homepage

Cessna Intercept by F-16s

Posted By: bones

Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 11/30/17 05:29 PM

v6,
boNes
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 11/30/17 06:43 PM

Must've been hard slowing down that much so as not to be a blur from the Cessna's POV smile Might've been more appropriate to send Warthogs!
Posted By: JimK

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 11/30/17 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by - Ice
Must've been hard slowing down that much so as not to be a blur from the Cessna's POV smile Might've been more appropriate to send Warthogs!

That would give the pilot a heart attack. A-10 come to visit. No thanks.

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 11/30/17 07:20 PM

Well, that's the whole point of the intercept, is it not? smile Plus the Warthog can probably fly formation and fly close enough to scare the Cessna pilot to change course. After all, I'm sure the Hog can survive a small nudge but the Cessna would probably end up spinning to the ground....
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 11/30/17 07:56 PM

So........maybe I'm missing something here..........they actually launched two fighters at public cost just so these guys could have a news clip ? or would this have been part of a regular practice drill ?
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 11/30/17 09:05 PM

I am surprised that they don’t have two interceptors on cockpit alert at the TFR. It isn’t the time to takeoff and fly, it is the time required to suit-up and get in the plane.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 11/30/17 09:08 PM

Would have been cool to see them put out a few flares in front of them. biggrin

I think this was staged. They would be crazy to try that unannounced.
Posted By: bones

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 11/30/17 09:12 PM

I think it was staged because I can't imagine someone purposely breaking TFRs just to show the world what happens. Those pilots would be fined and disciplined, especially when ignoring ATC calls.

I think it was probably a collaboration between the government and the news station to get the word out---but then why not do it with a national news agency rather than a local one?

v6,
boNes

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 11/30/17 09:15 PM

It was definitely staged. Local news station because National Guard is a State and not National asset.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 11/30/17 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by bones
I think it was staged because I can't imagine someone purposely breaking TFRs just to show the world what happens. Those pilots would be fined and disciplined, especially when ignoring ATC calls.

I think it was probably a collaboration between the government and the news station to get the word out---but then why not do it with a national news agency rather than a local one?

v6,
boNes

As said in the clip, it was staged.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/01/17 12:57 AM

I like the story about the little old lady in her J3 Cub that took off from her grass strip and got into President Obama's TFR.

She played dumb, waved at the fighters that whooshed past her, and landed at her destination on the edge of it.

Met with a bunch of law enforcement, she went into harmless grandma mode ("I thought they just liked my little Cub!") and got off with a warning.

Of course she was a ferry pilot in WWII with tons of aviation experience - and the second she saw them figured it out. But she also knew how to work the system.

smile

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/01/17 01:19 AM

Smart lady!! smile
Posted By: Master

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/01/17 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Originally Posted by bones

v6,
boNes

As said in the clip, it was staged.

Also the plane they were in had huge ID logos on the fuselage so the jets would have known what was up as soon as they had visual anyways even if it wasnt staged. (which it is possible it was a planned exercise and the pilots didnt know it was at the time.)
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/01/17 02:16 AM

I wonder if the F-16 pilot's call-sign was Bronco?
Posted By: Murphy

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/01/17 06:53 AM

I didn't watch the video, but I don't have to.........I knew sooner or later OG would end up being chased by an F-16, or maybe an F-18 over water, near the coastline. It was inevitable.

I told him not to mount those .30 cal's.

Does he listen......NOOooooooooooooo...........
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/01/17 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
I didn't watch the video, but I don't have to.........I knew sooner or later OG would end up being chased by an F-16, or maybe an F-18 over water, near the coastline. It was inevitable.

Is that a cardinal rule Murphy?

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/01/17 12:43 PM

Cardinal rule. Good play on words Alicatt. An obscure reference.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/01/17 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Alicatt
Originally Posted by Murphy

Is that a cardinal rule Murphy?

Merely 1 of 177 of them... wink
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/01/17 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by No105_Archie
So........maybe I'm missing something here..........they actually launched two fighters at public cost just so these guys could have a news clip ? or would this have been part of a regular practice drill ?

my guess it was during a drill, the 104th FW in MA holds these probably every 3rd month or so with CAP. They announce it in the paper so people aren't freaking out when they see a fighter going after a small private plane.

years back when Bush JR was in office and they used to go up to summer in Kennebunkport I saw AF 1 fly over my house as he went from Manchester NH to Sanford ME. It's probably only only a 15 min flight max so they were around 4-5K feet. Not more than a minute after AF1 went over I could hear fighters ripping up the sky. Here's this little Cessna flying in the same direction as the President. They had him land at a very small airport in our town, Secret Service, State and Local police all met him there and were searching his plane by the time I got over there. The F-16 was still circling overhead the entire time...

Idiot flew down from MT Washington and obviously didn't check the NOTAMs prior to departing...

These are the notices they put out about this

Media Advisory — 1o4th Fighter Wing
July 14, 2014

104fw.pa@ang.af.mil
413-568-9151 x698-1263
Senior Master Sgt. Robert J. Sabonis, Public Affairs Manager

The 104th FW is scheduled to conduct a practice scramble of two F-15 Eagles on July 16, 2014 from approximately 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. The intercept mission will occur over the northern Massachusetts, southern Vermont and eastern New York area, so those communities are anticipated to be affected by increased flying activity. Affected communities include the North Adams, Williamstown, MA; Brattleboro, Bennington, Shaftsbury, and Manchester Falls, VT; Lake George, Cambridge, Glens Falls, and Granville, NY areas.

The F-15 fighter jets will train with the Civil Air Patrol. The Civil Air Patrol will be flying a low-speed civilian propeller aircraft. This exercise is conducted to facilitate training for alert pilots on intercept procedures, ensuring the Massachusetts Air National Guard is prepared to defend the Northeast airspace against any airborne threat.

These exercises are carefully planned, closely controlled and include exercising airspace restriction violations, hijackings and responding to unknown aircraft. Communities in the mentioned area may experience increased aircraft activity during the duration of this exercise.
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/01/17 05:05 PM

This stuff happens in the DC area on a regular basis and also along the route from DC to Camp David.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/02/17 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dart
I like the story about the little old lady in her J3 Cub that took off from her grass strip and got into President Obama's TFR.

She played dumb, waved at the fighters that whooshed past her, and landed at her destination on the edge of it.

Met with a bunch of law enforcement, she went into harmless grandma mode ("I thought they just liked my little Cub!") and got off with a warning.

Of course she was a ferry pilot in WWII with tons of aviation experience - and the second she saw them figured it out. But she also knew how to work the system.

smile

Myrtle Rose was a wee bit young to be a ferry pilot during WW2 but the rest of the story is on the money.
Source: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44037919/...ot-wood-and-fabric-plane-called-winston/
She was 75 years old in 2011.

Best line of the whole article.
Rose said she does have a bone to pick with NORAD, or whoever released the information about her close encounter with the jets.

"The worst part is they put my age in there," she said. "I don't think that was nice."

Wheels
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/02/17 09:18 PM

Back in the mid-seventies I was a student pilot. I was on my final solo cross country. Triangular route. Stop at two airports and come home. Found the first one like a champ. Boy, was I proud of myself. Yeah, this is a cinch, I got this! Head for my second destination and.....I'M LOST!!
I don't know where the hell I am. Only that I'm someplace over Connecticut. Suddenly a roar as two F-100's, one on each wing, come flashing past me. They circle, I.D. me, and and probably got on the radio and said, "Aw, it's nuthin'....just another lost idiot student pilot." I think that I may have flown over the submarine base at Groton.

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/03/17 07:02 PM

A guy I used to fly with was on his first solo at Wick airport flying a Cessna 150, he made a hash of his first attempted landing and requested a go-around, he was advised to get on with it as there was other traffic coming in and he would not get a 3rd attempt.

So round he went and in the distance two RAF Jaguars from Lossiemouth were on long finals, they went low overhead the airport as the 150 touched down. The guy got his PPL and not to long after it he lost it with an incident at the local army firing range.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/03/17 07:04 PM

The guy got his PPL and not to long after it he lost it with an incident at the local army firing range.

You can't leave the story at that! wink

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/03/17 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by F4UDash4
The guy got his PPL and not to long after it he lost it with an incident at the local army firing range.

You can't leave the story at that! wink

I've told it here before smile

Anyway the aircraft in question is a Druine Turbulent a home built aircraft that the guy had bought 2nd hand and was restoring while learning to fly with the Highland Aeroclub. I have flown with him once after he got his PPL and would never fly with him again even if you paid me to.

The aircraft was completed and then inspected by the CAA engineer and certified for trials towards flight, the guy was too inexperienced to do the trials so the assistant instructor from the club who lived locally did them instead. Eventually she was certified and allowed to fly so Ian the assistant instructor flew a cross country flight to Moray and back. On take off from Moray the undercarriage broke (AAIB Report: Druine_Turbulent_G-APTZ_09-84.pdf ) a helicopter was scrambled to intercept him and give him the bad news. He managed to land safely and leg collapsed completely on the roll out.

Later after the owner had got his licence and had repaired the aircraft he took off from Wick and the tower fired a red flare to signal to him that he could not land back there, he had a grass strip in a field beside his house and he then based himself out of there. A few months later he was flying over Wick town and to the south when for some god only knows reason he decided to buzz the soldiers shooting on the rifle range, he did a touch and go between the butts and the firing point, the officer in charge said at the guy's trial that automatic machine gun fire went over the top of the aircraft at one point. When he finally landed at his home the police were waiting for him and he got arrested and charged with reckless endangerment which lead to him losing his pilot's licence.

Subsequently other things came to light about him of a serious nature and he ended up in jail and then deported back to Germany.

I have looked for court reports about the incident on the range but cannot find any, it was reported in the local paper the John O'Groat Journal back then.

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/03/17 08:48 PM

Why did the tower red light him ? What was the problem with him landing at Wick ?

Re: Cessna Intercept by F-16s - 12/03/17 09:14 PM

he was a bit reckless in everything he did, and managed to get on the wrong side of the controllers at Wick Airport. They did not want him back at the airport once he had left, at least he did have his own field beside his house and he flew from there.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums