beater.
Posted By: Dart

Re: I feel sick... - 03/21/18 05:36 AM

[Alabama]

What is this "registration" of firearms you speak of?

[/Alabama]
© 2024 SimHQ Forums