homepage

Killing off a favorite character - Spoiler Alert

Posted By: Warbirds

Killing off a favorite character - Spoiler Alert - 05/05/17 08:48 AM

I lately seem to be watching a lot of streaming cable drama. I chose those dramas based on Best of sites and so far have been very pleased but also have found that many of them have very similar story tactics. For example several have a daughter that turns to religion and then causes trouble. The one tactic or device used by many of the top rated dramas is to kill off a main, much loved, character about halfway through the series run. This is good and bad, good because it can have some shock value and wake up a meandering plot line, bad in that you like that character and have become comfortable with them and ruin that series for you.

spoiler ahead.

Some of the main top rated dramas I have seen so far that have killed off a main character about midway through the series are The Good Wife, Homeland, The Americans and House of Cards. This plot twist might give a shot to the ratings or, on the other hand, almost cause one to end that drama at that point. I know in my case I have not enjoyed Homeland or The Good Wife as much since this happened.

Has anyone here seen this plot device in your favorite cable streaming drama series? What do you think?
Posted By: DM

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/05/17 10:28 AM

I had that with Boardwalk Empire, the character of Jimmy (I think his name was) was killed off pretty senselessly. It seemed crowbarred in, as I don't think Nucky's character would have done that given his arc so far. It felt like a blatant manipulation for shock effect, and it left a bad taste for me for the remaining series.

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/05/17 10:37 AM

Yes I forgot about that one, I agree, seemed out of character .
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/05/17 10:56 AM

Suggestion warbirds: You may want to include something like "spoiler alert" in the main title of your thread.

As for main character deaths, I enjoy them as long as they actually serve the story by moving the plot forward in a natural way. In other words, it doesn't feel forced or contrived.

I'll bring up the example of "Westworld". I thought the deaths of 3 main characters during the first season were all very well written and those deaths made sense to me and the motives for their deaths were clear in my opinion. I was just REALLY surprised and a bit shocked with the main character who was killed off in the season finale.

Posted By: Ssnake

Re: Killing off a main character - possible spoilers - 05/05/17 11:12 AM

There's two ways - either you want your main characters to survive, then don't write drama scenes that make survival very, very unlikely. Just dial back the tension by a few notches, and concentrate on other aspects in your show. Or you want nailbiting suspense - in that case, be prepared to kill characters, and be ruthless about it. If all the action and drama is inconsequential for the main characters, there IS NO DRAMA.

Example: Stargate Universe, one of the first three or four episodes. The ship, over which they have no control travels from one star system to the next for no apparent reason, opens a gate to the planets for a specific amount of time, closes the gate, and departs. THESE ARE THE RULES. You're too late at the gate, well, F you, you are now stranded without hope for rescue, good-bye. This is a guaranteed formula to build tension - and one that people can very much relate to (who hasn't been late to something, and felt bad about it). And what do they do?
They have a character stick his arm through the open gate to keep it open for the team on the surface. Now, this may be a reasonable safety mechanism, but if they had cut off his arm and abandoned the two blokes on the planet - now, THAT would have been a moment. EVEN IF they had introduced some autodoc that gives the character a bionic arm or that grows the arm back, so they don't have to go full retard on the FX budget, EVEN IF the spaceship would eventually return to the planet and open the same gate again and the two stranded guys make it back - all that would have been an acceptable compromise to retain the tension. But sticking the arm through and getting away with it killed the show for me. At that point I just knew it would be the same-same, with a formulaic approach to build false tension. You maybe can impress kids with that, I'm seeing through all this. Maybe I shouldn't apply meta-knowledge about storytelling techniques, but what can I say. I know about it, I can't ignore what I know, so it influences my perception of a show.

Generally, I like shows better where grave actions have grave consequences.

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/05/17 11:12 AM

PanzerMeyer I haven't seen Westworld yet but it's on my list of "Have to Watch" series. As for spoilers I took your advice. I tried not to be too specific but might be later in this thread.

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/05/17 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ssnake

Yup, same here!

Rome and Game of Thrones are epic examples of where that is implemented. smile

@ Warbirds - No problem! I just know that some posters on message boards get a bit too testy when it comes to spoilers for movies and tv shows.
Posted By: Sunchaser

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/05/17 12:48 PM

Killing off a main character is really good for the budget.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/05/17 12:52 PM

Well, GoT cheated a bit with Melisandre...

Cool example Ssnake.

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/05/17 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sunchaser
Killing off a main character is really good for the budget.

True but I've never heard of a show were an actor was killed off because their salary just became too expensive. However, plenty of actors have been killed off because they wanted to quit the show. For me the most epic example of that is Tasha Yar (Denise Crosby) from ST: TNG.
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/05/17 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
. I was just REALLY surprised and a bit shocked with the main character who was killed off in the season finale.

Or was he? wink

[I believe the showrunners left the door open on that, depeding on whether the actor in question decides to come back or not. Probably a matter of salary smile ]
Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/05/17 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Warbirds
Some of the main top rated dramas I have seen so far that have killed off a main character about midway through the series are ... The Americans and House of Cards.

It depends on how you define "main character". For instance in the Americans I consider 3 people to be main characters - the two spies and Stan, the FBI agent. Same with House of Cards, the Underwoods are the main characters. All others are supporting cast.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/05/17 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ssnake

They have a character stick his arm through the open gate to keep it open for the team on the surface.

That same measure has been used in the main Stargate 1 series a few times to good effect, there is still a time limit on how long the gate can be held open. Been a few years since I last watched the series, I have never seen Stargate Universe yet and only a few episodes of SG. Atlantis, so I cannot comment oh how it has been handled in the later two series.

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/05/17 03:21 PM

"It depends on how you define "main character". For instance in the Americans I consider 3 people to be main characters - the two spies and Stan, the FBI agent. Same with House of Cards, the Underwoods are the main characters. All others are supporting cast."

Spoiler Alert:

Well to me Zoe in HOC was a main character and crucial to the plot line and at least as important as the wife for most of her run. As for the Americans your correct, the FBI chief was support but I liked him. In The Good Wife Josh Charles (Will) wanted a change and left. In Homeland two main characters were killed so far and I liked them both, Brody and Quinn.

Re: Killing off a main character - possible spoilers - 05/05/17 04:23 PM

On a related note, what are some of the saddest and/or most disturbing deaths you've seen on a tv show? I'm talking about the ones that really hit you emotionally.

Julius Caesar's death in "Rome".
Callie Henderson's death in "Battlestar Galactica".
Laura Roslyn's death in "Battlestar Galactica".
Rob and Caitlyn Stark's death in "Game of Thrones".
Shireen Baratheon's death in "Game of Thrones".

Posted By: Top Gun

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/05/17 04:28 PM

"It depends on how you define "main character". For instance in the Americans I consider 3 people to be main characters - the two spies and Stan, the FBI agent. Same with House of Cards, the Underwoods are the main characters. All others are supporting cast."

Spoiler Alert:

Well to me Zoe in HOC was a main character and crucial to the plot line and at least as important as the wife for most of her run. As for the Americans your correct, the FBI chief was support but I liked him. In The Good Wife Josh Charles (Will) wanted a change and left. In Homeland two main characters were killed so far and I liked them both, Brody and Quinn.

i was floored when they killed Zoe in HOC, didn't see that coming at all. When cast want to leave like Will in TGW there's not much you can do, I was getting tired of that routine anyway. Just like Derek Sheppard (Patrick Dempsey) on Gray's Anatomy, they killed him off and it made the show worse. Not because he's gone, but because now the lack of direction his wife has on the show.

GOT is what made me release no one is safe on any good series!
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Killing off a main character - possible spoilers - 05/05/17 04:52 PM

On a related note, what are some of the saddest and/or most disturbing deaths you've seen on a tv show? I'm talking about the ones that really hit you emotionally.

Definitely Shireen's, but I think the one that hit me hardest for its sheer waste and senselessness was

all the soldiers killed in The Battle of the Bastards. Watching it sickened me.
Posted By: kilosierra

Re: Killing off a main character - possible spoilers - 05/05/17 05:12 PM

Hi PM,

agree on the BSG ones and want to add "Dee", really didn`t see that one coming. Haven`t watched GoT.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Killing off a main character - possible spoilers - 05/06/17 02:21 AM

The most stunning killing off of a main character in my memory was Henry Blake on MASH. But then I'm an old fart.

Re: Killing off a favorite character - Spoiler Alert - 05/06/17 02:49 AM

I've read about that and agree that it must have left people dumbstruck until it sunk in. A friend that I got into GoT had that same reaction when
Ned Stark
was killed, she said it was like she'd been punched in the stomach.

Two that haven't been mentioned yet are when
Shepherd Book and Wash were killed in Serenity.

Re: Killing off a favorite character - Spoiler Alert - 05/06/17 03:05 AM

To be more specific about the dramas I have watched and the characters that were dispatched.

In Homeland I was sure that Brody would not be hung but, sure enough, they hung him from a crane. I was a bit stunned and also disappointed and vowed I would never watch another episode but, of course, I did but with less enthusiasm. In House of Cards I did not see Zoe's murder coming and was shocked but it did not dampen my interest in continuing the series because HoC is such a smart drama and so well acted. Now with The Good Wife I was more emotionally involved and so when Will was killed in that courtroom shoot out I was surprised at how sad I was but still continued the series because of the lead actress ( Julianna Margulies)
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Killing off a favorite character - Spoiler Alert - 05/06/17 03:07 AM

Fast forward to 22:40

https://vimeo.com/151204646
Posted By: ADorante

Re: Killing off a favorite character - Spoiler Alert - 05/06/17 06:11 PM

I'm a reader of the Walking Dead comic. Now in issue #167 the author has killed off an important and long-lasting protagonist. It is really an emotionally heavy episode that will surely rile up a lot of fans. Comparable to the introduction of Negan and the Governeur.

(Info tidbit: The Walking Dead comic is the only "independent" comic title that sells nearly as much copies in comic shops as the best-selling Marvel and DC titles. - "Independent" = Not the Big Two)
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/06/17 06:55 PM

I guess you never watched Game of Thrones, OP...

Oh, and Desperate Housewives did it years before these other shows were doing it. So did Babylon 5.

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/06/17 07:11 PM

No but it is on my list of must watch series.

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/06/17 11:31 PM

Babylon 5 killed off some important characters but none of them were nearly as disturbing or as violent as the deaths we've seen on more recent shows. And it's debatable whether one of the major characters really "died". wink

Re: Killing off a main character - 05/07/17 12:51 AM

Babylon 5 killed off some important characters but none of them were nearly as disturbing or as violent as the deaths we've seen on more recent shows. And it's debatable whether one of the major characters really "died". wink

I have not anything as upsetting as:

The first close to death scene of Quinn in Homeland was in a box filled with poisonous gas and if you have seen that scene then you would know how unsettling it was and it had me close to turning it off. His second death was much less torturous but final.

Zoe's death/murder in House of Cards was almost as bad but more of a shock. Being pushed in front of a speeding subway train and seeing it in slow motion complete with blood splatter was almost too much.

The Good Wife sparred us the visuals of Will's death/murder but the after effects and revisits of it were haunting.
Posted By: Falstar

Re: Killing off a main character - 07/10/17 08:52 PM

I stopped watching Game of Thrones for about 1/2 a season, because I was too pissed about Sean Bean, and have only watched it a little on and off since. Wil watch the last season though.

Re: Killing off a main character - 07/10/17 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Falstar
I stopped watching Game of Thrones for about 1/2 a season, because I was too pissed about Sean Bean, and have only watched it a little on and off since. Wil watch the last season though.

Sean Bean dies/gets killed in most of his roles, you should have been half-expecting it LOL
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Killing off a main character - 07/11/17 01:47 AM

Nah, they just go "beyond the rim."
If that really meant death, then all of the First Ones would have been committing mass suicide, as well as the Technomancers.

That may be the nerdiest statement I've ever put in writing.

Re: Killing off a main character - 07/11/17 10:54 AM

Wil watch the last season though.

You will be completely lost if you haven't seen all of the previous episodes.
Posted By: Lieste

Re: Killing off a favorite character - Spoiler Alert - 07/11/17 12:12 PM

Spoiler Alert:

I didn't watch (much of) HOC (US) as I preferred the Francis Urquhart version which I have seen several times. I make an assumption that Zoe is equivalent to Mattie - and she is meant to be killed off if the plot of the UK series is the main source of the story (The original book has Urquhart confronted by Mattie and committing suicide in order to protect his reputation and 'the party' - changed in the series (and in a rewrite of the novel) to Urquhart throwing Mattie from the roof instead allowing Urquhart to continue his career in "To Play the King" and "The Final Cut")
Posted By: DaBBQ

Re: Killing off a favorite character - Spoiler Alert - 07/11/17 02:02 PM

At this point, if you didn't a character from previous episodes, they're dead.
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: Killing off a favorite character - Spoiler Alert - 07/11/17 02:11 PM

agree, this series was meant for binge watching!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums