homepage

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Edition

Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Edition - 06/04/17 08:24 PM

Anyone else playing this?

Just started, I'm seriously impressed. This looks waaaay better than Uncharted 4 (though I miss the easy humor that Nathan brings), the settings seem more like what the "old games" had too. I enjoyed the 2013 reboot and this is the same on steroids.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Edition - 06/05/17 03:52 AM

It's a goodun.
Posted By: bones

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Edition - 06/05/17 02:00 PM

I've been playing this on and off since last year. It's pretty good! I think I liked how she looked in the reboot better--there is something like in the cut scenes that don't really look right, like her face is out of proportion or something, but in actual gameplay it appears fine. They did good on this. Of course I'm running around in Siberia with a bunch of partisans trying to find a hidden tomb that the map tells me I'm right on top of but hey, if I didn't it wouldn't be Tomb Raider, right?

Did you see they are making a movie of this incarnation of Tomb Raider with Alicia Vikander?

New Tomb Raider Movie

I dunno, I'm not real convinced of this movie version. Pretty faithful to the rebooted video game though.

v6,
boNes
Posted By: Coot

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Edition - 06/05/17 04:22 PM

I played through it a year ago RSColonel and loved it. I'm going to re-install soon and play again. I think they are on the right track as I loved both reboot games. I like the more serious tone and realistic approach of her becoming what she is by her tough experiences. I recently finished Uncharted 4 and loved it. I think its an outstanding looking game. So is RoT but I'm not sure Its better looking its just that they both are excellent in game play and visuals. I can't afford to run extensive anti-aliasing in the game so it looks pretty rough in the geothermal valley level. I've now played through Uncharted1-3 twice(once on PS3 and once on the excellent PS4 remaster) and The Last of Us twice(once on PS3 and once on the excellent PS4 remaster)

One thing I admire about Square Enix this last time around, is that they continued to support the game after release pretty substantially in my opinion. I personally really dislike the camera bob existing in the first reboot and in the RoT. I've had corrective lenses for most my life and my eyes are really sensative to strain. That's why I hate post process things like chromatic abberation and too much camera bob. I like a little head bob in a FPS but the camera bob stuff really bugs me. This time around they actually added in through a patch after the fact a game option to turn that off in RoT. Very cool of them to do post release. I wish they would go back and do it for the first but it is what it is.

I really, really loved the Siberian wilderness area where its mostly snow and woods. The lighting of that and hiding in trees watching the soldiers below is just breath taking at moments. I wish that level lasted longer. I try going for most extra tomb stuff to get the most out of it but I think there's a few I missed.

@bones - I think I might know the exact place you are talking about. I spent hours trying to find a tomb the map said I was right on top of. I went back and forth trying to find what apparently is a hidden entrance. If it is the same place I'm thinking of and if I remember correctly, there is an old well hidden that you have to descend. Either that or its one of those places where you have to progress enough to acquire the re-breather and then go back to that spot at another time I believe. I could be wrong on that but I believe there are a couple of tombs like that where you can't access them early on.
Posted By: bones

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Edition - 06/05/17 07:43 PM

Coot,

I know the well you are talking about, I did find that one. This other tomb is near it though, north of it. I'll have to check again to verify. I kinda gave up on it and went on to the prepare the partisans for war level.

v6,
boNes
Posted By: Spidey

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Edition - 06/05/17 08:23 PM

Played it and loved it. More or less 100 percent it on PS4.

Its great but you can't really compare it to Uncharted4 though. UC4 is more of a story driven game. TR is more of a typical open world game. They are both must have games.
Posted By: kestrel79

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Edition - 06/06/17 04:51 AM

So how many Tomb Raider reboots are there now on ps4? 2 or 3? I need to play these, they all look great but there are so many editions out of the same game now I don't know which one to get.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Edition - 06/06/17 06:13 AM

Kestrel, stick with Rise of the Tomb Raider, as it took the best of the series and either toned down or got rid of the worst of it (particularly in the "rebooted" games).

First, Lara doesn't sound asthmatic or use catch phrases. Hhhuuummmpphhh Hhhhuuummmppphhhh I can do this! Hhhhuummmpphh Hhhhummmppphh got tiresome really quick in the previous "reboots."

Second, the infamous Quick Time Event is limited to very specific circumstances in combat and can be avoided. I have learned to hate QTE's, and was pleased they were gone.

Third, puzzles are fairly straight forward and have some logic to them, as are the levels. Yes, she's still a murderous psychopath, but stealth pays off in this game.

Fourth, they either fixed their camera programming or designed the levels to take it into account, but the usual blind leaps of faith that mark the series are absent.

Fifth, the cut scenes are neither overly long or ill placed. They really advance the story and give a reason for what one is doing the things one is doing.

And lastly, Lara is wearing what one would expect someone to wear. No skin tight shiny snowsuits this time around. This is both good and bad, obviously.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Edition - 06/06/17 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dart
Yes, she's still a murderous psychopath...

You are just frustrated that she isn't redheaded.

Me too.

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Edition - 06/06/17 02:14 PM

@Kestral, There's only two of the recent reboots. "Tombraider" 2013 and "Rise of the Tombraider". They both are what exists of the reboots right now. I wouldn't worry too much on which edition to get as much of the extras are just mp stuff but the stuff that is worth it to me is the extra outfits you can wear and change out during your game play. The PC and PS4 versions of Tombraider2013 graphically are on par with each other. I went with the PC version. Almost every Steam sale sells the ultimate edition of the game for 5 bucks. But if you are a PS4 only player then make sure you get the PS4 Remaster. I believe there is only on PS4 version of the first game so there's no chance of error when you go to purchase. The PS4 remasters and upgrades some of the visuals from the original PS3 version and unlocks 60 FPS. I first got it on PS4 and it ran and looked great. There were a few areas where fps dropped but overall it was consistent.

I'm pretty sure there's only two versions of "Rise of Tombraider." Same thing, I'd recommend getting whatever the special edition is as it comes with extra single player outfits and such. If you like these games get both. They are both very good. The QTE moments are not as bad as they are made out to be in the first one though there were a couple that could be annoying but really no big deal. The thing I dislike the most as I mentioned above was the camera bobbing effect in the first but I could live with it for such a fun game. In the second game they actually patched in after release and option to turn it off in the second game which was awesome of them to do. My take is get them BOTH! Both are excellent, gritty, dramatic, violent, crafting, mysteries to be discovered games. They take a little more of a realistic tone than Uncharted but they aren't too dissimilar such as platforming is great fun in both but not really truly realistic because of how light everyone jumps about and how much superhuman stamina they seem to possess. Its a game though and they both do a great job of being FUN first and foremost.

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Edition - 06/06/17 02:24 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Tomb-Raider-Definitive-PlayStation-4/dp/B00GZ1GUSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496758680&sr=8-1&keywords=Tombraider%2BPS4&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Tomb-Ra...0&sr=8-2&keywords=Tombraider+PS4

There's really only version of each game for the PS4 Kestral. Rise of Tombraider pulled an Xbox One exlcusive thing when it came out but eventually made its way to PS4 and PC. When it finally came over I think only the one "Anniversary" edition exists. There's really no multiple versions I don't believe.

The PC version of Tombraider 2013 (first reboot game) I think uses a different hair physics engine but again visually, they are both similar and really excellent at maxed out options. The only thing I have not been able to find is good anti-aliasing for the PC version. But it sounds like you'd be after the PS4 only versions which again there is only one version of each game. I suppose if you own an Xbox One then there's the original version of Rise of Tombraider still out there that can be purchased.
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Edition - 06/07/17 08:13 PM

I preferred the first game. But Rise was fun to. I don't like how they made Lara uglier in Rise, but not much of a big deal. I thought the 2nd game's story was a bit too far fetched and never fleshed out enough for me to really care about the central plot. The mixed theme of survival and finding some odd ancient cult was more interesting to me. Wonder how the next game will be... sadly, it has been moved to a different studio so it may not be as good. And the next Deus Ex is put on hold for some crappy Marvel games.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums