homepage

Products that work - wireless charging

Posted By: Dart

Products that work - wireless charging - 12/21/17 04:46 AM

My factory refurb Nexus 7 tablet that I bought cheap for use in the Nieuport for data logging and navigation came with a short in the power input connector thingie; getting it to charge with the cable involves fussy positioning and wedging stuff over it to keep connection.

In digging around on the web to see if there was an easy solution to fix the connector - I read that it could be charged by induction. Voodoo magic.

Well, in a fit of frustration, I bought a Honeycomb 5000 for 35 bucks, plugged it in, let it charge up (it's also a battery), and laid the 60% charged tablet on top of it.

Nothing. Rotate it 180 degrees. Nothing.

Bah.

Tell the wife that magic isn't real and she looks down and says "little lightning bolt, reckon it's working. I guess it takes a second or two to kick in."

hahaha

Son of a gun not only charges the tablet, but just as quickly as a cord does. So "thumbs high" on this tech.
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 12/21/17 01:09 PM

I have an inductive charger for my Samsung S7 phone and I love it. Just slap the phone against it and it starts to charge. I only use the cable when I am traveling.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 12/21/17 03:27 PM

Hey! Happy Birthday!
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 12/21/17 03:29 PM

They should all have that by now, but nothing I have does!
Far better than those stupid, fiddly micro usb and lightning cables that often end up screwing up the jack on the phone.
They should all be wireless charging and usb type c.
/rant
Posted By: DM

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 12/21/17 04:18 PM

Yeah I also got a Samsung S7 with wireless. It's great, I just plop the phone down on the plate, don't even need to take it out of the holder. Wireless fast-charging is pure magic, my experience is that it's possibly even better than wired fast-charging. (I suspect sometimes that wired fast-charging will "drop down" to normal charging after a while.)
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 12/21/17 04:19 PM

Sorta related: Fast Charging, pros/cons?

I've disabled fast charging on my S6 just because I suspect it might be hard on the battery/phone. Am I wrong?
Posted By: DM

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 12/21/17 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Sorta related: Fast Charging, pros/cons?

I've disabled fast charging on my S6 just because I suspect it might be hard on the battery/phone. Am I wrong?

I've read a few web-discussions on this, the general consensus is two-fold:
1. Not enough time has elapsed between the introduction of wireless/non-wireless fast-charging and present day to make any concrete opinion.
2. No discussion I've read so far has revealed any problems in this regard.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 12/21/17 04:35 PM

A good way to determine if fast charging is harmful or not is to measure the heat output from the phone as being charged. If it is the same as wired charging or a little bit more, probably isn't an issue. If it is a lot more heat, yeah, probably not a good idea to do it every time. Heat degrades the lifespan of lithium ion batteries:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4526891/
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 12/21/17 04:40 PM

Thanks, I might re enable it. I wish there was a quick simple on/off switch for fast charging, rather than going several menus deep to find the switch. Then I would enable it when I needed it and leave it off when I'm charging overnight and there is no rush.
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 12/21/17 05:05 PM

My non-scientific evidence says that it isn't hurting the battery since I have been doing it for more than a year and the battery seems to hold just as much of a charge as it did when it was new.

@Dart Thanks.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 12/21/17 07:50 PM

Technically the faster the charge rate the worse for any battery, but just how much worse depends on how close to maximum and/or the distance from minimum rate.

For example (just making up numbers here) if you'd normally charge at 10% charge rate (according to BATTERY specification, not any charger) and your "fast charge" was 20% you probably would see no real difference in long term battery performance.

But if your "fast charge" was running at 99% of what the battery could take (as in literally any faster and you're going to destroy the battery) you'd definitely be feeling a lot of heat and feeling the damage in the short term (likely VERY short term).
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 12/21/17 08:48 PM

On the wireless charging topic, I got a Nokia Windows 920 phone years ago that supported wireless charging, and as part of a promotion got a wireless charging station for free. Years later I got a Samsung Galaxy S7 and luckily had kept the old charger, and budda-boom, budda-bing, it works perfectly for the Samsung too. Kind of nice, just come home, pull the phone out and plop it on the charger and grab it and go in the morning - no cables to plug and unplug, etc.
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 12/21/17 09:38 PM

cichlidfan, happy birthday!!

I got a Samsung S8+ this year as an upgrade to my old 3-year old phone and I didn't want to keep plugging in a charging cable and scratch the area around the port so I've been wireless charging ever since. I like it... just plop it down on the charger when I sit down to work on the PC or go flying and it's usually done in an hour or two.
Posted By: RogueSqdn

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 12/21/17 10:35 PM

Got an iPhone X and an Anker wireless charging pad that stays on my nightstand. Love it! thumbsup
Posted By: Falstar

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 12/21/17 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by - Ice
cichlidfan, happy birthday!!

I got a Samsung S8+ this year as an upgrade to my old 3-year old phone and I didn't want to keep plugging in a charging cable and scratch the area around the port so I've been wireless charging ever since. I like it... just plop it down on the charger when I sit down to work on the PC or go flying and it's usually done in an hour or two.

And with the "c" usb cable, no more looking for the correct cable to charge with.
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 12/22/17 02:39 PM

What Arthonon said, I too had a Nokia 920 with the wireless charging. That was really the only way I charged it, and the battery held up fantastic until I replaced the phone 3 years later.
Posted By: Falstar

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 01/02/18 11:45 PM

I got my sons Samsung S6 as a hand me down after he updated to a S8. Due to this thread I remembered he had and inductive charger for the S6, so dug it out of the closet. Couldn't get it to charge a completely dead phone, but maybe I didn't give it enough time. the charging light didn't come on, so plugged it in the old way and it started charging right away.
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Products that work - wireless charging - 01/03/18 12:17 AM

It sometimes takes a second or two (or more) for the charging to start and you have to have the phone placed exactly right with maybe a few mm or a cm tolerance. I'm not sure with the charger you're using but with what I have, there's a light on the charger to tell me when it's charging and it'll go green when the charge is complete.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 SimHQ Forums