homepage

Amelia Earhart found again.

Posted By: Fitz505

Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/08/18 11:05 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/skeletal-remains-belonged-amelia-earhart-article-1.3861346

Time for a new History Channel special.

He's 99% sure it's her. Of course, his theory is based on measurements of bones, which no longer exist.
Posted By: trindade

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/08/18 02:43 PM

popcorn
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/08/18 03:03 PM

This is not directed at you Fitz but enough already with Amelia Earhart. How many movies and documentaries have we already had about her? I've lost count.

And when you objectively look at it, she's not even a very important historical figure.
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/09/18 04:44 AM

Don't they do this once a year? biggrin
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/09/18 06:05 AM

The last series I watched about her a couple years back was just like every other freaking "discovery" type reality TV crap.

Oh, we have three weeks (just an example) to do some diving and exploring of uncharted islands...but the water is too rough or cloudy to dive...or, we damaged some equipment so we're SOL...

It's about like that Oak Island show that's been on for what seems like 10 years (because all it does is drags), and every year they get close to something...but something messes up...so wait for next season. Bleh.
Posted By: DM

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/09/18 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Fitz505
his theory is based on measurements of bones, which no longer exist.

There's other evidence too - some navigation equipment known to be carried by the navigator.

Sounds like she came to a miserable end frown
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/09/18 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by DM
Originally Posted by Fitz505
his theory is based on measurements of bones, which no longer exist.

There's other evidence too - some navigation equipment known to be carried by the navigator.

Sounds like she came to a miserable end frown

Yep. I think she and Noonan died on Gardner island and those bones were indeed hers.
Posted By: Khai

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/09/18 02:28 PM

" Amelia Earhart found again."

Can we stop losing her?

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/09/18 02:38 PM

Earhart has turned into another "Al Capone's vault". I'm surprised Geraldo Rivera hasn't hosted an Amelia Earhart special yet.
Posted By: Chef

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/09/18 03:01 PM

At this point she has fewer secrets to reveal than Victoria...
Posted By: Chef

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/09/18 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Weasel_Keeper
It's about like that Oak Island show that's been on for what seems like 10 years (because all it does is drags), and every year they get close to something...but something messes up...so wait for next season. Bleh.

Yeah...never watched that show but I remember it from "In Search Of" In Search Of - The Money Pit

I loved that show as a kid. About the only thing that was ever possibly "legit" from that show was the one about the Coral Castle. That one is still an interesting mystery.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/09/18 04:55 PM

I watched a couple episodes of Curse of Oak Island. Repitive them finding “ interesting” clues that wind up going nowhere. Got boring quickly.

I’ve been to Coral Castle. Pretty impressive building by one man.
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/10/18 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
I watched a couple episodes of Curse of Oak Island. Repitive them finding “ interesting” clues that wind up going nowhere. Got boring quickly.

I’ve been to Coral Castle. Pretty impressive building by one man.

I spent two weeks in Homestead FL at Homestead AFB...didn't visit the Coral Castle...and I'm kicking myself for it...lol.
Posted By: coasty

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/10/18 11:18 PM

I watch oak island on the DVR only, otherwise too much repetition. they just found a searcher shaft, waiting to see how that pans out.
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/11/18 05:38 AM

they found a what ?
Posted By: coasty

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 03/14/18 10:16 PM

excavation made by previous treasure seekers (searchers)
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 01/29/24 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
This is not directed at you Fitz but enough already with Amelia Earhart. How many movies and documentaries have we already had about her? I've lost count.

And when you objectively look at it, she's not even a very important historical figure.

Not important? She showed women at the time they could be more than just housewives or secretaries. That they could do things men can do in a men's world like flying airplanes, which were still a new thing.

You will be joyful to know Earhart been found again.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...a-earharts-lost-plane-pacific-rcna136134

Is this Amelia Earhart’s long-lost plane? Explorer believes he’s solved the great mystery with sonar

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/29/1227574179/amelia-earharts-lost-plane-howland-island

all related web articles put together by Google News, long link shortened with TinyUrl

http://tinyurl.com/mvcfrhnv

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 01/29/24 11:08 PM

I’ll wait and see.

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 01/29/24 11:43 PM

NFB must be the unofficial dead thread reviver.
Posted By: rollnloop.

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 01/30/24 06:04 AM

Thanks NFB, let's wait for their next trip with camera now.
Posted By: Allen

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 02/02/24 09:33 PM

Not the kind post I normally make. But, just for fun smile

This was found relatively near to where her aircraft was said to be lost.

Sonar imagery may have revealed Amelia Earhart’s long-lost plane, researchers say

With sonar imaging, a company has spotted an anomaly 16,000 feet deep in the Pacific Ocean that could be Amelia Earhart's aircraft.

“While it is possible that this could be a plane and maybe even Amelia’s plane, it is too premature to say that definitively. It could also be noise in the sonar data, something geologic, or some other plane,” said Andrew Pietruszka, an underwater archaeologist

Attached picture AE Aircraft.jpg
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 02/02/24 10:43 PM

I will be very interested if/when her aircraft or some other evidence of her fate is definitively found.... until then I'm a skeptic.
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 02/02/24 10:58 PM

She disappeared in 1937. Will any aircraft still be intact enough in salt water after so many years to still show as an outline of an aircraft on sonar?

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 02/02/24 11:24 PM

Some of it will be. But less and less as time and corrosion do their work.
Posted By: Allen

Re: Amelia Earhart found again. - 02/03/24 12:26 AM

The article said words to the effect that:

At that depth, corrosion, paint damage and other factors that destroy crashed aircraft over time are very, very slow.

Thus, if they actually recover the craft or get cameras close and photograph it, they they believe they are likely to see its markings. Her aircraft had a very distinctive/unique marking on the wing.

They plan to try and get that close -- eventually. But, the article cautions that until they do, we just don't know anything for sure -- i.e. we can't even be sure its an aircraft.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums