homepage

We had to put our dog down this weekend.

Posted By: Force10

We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 06:13 PM

Our 14 year old pug Thomas was a great dog...but he had to be put down on Saturday. frown

He was the sweetest, kindest, good hearted dog that wouldn't hurt a fly and an awesome family dog. The median age for pugs is between 8-12 years old, he made it to 14 so I think he had a good run. He lost his hearing a few years ago but it did not slow him down at all!

Here's some shots:

He never really met any food he didn't like...here he is ordering up some drive-thru

[Linked Image]

Letting it hang out!

[Linked Image]

A harsh stare is about all he could muster when he wasn't happy with the cat being on the chair

[Linked Image]

Not a big fan of water, but he would soldier up to be doing what we were doing

[Linked Image]

Back when he was younger

[Linked Image]

This is the last pic taken of him the morning we took him in. Basically blind as well now and could hardly walk.

[Linked Image]

I'm taking deep breaths while posting this...we're all hurting pretty good.

We will miss you Thomas!
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 06:18 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss Force. It's an amazing thing how dogs and cats can and do become part of our families.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 06:20 PM

Force My deepest sympathies...That is one sweet looking pup and I'm sure more than one of us knows the feelings
Posted By: Haggart

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 06:22 PM

Sorry for your loss Force - we just adopted a new dog from the city pound 3 years after losing our German Shep/Chow mix - it took us that long to recover.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 06:24 PM

My condolences to you and your family, Force10.

I know the pain all too well, and one of our cats may soon share the same fate. It never gets easy, nor should it.
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 06:24 PM

Really sorry to hear that Force10. It sucks, even when you know it is coming.

I put down my 13 y.o. Beagle nearly 4 years ago and it still brings a tear to my eye every time I think about her.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 07:01 PM

I hate it for you, and I know how you feel. That's one of the hardest things to have to do. You knew him well though and trusting your gut helped make the right decision.
Keep talking about him and sharing memories and he's still with you is the best advice I can give.
Posted By: coasty

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 07:19 PM

sorry for your loss Force10, but he obviously got lots of love during his life, and thrived.
Posted By: - Ice

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 07:27 PM

Sorry for your loss Force10. He's in a better, happier place now. I used to bury my dogs in the vacant lot next to our house... thankfully, I was in the UK when my last dog died but he spent his last 2-3 years with my uncle and I know he was very happy and loved there.
Posted By: MarkG

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 07:37 PM

My condolences as well, Force10.

I can't relate since I'm on my first (two ~9 year old Jack Russell rescues, had them for ~8), but I know how much an animal can mean to you and how much they become an integral part of your life.

Your pug Thomas sure looks like he was happy and content.
Posted By: Snap

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 07:42 PM

Sorry for your family's loss, Force10.
Posted By: BlueHeron

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 07:48 PM

Sorry to hear that, Force10. Nice pics, it looks like Thomas had a good life!

My girl just turned 14. Not sure how much more she has in her but I'm trying to make sure she enjoys as much as she can.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 08:12 PM

Sorry to hear about the loss of your companion. But take some comfort in knowing that you gave him a good life.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 08:25 PM

Thanks so much for the warm wishes guys!

Sounds like we've all been in the same boat at one time or another...pets will break your heart...it's inevitable. I doubt we will get another dog anytime soon, if ever.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 08:36 PM

Like I said before, you never know. It's not so much about the time being right as it is the dog being right. Not something to worry about right now though, try to reflect on good times.
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 08:56 PM

I put down my 14 yr old Schnauzer last August. Was telling the Wife how much I missed that dog over the weekend. frown

I know it hurts!

And not a dang thing we can say will change that.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 09:07 PM

Losing a beloved dog is terrible. You gave him a good life and 14 is great age for a pug. My current Greyhound turns 11 this July. Please God he has a couple of years left.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 09:13 PM

Sorry to hear that, he was a cute dog.

Hope you get trough the grief and give another puppy a loving home if you feel like it. There aren't enough caring people around.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 09:28 PM

My wife and daughter made this stepping stone from his paw prints. I guess you can call it a cover stone as we plan to bury his ashes in the backyard and cover it with this marker.

[Linked Image]

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 10:33 PM

About not getting another dog.

[Linked Image]

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 11:27 PM

Indeed, OG. I am on rescued Beagles number 4 and 5, right now.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 11:33 PM

The Force10 household isn't exactly void of pets at the moment...lol.

We have two cats...they are now 7 years old that we rescued. A homeowner had his house foreclosed on and he walked away leaving them behind...in the house... at 3 months old.

We have two birds...our Lovebird Douglas is 17 years old! My daughter also has a 2 year old parakeet.

So we do have some pets to shower with love for the time being. thumbsup

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/24/17 11:46 PM

I I got most of my dogs as rescues. Then I got involved with a no-kill rescue group and started fostering dogs. Well, seems like I wasn't good at fostering. I would get dogs in to foster ...
and then I would take them out of the program and keep them. I had to back away from it before I got a pack. Best one I ever had was a rescue. I miss him even many years later.

Good for you chichlidfan and all you others who save rescues and strays.
Posted By: BlueHeron

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/25/17 12:31 AM

Very nice post, OG. Gives a new perspective.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/25/17 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
... then I would take them out of the program and keep them. I had to back away from it before I got a pack.

I know more than one former foster family with the same problem. That is why I never tried it.
Posted By: Tarnsman

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/25/17 12:43 AM

I feel for your loss Force.
I've been there a few times now, and will no doubt be there again.

Remember the good times.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/25/17 01:04 AM

I have owned two retired greyhounds and have fostered maybe 10 more. When Thunder dies I expect I will just foster afterwards.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/25/17 01:21 AM

Always got my kids from a shelter..Lost a dear friend of 16 yeas a couple years ago named Winston,,Swore I'd never get another one,,But the house always seemed empty and now I have Mary Sue a beautiful yellow Lab 80# and it's just her and me,,Every night I get in bed and she sits in the door way until I tell her to get in the bed,,She starts off on one side but by morning I'm about to fall out of bed,,She's worse than a woman crawling up your back,,But she's my kid and nobody ever dare kick her like she was before..And I know nobody will come in the house her hair stands up all down her back when the doorbell rings,,

Posted By: Alicatt

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/25/17 07:16 AM

I feel for your loss Force, it's only been a couple of months since I had to put Jack to sleep and I still miss the little fellow.

The wife wants a border collie but I know I would be the one that has to look after and train it and I'm not sure I would be up to keeping herd on a bundle of energy like that, having had a border collie before I know how much work they can be.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/25/17 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
I I got most of my dogs as rescues. Then I got involved with a no-kill rescue group and started fostering dogs. Well, seems like I wasn't good at fostering. I would get dogs in to foster ...
and then I would take them out of the program and keep them.

That's the 'cunning plan' OG! smile

We have had (and have) a foster dog, the situation here is that we give the dog a home and the Dog's Trust pay for the heavy medical bills which these elderly dogs incur. As pet insurance now more often than not refuse a claim on the grounds that it was probably a previous condition, as in the case of our latest dog (We think the previous owner lied about the dog's health on the hand-over form, as the dog had no health cover.)

We and others we have advised (for want of a better word) have found the best catharsis for losing an animal is to adopt one from a shelter. I apologise for being a bit preachy about this, but I do hope people in a loss situation will consider re-homing. It is a great aid to grief knowing you are given an often stressed and perhaps condemned animal a chance of a good life. I don't know what the situation is over there, but if one requires a particular pedigree or breed here (UK) there are many breed-specific rescue organisations to approach. (My eldest daughter is lead behaviourist for a Greyhound trust)

Indeed, at the Dog's Trust were my eldest son works, they often have high value dogs handed in, recently 6no. French Bulldog pups seized from an illegal import.

We face a decision tomorrow that the dog we have had nearly all of her 15 years will have to be euthanised due to sudden deterioration in quality of life and subsequent distress.
Posted By: Deacon211

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/25/17 10:31 AM

Very sorry to hear this Force. I have two five year olds and I hate to think of the day that they will leave our family. I just try to keep in mind the good life that they have and the love we give them, and they us.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/25/17 04:26 PM

Wow...I didn't expect this many responses! When I created the thread, I sent it to my wife and daughter and they sent it to a couple friends.
It's nice for people that have never been to SimHQ before to see what a truly awesome community we have here!

Thanks again for all the condolences!

wink
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/25/17 05:15 PM

I look at my three dogs and think of how much longer I can expect to have them around and I tear up at times.

My condolences to you and your family.
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/25/17 05:56 PM

Putting your dog down is a very difficult decision. We had to put down our Boxer Hagler, a few years back. I was so sad for like 2 days afterwards. I was married for 15 yrs, my wife never saw me cry. I balwed that day. we both did.
But after the saddness starts to subside, you remember the many years, days of laughs and smiles they gave you. It is so worth it.
One of our Boxers, Tank now is 9, and that is old in Boxer lives. He is totally blind. But he is just as happy and content as he was when he could see. Sweet dog, this one is really gona hurt. He's a 125 lb softie.
Posted By: semmern

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/25/17 10:57 PM

Force, I feel your pain! Hardest thing I ever did, putting my buddy Tommy down five years ago. Every dog will have a special place in your heart, but after a while life gets lonely without one.

We have had our dog Wilma now for a year. We love her to bits.

[Linked Image]

One of my favourite poems, by Lord Byron. He wrote this about his dog after it passed away:

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.

This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
Boatswain, a Dog
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead Nov. 18th, 1808

When some proud Son of Man returns to Earth,
Unknown to Glory, but upheld by Birth,
The sculptor’s art exhausts the pomp of woe,
And storied urns record who rests below.
When all is done, upon the Tomb is seen,
Not what he was, but what he should have been.
But the poor Dog, in life the firmest friend,
The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
Whose honest heart is still his Master’s own,
Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
Unhonoured falls, unnoticed all his worth,
Denied in heaven the Soul he held on earth –
While man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven,
And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven.

Oh man! thou feeble tenant of an hour,
Debased by slavery, or corrupt by power –
Who knows thee well, must quit thee with disgust,
Degraded mass of animated dust!
Thy love is lust, thy friendship all a cheat,
Thy tongue hypocrisy, thy heart deceit!
By nature vile, ennobled but by name,
Each kindred brute might bid thee blush for shame.
Ye, who behold perchance this simple urn,
Pass on – it honours none you wish to mourn.
To mark a friend’s remains these stones arise;
I never knew but one -- and here he lies.
Posted By: 462cid

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/25/17 11:46 PM

Fourteen years. Good innings.

"No, my dog used to gaze at me,
paying me the attention I need,
the attention required
to make a vain person like me understand
that, being a dog, he was wasting time,
but, with those eyes so much purer than mine,
he'd keep on gazing at me
with a look that reserved for me alone
all his sweet and shaggy life,
always near me, never troubling me,
and asking nothing."

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/26/17 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Force10
Wow...I didn't expect this many responses! When I created the thread, I sent it to my wife and daughter and they sent it to a couple friends.
It's nice for people that have never been to SimHQ before to see what a truly awesome community we have here!

There are some things that even Sim nuts agree on.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/26/17 05:28 AM

My condolences. Having to take that final journey is always heartbreaking.

Wheels

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/26/17 10:31 AM

I can share your grief today Force 10, and others who have expressed their feelings in this thread.

Our vets are wonderful, visiting our house just now to give Connie, our companion these past 14 years her final release in a most compassionate and dignified way, without any distress to this dear dog.

A Good Dog, (most of the time!) Excellent at agility when young, but unable to drive like your lovely Pug Force 10!

She is the fluffy one on the right:

[Linked Image]

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/26/17 01:52 PM

Wow, BD. My sympathy for your loss but happy to hear that your vet was able to do that for you in the privacy and comfort of your home.

I am glad to see that you have a good crew to help you with your sadness.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/26/17 02:06 PM

Sad to hear that. I hope the other two weather it ok. I agree, a vet willing to come to the house is pretty special. That's how we alll want to go I would think--at home with loved ones. Not so scary, easier on the family.
It still sucks though.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/26/17 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by BD-123

She is the fluffy one on the right:

Very sad to learn of your loss, BD. An empty space on that couch to match the one in your heart. Fortunately, the other two will likely do their best to fill both.
Posted By: goon

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/26/17 04:15 PM

Best thoughts to all who've lost a dog. When our Ali got too tired a few years ago it was the hardest decision to call his vet. But he died in his bed, at peace and unstressed. I can only hope for the same for myself.

Ted was his successor, 10.5 years ago now, and he must be knocking on 13 or 14. For a deerhound cross he's doing remarkably well and still fit and healthy.

[Linked Image]

@semmern I remember your posts with pictures of Tommy, and I'm glad you have a successor for him. I hope you have as many great adventures.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/26/17 09:25 PM

Our Jack perked up and took an interest when we took him to his vet, he was quite happy to visit the vet, he couldn't see and he was deaf but as soon as he smelled the vet his tail started going, He got his shots and faded away, it's the second time I've had to do that and it wasn't any easier.

A few weeks ago I got a message to let me know that my old horse had finally made his last gallop, my brother and I bought him around 1998 he was a rescue from a farm that was over run with horses and the farmer had gone bankrupt, Reilly was backed and then left in a field until we got him, he was about 3 years old, so he was about 22ish when he trotted off.

Attached picture Scan110a.jpg

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/30/17 12:09 PM

And now Millie Dog has gone too.......

[Linked Image]
She had deteriorate rapidly over the last week, walking shorter and shorter distances before fainting until she was just lying in the garden these last couple of days with no interest in food (a serious state if a Lab is off food!) So the vet has been and she slipped peacefully away in our garden that she loved in the few months she has been with us.
Poor Susan is in bits after 2 dogs going within a week.

Of course the two offspring that work with different Rescue Organisations are clamouring to fill the empty beds with deserving cases.

Sooooo...we are fostering a lurcher through Rachel's 'Forever Hounds' Trust, who needs an amputation after his owners ignored a broken leg for over a year. Seen here in a still from video at his present home in which the owner can be heard timorously declaring 'see, he can still walk'.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Chucky

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/30/17 12:24 PM

Pretty heartbreaking BD-123. Makes you want to take a bat to the owner and see how well he walks with a broken leg. I'm a cat man myself but I can't bear the mistreatment of any animal.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 04/30/17 01:44 PM

Sympathy for your additional loss, BD... and a tip of the hat for taking on a challenging foster care case.
Posted By: Blade_Meister

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 05/02/17 05:37 AM

Sorry for your loss Force. I have had 4 Greyhounds, all rescues, and I have had to put 3 of them down over the years and the other just passed away on her own.
It is so hard to make that call and so Heartbreaking once you do. I want another one so bad, it has been 2 years but my work schedule just will not allow it, so
I wait and hoping to be able to find a profession that will allow me a way to adopt again. Wishing you and your Family the best and hoping that you will have the
opportunity to be Blessed by maybe giving a Rescue of some breed a good home like you gave to Thomas. yep

S!Blade<><

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 05/02/17 07:22 AM

At my granddaughter's Communion party I got introduced to a lovely young lady that belongs to her other grandfather, I will have to get another dog soon I think!

[Linked Image]

Her teeth are sharp!
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 05/02/17 09:08 AM

Good on you Alicatt, and great pic :-P

I adopted a 7 week-old little mongrel 10 days ago. A bit of everything in her.
Loving, curious, and pretending to be brave. My wife and I, and other 4-legged companions all got instantly hooked :-)

4 days ago she suddenly fell ill, and the usual tricks with plain congee and charcoal did not register. Took her to the vet clinic.
Parvovirus...

She was scheduled for vaccination today, aaarrrgghhhh. Mother Nature really has her own nasty ways to spoil everything.

"Jumpy" is doing her best to hang on, a real fighter she is.
But she is slowly fading away, can't take any food, and under fluids drip.
I'll refrain from posting a pic at this time.

Slug

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 05/03/17 08:59 AM

Sad to hear that Slug.
Adopting/re-homing a dog is always a risk, but the rewards are worth it, even the short time she has been with you so far would of been a greater quality of life she had before.

I sincerely hope she recovers.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 05/03/17 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by BD-123
Sad to hear that Slug.
Adopting/re-homing a dog is always a risk, but the rewards are worth it, even the short time she has been with you so far would of been a greater quality of life she had before.

I sincerely hope she recovers.

Thx BD, I really hoped so too, but Jumpy decided to go "chasing butterflies" about an hour ago. I will miss her cheerful yapping away and the funny looks she gave when trying to bite that tennis ball !
She had a good home for a week I like to believe.

Cheers,
Slug

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 05/04/17 08:48 AM

Poor Jumpy. How horrible for you and yours Slug.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 10/08/17 10:03 PM

Had to put Tanks down today. We knew it was coming, but still very sad.
He was a sweet gentle giant. He will be missed greatly.
He was my wife's shadow.

[Linked Image]

Tank, I hope you can hook up with your old friend Hagler, and run around in the big backyard in the sky.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 10/08/17 11:26 PM

Dogs are the best. Losing them is always a very painful thing.

My sympathies
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 10/08/17 11:40 PM

Sorry to hear it WT. He looks like he was great dog/friend.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 10/09/17 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by LB4LB
Sorry to hear it WT. He looks like he was great dog/friend.

He was.Thank you.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 10/09/17 03:02 AM

My sincere condolences, they ARE family.
Posted By: carrick58

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 10/09/17 04:01 AM

I agree. They are family. You have my sympathies and Best wishes.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 10/09/17 05:03 AM

They are great companions, terribly missed, every time.
You have my sympathies.
Posted By: Murphy

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 10/09/17 06:49 AM

Never gets easier.
Odd how deeply they can get into us.
They must have a special private place in our hearts, where even humans aren't aloud.

My sincere condolences F-10.
Posted By: AndyB

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 10/09/17 08:18 AM

Sorry for the loss of a member of your family.

Animals give us unconditional love and our responsibility in return for that love is to always do what is right for the animal.

The last loving thing you can do (and the hardest) is to take their pain away forever.

Regards,

Andy

PS I've had my fair share of having to "doing the right thing" too.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 10/09/17 08:54 AM

Sorry to hear WT... hope in time you might find another new friend to give a great home to.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 10/09/17 12:13 PM

Sorry to hear that WT, he looks a great character.
One of the most heart-wrenching decisions in life, the 'right time' to let them go.

We have five small boxes of ashes now, (we are not bad owners, just adopted dogs with issues!) and it never gets any easier, but the rewards of companionship outweigh the anguish of loss.

Latest acquisition is a 13y/o Beddy/whippet Lurcher we were fostering, but have decided to keep. Not likely to expire due to over-exertion as one can witness here:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The three-legged job we were fostering for amputation care on full recovery has gone to a lovely family with enclosed field to run in. It was decided that no action would be taken against previous neglectful owners beyond a stern letter from the charity's solicitor.
They responded with a cheque donation that seems to have got 'lost in the post'.

Re: We had to put our dog down this weekend. - 10/09/17 03:11 PM

I hate to see we've lost more of our dogs. We do the best we can and do them the biggest favor in the end. I firmly believe dogs and cats accept when it's time and don't want to linger on unhappy. It isn't the animal way. Or maybe they're just smart and that's their own last favor to us? They trust us to take care of that.
We do the best we can while we have them and they probably live happier lives than most of us.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums