homepage

Good Neighbours

Posted By: KraziKanuK

Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 02:59 PM

No, not the ones you see on TV, these guys are for real.

Hundreds and hundreds of small boats pulled by countless pickups and SUVs from across the South are headed for Houston. Almost all of them driven by men. They're using their own property, sacrificing their own time, spending their own money, and risking their own lives for one reason: to help total strangers in desperate need.

Most of them are by themselves. Most are dressed like the redneck duck hunters and bass fisherman they are. Many are veterans. Most are wearing well-used gimme-hats, t-shirts, and jeans; and there's a preponderance of camo. Most are probably gun owners, and most probably voted for Trump.

These are the people the Left loves to hate, the ones Maddow mocks. The ones Maher and Olbermann just *know* they're so much better than.

These are The Quiet Ones. They don't wear masks and tear down statues. They don't, as a rule, march and demonstrate. And most have probably never been in a Whole Foods.

But they'll spend the next several days wading in cold, dirty water; dodging gators and water moccasins and fire ants; eating whatever meager rations are available; and sleeping wherever they can in dirty, damp clothes. Their reward is the tears and the hugs and the smiles from the terrified people they help. They'll deliver one boatload, and then go back for more.

When disaster strikes, it's what men do. Real men. Heroic men. American men. And then they'll knock back a few shots, or a few beers with like-minded men they've never met before, and talk about fish, or ten-point bucks, or the benefits of hollow-point ammo, or their F-150.

And the next time they hear someone talk about "the patriarchy", or "male privilege", they'll snort, turn off the TV and go to bed.

In the meantime, they'll likely be up again before dawn. To do it again. Until the helpless are rescued. And the work's done.

They're unlikely to be reimbursed. There won't be medals. They won't care. They're heroes. And it's what they do.

Taken from a well spoken dude just like most of us.

[img]http://www.flamewarriors.net/index.php?attachment/640-img-1576-jpg/[/img]
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 03:18 PM

salute
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 03:22 PM

How dare these priviledged white males go out there and oppress the hurricane survivors by forcing them to get on their boats!! I'm quite sure these agents of patriarchy don't even ask if these people want to be saved!! No, they just know what's good for these "victims". I bet when on the boat, it's these "superior" white males who drive the boat too, huh?! They don't even ask if these people may want to control the speed and direction of the boat, these agents of patriarchy just drive the people to safety. The nerve!!

I wonder where the feminists are during these times... biggrin

linky

Forward to 2:10 onwards smile Also 3:48...

Kudos to all the normal, everyday heroes who put everything into perspective and show us what really, REALLY matters in life.

End of the day, it does not matter if you're a he/she/they/ze/fairykind. It does not matter if you voted for Trump or Hillary. It does not matter if you pray or don't. It does not matter if the earth is flat or if it's round. It does not matter if the earth is warming up or cooling down or neither. End of the day, your fellow man needs help, and you are the one in a position to make a difference. God bless everyone involved.
Posted By: axman

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 03:23 PM

Yes, and the country is grateful to them all, but.....

"These are the people the Left loves to hate, the ones Maddow mocks. The ones Maher and Olbermann just *know* they're so much better than."

....and not a one of them could possibly be a Democrat? I find that hard to believe.......

I fail to see why the right has a monopoly on compassion.

This is headed to PWEC.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 03:24 PM

Well said Ice.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 03:38 PM

I'm sure nobody asked to see anybody's ID or voter registration cards before they pulled them out of the water. The people in their nice suits and big eyeglasses will do all the moral preening and judging on TV, while the majority of people will just go out and help their fellow man in need.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 03:48 PM

Meanwhile they get shot at by looters.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 04:22 PM

But those good Ole Boys are the type who will shoot back
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 04:22 PM

"And most have probably never been in a Whole Foods"

.... that's it ! I'll swim
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 04:27 PM

Whole Foods is owned by Amazon now so their prices are coming down!!

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by rwatson
But those good Ole Boys are the type who will shoot back

That's when you will finally see it in the news. biggrin
Posted By: Aullido

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 05:27 PM

Speaking about neighbors, Would Mexico's help offer be accepted? It could be a very charged political topic right now.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 05:35 PM

They sent a parade of trucks already the other day. Gladly accepted from my understanding.
Posted By: Fittop

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 06:37 PM

Those quiet heroes do deserve recognition and I hope they get it. They saw a need and acted.

Bet none of them asked for, nor were they asked for papers before someone got in their boats. It was just human beings helping others.

Also bet there were other friends and family members who sorted clothing, built cots and cooked and cleaned.

I salute and thank them all.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Aullido
Speaking about neighbors, Would Mexico's help offer be accepted? It could be a very charged political topic right now.

I have no hard feelings toward Mexico or Mexicans at all, as long as they obey US law. Crossing the border without permission is illegal, whether it is a Mexican doing it, a Canadian, a Brazilian or anyone else.
Posted By: Sunchaser

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 08:54 PM

This is all that really matters.
[Linked Image]
Replace the carrier with any color and you see what is going on all over southeast Texas and parts of Louisiana.

All the rest is irrelevant.

We and all of my kids got through OK. There was flooding at every property but the water never got in our houses, I consider it a miracle.

Our subdivision has a high and low end with Mayde Creek bayou running the length of it, the high end was spared major damage on Monday when the bayou broke though a small park 1 house away from me and into the already flooded streets.
It only ever got to my back door.

Starting 4 houses down the street the water got in and the lower end, about 1/2 mile down was already under.
My son took us out Monday afternoon and we came home the next day, expecting carnage but fortune smiled.

The area covered by the wind and water damage extends several hundred miles to the East and West of me, I am in the West Houston/Katy area and there are thousands of still flooded out houses.
We hope for the safety of all affected.
Posted By: JimK

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 08:58 PM

Here is a tough one, how many Texans that were flooded out not home owners. Average Joe citizen living from paycheck to paycheck. Guess what, your rent is do and
you have no money to pay it since you spent your money staying dry. Bet this number is pretty high.

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by JimK
Here is a tough one, how many Texans that were flooded out not home owners. Average Joe citizen living from paycheck to paycheck. Guess what, your rent is do and
you have no money to pay it since you spent your money staying dry. Bet this number is pretty high.

How many of those people are out of work now because of the storm, now they really have money problems. I think after the initial trauma of just getting to safe dry land, the long term fight for survival starts. People are going to get tired and frustrated. The media will go away soon, and the fight will continue. The good deeds will continue too, along with the bad deeds. I think we under estimate how tough people are today.

I know some one who went to help in the after math of 9-11. She is now living will debilitating health issues from being there, some 15 years later. I hope these hero's don't face the same thing.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/01/17 10:23 PM

The next issue are claims and then years of crooked contractors that do crappy work, run off with money of those ignorant enough to pay up front, or just take off leaving a wreck.
There are only so many good contractors to go around, and most will be from out of state and hard to check out.
Posted By: piper

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/02/17 01:44 AM

From my experience, a tragedy like this is the only thing that brings ALL Americans together. No matter what the news says, I think we're pretty cool.

BTW, anyone heard from guod? I believe he lives in Houston.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/02/17 10:04 AM

Texas version of the 'Dunkirk Spirit'
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Good Neighbours - 09/05/17 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by piper
From my experience, a tragedy like this is the only thing that brings ALL Americans together. No matter what the news says, I think we're pretty cool.

BTW, anyone heard from guod? I believe he lives in Houston.

He was on the Motorsports site two hours ago.

Wheels

Attached picture Guod.jpg
© 2024 SimHQ Forums