homepage

Italian Eurofighter Typhoon crash

Posted By: trindade

Italian Eurofighter Typhoon crash - 09/25/17 09:04 AM

https://theaviationist.com/2017/09/...ng-terracina-airshow-killing-test-pilot/

frown
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: Italian Eurofighter Typhoon crash - 09/25/17 09:13 AM

why oh why do pilots keep doing moves like that so low to the ground. every year same thing... bleh frown
Posted By: DaBBQ

Re: Italian Eurofighter Typhoon crash - 09/25/17 10:12 AM

Overconfidence. You never see a pilot worried about doing a basic loop and alway the other guy that bought the farm until the final moments that you realize that you're the other guy to everyone else
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Italian Eurofighter Typhoon crash - 09/25/17 10:17 AM

That would likely have been a test pilot with many thousand of jet hours and a huge amount on the EF. Flying a many-times rehearsed display routine.

Not sure if a simple "oops, didn't calculate right" is going to explain this.
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: Italian Eurofighter Typhoon crash - 09/25/17 11:31 AM

it very very rarely ends up being anything other than "oops, i didn't calculate it right"

it's the same old accident every single year. the move should be banned from airshows as should anything over 45 degrees bank for heavy class transport aircraft. this has got to be the number one killer of airshow pilots.
Posted By: Falstar

Re: Italian Eurofighter Typhoon crash - 09/25/17 11:59 AM

"This is the second deadly crash of a Typhoon in little less than two weeks: a RSAF Typhoon combat aircraft involved in a mission against Houthi fighters over Yemen crashed into a mountain in Al Wade’a district on Sept. 13, 2017."

Don't think I have heard about that one.
Posted By: FourSpeed

Re: Italian Eurofighter Typhoon crash - 09/25/17 07:49 PM

Pure speculation, but looking at the videos, and considering the fact that it was at the high-G end of the bottom of the loop, and there was no attempt to eject, I'd speculate that the pilot suffered GLOC (ie. Blacked Out) and went into the drink.

Whatever the actual cause turns out to be, it's sad news -- R.I.P. -- condolences to friends and family of the pilot.

Regards,
4 <S!>
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: Italian Eurofighter Typhoon crash - 09/26/17 04:55 AM

:-/ That was hard to watch, RIP
© 2024 SimHQ Forums