Posted By: F4UDash4

Veteran Pilots Fly the Hun One More Time - 02/24/18 02:12 PM

Moving to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6m5B5TrHJo

Re: Veteran Pilots Fly the Hun One More Time - 02/24/18 02:19 PM

The Air Liaison Officer mentioned in the video above:

LT COL John Joseph Sabatini

LT COL John Joseph Sabatini, US Army, retired, 78, died on Veterans' Day, November 11, 2014. A native of Jersey City, NJ, he had been a Hampton resident since 1985. He was a career military officer and enlisted in the Army at the age of 13. He was on his way to Korea when his father found him and brought him home. His Army career spanned 40 years and he retired in January 1997. He was a great history buff, especially Civil War history, enjoyed metal detecting, and was a member of the VFW, AMVETS, and the Military Order of the Purple Heart. His many citations included the Silver Star, Bronze Star with combat distinguished device "V" (6th award), Bronze Star Medal (2nd award), The Purple Heart, Air Medal with palm, and Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Silver Star. Survivors include his children, James Dennis Sabatini, Veronica Sabatini Vervalin, and William Joseph Sabatini; his companion, Kathleen Mary Akridge; two step-sons, Jason Akridge and Nathan Akridge; a sister, Jo-Ann S. Kelly; two grandchildren, Jennifer Jabara and John Christopher Sabatini; and one great-grandson, Jack Jabara. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 11:00 AM on Saturday, November 15, 2014 at St. Mary Star of the Sea Catholic Church. The family will receive friends from 7-8pm Friday at R. Hayden Smith Funeral Home. Interment with full military honors will be in Arlington National Cemetery at a later date.
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: Veteran Pilots Fly the Hun One More Time - 02/24/18 06:50 PM

At the 54 second mark if you look under the Hun you can see my Air National Guard base and some of our A-10s.

I get to see Dean Cutshall's Hun fly about every month or so when the weather is nice. He keeps her at our airport across the field from us. His two Crew Chiefs (long retired from the Air Guard) used to work the Huns when they were at my base before we had F-4Cs, F-4Es, F-16C/Ds and now A-10s.

Re: Veteran Pilots Fly the Hun One More Time - 02/24/18 07:05 PM

Very cool Weasel!
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Veteran Pilots Fly the Hun One More Time - 02/24/18 07:37 PM

Great video. Thanks for posting ......why do they call the plane " the hun" ? not a flattering term for RAF types smile
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Veteran Pilots Fly the Hun One More Time - 02/24/18 08:03 PM

That was really cool. smile

Wheels
Posted By: vocatx

Re: Veteran Pilots Fly the Hun One More Time - 02/24/18 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by No105_Archie
......why do they call the plane " the hun" ? not a flattering term for RAF types smile

Hun, short for 'hundred' as in F-100.
Posted By: coasty

Re: Veteran Pilots Fly the Hun One More Time - 02/25/18 11:00 PM

great video, getting to relive those memories. I would love to go aboard my old unit, the Woodrush and set some buoys or break ice again, but she was sold to Ghana many years ago.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums