homepage

What broadband speed are you getting.

Posted By: marko1231123

What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 10:36 AM

Having some on going issues with my provider not getting anywhere near what i signed up for.
From what i have read some nations invest large sums of tax payers money to make sure there city suburbs and rural areas have at least a decent speed not the case in my country.
So what speed are you guys getting and do you live in a city suburb or rural.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 11:34 AM

I live in a city.I have FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) I get very close to what I was promised.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DBond

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 11:36 AM

Verizon FIOS, suburb/rural

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BD-123

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 11:39 AM

1.2 thingummies on a good day, though shiny new cabinet just installed outside the village promises better things to come when enabled, though we will still be on exposed post copper wire from there so expect no more than 20 thingummies at best. Joys of rural life.
Posted By: Lieste

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 01:55 PM

11ms, 74.27Mbps down, 18.95Mbps up. (headline 72Mbps down)

BT Fibre, cabinet well within 100m. While I have no doubt about the speed they provide (large downloads complete in times appropriate to the claimed speeds) I do notice that the response to page requests is often quite poor (but I suspect this is at least partially AV/OS/Browser clashes, rather than the ISP).

For 'below par' performance, there are two possible things I'd consider, one is that contention for low cost supply is often much higher than for the premium supplies - and at peak times this can significantly suppress the attained maximum and even averages... the other is that if you connect to your router via wifi, that a small position change in either the served equipment or the repeater can transform signal strength and effective speed. (A few inches is the required change in location often).
Posted By: Chef

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 02:08 PM

10 down/1 up ...when its working. Then again I live 5 miles south of a 2 stop light town in the Appalachian mountains. We could pay for "up to" 20 down/ 2 up but our ISP frequently can't meet 10/1 standards so I see no reason to pay more for speeds they can't consistently deliver.

My in-laws can't even get satellite internet so have to settle for 56K dial up.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 02:28 PM

200 Down 20 up was advertised, I get fairly close to that:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 03:34 PM

I live in a rural area as well. My only real option is a wireless provider. The real sad part is i pay $150+ tax a month. My limit is 400GB.
The Canadian government recently declared Broadband necessary for quality of life. Speeds of a min 50GB down. They have dedicated $750 Mil to the project. Target for all of Canada is 5 yrs. So there is at least hope.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by WangoTango
Target for all of Canada is 5 yrs. So there is at least hope.

]

I think something like 80% of the Canadian population lives within 100 miles of the US/Canadian border? I can't see too many broadband users in the NW Territory or Yukon. biggrin
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 04:32 PM

Ping 17ms, Download 28.42Mbps, upload 4.41Mbps. Provider is Spectrum. Oh, and I live in a city.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 04:53 PM

Better than promised 100 down, 10 up. It should be, they just hit me with a 20% plus rate increase.

Rural small town.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dart

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 05:24 PM

20 down, 1.5 up....but right now we're stressing our poor router with all the junk connected to it and demanding bandwith.
Posted By: Master

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 06:15 PM

[Linked Image]

I pay 110 a month for this service and I am data capped and it goes out very frequently. They have a monopoly in my area though. Service gets worse. Bandwidth gets worse. Price goes up. #%&*$# Comcast
Posted By: Brun

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 06:35 PM

Supposedly on 150Mb, so no complaints here.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 08:23 PM

11ms 120 down 6 up, suburban Washington, D.C.
Posted By: DBond

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 08:39 PM

Based on these posts I see why I make a good host for Falcon 4. My upload is actually faster than my download. I don't pretend to know why... but why? Why is my upload so much faster than the other results posted here?
Posted By: Tigerwulf

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 08:56 PM

200Mb package with Virgin Media here in Wolves

[Linked Image]

And for comparison a test to a server in New York

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/29/17 11:42 PM

[Linked Image]

I live in the suburbs. Not many neighbors though.
Posted By: piper

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/30/17 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bib4Tuna
[Linked Image]

Bib, I call #%&*$#. I also have "TWC now Spectrum" and get orders of magnitude less than you here in Raleigh.
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/30/17 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by piper
Originally Posted by Bib4Tuna
[Linked Image]

Bib, I call #%&*$#. I also have "TWC now Spectrum" and get orders of magnitude less than you here in Raleigh.

Nope, no BS.

Costs a pretty penny too, but I do not have cable TV or VOIP phone, so it balances out.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/30/17 02:42 PM

Do they screw you guys over there with ridiculous package differences?
Here, comcast offers 70-80mbps, which is generally more than even major users like us need in bandwidth.
However, the next lower tier, instead of something hat would make sense, like 50mbps, the next lower is like 10mbps, far too little.
We can have 15 or more devices online, some gaming, some streaming, but rarely need the full bandwidth, but they corner you into it.

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/30/17 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
Do they screw you guys over there with ridiculous package differences?
Here, comcast offers 70-80mbps, which is generally more than even major users like us need in bandwidth.
However, the next lower tier, instead of something hat would make sense, like 50mbps, the next lower is like 10mbps, far too little.
We can have 15 or more devices online, some gaming, some streaming, but rarely need the full bandwidth, but they corner you into it.

I call it the "movie popcorn" scam where the "small popcorn" costs you like $5.50 but then if you want a medium sized popcorn it's only like 50 cents more and the large popcorn is just 50 cents more than that. It's an effective way of making sure they'll gouge you for a certain amount of money.
Posted By: marko1231123

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/30/17 03:19 PM

Talkabout a coincidence.
seen some workmen digging up the pavement at the entrance to my housing estate.
Nothing knew their, but then i seen the vans were from virgin media.
Could not resist asking them what there were doing.(Oh yes) laying fibre optic cable for the whole estate and my area it will take a while but who cares
So a large uk based company can do what the Irish government cant /wont do bring high speed internet to rural areas
The only problem is i am now signed up to a two year contract with my current provider with a hefty penalty clause if i want to cancel.
Have to say i was surprised at some of the speeds are american cousins are getting and at high cost i would have thought the US would be at the top of the list for price and speed.
Probably the case in the large cities
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/30/17 04:09 PM

I have TWC (Now Spectrum), and I have to say I have actually been pretty satisfied with their Internet performance. Here's what I'm getting:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ajay

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/30/17 04:50 PM

Australia, Brisbane, about as good as you can get for a decent price...thanks to our pollies fighting about over our internet for the last ten plus years and getting nowhere whilst doing it. Idiots.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Chef

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/30/17 05:17 PM

You know... y'all do have nice internet speeds but I'd still take my 10/1 and live as deep in the sticks as I can get. These are some of the places no more than 20 minutes away from me. There are trade offs with most places you live in. I'll be walking near the lake early tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 06/30/17 05:26 PM

Once I'm retired I wouldn't mind living in a remote place like that Chef! Nice pics.
Posted By: David Kennard

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 07/01/17 11:32 PM

Paying for 100mbs service and got this result today . . . nice

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 07/04/17 03:42 PM

[Linked Image]
Roughly getting what I am paying for so I can't complain about the provider.

Wheels
Posted By: JimK

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 07/04/17 04:18 PM

Xfinity Comcast here, paying for Blast speeds.

[img]http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6428306773[/img]
Posted By: Airdrop01

Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 07/04/17 04:37 PM

Local like 900/900 on Google Fiber.

I did Dublin and got this:

[Linked Image]
© 2024 SimHQ Forums