homepage

My first open practice on a mx track

Posted By: Force10

My first open practice on a mx track - 07/03/17 06:41 AM

Not too many dirt riders here...but here's a 50 year old rookie trying a muddy track with traffic. I did alright and came off the track in the same shape as I went on, so a good day overall.
They only have two classes, Pro and Novice...I probably could have used a beginner class since I got passed so much.

Here's the link in case your browser doesn't show embedded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyVAPumdUQI&t=3s
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/03/17 08:48 AM

Brave. I'd hate having those other guys next to me wink

As you say this was your first "open practice", what were the previous videos from? I.e. what is the difference?
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/03/17 11:05 AM

Blast from the past! I did some riding at Metcalf in the 80's. Hollister Hills was more fun, but again this is 30 years ago....

Every bike was two stroke back then, if someone said four stroke would eventually dominate we'd say they're crazy!

I got out of dirtbikes mid 90's - saw too many people breaking their backs, necks.....

About to buy my eighth street bike though, swear it's my last, yeah right......

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/03/17 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by RSColonel_131st

As you say this was your first "open practice", what were the previous videos from? I.e. what is the difference?

The other videos were just "trail" riding...this is more motocross on a MX track. I did have one video of me doing this track in the off season bone dry with nobody else on it. This was an actual "event" with a $30 entry fee and 40 other bikes out there in my Novice class. I'm not used to riding in muddy/soupy conditions with rutted corners and a lot of riders out there.

Originally Posted by Zamzow

I got out of dirtbikes mid 90's - saw too many people breaking their backs, necks.....

About to buy my eighth street bike though, swear it's my last, yeah right......

It's funny...I feel the opposite! I rode street bikes from teenager to my late 30's...gave it up cause it's too dangerous. In the dirt...we are all going the same direction and not on our cel phones behind the wheel of a 2 ton killing machine...lol

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/21/17 05:04 AM

Did my first MX race today.

First time lining up at a starting gate and doing a real race. Messed up the start some but finished 8th out of 14.

Posted By: saghen

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/21/17 10:44 AM

That's pretty cool, Force10. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/21/17 12:25 PM

Good race and video.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/21/17 07:53 PM

Thanks guys!

I joined the "Over The Hill Gang" mx racing club. Just a bunch of old timers split up by age group doing races. I'm in the 45-52 class.

Really laid back fun club. Picture a softball beer league...that's pretty much what it's like. (minus the alcohol of course)
Posted By: U-96

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/21/17 08:28 PM

You made it look easy, nice smooth riding. I'm guessing many a noob has planted themselves on their butt or face trying to do that too aggressively.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/21/17 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by U-96
You made it look easy, nice smooth riding. I'm guessing many a noob has planted themselves on their butt or face trying to do that too aggressively.

Thanks!

You're right about the noob part. They had to stop the races for a bit while someone was ambulanced out of there and wait for the replacement ambulance to show up. We saw a Medi-Vac chopper
coming in close by. I hope he's ok.

Maybe just a tad more dangerous than a softball beer league. wink

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/12/17 06:41 PM

I had a decent knock on my trail bike this weekend. I was just trying to get some seat time before my second race this Sunday.

I can't run my red sticker race bike this time of year in California (except in races) so I was on my trail bike working out the riding muscles. I know this TT track real well but I was on auto-pilot and
washed the front wheel over the burm and went down. I was wearing my race vest with no rib protection and bounced off the ribcage a little on the hard pack.

Here's the vid with slo-mo after:

https://youtu.be/_2OKeP6wpCc]
Posted By: JimK

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/12/17 07:44 PM

Keeps it real. That was not to bad, coulda been far worse. Makes me want to buy a motorcycle again. Gotta keep telling myself, just say no.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/12/17 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by JimK
Keeps it real. That was not to bad, coulda been far worse. Makes me want to buy a motorcycle again. Gotta keep telling myself, just say no.

Yeah...pretty mild as far as dirt bike crashes go. My 49 year old bones held up pretty good...should be 100% by race day Sunday. thumbsup

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/20/17 01:08 AM

My 2nd race...wasn't really clicking with the bike. I'm out of shape and was toast by the second moto!

Turn on your sound for the full vibe:

Posted By: Top Gun

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/20/17 01:03 PM

glad to see you did better on the start on the 2nd moto

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/20/17 01:29 PM

I can almost feel the tiredness on the end of the vid wink I know these laps where somehow the throttle hand doesn't want to turn the grip any more...

Cool to see how you keep improving and testing yourself. Had a good laugh at the "Rookie Alert" and glad to see your little off wasn't a big one.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/21/17 01:48 AM

Thanks guys!

You're right RS...I was spent. I was so happy to see the white flag fly on the second moto...that's not the right attitude!...lol

Being so old to start this sport...I need to work on re-growing the tendon that goes from the go-nads to the throttle hand enabling me to twist it more...Ha!

Thanks for watching the vid wink

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/21/17 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Force10
I need to work on re-growing the tendon that goes from the go-nads to the throttle hand enabling me to twist it more...Ha!

LOL, me too.

Our circuit outings are usually 25 minutes in every hour, 5 minutes before end they wave the flag to come in. 20 minutes divided by 2:30 laptime means 10 laps or so.

I usually end up doing the outlap, then two or max three timed laps, and by the fourth I already realize I'm not going to get any faster. Yet my slightly overweight buddy is out there doing his fastest session lap on the 7th or 8th try. I really don't get it... well, actually I do - the more comfortable you are, the less energy you drain.
Posted By: Murphy

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/21/17 03:54 PM

Now we're gonna have to find a replacement for you here at SimHqs, until your out of the hospital.
This is bad.

Hope your bike blows a piston rod.....before you do... wink

Seriously, be careful, nobody thinks it will happen to them.
Until it does.
Old guys don't mend very fast, and as for a moto racer.....you're old biggrin

But good luck, if you must!

Edit;
Just watched the Video.
Great first start......too much clutch, not enough gas?
Been there, done that.
Better than ending up on your back.

Jeez......you ARE too old for that.
If the crash doesn't kill you, the slamming over every hill will break you.
I don't see this ending well.

God speed........... wink

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/21/17 04:59 PM

Murph!

It's great to hear from you...I hope all is going well with you and yours!

Actually...I've accepted the fact that I will break something and get injured eventually, it happens to the best of them and nobody is immune from it in this sport. I've lived a pretty tame life
and haven't done anything remotely as exciting/risky as this...the feeling you get being out there is awesome. Even at the noob/beginner level that I'm at.

I'm finally able to ditch the orange highway worker evaluation vest and I get my number plates before my next race. The next race is a pro track I've seen on tv called Hangtown in Sacremento
at the end of October.

I appreciate the concern though Murph!

Don't be such a stranger!

wink

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/24/17 09:33 PM

I have a motocross race I'm doing on Sunday at a track called Hangtown in Sacramento. I took my trail bike out last weekend to get some seat time and build up some endurance for this weekend's race. It's a trail bike so it's not really made for jumping...I have a MX race bike for that...didn't stop me from doing some small jumps though:

[Linked Image]

...and of course, if you're not crashing...you're not trying hard enough:

[Linked Image]

A little nervous about this track since I've never been there before...it's a Nationals track that the pros race that I've seen on tv. Any positive mojo thrown my way would be appreciated!

smile

Attached picture Hjump.jpg
Attached picture mx.jpg

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/25/17 08:08 AM

You go there and kick some butt. But most importantly: Have fun biggrin

Fingers crossed!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/25/17 12:43 PM

You go there and kick some butt. But most importantly: Have fun biggrin

Fingers crossed!

Ditto. Have fun and stay safe.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/25/17 07:11 PM

Thanks RS & Jim!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/25/17 09:10 PM

I'm enjoying your progresd visible trough this thread smile

It also reminds me of my own thread here where I was charting my own advances in becoming the slowest racedriver on earth. So I think I know the feeling you're enjoying right now biggrin

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/25/17 09:54 PM

It also reminds me of my own thread here where I was charting my own advances in becoming the slowest racedriver on earth. So I think I know the feeling you're enjoying right now biggrin

I Remember reading that thread years ago. Need to dig up your old link.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/25/17 11:06 PM

lol.

I am grateful that there are clubs for us old guys so we can feel like we race motocross. When I'm lined up at the starting gate, I feel and look like a motocross racer...but then the gate drops and that illusion melts away as my lack of riding skills rears it's head. wink

I'm hoping I will have some video of the race of me doing decent! Having fun and coming home in one piece is a win for me though.

Cheers!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/25/17 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by JimK

I Remember reading that thread years ago. Need to dig up your old link.

I would like to check that out!
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/30/17 08:59 AM

I have a motocross race I'm doing on Sunday at a track called Hangtown in Sacramento.

smile

If you ever do that again check out Prairie City near Folsom - mind you it's been over 20 years since I rode dirtbikes there, but that place was a BLAST!

They even have (or did) some small road tracks - I did some YSR-50 racing there (actually with Suzuki RM-80 motors stuffed in them), that was so crazy. These bikes were so tiny, but they'd flip you over in a heartbeat if your wrist didn't know what it was doing, and they'd go 100mph with the right gearing (at Prairie City we'd gear for around maybe 60mph top speed though).

That sounds slow, and looks slow to an outside observer, but when your face is inches off the ground carving through a corner (and NO full size bike can corner like these things!) a mere 40mph is WAY fast.....

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/31/17 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Zamzow
I have a motocross race I'm doing on Sunday at a track called Hangtown in Sacramento.

smile

If you ever do that again check out Prairie City near Folsom - mind you it's been over 20 years since I rode dirtbikes there, but that place was a BLAST!

They even have (or did) some small road tracks - I did some YSR-50 racing there (actually with Suzuki RM-80 motors stuffed in them), that was so crazy. These bikes were so tiny, but they'd flip you over in a heartbeat if your wrist didn't know what it was doing, and they'd go 100mph with the right gearing (at Prairie City we'd gear for around maybe 60mph top speed though).

That sounds slow, and looks slow to an outside observer, but when your face is inches off the ground carving through a corner (and NO full size bike can corner like these things!) a mere 40mph is WAY fast.....

"Hangtown" is just a nickname for the Nationals mx track at Prairie City SRVA. So maybe it's the same place?

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/31/17 07:07 PM

So...the race went good and I finished 4th overall...getting a little better. thumbsup

I plan on making a vid when I get a chance...but here's some pics from the day:

Waiting at the starting gate

[Linked Image]

Coming through two riders that went down

[Linked Image]

Nice shot coming over the finish line with some of the track in the background

[Linked Image]

Had a great time and came home safe! There was a benefit relay race added to raise money for breast cancer...it was fun to watch and for a worthy cause.

Attached picture hang6.jpg
Attached picture hill.jpg
Attached picture Hang1.jpg

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/31/17 09:05 PM

Neato smile Podium next time! How was your endurance?

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/31/17 09:51 PM

Neato smile Podium next time! How was your endurance?

I felt pretty good actually! The second moto was a bit more brutal and took more out of me...the track was pretty well beat up after several hours/motos of racing. That was the last regular race of the year so I need to try and keep in ride shape for when the season starts at the beginning of Feb.

I started late and only did three races...my goal is to race a full season next year, about 13-15 races.

If you can find your thread on your racing fun...it sounds like a good read if you can find it and link it here. wink

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/01/17 01:22 PM

I went looking for it a few days ago, but no dice... Might try if Google csn see it.

So, time to sign up for the Gym ey?

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/02/17 03:18 PM

Found my old thread:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...-racer-to-real-supersport-racing-wet-wea

So I somehow stopped updating after three threads...

See here guys, I can do gravel too!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/06/17 08:46 PM

Found my old thread:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...-racer-to-real-supersport-racing-wet-wea

So I somehow stopped updating after three threads...

See here guys, I can do gravel too!

I just read through your whole journey...great stuff! You stopped updating the thread but I looked on your channel and saw the other vids where you were riding damn fast and looking good!

Did you give it up back in 2013 or are you still going to track days occasionally?

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/07/17 09:17 AM

I'm not sure why I stopped updating...

My set goal was the 2:29 laptime that my friend set on our very first visit - so when I crashed in 2013 I was doing 2:30s or such, and it was really disappointing to find that after the crash I was back into the 2:50s or at least high 40s.. I was really frozen on my left hand side in all the left turns, all stiff for fear.

Too me two more years to somewhat recover (2014 was #%&*$#, sometimes I was slower on the next training than the previous... which never had happened before) and 2015 finally was some high 30's again.

In 2016 (last year) we went all out, my other friend and I, and booked five events, for a total of nine days riding all over the summer. On the penultimate day of that season I finally broke the 2:29, almost had a highsider on the next lap (had to take a ride into the grass and sand pit), and from the first two sectors of that lap would have had a 2:25

That's me hugging the bike after it decided not to kill me.

[Linked Image]

For me it had been a great five years, a lot of emotional work to overcome the fear and doubt if I could do it. Technically the bike would be good for 2:10 or such, so at the level I'm riding it's really only my head deciding the laptimes.

Maybe next year the story continues biggrin

Attached picture 14141845_666573293516707_7886100940997285318_n.jpg
Attached picture 11700692_496687013838670_2326276041010544357_o.jpg

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/08/17 06:14 AM

A crash really does set you back mentally...takes awhile to get back to where you were.

That second screenshot is wallpaper material...maybe a poster in the garage!

thumbsup

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/08/17 06:26 AM

Here's some clips of my third race:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/08/17 10:15 AM

Is it possible that you are holding back from mixing into the group ahead? It does remind me of my own videos where I sometimes find myself doing that (unconciously) on purpose...

Still think your ride is more scary than mine smile

We also share the habit of noticing way too much on the side of the road, like the crashed rider. The real fast guys basically "don't see that".

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/09/17 06:48 PM

I have a buddy that races with me...I was taking a look to make sure it wasn't him pinned under the bike. These aren't money races...just for bragging rights and maybe a $12 trophy so I would stop and help if it was him. thumbsup

It's hard for me to watch my race vids sometimes. Often, I'm sitting on the couch watching and thinking "Open up the throttle you friggin wuss"...lol. But, my lack of skill and fitness keeps me from going faster and riding outside my ability. I am getting better though...slowly.

I would venture a guess that I'm the only 49 year old pack and a half a day cigarette smoker out there...could be affecting my lung power a little. I'm waiting for more evidence to come in, but I think smoking might be bad for your health...lol.

Thanks for watching!

wink

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/09/17 07:14 PM

I would venture a guess that I'm the only 49 year old pack and a half a day cigarette smoker out there... wink

LOL, now suddenly it seems a lot more understandable... wink

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/19/17 07:17 AM

Today was the last event of the year...the club had a "Free Ride" day for all the members at a mx track called 408mx. It wasn't a race format, just practice sessions by class. I was the only beginner that showed up today...I rode with the Novices.

I struggled with a couple of rhythm sections but had a good day! I did 3 15 minute sessions with 45mins in between...I was spent! Here's a few laps from the first session.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 12/15/17 08:35 PM

Some trail riding on my Husqvarna.

Skip to the 7:40 mark if you're bored and check out the crash reel. (little bit of a language warning)

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 01/29/18 06:28 PM

Got my first podium...2nd place!

The track was pretty brutal...I got a trophy for the mantle though!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 02/16/18 06:06 PM

Didn't do as good in this one...went down in the first lap of the second moto

Posted By: Blade_Meister

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 02/18/18 04:33 PM

Nice race Vids Sir. Cograts on your second place trophy. Just quit smoking, it definitely is holding you back. I am 54, last week, and I woke up one morning over 20 years ago and was literally weezing, smoking 1.5 packs of Marlboros a day, and said to myself, SELF, you are a F#ck%$g idiot, QUIT SMOKING, and I did. My health is much the better for it, not to mention my wallet. I run 5+ miles 3 times a week, ride(road bicycle) 20- 40miles 1 to 2 times a week(in winter) and work out 3 times a week plus full time employment. Quitting smoking will help your overall stamina by letting your lungs deliver more o2 through your blood to support longer muscle use before tiring. It may take a while for your lungs to recover and deliver the better performance, but I have read that lungs do recover some over time. To what capacity , I am not sure, but anything is better than the present road you are on. Don't try to quit, just tell yourself, SELF, I QUIT and be true to yourself and do it. IMHO, one is addicted to the habit more than the drug. Habits can be broken in 22 days. Don't try, DO!!! Now off to get ready for my ride on and around Sawnee Mnt. Ga. on a Sunny 60 degree day! Wahoo. Be Blessed!

S!Blade<><

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 02/27/18 03:38 AM

My helmet cam on my visor slipped down so I didn't use much of that footage. My buddy got hung up on the starting gate and there's a clip of that in here. I felt bad for him! Added some music so turn it up. Short vid...about 90 seconds.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/16/18 04:44 PM

Racing at Hangtown:

Posted By: Fracture

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/17/18 11:58 PM

Nice to see your starts improving.

I raced motocross for 11 years, so if you have any questions about racing ask away smile

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/18/18 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Fracture
Nice to see your starts improving.

I raced motocross for 11 years, so if you have any questions about racing ask away smile

Thanks!

First...let me apologize...I know it's painful for an experienced motocrosser to watch super noob footage like mine wink . I put it up there for family and friends mostly. When I was thinking about joining, I was scouring Youtube for beginner footage to see what the deal was and didn't find much so maybe it will help someone on the fence. Being 50 and new to dirtbiking...I think I've plateaued somewhat skill wise. The best advice is always practice, practice, practice. With a demanding job, getting time to show up on race day is about all I can squeeze in so my improvement is very slow. Starting so late at my age...there seems to be a problem connecting the gonads to the throttle hand. I know I would take less of a pounding if I kept on the gas and cleared some of these step-up jumps I'm flat landing on the face.

I set a goal for myself to try and race a full season this year...and have fun! thumbsup The pre-gate-drop jitters are still there after 16 drops under my belt...don't think they're going away anytime soon. Racing the Nationals in 2 weeks...2 motos Sat. and 2 on Sun. It's my first so we'll see if I can make it a second day.

salute

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/18/18 02:36 AM

.I know it's painful for an experienced motocrosser to watch super noob footage like mine wink .

no worries, I could barely stand to watch some of my first races, we all got to start somewhere. smile

Being 50 and new to dirtbiking...I think I've plateaued somewhat skill wise. The best advice is always practice, practice, practice. With a demanding job, getting time to show up on race day is about all I can squeeze in so my improvement is very slow. Starting so late at my age...there seems to be a problem connecting the gonads to the throttle hand. I know I would take less of a pounding if I kept on the gas and cleared some of these step-up jumps I'm flat landing on the face.

Those are normal issues for new riders of any age, don't be so hard on yourself. At least you're on pretty equal footing in your class. I started at 15 in the 85cc class against some kids that had been racing since they were 4 or 5 and considered expert lvl (A). I couldn't ride or race as much as wanted to starting out, so it took me about 5 years to really get going.

I set a goal for myself to try and race a full season this year...and have fun! thumbsup The pre-gate-drop jitters are still there after 16 drops under my belt...don't think they're going away anytime soon.

That's sounds pretty reasonable, and always have fun! smile

Those pre-start jitters never go away, they keep you alert on the line lol

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/18/18 04:14 PM

I appreciate the insight...thanks!

Do you ride dirt bikes at all these days?

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/18/18 11:58 PM

The last of my motocross riding and racing was in 1996.
Got injured twice that year and just could not afford to keep racing.
I got to trail ride a DRZ-400 in Kentucky a few years later, and around 2013 I got the chance to trail ride a CRF-250.
Have not ridden anything but a pedal bike and my computer chair since the CRF lol

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/30/18 06:14 PM

My first National 2 day event. I crashed in the 3rd moto on the second day @ 15:25 in the vid.

Posted By: Fuzzy

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/30/18 09:46 PM

Nicely done Force10.
Finished the moto then raced again charge

Fuzzy

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/30/18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fuzzy
Nicely done Force10.
Finished the moto then raced again charge

Fuzzy

Thanks! I had to zip tie my shroud to the radiator it was bent so bad...but not leaking, 2 Iibuprofen for my knee and back out. I noticed on about the 3rd lap of the last moto...my skid plate was laying in the middle of a tabletop from the lap before...lol.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/01/18 11:55 PM

Congrats on making it through a 2 day event.
Glad to see your crash wasn't bad enough to stop you.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/02/18 08:39 AM

Be careful Force10

http://www.flamewarriors.net/index.php?attachment/6220-8ade4640-11c7-43dc-ac7b-b6f87808c726-jpeg

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/02/18 04:20 PM

Congrats on making it through a 2 day event.
Glad to see your crash wasn't bad enough to stop you.

Thanks Fracture!

I had my doubts that my stamina would hold up for 2 days (being a smoker and all) but actually felt pretty good. The crash wasn't from fatigue. Day 1, we were race 10...track was well worn and drying up...day 2 they reverse the race order and we were race 1. The track was gooey and I came back a little too hard on the throttle and the rear
cut loose and came around on me just enough to point me off the track. Gonna try to bend back my radiator today after work on my steed...it took a worse beating than me!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/13/18 09:11 AM

Got my first win!

Posted By: Paradaz

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/13/18 11:21 AM

Awesome...much better lines than the bloke you were chasing all through the first and half way through the second race!!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/14/18 12:28 AM

Thanks for watching Daz'. That's my buddy in front of me most of the motos. He always beats me, I just squeaked by him the last half lap for the win...finally! wink

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/14/18 12:35 AM

Congratz dude.
I was yelling take the inside line at my pc, guess you heard me at the end lol.
They'll be taking that B off yer plate pretty soon. smile (presuming B is for beginner)

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/14/18 02:49 AM

Nice racing Force 10. Congrats on your first win! You have no friends when the starting gate drops! Take No prisoners!!!! thumbsup

S!Blade<><

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/14/18 05:24 AM

Thanks gents!

Actually, the B stands for Bay chapter since I live in the Bay Area. There are five chapters in the OTHG here in CA. The next race is another 2 day National where all five chapters race against each other. Number plate colors are what identifies racing class...green background with white numbers for beginners, yellow background with black numbers for novice...etc.

One thing about winning...it makes the 3 hour drive home from the track better with a big first place trophy in the passenger seat to keep ya company...lol.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/15/18 03:52 AM

So, your little fan club here is good enough to watch all of your races and cheer you on from the time you were as slow as molasses on an up hill grade in North Dakota in the middle of January until now when you Win the Big Time and are on the brink of Competing in Stadium Cross, but we are not good enough to see a picture of your Trophy??? SHEESCH, some people, it all just goes to their head. COMMON MAN!!! rolleyes

S!Blade<><

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/15/18 05:28 AM

LOL!

Yeah, I've gotten better but it's been at a glacial pace. I actually feel like I haven't improved that much...everyone else on the gate is just riding slower. wink I never have time to practice, I just show up on race day and expect them to hand me awards and stuff...apparently it doesn't work that way! I know a sim website isn't really the place too many folks are going to care about motocross, but this is my home on the internet and a good place to keep a historical record of my mid-life crisis journey all in one thread.

Oh yeah...the trophy! A finer looking piece of shiny plastic and some marble like substance I have never seen!

Found the perfect place for it too:

[Linked Image]

I don't think the wife is going to sign off on the placement though...lol. Seriously...that's a 50" TV...it's tall and won't fit on any shelf or bookcase we have so it will end up in the garage.

Cheers!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/15/18 02:09 PM

Hey, all that matters is that you are having fun, and dam, you won a trophy to boot. All in all I would say you are doing pretty good. Do it while you can because someday it won't be an option anymore.
Congrats Sir!!! yep salute

S!Blade<><
Posted By: coasty

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/20/18 09:50 PM

always keep a little throttle in reserve to straighten out. that wisdom came from a friend on the ship who did stunt riding. he could ride on one wheel in places I could barely navigate on two.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/28/18 09:41 PM

My second National 2 day event (2 motos each day). I camped out in my truck at the track and had a great time in the "Sandbox" motocross track in Nevada!

These are just clips of the event...I had a good battle in moto 2, which starts at 3:55. I also bought some pics from the track photographer that I put in at the end of the video with some music from The Good The Bad and the ugly. (rock cover)

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 06/04/18 04:00 PM

Some pics from the event:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 06/04/18 04:15 PM

I hadn't seen your win yet, congrats! Cool to see how you are improving!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 06/06/18 09:30 PM

Thanks RS!

My improvement is coming along slowly...but I feel like I'm riding decent. We have a 5 week mid-season break before the next race and I'm afraid I will get a little soft during the down time! Gotta keep those riding muscles active!

My goal of racing a full season is about halfway achieved...but still quite a bit to go. I have done 10 race days this season (20 motos) with 11 days and 22 motos left to go. This season has already claimed some riders I know...so I will consider myself lucky if I make it.

It does take quite a commitment for this hobby. This first half of the season, I have driven 2,330 miles to and from races already with a good deal of journeys ahead of me! Factor in gas, race entry cost, bike maintenance, repairing bike damage, etc...and then throw in a wife that isn't really into this hobby and it's a costly endeavor!

I have fun putting videos together so I might do a mid-season hilite vid.

Thanks for watching! salute

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 06/10/18 07:50 PM

Thought I would take my 2005 Husky TC250 on the mx track at Metcalf and see how it does. It's a heavy, slowish bike that I'm not sure who Husky was marketing it to...but I use it as a trail bike.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/04/18 04:40 AM

Turned some more laps on the Husky:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/16/18 05:30 AM

Did a little bar banging on the last turn for a close finish for 2nd. Last lap starts @ 7:07 if you want to skip ahead.

Went over the bars in Moto 2 but didn't have the camera on! banghead

:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/18/18 06:54 PM

How much did it hurt? biggrin

Great to see yiu grab another podium!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/19/18 01:55 AM

How much did it hurt? biggrin

Great to see yiu grab another podium!

It kinda rung my bell and took a sec to gather myself. It happened on the uphill turn with a small hip jump at the top. We were 3 wide going up the hill with me on the outside and almost off the track. I either chopped the throttle on the face, or my rear caught a kicker/rock and it nosed me over. I felt pain in my ribs as I got back on the bike. Pretty banged up but I don't think anything is broken except my pride! I have 9 days to heal up before the next race.

Thanks RS! wink

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/20/18 03:07 AM

Dash for prizes.

Short vid just to show the format. Dash for prizes race at Club Moto. Handicapped race...the handicapping is usually spot on with several riders hitting the finish line close together. There was some sort of error and we didn't have a chance of catching the riders. Still had fun though...

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/30/18 04:11 AM

Having some confidence issues after my over the bars crash at the previous race. Ribs still hurt, but the problem is more mental. Didn't do too great.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/30/18 08:21 AM

Understandable. I suppose only way to get rid of that is more riding.
Posted By: Paradaz

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/30/18 10:56 PM

You're over your PM limit Force....delete a few when you get chance, not urgent

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/31/18 05:20 PM

Understandable. I suppose only way to get rid of that is more riding.

Yeah...I was just on a "Sunday cruise" that race...the only thing missing was curb feelers on my axles! biggrin

Originally Posted by Paradaz
You're over your PM limit Force....delete a few when you get chance, not urgent

Should be freed up now Daz.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/21/18 04:12 AM

Didn't ride great...so just clips with some music. I'm playing with a free editor called Hitfilm express and I couldn't get the external vids to scale up well.

Short vid...just a couple minutes:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/03/18 05:43 PM

I had a great time! Had a stupid tip over in the second moto on day 1...my radiator was leaking but we managed to get it patched up so I could race both motos on Sunday. There was a "Pro Shootout" moto and they raced for a $5000 purse. Caught a little on my old camera. (one guy into the fence in front of me)

The track got brutal...unfortunately, 2 riders were airlifted out on Saturday...and 2 left by ground ambulance. I heard 2 more went out by ambulance on Sunday.

45-52 Beginner

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/08/18 03:27 AM

Track looked like a lot of fun. Glad you didn't get carted off smile

I broke my collar bone in my first (and only lol) Pro shootout.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/10/18 04:30 PM

I injured my knee a little on my embarrassing tip over...but nothing too bad!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/19/18 04:22 AM

Meh...

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/19/18 11:11 PM

Dude, that disclaimer had me cracking up.
Don't worry about how things look to others.
Progress takes time. You're doing fine.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/20/18 01:53 AM

Thanks Fracture! The disclaimer is funny...but sadly true. 3 races left to go in the season, hoping for a strong finish. I set a goal to race the full season and get the IronMan award for finishing all 42 motos.
Posted By: Patrocles

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/21/18 07:16 PM

that dirt riding looks like fun!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/21/18 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Patrocles
that dirt riding looks like fun!

It is! I will say that it's harder and more physically demanding than it looks though! I had my doubts starting racing at the ripe age of 50...but I'm glad I did. Lots of fun and made some new friends! wink

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/08/18 04:03 AM

I changed my gearing by going down a tooth on the C/S sprocket. Getting ready for the 2 day OTHG South National next weekend at Cal City MX.

Posted By: Master

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/08/18 04:45 AM

Man, that looks like so much fun!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/08/18 04:01 PM

It's a great time...and good exercise too! Made quite a few new friends as well since I started racing. thumbsup

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/08/18 04:49 PM

Are these guys not wearing protectors, or beneath the "shirts"?

Love the camera position, cool effect as you put on the googles.
Posted By: Dart

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/08/18 05:27 PM

This is so full of awesome it's hard to keep from bouncing in one's seat while watching!

Dude, you rock.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/08/18 05:35 PM

Love the camera position, cool effect as you put on the googles.

Most beginners don't notice a need for chest protectors due to the overall lower speeds, and many of them feel more comfortable without them.
That changes real quick as you get faster. I remember one race where three of us got broken fingers in the same moto just from rocks being kicked up at higher velocity.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/08/18 05:39 PM

I changed my gearing by going down a tooth on the C/S sprocket. Getting ready for the 2 day OTHG South National next weekend at Cal City MX.

Good call on the gearing change.
Are you considering a change to the power curve as well?

Thanks for sharing and good luck with you final races of the season.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/08/18 05:39 PM

Outsch - that is a bit scary wink

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/08/18 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dart
This is so full of awesome it's hard to keep from bouncing in one's seat while watching!

lol...when I'm on my couch watching the days footage...I catch myself leaning left and right into the turns. wink

We all wear "roost deflectors" at the minimum...some wear it under the jersey...some over. I wear mine under as well. The pic below I have mine on under and have elbow pads as well:

[Linked Image]

Fracture is right...the roost and rocks kicked up hurt! And they always find the chinks in your armor. Caught a good size rock to the bicep yesterday:

[Linked Image]

Good call on the gearing change.
Are you considering a change to the power curve as well?

Actually...I changed the gearing back to how the bike is supposed to be! When I got it, I was a trail rider so I went up a tooth to stretch out the gearing for the wide open trails. Now, 20 races in, I'm thinking I should set it back for motocross...DOH! It's a lot better exiting the corners now...but I'm shifting a lot more with the shorter gearing.

I appreciate the comment and well wishes!

It's a 6 hour drive down to the SoCal desert for this 2 day event. Going by myself and really need to be able to drive myself home if I get banged up or injured.

I can use all the good mojo I can get! salute

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/16/18 03:57 AM

It was a rough weekend. My buddy went down hard and a lot of other riders got hurt.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/23/18 04:56 AM

Most of moto 1 from my race at Hangtown on Sunday. We were a late race# so the track was pretty beat up.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/24/18 04:03 AM

Moto 2

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/12/18 10:50 AM

I made it! I finished my first season of motocross at 50...had a great time! This video covers the journey with clips and music. (some laughs too!)

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/12/18 10:54 AM

And you still got all the pieces working biggrin

Congrats, quite a motivation to stay fit and hungry for life!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/12/18 04:01 PM

Cool Video. Congratz on surviving the season. It's harder to make it through an entire season than most people realize.
Watching your progress reminds me of how fun this stuff is, makes me want to get back into it, but that always ends up in broken bones lol.
Good luck next season. smile

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/13/18 04:37 AM

Congrats Force10. Nice job completing the whole season.

S!Blade<><

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/13/18 07:12 PM

Thanks everyone!

I'm really proud of the Iron man award...I also got National champ of the beginners so I can run the Red background number plate next season.

I got banged up over the season but I'm glad to escape with nothing to serious...a lot of riders weren't so lucky.

Cheers!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 12/15/18 05:20 AM

Just a pic from the last race of the season.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dart

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 12/15/18 07:24 AM

Here's a question about watching your own videos:

I tend to watch the stuff I made of the aircraft not so much to groove on it, but to evaluate what I've done well, not so well, and just plain badly.

Not to say I don't enjoy it - there's a bit of "narcissism" I suppose - but mostly it's to figure out what I did after the fact....one is just doing rather than thinking a lot of the time.*

* Wife used that word when I was watching my own videos, to which I replied that she's just jealous. smile

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 12/15/18 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dart
Here's a question about watching your own videos:

I tend to watch the stuff I made of the aircraft not so much to groove on it, but to evaluate what I've done well, not so well, and just plain badly.

Not to say I don't enjoy it - there's a bit of "narcissism" I suppose - but mostly it's to figure out what I did after the fact....one is just doing rather than thinking a lot of the time.*

* Wife used that word when I was watching my own videos, to which I replied that she's just jealous. smile

Some of my videos I watch more than others. I was pissed when I forgot to push the record button on my GoPro when I had my worst crash of the season. Things happen so fast on the track...watching the video when I get home gives me clues on what I did wrong. My Season wrap up video I've watched a few times...not because of the riding...I'm new to video editing and I was pretty happy with how the clips/music turned out. Other vids, my riding was pretty bad/cringy and I'm fine with not seeing them again...lol.

I will say I'm sort of a hypocrite though. I've never been a fan of social media like Facebook and Twitter with people putting there every passing thought and meal online...yet here I am with some of that "look at me" stuff with my Youtube videos. wave2
Posted By: MarkG

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 12/16/18 12:20 AM

I will say I'm sort of a hypocrite though. I've never been a fan of social media like Facebook and Twitter with people putting there every passing thought and meal online...yet here I am with some of that "look at me" stuff with my Youtube videos. wave2

Dude, I feel the same way, except that my stuff (pics and words) isn't exciting like what you guys post (motorcycle racing and DIY aircraft). If one day I burn out on SimHQ or SimHQ burns out on me (and I get those vibes occasionally), I'll simply disappear into the virtual sunset 'cause I'm not interested in any other type of social media. And this wouldn't be such a bad thing for an old-fashioned luddite like myself. smile

In any case, I enjoy reading other people's hobbies and experiences (like this thread) as much as I enjoy writing my own.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 12/31/18 05:35 AM

Just a 2 minute vid of some riding on a friends ranch. I haven't ridden just for fun in almost a year since I started racing. Fun little sand track!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 01/30/19 05:37 PM

Well...I got my Red number plates on for being Beginner National champ. Looks better on my bike than the green plates I had.

[Linked Image]

A couple trophies I got at the awards banquet for the season. I also got a top 25 jacket for coming in 12th out of 268 riders.

[Linked Image]

Looks more impressive than it actually is. I set a goal to race every race and get the "Iron Man" award...so the other stuff is just a product of staying un-injured and showing up more than most in my class. I'm really just a mid-pack grinder with only one race win and a few legit podiums.

Attached picture IMG_2073.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2067.JPG
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 01/30/19 05:43 PM

Hard core man! You've got balls of steel, and now a nice award to go with them. smile

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 01/30/19 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Hard core man! You've got balls of steel, and now a nice award to go with them. smile

Thanks Blastman...appreciate that! I don't know about "balls of steel" though...maybe more of a hardened plastic since I'm not getting on the gas as hard as I should be. hahaha

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 02/18/19 12:20 AM

We had our first race cancelled because of rain...so I made a v-log/outtakes video.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 02/25/19 03:45 AM

Couldn't make the first race...so I took out my Husky for some seat time:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 03/18/19 06:06 AM

Put in some hard laps on my Husky.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 03/27/19 06:28 AM

I picked up a new Gopro chin mount. I like the lower view when I have my body position normal in the vid.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 03/28/19 09:11 AM

Is this the track just off #101 Force 10?

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/parkfinder/Documents/Motorcycle-Broch_Motorcycle-Broch.pdf

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 03/28/19 05:07 PM

It is indeed. The motocross track is just to the left of the main entrance.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 03/28/19 08:43 PM

It is indeed. The motocross track is just to the left of the main entrance.

Yes seen that. Do you do any trail riding there or just MX?

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 03/28/19 10:15 PM

I do trail ride there...trail options are somewhat limiting with only 3 main trails that off shoot into other trails. It's still a good time though...after a couple trail riding trips, you feel like you need a bigger playground. Hollister Hills is my favorite trail riding place, much bigger playground!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/01/19 05:11 AM

Tried out my new chin mount with the "Superview" POV...looks good...until I upload it to Youtube...now it's pixely crap...lol. Long vid but a couple laps gives you an idea of the track. Enjoyed the layout a lot!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/01/19 03:55 PM

I prefer the narrower pov as I stated in the comments of the other vid, but do whichever one you like.
Track looked like a good practice track to build endurance, nothing too technical and you can go wide open as much as you dare to hehe.
Pay no attention to the troll from the comments, as you said he probably has you confused with someone else or he's just a tool lol.
You were doing just fine with holding your line, the track is wide enough and there are plenty of lines to choose. Anyone that can't pass is just slow. smile

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/01/19 05:28 PM

I prefer the narrower pov as I stated in the comments of the other vid, but do whichever one you like.
Track looked like a good practice track to build endurance, nothing too technical and you can go wide open as much as you dare to hehe.
Pay no attention to the troll from the comments, as you said he probably has you confused with someone else or he's just a tool lol.
You were doing just fine with holding your line, the track is wide enough and there are plenty of lines to choose. Anyone that can't pass is just slow. smile

I really appreciate that Fracture...I needed to hear that. I was feeling pretty good today about the 4 sessions I did yesterday until I read that comment and it really bummed me out. I checked my other vids and they're just like the one I put up...I'm jumping straight. I respect my peers in motocross...but I think this guys is confusing me with someone else.
I will leave his comment up for a bit if he wants to respond...but I plan on removing it.

Thanks brother!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/15/19 03:37 PM

Finally! My first race of 2019...very short vid with clips and music.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/16/19 07:02 AM

Some clips of the race without the music:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/16/19 11:51 PM

Good job on the pass and the clean dismount lol.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/17/19 09:10 PM

Good job on the pass and the clean dismount lol.

lol...thanks! It was the best get off I've had yet...got back on before anyone passed me. thumbsup

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/30/19 05:19 PM

I had some issues at the end of moto 2...almost passed out (possible heat exhaustion?) Clips from the 4 moto weekend:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/30/19 10:22 PM

Congratz.

Love the aggression after the spill, "NEED MOAR RAGE" lol.

As for your health issue while riding, my thoughts as someone who has had heat stroke before as well as passing out twice, and being knocked out a few times.

If it was heat exhuastion you'd have been done for the day.

Remember to breathe, sometimes when riders tense up they hold their breath and forget to breathe, since it continued even when you let up a bit in the following motos that's probably not the issue.

You may need to get your blood pressure checked out with your doctor as that seems like the most likely culprit.

***NOT A DOCTOR*** Just my concerned opinion based on my own experiences. (I have high blood pressure that is controlled with medication)

Thanks for sharing the vids, and good luck with the rest of the season.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/30/19 11:13 PM

I think you called it right!

I do have high blood pressure...but I don't take my medication a day or two before the race because the kind I take is a diuretic...just makes me have to pee at the start gate AND it's notorious for causing dehydration. But when I was diagnosed and first started taking it...it took 3 weeks to have an affect...it's a build up. Missing a day or 2 didn't seem like it would revert me back so quick since it took 3 weeks to take affect.

I'm not a doctor...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night! Thanks for posting your insight...you might be correct.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/01/19 01:06 AM

I used to think that too about the missing a day or two not being an issue, but your blood pressure will go up if you miss a day.

If you don't do anything physical you won't notice the rise in BP but it will rise. (remember it's called the silent killer because symptoms go largely unnoticed)

Motocross will raise your BP anyway, so when you combine that with the uptick from missing meds and you're playing with fire so to speak.

I take a diuretic as well, and know it can be a hassle to have to pee so often. The good thing is that once the race starts your adrenaline will make you forget that you have to pee if your timing gets off. lol

Be glad you're not doing 30 min motos. smile

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/01/19 05:52 PM

Everything you're saying is spot on.

I'm glad that I know what it was...if I take my medicine like I'm supposed too I should be fine. It's a much easier problem to fix than having heat exhaustion IMO.

You're right...when I have to pee when I'm locked in the gate...after it drops you forget all about it. About an hour after the moto it's "that's right...I have to pee" lol. So much of it is psychological.

I really appreciate your help!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/01/19 06:54 PM

You don't have take a medical test?

I know in boat racing the driver has to pass a medical before being allowed to race. It is good for the season for all the HRL classes except for GP who have to have a minor test (BP and heart rate) before each race weekend. It is a pilot grade test.

This full medical test goes back to at least the mid '70s when I raced boats.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/02/19 05:24 PM

No medical test in this club.

Keep in mind that this club is the "Over the Hill Gang". There are classes all the way up to 65 years old.

Racing boats I'm sure is a high speed affair...in motocross we rarely hit 40 mph.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/02/19 11:22 PM

Yes boats are faster but it not about the speed. It is about if the driver is able to take the stress, mentally and physically.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/03/19 12:36 PM

No medical test in this club.

Keep in mind that this club is the "Over the Hill Gang". There are classes all the way up to 65 years old.

Racing boats I'm sure is a high speed affair...in motocross we rarely hit 40 mph.

With the Motocross gearing fitted to my IT465 it could hit maybe 70mph flat out but very rarely if ever hit that on a track, road gearing she was geared for around 120mph.
Now-a-days my knees would not take the hammering of a session but would still love to get back out into the hills on a bike, that is something I really miss.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/05/19 04:33 AM

Fast laps from the National. 1 Lap from moto 1-2-4

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/06/19 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Alicatt

Now-a-days my knees would not take the hammering of a session but would still love to get back out into the hills on a bike, that is something I really miss.

I hear ya! I'm getting a super late start to this sport at 51 years old...as far as racing and riding tracks. Trying to make the most of it while my body is still somewhat able to take it. wink

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/06/19 07:59 PM

Yeah been following your thread here, only a little jealous. I'll be 63 in a month's time and still want to do all those things I could do at 16 and never had the time or money to do them, the mind is willing but the body lets me down occasionally! biggrin

I was in my early 40s when I had a horse riding accident and further damaged a weak/damaged knee from playing American Football, that has put paid to anything that involves hard work on the knees. But it was 2018 when I went out horse riding in Spain and started to post to the trot that I felt the hot daggers piercing my right knee, and that was it, I ended up driving the support car belonging to the trekking outfit we were with while the driver took my place on the horse. I guess at some point I may need a new knee.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/06/19 09:09 PM

It's so cool to see how much you've improved, and the confidence you've gained, since starting to post the vids here. Aw crap, you make me realize I need to get back into some "manly" hobby too. Been a bit off the adrenaline for the past two years.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/06/19 10:44 PM

Thanks for following along with my mid-life crisis Gents!

Alicatt: The knees are my worry. I saw a lot of torn ACLs/MCLs from riders last season...the guys in their 30's seem to bounce back pretty good. At the moment...my knees are good and have never been injured but I know I'm probably one knee injury away from hanging it up. An arm, collarbone,wrist...not as bad...but the knees take a pounding constantly on a track.

RSColonel: From what I remember...you're still a young guy in comparison...you're not even at the mid-life crisis stage yet! Have fun while the bones can still take it!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 06/02/19 04:58 AM

Back on the bike after a month:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 06/10/19 06:05 AM

Another session on the Husky at Metcalf yesterday. (clips/music)

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 06/17/19 05:37 AM

Father's Day ride with my friend. 90 second video with clips and music:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/02/19 03:52 PM

First race back in a couple months...went from stalling it at the gate to a photo finish!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/15/19 06:14 AM

Another win:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/28/19 05:17 PM

The removed the landings from some of the small jumps...bummed!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/04/19 04:32 PM

Did some practice sessions at Diablo. It was about 91 degrees on this last session/Lap.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/12/19 07:27 AM

Another race...the second moto makes it the 60th gate drop of my noob moto journey.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/12/19 09:58 PM

Good race dude. I think they gonna kick you out of the beginner class for next season smile

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/13/19 06:16 PM

Good race dude. I think they gonna kick you out of the beginner class for next season smile

Thanks Fracture! Yeah...pretty sure I'm getting bumped. Collecting trophies now cause I probably won't get one for a long time when I move up. (if ever...lol)

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/14/19 01:24 AM

Don't worry about tropies when you advance. Just refocus on fundamentals and try to improve with each race, it'll come to ya.

One thing I noticed is that you don't power-shift.
Not triying to be critical, just curious as to why you're not, as your starts would greatly benefit from it.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/14/19 07:10 PM

One thing I noticed is that you don't power-shift.
Not triying to be critical, just curious as to why you're not, as your starts would greatly benefit from it.

That's a good point! I was looking at power shifting tips a couple weeks ago...problem is...I have nowhere to practice it. The only way would be to do it on a live start. California issues. My race bike is "Red Sticker" and I can only ride it at racetracks until October. Tracks don't let you do practice starts. In the Silicon Valley where I live...everybody has no land and just a small backyard.

It sucks!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/14/19 10:36 PM

Didn't even think about the Kalifornia aspect. frown #%&*$# shame

Just so we're clear, when I say power-shift I mean once you get to full throttle, you stay at full throttle and just bang through the gears.
I always used clutch for upshifts, which I considered more crucial, and would downshift without clutch.

So anytime you're going straight you can be power-shifting.

To practice starts you would just take off with lower throttle setting, then once you get full clutch release and full throttle you can power-shift.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/14/19 11:53 PM

Just so we're clear, when I say power-shift I mean once you get to full throttle, you stay at full throttle and just bang through the gears.
I always used clutch for upshifts, which I considered more crucial, and would downshift without clutch.

Yeah...that was my understanding wink

At my skill level, the only time I'm really wide open and rowing through the gears is on the start straight...power shifting could probably help me gain a little there. Other than a couple of tracks that have some decent straights, I'm not wide open that much.

This club doesn't care about engine size, so the majority of the bikes on my gate are 350's and 450's or 250 2 strokes. It hurts me on the starts the most cause my little 250F can't keep up with their straight line speed. I will run em' down eventually as they get tired of hanging on to those beast's though. thumbsup

I know you don't have to be full throttle to power shift...so I will take a crack at trying next race. Sometimes...I don't use the clutch when upshifting, especially a late race when the track is choppy as hell with acceleration bumps. I wan't full grip on the bars...lol

I appreciate the advice as always!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/03/19 06:05 PM

Some footage from my 4 moto weekend at the Bay National at Argyll mx. It was hot hitting 97 degrees for the motos!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/03/19 09:59 PM

Looking good there, a lot more confidence in your riding compared with your first videos.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/04/19 01:24 AM

Thanks! Small steps but feeling more comfortable out there.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/16/19 01:01 PM

Crashed twice in this practice on Sunday.

https://youtu.be/YPG1WaaadcU

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Thumb.jpg

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/16/19 04:10 PM

I am very enthused about you racing now. Always good to take up a new challenge and not get stagnant. Hope you didn’t get injured. We don’t bounce back like when we were in our 20’s.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/16/19 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
I am very enthused about you racing now. Always good to take up a new challenge and not get stagnant. Hope you didn’t get injured. We don’t bounce back like when we were in our 20’s.

Thanks OG! At 51, it probably wasn't the smartest hobby to start on...everyone gets hurt eventually. At my age I still "Bounce" pretty good...bouncing back is another thing entirely as you said. wink

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/16/19 07:37 PM

Hobbies don’t need to be smart. In reality, they seldom are. But they feed our souls with passion. And that is hard to beat.

My rather recent (11 years now) hobby of flying isn’t really smart. Hefty financial cost without any financial benefit. But I wouldn’t give it up now.

And look at Dart’s hobby of building and flying a 7/8 replica of a WW1 Nieuport. Smart, no - fulfilling absolutely.

And that is what hobbies are for.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/17/19 05:10 PM

Very true OG!

One possible obstacle for a lot of us guys and our hobbies...the wife. Mine isn't exactly thrilled with my mid-life crisis hobby. I get where's she's coming from...your 50 year old husband announces out of the blue "I'm going to try and race motocross" after only owning his first dirt bike a couple years prior is a bit of a surprise.

It does cost quite a bit...probably not anywhere near what flying a plane for a hobby costs...but I spent $6k-$7k chasing the Ironman award last year (racing all 42 motos with no DNF's in a season...got it too). Then of course the danger aspect. One 2 day National she went to...3 riders were medevac'd out by chopper and another 2 by ground ambulance.

But that's what health insurance is for! lol.

Oh well...the hook is set deep for me with this sport...want to make the most of it while my old body can still take it.

Cheers!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/14/19 06:32 AM

I raced at Hangtown...track got rough:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/05/19 06:08 AM

Some clips from moto1-2 with a little music at the beginning. Pics courtesy of Mad photos and my wife...lol eek

Posted By: W-Molders

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/06/19 05:48 AM

Not too many dirt riders here...but here's a 50 year old rookie trying a muddy track with traffic. I did alright and came off the track in the same shape as I went on, so a good day overall.
They only have two classes, Pro and Novice...I probably could have used a beginner class since I got passed so much.

Here's the link in case your browser doesn't show embedded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyVAPumdUQI&t=3s

youre crazy lol.. and youll learn when you break something... LOL good luck .. may the force be with you... always...

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/07/19 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by W-Molders

youre crazy lol.. and youll learn when you break something... LOL good luck .. may the force be with you... always...

Oh man...that 1st one is hard to watch...I was so slow. Yeah...not the wisest move to take up this sport at 50+ years old...but that video is over 2 years old and I've been racing and I'm still here!

I will break something eventually...happens to EVERYONE...nobody is immune in this sport. I just accept that fact and have fun thumbsup

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/10/19 09:24 AM

The season is over... had a lot of fun!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/26/19 12:51 AM

Trying out the new layout at my local track.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 01/14/20 08:55 AM

My first ride of 2020. Club Moto mx:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 02/03/20 05:15 AM

I got promoted to the Novice class...this is my last chance to practice before my first Novice race on the 9th.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 02/11/20 05:03 PM

Odd...I posted the above last night on the 10th...it says the 2nd?

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 02/24/20 06:21 AM

My 2nd Novice race:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 03/09/20 03:59 PM

The track kicked my ass.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 03/20/20 02:34 AM

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 03/22/20 03:22 AM

Getting out for a bit during the social distancing mandate.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/03/20 06:03 AM

Finally got back in the dirt...open practice at Club Moto:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/04/20 04:52 AM

This is my friends POV on the vid above chasing me down yesterday.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/19/20 07:43 AM

Diablo Mx Ranch with my OTHG race friends.

There were probably a hundred bikes in my practice...good times! My friend Roland had a high-side and hit pretty hard.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/22/20 04:27 PM

Howdy SimHQ folks!

I'm curious and wanted to ask a question.

I've noticed my thread here is closing in on 57,000 views. I know this isn't really the type of site where a motocross thread belongs, but I've been keeping it updated as a sort of "diary" of my attempt at riding/racing motocross. So I would venture a guess that 99% of the 57k views are from search spiders or bots of some kind?

If any SimHQ members have been following this thread...can you reply with a simple "S!" or something? I would guess there's probably 5 or less...lol

Thanks! salute
Posted By: MarkG

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/22/20 05:06 PM

No interest in motorcycles (although I've ridden, street and dirt...assuming it's still 1 down and 4 up with a left-handled clutch?), but I follow your thread. If for any reason, just to see what an old man my age will risk and can accomplish (same with Dart's thread). smile

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/22/20 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by MarkG
No interest in motorcycles (although I've ridden, street and dirt...assuming it's still 1 down and 4 up with a left-handled clutch?), but I follow your thread. If for any reason, just to see what an old man my age will risk and can accomplish (same with Dart's thread). smile

Ah Ha! So you're the one! lol

I guess "old man" is pretty subjective to the sport you're talking about. I'm 52 and for motocross...I'm friggin old. Not sure how long my body will take it before it says "no more". Now...if I was taking up golf...I'd probably be the new young whipper snapper on the course.

Thanks for responding Mark!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 06/01/20 06:43 AM

Another open practice...caught some rain but it was fun!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 06/23/20 06:56 AM

I had a hard time with the dirt condition....was like ice.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/01/20 09:10 AM

Finally back to racing...had my best finish since moving up to the Novice class:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/20/20 12:17 AM

Open practice today at Club Moto:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/21/20 04:46 PM

More action from Club Moto:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/21/20 04:51 PM

I really applaud you for doing this. It is important to have passions throughout your life.

I watched that 3 times and missed the yellow flag every time.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/22/20 02:57 AM

I appreciate that a lot OG...thank you!

I might have been misleading with the text in the vid...the flag comes after the text I put in. You can kinda see the stick in the far left of the thumbnail.

My wife isn't a fan of the hobby unfortunately, not something many 52 year old husbands decide they're gonna do out of the blue I guess...lol. My body has been preserved pretty good cause I've
never really done anything remotely as punishing as this...I've been lucky and feel pretty alive out there for sure!

Cheers!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/03/20 07:07 AM

New pipes!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/08/20 09:31 AM

My buddy Kelly shattered both his heels in a crash 2 days after this ride. We had a good time on this day though.

]

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/12/20 02:12 AM

Took my 05 Husky to the motocross track...kickstand and all! Sure...she's 16lbs heavier than my Honda...but she makes up for it by having 8 less horsepower. thumbsup

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/31/20 09:48 PM

Playing on the expert trails:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/20/20 09:21 AM

OTHG saturday practice before the Sunday race. (which I missed)

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/26/20 06:46 AM

"Did I finally clear the step-up @Club Moto" is the title for this one:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 12/07/20 06:07 AM

We had a toy drive ride day for a member in our chapter that passed away on the track a few weeks ago.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 01/19/21 06:41 AM

I put a big bore 270cc kit on my aging bike...upping it from a 250. Really liking the bike again. The combination of the big bore and the new Yoshimira exhaust makes this bike soung great!

Here's a video of me taking it out the first time and breaking it in:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 01/19/21 12:18 PM

How much power change do you think it made ? More torque at a lower RPM ?

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 01/19/21 07:58 PM

How much power change do you think it made ? More torque at a lower RPM ?

Going big bore generally adds more torque throughout the whole range. I noticed it pulling harder from off idle all the way up through to 10,500 rpm. This bike's rev limiter is at 14k rpms...I never went past 10.5 though so I'm not sure if it signs off at the very top.

I've had this bike for 4&1/2 years now...was thinking about buying a new $12k 450. This bore kit and exhaust made it a different bike...bought the ole' girl some time! And it only cost me about $900! (wife's happy about that). I will still be shy about 10-15 horsepower to the 450s and 350s on my starting gate...but the fun factor just went way up!

thumbsup

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 01/21/21 06:21 AM

Here's some pics I put to music of our last outing. It's short at 90 seconds:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 01/27/21 05:51 AM

Here's a short one of trying to Iron-on my number on my jersey. Didn't go well:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 02/01/21 05:23 AM

First race on the big bore kit:
Just the first moto

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 02/03/21 02:47 AM

This is the second moto on the 270 kit. My fitness pretty much said "Go on without me"...but I got some passes at the end:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 03/16/21 06:47 AM

My buddy went down hard in this one. Got fancy with the editor for the intro...turn it up if you're over 40!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/12/21 07:27 AM

Another race day:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/14/21 02:33 AM

Moto 2 from the same race:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/15/21 12:15 AM

Love the new sound, and also the fact you're going strong and keeping at it.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/15/21 04:54 PM

Love the new sound, and also the fact you're going strong and keeping at it.

Thanks RS! I really like how the bike sounds too...it's got a nice growl to it. Still keeping at it it for sure...but I would replace "strong" with something like "dying inside"...lol. At 53...not sure how much longer I have left in this hobby! thumbsup

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/25/21 09:30 PM

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/29/21 03:57 AM

Got hit with a shotgun like roost in this short one:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 06/15/21 04:43 AM

I'm taking a break from racing and riding motocross tracks...my daughter is getting married and I'm not taking a chance of being in a cast or on crutches for her big day.

I did slip in some "light" trail riding on Sunday though. wink

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/25/21 02:36 AM

Back on the track after 3 months off for real life stuff:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/19/21 01:46 AM

Force10, I flew cross-country and near Elkhead, Missouri at someplace called Mammoth Spring, I saw this track and thought of you. Still amazed at you taking up motocross.

[Linked Image]

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/22/21 10:59 PM

Force10, I flew cross-country and near Elkhead, Missouri at someplace called Mammoth Spring, I saw this track and thought of you. Still amazed at you taking up motocross.

[Linked Image]

Good stuff OG!

That track looks awesome...really long and stretched out for some high speed. Most of the tracks I race on are a lot smaller than that.

Thanks for sharing!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/20/21 02:54 AM

Trying a new track layout at my local place:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/21/21 06:56 PM

Was checking on this thread and noticed it hit 100,000 views. smile

SimHQ isn't really the target audience for this kinda stuff...so that's surprising. I know a lot of the views are most likely bots or search spiders? Not sure...but cool none the less.

Thanks to the folks here that have been checking in on an old guy trying to race motocross! salute

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/22/21 05:11 PM

This is from my buddy's POV on that last vid of him trying to get by me in those first 5 mins:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/11/21 06:15 AM

Got back on a starting gate after not racing for 6 months:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/14/21 03:45 AM

Moto 2 from Hangtown mx:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 11/16/21 05:28 AM

This was Saturday practice before the last race of the year, It's super short with clips and music:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 12/06/21 08:57 AM

Probably the last ride of the year for me...toy drive ride with intro music from Ronnie Montrose:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 01/25/22 04:00 AM

I managed to get some laps in on Saturday...seeing if I'm in shape for a race this weekend.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 03/06/22 01:58 AM

Got some track time in today:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/04/22 02:44 AM

Our chapter had a free ride day at Diablo Mx:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/11/22 08:52 AM

My first race in 7 months...it didn't go great:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/25/22 02:00 AM

National race at Hagtown...they cancelled Friday practice cause of weather. It was muddy!:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 07/18/22 01:22 AM

Riding a 2006 Triumph Bonneville home for my son since he doesn't have his M1 license yet:

Also went to the track for the first time in 3 months:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/02/22 03:10 AM

I sold my trail bike so I trail rode my race bike:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/12/22 03:15 AM

Just went and watched my friends race...firts time I've been to a race...without my bike.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/30/22 08:44 AM

Fun track day at Diablo mx with some friends:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/30/22 02:01 PM

I can’t tell you how impressed with you starting this endeavor. Very cool. I’m praying that you never have bad injuries. At our age we don’t bounce back the way we used to.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 10/31/22 05:59 PM

I can’t tell you how impressed with you starting this endeavor. Very cool. I’m praying that you never have bad injuries. At our age we don’t bounce back the way we used to.

I appreciate that a lot OG...thank you! Prayers are most certainly welcome! I was raised going to church, though I'm not overtly religious at this time of my life...and my Mom prays for me before every race and ride!

I actually get a little nervous if I text her I'm riding/racing and she doesn't respond with a "Prayers sent" text right away...lol. I've raced in 6 seasons of motocross now (5 years) and have yet to break a bone or require a hospital visit...that is extremely rare.

Motocross doesn't discriminate...everyone gets hurt. Doesn't matter if you're the fastest pro or the slowest squid...happens to all. I've been extremely lucky. I've accepted it's going to happen sooner or later...it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop though!

I've been hurt...but not hospital injured. As i'm lip skidding into 55 years old soon...not sure how long the old body can keep it up. I have been toning it way back lately.

Thanks for checking out the vids! smile

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 02/10/23 04:30 AM

A compilation of the last 3 years racing and riding. Turn it up.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 04/26/23 04:43 AM

Some trail riding...first time on the bike in 6 months:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/14/23 10:25 AM

Taking my son's 2012 Harley Softail out for a spin. (we just bought it today):

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/23/23 07:36 AM

Super short of me riding the trails at Hollister Hills. Got some Pat Travers going in the background:

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 05/28/23 11:54 PM

The wife jumped on the back of my son's old Triumph with me and we went for a ride. We haven't double rode in a long time. The first time we did it together...I was 18 and she was 24, I'm 55 now...lol.

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/22/23 08:33 AM

I ended buying the Triumph Bonneville from my son...some clips:

Posted By: wormfood

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/22/23 12:31 PM

That's a tight fit.

Also, those Bonneville's are some nice looking bikes. How's it ride?

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 08/22/23 04:36 PM

It's a super easy bike to ride IMO.

I like cafe racer style bikes...it's a nice tweener between laid back cruisers and sport bikes. Having a lot of fun on it!

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/09/23 05:56 PM

This video is a SimHQ exclusive...lol.

It's actually just an unlisted video I that I made and sent to a few friends to check out. (less than 2 minutes long)

The first part is me messing with my son at the end of our ride...I went into a little "starting gate" mode at a street light. Complete with legs dragging behind me through the intersection for full effect. (he's a cop BTW lol)

About 20 minutes later we were merging on the freeway...and I see my boss in his van. He's my boss but we've worked together at least 5 days a week for the last 22 years at the same company and are good friends. Friday we were talking about how he was going with his son to do a Spartan race in San Jose and I was going on a ride with my son. We live in the heavily populated SF Bay Area in the Silicon Valley...so not exactly sparsely populated...lol.

(It's bumming me out that the embed feature doesn't work here anymore...if anyone figures out why please share!)

Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/09/23 07:41 PM

Test

OK, I think that is fixed (YouTube videos only)

Re: My first open practice on a mx track - 09/10/23 01:39 AM

Brilliant Cyberkut...you are a steely eyed admin!

Thanks salute
© 2024 SimHQ Forums