homepage

Question about DampRid for our chemistry/recycling/smart guys

Posted By: oldgrognard

Question about DampRid for our chemistry/recycling/smart guys - 06/04/17 06:46 PM

My wife likes using these in our closets.

[Linked Image]

After use it says to just throw in the trash. I'm not a fan of that. My question is what else can be done ? The ingredient is mainly calcium chloride. Can it be used on the lawn or plants instead of throwing out. Is it better to pour on the driveway and allow to evaporate rather than throwing in trash/landfill ?
Posted By: DaBBQ

Re: Question about DampRid for our chemistry/recycling/smart guys - 06/04/17 07:26 PM

The salt is already harden enough to resist sledgehammer blows so you cannot grind it back down to power for be baked. If you want a reusable desiccants, find a silica based cobalt chloride color changing beads that can be baked in the oven and placed in a suitable container.

*EDIT* I looked at my HA desiccant and its an Anhydrous Calcium Sulfate or Drierite that can be baked to release the moisture from the crystals and placed anywhere to keep the area dry.

Re: Question about DampRid for our chemistry/recycling/smart guys - 06/04/17 07:31 PM

After use it is a liquid. Just a bag full of liquid with, I guess, the calcium chloride suspended in it. I have a pool and use powder calcium chloride to balance the hardness/calcium level. It pours in as a powder and quickly dissolves. I would think this is the same stuff, but wonder if there is something else that makes it different.

I use the silica beads as desiccant in my gun safes. I use the contained system where once it indicates saturated, it plugs in and dehumidifies. I also have a bunch of bags that I recharge in the oven at 175 degree F.

Re: Question about DampRid for our chemistry/recycling/smart guys - 06/04/17 07:38 PM

I've done some on-line searching and found this.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/calcium-chloride-plants-52495.html

So, it looks like if I dilute it and use a sprayer, it is actually good for the plants. Not to be overdone.

But getting back to my question; is there something that I'm missing about disposing/using it ?
Posted By: ADorante

Re: Question about DampRid for our chemistry/recycling/smart guys - 06/04/17 09:44 PM

Calciumchloride seems to be mostly harmless, can't tell what they added to the preparation, but from my knowledge odor suppressants are mostly cyclodextrins i.e. circular polysaccharids i.e. sugar --> harmless. Calciumchloride solution is indeed applied to roadways to suppress formation of dust.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums