homepage

Far Cry 5

Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Far Cry 5 - 05/22/17 07:50 PM

Teaser trailer:

Will take place in modern day Montana. Rumor: Your character will be a law enforcement officer and the antagonist is some sort of davidian apocalyptic cult.
Posted By: Master

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/22/17 07:54 PM

Longmire the video game... yep ill buy that #%&*$#! Especially if it lets you do actual cop stuff as well as going through the story tracking down a cult leader.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/22/17 11:25 PM

as long as it's NOT Montana BC... wink
Posted By: DaBBQ

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/23/17 07:32 AM

Now why wouldn't Ubi release another silent hunter game now?
Posted By: Coot

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/23/17 07:34 AM

I like the setting and even time period especially if they do do a Longmire type subject matter but I have to say I don't look forward to the way that ubisoft may potentially portray "Christians" or those of faith and people of flyover country. I can't seem get into FarCry4 at all for some reason but this one might be good.
Posted By: Brun

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/23/17 09:10 AM

Expect it'll be full of the Ubisoft tropes: Unlock checkpoints; climb towers; collect things.

The Far Crys, Assassin's Creeds and Watch Dogs increasing feel like the same game in a different setting.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/23/17 09:55 AM

I'll give them points for choosing a fresh setting, but I expect to be disappointed on the gameplay.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/23/17 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by DaBBQ

Because the return on investment isn't worth it? Why make a game that might net you 50k copies sold when you can make a game like Far Cry that will net you a million copies sold?

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/23/17 12:08 PM

I'm hoping they finally do a better job with the new Assassin's Creed. Its in Egypt which is a setting I've always wanted to see and supposedly they are taking steps to make it something new and different. I don't know that they themselves know or care that they've been the same rehashed thing the past few games but it sounds like they may be listening to the folks telling them that. I'd like like to see this next FarCry change up the formula as well with a different kind of gameplay focus. An open world Longmire/Twin Peaks with better gameplay and a strong story with interesting characters that you care about or want to bring to justice with a more down to earth drama would be nice.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/23/17 01:28 PM

I like AC Unity and Syndicate, they had to do some things different to avoid more Black Flag type play. BF was the best, but that and Rogue were enough of that since they did what they did so well.
I wish they would just give us Japan and China settings. A full on AC ninja game would rock, it just seems perfect to me.

FC5 looks interesting, even if maybe a little too reinvented. Could be this may have been better off as a new title. I'd still like to have a redone, perfected, FC2, fixing its flaws and adding the survival type gaming people like these days. I liked how dark that game was.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 12:11 AM

That does sound like a great idea RK with remaking FC2. I love the original FarCry. I'd very much like to see another game take place on an island of Dr. Moreau type setting and location.(I think there is a Moreau-themed FPS on Steam Greenlight which looks very cool and very creepy) The latter AC games have elements about them that are very good including the architecture and city scale but other aspects always take a hit it seems for some reason.

For example I'd be happy if Unity had the combat of AC1 and AC2 combined with a few of AC3's combat elements,(Syndicate's combat is horrible in my opinion. Truly just button mashing and none of the strategy and control say of the earlier games or Witcher or Shadow of Mordor. I don't know who thought what they did was acceptable) had the better optimization of Syndicate, more responsive parkour, NO Batman tactics of Syndicate, AC3&4s rope dart, no micro-transactions and complete HUD options that can be turned off with nothing forced to be on including and especially objective markers.
Posted By: BlueHeron

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 01:59 AM

I really like how each installment is in a new environment, instead of rehashing the same setting and story each time. Kind of like an anthology! smile
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Coot
I like the setting and even time period especially if they do do a Longmire type subject matter but I have to say I don't look forward to the way that ubisoft may potentially portray "Christians" or those of faith and people of flyover country. I can't seem get into FarCry4 at all for some reason but this one might be good.

Yep. There's a danger they might try and shove propaganda into this one, with all the Christian bashing that goes on these days.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 02:39 AM

Like they didnt bash the subject matter of the other games? lol

I really dont care if they do a crazy christians thing. In fact I hope they do. It would show at least they are not biased.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Because the return on investment isn't worth it? Why make a game that might net you 50k copies sold when you can make a game like Far Cry that will net you a million copies sold?

Okay, maybe I'll be just fine if the leader is some crazy ex russian rabbit farmer with lots of wives.
Posted By: Ant

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 08:07 AM

Does anyone else wish that far cry would take at least one detour back to it's sci-fi roots?

I'm a big fan of the series, but I often miss the original's 'Island of Dr Moreau' setting. A STALKER type open world game from Ubisoft could be pretty good.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ant
Does anyone else wish that far cry would take at least one detour back to it's sci-fi roots?

I'm a big fan of the series, but I often miss the original's 'Island of Dr Moreau' setting. A STALKER type open world game from Ubisoft could be pretty good.

The team behind the first farcry left Ubisoft and recreated it with Crysis. There may a agreement not to recreate it.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ant

The team behind the first farcry left Ubisoft and recreated it with Crysis. There may a agreement not to recreate it.

Unfortunately, I found Crysis to be a bit of a mixed bag. I can't imagine any such agreement being made. I can understand them agreeing to not going back and remaking/rebooting the original Far cry or it's theme, but I can't possibly imagine Ubisoft saying they'd agree to only ever set far cry in the 'real world' We know this isn't the case from the 'Blood Dragon' expansion. Much as I like Far cry I never seem to get the same kind of trepidation facing human opponents as I do from supernatural ones, such as those in STALKER.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ant

wave
I love the original FarCry. I'd very much like to see another game take place on an island of Dr. Moreau type setting and location.(I think there is a Moreau-themed FPS on Steam Greenlight which looks very cool and very creepy)

I'll see if I can find the name of that game on Greenlight. Like I said I would love another FarCry 1 themed game to be done. I remember well the trepidation I felt when having to encounter those monkey pigs while searching the deep jungle facility. I may react differently now but back then in 2004, shutters.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 02:42 PM

Sorry, must have missed your post in speed reading the thread smile That game sounds good, unfortunately, I'm pretty much exclusively a console gamer these days, so a Steam game isn't much use to me now frown

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ant
That game sounds good, unfortunately, I'm pretty much exclusively a console gamer these days, so a Steam game isn't much use to me now frown

Why the sad face? I'm assuming you are exclusively a console gamer by choice?

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Ant
That game sounds good, unfortunately, I'm pretty much exclusively a console gamer these days, so a Steam game isn't much use to me now frown

Why the sad face? I'm assuming you are exclusively a console gamer by choice?

Yes, but it's been largely a bittersweet choice borne out of a growing reluctance to maintain a 'Gaming PC' with all that entails, such as hardware upgrades, performance settings/problems, tweaks etc. Particularly as most of the better games I want to play these days are on console anyway. There are still a few PC only games I'd like to play but just can't be bothered dropping a few hundred pounds for a new gaming rig to replace my old PC only to find that I've played one game and then gone back to playing console titles for the next six months.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 04:19 PM

"Box" cover art:

[Linked Image]

Yep...that's what they are going for.

They even have a radio tower in the background.... biggrin
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 04:31 PM

Count me out.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 09:53 PM

That's what I figured....
Posted By: Aeronautico

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 10:22 PM

What is that though, a P-51?
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 10:55 PM

Is this being created by Ubisoft Montreal?
Posted By: Corktip 14

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/24/17 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Aeronautico
What is that though, a P-51?

Looks somewhat like a Hispano 1112 gunning down some kind of DHC Beaver on floats!
Posted By: Aeronautico

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 07:26 AM

I don't know: guns positioning, rockets rails, yellow nose and the metal finishing with the black "bonnet" all point to a P-51 to me

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 11:02 AM

I'm pretty sure I'll be skipping on this one. The only reason I got Far Cry 4 was for the cooperative mode.
Posted By: W-Molders

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 12:40 PM

I love the box art... attacks white males..guns.. christians... and any sort of unity among that... what a joke of ultimate underlying PC crap.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 02:05 PM

I see nothing wrong with it. It's just a game, I'll take out nutty rednecks just as easily as Bolivian drug lords, African warlords, Eurotrash terrorists, inner city gangs, PMC soldiers, Russian mobsters, Yakuza enforcers...
And have a good time doing it. wink

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 02:19 PM

They are making fun of the Last Supper? Seriously? Well, I loved the series, but I can't consciously support blatant Christian bashing anymore. I guess I'll skip this one. One day folks will learn to separate their philosophies and dogmas from their hatred of others, but I guess, for now, they won't. It is okay to have differences, and even share them, and yes, people will be prejudiced, but if you're going to make a game about it, or a film, or a novel, or a story, then at least show both sides and illustrate the hypocrisy of hatred, not belittle one group because you can.
Posted By: Forward Observer

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
I see nothing wrong with it. It's just a game, I'll take out nutty rednecks just as easily as Bolivian drug lords, African warlords, Eurotrash terrorists, inner city gangs, PMC soldiers, Russian mobsters, Yakuza enforcers...

+1
Posted By: DBond

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 02:58 PM

+2.

I'm happy that I have no capacity to conscientiously object to video games.

I've played each FC that came before, and I will get this one too. I might love it, I might not. But box art won't be the deciding factor. What I think having played it a bit will.

FC has given me some great moments.

I loved the water in the first Far Cry. It was like nothing before. And all of the vegetation that made sneaking around so much fun. Setting brush fires in FC2. Going for joyrides on boats or hang gliders in FC3. The little helicontraption in FC4, lobbing grenades from the launcher at anything and everything passing below. Watching my son go on a rampage atop an elephant and laughing as he flipped cars and rhinos. Vas is one of the best, most compelling characters in any video game I've played.

So yeah, I'll get it.
Posted By: PFunk

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 04:09 PM

I see Ubi is playing it safe.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by PFunk

Whatever it takes to bring in high sales.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 04:57 PM

I don't know about that, potentially offending 70% of Americans doesn't seem like a safe bet to me.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 07:13 PM

Everyone is missing the point. Look at the hair. Look at the plaid. Look at the bootleg booze bottle when they clearly have the money to afford nice clothes, fancy watches, and all that weaponry

They are not drinking Bud, or Coors, or ICE. They got beer from a microbrewery. And that is a gourmet Kobe steak if I've seen one.

These aren't neo-nazi cultists.

These are millennials.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 07:38 PM

...and they must be stopped!
Posted By: Dart

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 07:39 PM

LOL @ the millennials dig. But we know they're gong to paint all Christians with the widest brush they can. Bonus points if they give them horribly faked Southern accents.

I think I'll just stay in my super secret FarCry safe house on this one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bib4Tuna
Everyone is missing the point. Look at the hair. Look at the plaid. Look at the bootleg booze bottle when they clearly have the money to afford nice clothes, fancy watches, and all that weaponry

They are not drinking Bud, or Coors, or ICE. They got beer from a microbrewery. And that is a gourmet Kobe steak if I've seen one.

These aren't neo-nazi cultists.

These are millennials.

Win.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 07:54 PM

There's a million takes on that famous painting across the internet, this one isn't even particularly original.

It does make room for a very interesting antagonist. What are we going to climb this time, water towers?

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 08:10 PM

Is it just me or is their religious symbol pretty much a lookalike of the Scientology one?
Posted By: PFunk

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/25/17 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by F4UDash4

I don't know about that, potentially offending 70% of Americans doesn't seem like a safe bet to me.

On the contrary. It makes perfect sense. Consider the responses in this thread. How many are calling for violence over a clear mischaracterization of their faith? Go ahead and count it up.

The answer is none. What do Christians do when someone mocks them? Nothing. We ignore you. We walk away. We don't buy your product.

What we don't do is strap on nail studded vests and walk into concert halls. It's a safe play on Ubisoft's part, and there are enough consumers that don't have any sort of religious beliefs that the money will take care of itself.

Of course, outside of the morons in Westboro Baptist Church (which isn't even a church) Ubisoft's version of Christianity and actual, practiced Christianity bear about as much resemblance to each other as horsecrap does to roast beef.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 02:17 AM

Well said, PFunk. They may paint us with a bad brush, but real Christians know the truth.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 02:36 AM

We don't buy your product.

That's my point.
Posted By: W-Molders

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 03:13 AM

this game's image is just as lunatic as EA Games recent Battlefield 1 with the main character that is black.... I mean really? not that black people cant be in games or something like that but its so so so so so out of context its so silly how they are trying to force race down our throats and be politically correct with agenda... remember.. video games have pretty much taken over physical print and for the most part TV for a main source of propaganda...

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 05:37 AM

Only one character is black in Battlefield 1, you also play a white British, American, Italian and finish with a Bedouin serving under T.E. Lawrence.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by W-Molders
this game's image is just as lunatic as EA Games recent Battlefield 1 with the main character that is black.... I mean really? not that black people cant be in games or something like that but its so so so so so out of context its so silly how they are trying to force race down our throats and be politically correct with agenda... remember.. video games have pretty much taken over physical print and for the most part TV for a main source of propaganda...

If that character is fighting for the French, it's not so absurd. Lots of "territorial" troops were from Africa, after all.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dart

If that character is fighting for the French, it's not so absurd. Lots of "territorial" troops were from Africa, after all.

Even Imperial Germany had black soldiers who fought for the Kaiser! Of course they only fought in German East Africa, not in Europe.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Well said, PFunk. They may paint us with a bad brush, but real Christians know the truth.

Same as any religion, of course. Crazy is crazy no matter how you slice it.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 02:00 PM

And here....we....go!

Btw....it actually looks awesome!

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 02:08 PM

It looks almost like a Walking Dead game.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 02:25 PM

It will have main story Co-op....SOLD!

In Far Cry 5 players will jump into the shoes of an unnamed Deputy Sheriff, sent into Hope County, Montana, to arrest Joseph Seed, the leader of the 'Project at Eden’s Gate' cult. Players will not only be able to shape their world by disrupting the activities of the cult, drawing attention from the Heralds - Joseph’s three siblings - but they’ll also be able to customise the heck out of their characters, choosing their sex, ethnicity, clothing, look and what not.

But wait, that’s not all! Ubisoft also confirmed that Far Cry 5 would welcome back the co-op campaign, which was conspicuously absent from Far Cry Primal.

Ubisoft didn’t say how many characters would be able to co-op the campaign in Far Cry 5, but said that it won’t just be restricted to co-op side missions, like in Far Cry 4. Players in Far Cry 5 will be able to fully experience the campaign in co-op. Fully. Fully! You get that? There is no word yet on how many players it will support, but as soon as we find out, you’ll be the first to know.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 02:28 PM

Main story coop is definitely a big plus for me. I'll wait and see what the reviews are like before I make a decision.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 03:03 PM

Same as any religion, of course. Crazy is crazy no matter how you slice it.

Not sure what you mean by that... You should probably clarify.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 06:39 PM

To avoid getting political, I'm pointing out that you can have "radical _______ terrorism". It's not religion specific because the people that act that way do not represent their religion, country or race despite their claims. They're just nut jobs creating their own reasoning.
That's why it doesn't bother me where the characters are from, what beliefs they claim or what they look like.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 08:04 PM

We're going to be able to create our own character, choose clothes etc. So I think they're taking the road of Wildlands. TPS with FPS. I hope we still get a proper FPP though.
Posted By: malibu43

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 08:31 PM

To avoid getting political, I'm pointing out that you can have "radical _______ terrorism". It's not religion specific because the people that act that way do not represent their religion, country or race despite their claims. They're just nut jobs creating their own reasoning.
That's why it doesn't bother me where the characters are from, what beliefs they claim or what they look like.

Well put. I was thinking something similar, but never would have been able to write it so clearly and concisely.
Posted By: ADorante

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 09:15 PM

They are making fun of the Last Supper? Seriously? Well, I loved the series, but I can't consciously support blatant Christian bashing anymore. I guess I'll skip this one. One day folks will learn to separate their philosophies and dogmas from their hatred of others, but I guess, for now, they won't. It is okay to have differences, and even share them, and yes, people will be prejudiced, but if you're going to make a game about it, or a film, or a novel, or a story, then at least show both sides and illustrate the hypocrisy of hatred, not belittle one group because you can.

They're not making fun of the last supper -it is a reference to da Vinci's Last Supper - just a renaissance painting, albeit a very famous one:
from the Wikipedia entry:
The Last Supper has frequently been referenced, reproduced, or parodied in Western culture.

Examples:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You see hatred? I think there is just freedom of artistic expression and you're projecting too much.
Keeping up to date is good! But for myself I can say that I am happier when I am not listening too much to those voices that want me to feel angry about stuff.
Let's get not further bogged down in PWEC matters.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 10:23 PM

Ah, okay, fair enough.

In other words, nut jobs will be nut jobs, which makes perfect sense.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/26/17 11:25 PM

Except the blank can only truthfully be filled by one "religion" that accounts for about 99% of the "religion" based terrorism in the real world.
Posted By: rollnloop.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/29/17 05:45 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_siege

Simple as that, no anything bashing, game (very) loosely based on actual events.

This said, I'm no 100% fan of Far Cry games, quite enjoyed first part of Far Cry 1, and discovering Primal scenery was nice, and the flame thrower in FC2 with spreading fire was a nice novelty, but they're quickly boring imho.
Posted By: LightHead

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/30/17 07:51 PM

Co-op sounds fun! Plus the setting is a nice refreshment from the usual 3rd world land full of cobbled together huts and jungle animals. It'll be interesting to see how they create a sense of isolation in a modern 1st world nation. I recall there was a cult in the 80s that basically moved thousands of its people in to a county somewhere in the Midwest and ended up getting their people in power in the local elections thanks to swaying the vote with their loyal supporters. Built a giant compound with an airstrip and everything before the FBI shut them down.

Looking like it's gonna be a goofy open world shooter full of hunting cows, minigun equipped Cessna's and clearing towers (was hoping for a different gameplay angle from the towers but it seems the Ubisoft formula).

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/30/17 08:19 PM

FC4 had main game coop as well didnt it? I have the game but never got that far into it. It got old fast to say the least. (also UBI revoked my key when my computer crashed and I put a new harddrive in it. They said it was a stolen key even though I sent them a picture of me holding the cds and box with the key.) I hate UBIsoft.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/30/17 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Master
FC4 had main game coop as well didnt it?

There were co-op missions, but you could not play through the whole campaign as co-op. That is what they are advertising now.
Posted By: malibu43

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/31/17 06:34 AM

Except the blank can only truthfully be filled by one "religion" that accounts for about 99% of the "religion" based terrorism in the real world.

And that means that all fictitious terror related stories and have to follow that trend?

Can't this game be about the other 1%?
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Far Cry 5 - 05/31/17 07:57 AM

I really like the scenery and rural US setting. And the idea that we get to play "our own character" sounds appealing. Coupled with a properly evil antagonist/cult leader I think they have something going there.

Re: Far Cry 5 - 06/12/17 09:25 PM

(Very scripted) gameplay trailer -

Posted By: Forward Observer

Re: Far Cry 5 - 06/12/17 11:04 PM

Nothing like a little John Lee Hooker while you're shootin' the bad guys. I hope they keep that in.

Cheers
© 2024 SimHQ Forums