homepage

Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please.

Posted By: semmern

Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 12:20 AM

Like the thread title says, we're thinking of getting married in NY in September. Those of you who live there, what's the weather usually like that time of year?

Got a few more questions for later as well.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 12:23 AM

Congrats semmern! What made you choose NYC?
Posted By: bones

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 01:18 AM

Congrats!

We were in NYC last September. The weather was really pleasant but they were expecting a hurricane when we were there so it would go from sunny to omg, run for cover, haha.

v6,
boNes

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Congrats semmern! What made you choose NYC?

The GF has been there, and it's her favourite city. I would like to visit, and my airline flies there, so we get good rates on tickets and hotels. Getting married in Central Park looks fantastic!
Posted By: piper

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 01:42 AM

So, semmern will no longer get the "last word", eh?-)

Congrats bud!
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 01:43 AM

Don't do it!! Don't do it!! Hahahaha!!

Just kidding! Congratulations, semmern!
"A man in love is incomplete until he has married. Then he's finished."
biggrin biggrin biggrin
Posted By: W-Molders

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 02:00 AM

seriously.. dont get married.. its a 60% chance to lose... and YOU will lose.. not her.. and, women are the boss nowadays.. youll see...
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: piper
So, semmern will no longer get the "last word", eh?-)

rofl

Congratulations, semmern!

The city wouldn't be my first choice, but I can see where it might make more sense for y'all (logistics of family & friends, your convenience, etc.). It should be pleasant in September.
Posted By: Plainsman

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: semmern
Like the thread title says, we're thinking of getting married in NY in September. Those of you who live there, what's the weather usually like that time of year?

Got a few more questions for later as well.

Why in God's name would you want to get married in NYC? I went to undergrad in New York and I work there now. But I live far away in Pennsylvania. I hate New York. I hated it when I was in college. I work there only because that's where the money is. I have no other use for the place.

You live in a land of beautiful, breathtaking fjords and you want to get married in New York? The urban jungle? Why, man? Why? It's stupid expensive and overrated.

Dude, think Iceland. Get married in Iceland, if you insist on leaving Norway for the ceremony. Or pick one of the Hawaiian Islands (but not Honolulu). It's crowded. And the city has 1.2 rats for every resident, although some boroughs have more rats than others. The Bronx is terrible with the rats. Manhattan has 'em too, bro. Big motherf'ers.

But if you insist on being stubborn about it, at least make sure you get hold of the list of hotels known to have bedbug infestations. Seriously. There is a list.
Posted By: JimK

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 02:06 AM

Wait till your in your 30`s. Was 33 and the wife 30 when were Married. Still together and its
forever. Son is 20 and still at home and just lost his job. He better get a new one FAST.
Posted By: Vaderini

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 03:01 AM

20 isn't that old Jim, he probably just needs a little motivation to figure out where he wants to be in 5 years. Just go to a bar, chill out together and ask him those questions. He'll respect you more that way.

And if that doesn't work -> give him a one-way ticket to the Marine Corps wink

Edit: Oh, and Semmern, congratulations and many good years!
Posted By: Spidey

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 03:08 AM

I personally would not do it but if you want something really scenic and NY then i would recommend the lighthouse

http://piersixty.com/the-lighthouse/

I don't know what yoir budget is or how many guests you were planning. May have quite a wait time as well.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 03:31 AM

I'm thinking on the Intrepid would be a good place for a SimHQer who's also a pilot. biggrin

As for weather, daytime highs could be anywhere from 25-35C in September. September is historically past peak thunderstorm season in the northeast. It's dead in the middle of hurricane season, though.
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 05:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Plainsman

Why in God's name would you want to get married in NYC? I went to undergrad in New York and I work there now. But I live far away in Pennsylvania. I hate New York. I hated it when I was in college. I work there only because that's where the money is. I have no other use for the place.

You live in a land of beautiful, breathtaking fjords and you want to get married in New York? The urban jungle? Why, man? Why? It's stupid expensive and overrated.

This
Posted By: Dart

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 07:42 AM

Oh, I dunno, NYC can be a fun little romp for a few days.

First, pick a hotel near Grand Central Terminal...yes, it's costly, but there's a good reason for this - it's walking distance to all the cool stuff you want to see anyway (Times Square, Museum of Art, Natural History Museum, and even Central Park), and that area is pretty well patrolled by police.

As with any large city, mind where you are and keep aware of your surroundings. Central Park after dark, for example, was off our list.

Second, pick two or three things you really want to do in NYC, and do those things. For our five day getway to NYC, we wanted to see Times Square at night, dinosaurs, and Monets. We got to do all of those well, rather than rushing about and speeding through a lot of stuff. We also did a couple of things lower in priority, too, but didn't feel rushed.

Third, the best food in NYC comes from a cart being pushed by a guy. Seriously.

NYC can be expensive, but not prohibitively so if you're mindful. And it's a pretty friendly city - if you're lost, ask for directions from just about anyone that looks local. If you want reflexively rude, cross over to Newark.

Also, since you're not used to the USA, remember to tip around 15% at meals, unless it's one of those pay-at-the-counter places.

And yes, if you don't buy a super fake Rolex for twenty bucks from a guy in Times Square you're doing it wrong.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 07:59 AM

Congratulations semmern and all the best to you and your future wife cheers

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By: JimK
Wait till your in your 30`s. Was 33 and the wife 30 when were Married. Still together and its
forever. Son is 20 and still at home and just lost his job. He better get a new one FAST.

I'll be 32 in September wink

So.. not many answers to my original question, then! biggrin I guess there is a good chance the weather will be OK.

There will be eight or so of us. Small ceremony with only parents and closest friends. We'd rather do that than the big hundred-people thing.

Originally Posted By: Dart
Oh, I dunno, NYC can be a fun little romp for a few days.

First, pick a hotel near Grand Central Terminal...yes, it's costly, but there's a good reason for this - it's walking distance to all the cool stuff you want to see anyway (Times Square, Museum of Art, Natural History Museum, and even Central Park), and that area is pretty well patrolled by police.

As with any large city, mind where you are and keep aware of your surroundings. Central Park after dark, for example, was off our list.

Second, pick two or three things you really want to do in NYC, and do those things. For our five day getway to NYC, we wanted to see Times Square at night, dinosaurs, and Monets. We got to do all of those well, rather than rushing about and speeding through a lot of stuff. We also did a couple of things lower in priority, too, but didn't feel rushed.

Third, the best food in NYC comes from a cart being pushed by a guy. Seriously.

NYC can be expensive, but not prohibitively so if you're mindful. And it's a pretty friendly city - if you're lost, ask for directions from just about anyone that looks local. If you want reflexively rude, cross over to Newark.

Also, since you're not used to the USA, remember to tip around 15% at meals, unless it's one of those pay-at-the-counter places.

And yes, if you don't buy a super fake Rolex for twenty bucks from a guy in Times Square you're doing it wrong.

Good post, Dart. Thanks. I have been to the US a couple of times, and am well aware of the tipping practices.
We will pick out some things to see, and the Intrepid will be among them wink

Fake watch, I dunno, I like the real ones biggrin

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 11:54 AM

Where will the honeymoon be? Maybe the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum? biggrin
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 01:00 PM

I married a large country girl to keep me warm on cold winter nights

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Haggart
Aren't they all large in Texas? biggrin
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 01:58 PM

Texas? I thought he meant Montana. Where she will cook rabbits, and he can travel between states with no papers.

I was 25 when I got married, we'd already been together 3 years.

It's not really the age that matters so much, it's more a matter of knowing them. Sorry, you just can't really know someone in under a year, and IMO that's the reason so many marriages fail. If it's been 6 months you're both still on "best behavior mode" and not showing the other all your warts and flaws.

If you walk into a marriage blind, thinking it will all work out, you are WRONG.

Marriage codifies what already exists between you, it doesn't create some magic cement to bind you. I watched my sister do that, thinking that getting married would solve their troubles and make life worry-free for them. Surprise, surprise, things got worse. Divorced in like 2 years.

That said, I got married in a Hilton in Fort Lauderdale. Nothing particularly special, really, as we already lived there. smile Took my first cruise for the honeymoon, though, so that was special.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: axman

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 02:53 PM

To answer the original question, New York can be gorgeous weather-wise in September, but there's still the chance of a streak of brutal hot weather to trudge through. The edge of the summer heat, though, is gone by mid-September.

I actually prefer October, as by then it's decidedly cooler, but not as rainy as November can be.

I go married in NY in October. Perfect Day, Great Wedding..... the marriage... not so much! biggrin
Posted By: U-96

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 09:46 PM

Well as an on/off wedding photographer, I've seen a few more weddings from the outside than the average. And I would say...

1. You don't just get married for yourself. It's two families joining. Celebrate that or look selfish.
2. If you aren't a princess don't get married in a castle. Life lesson there. Marriage isn't fantasy, it's as real as it gets.
3. Be true to yourselves. This may override point #1 and #2

Here endeth the lesson.

biggrin
Posted By: shan2

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/21/17 11:17 PM

Congrats, semmern! thumbsup

Nice to hear some good news. Your families are coming to America for the wedding?

edit:

You may find this link useful...

http://nymag.com/weddings/listings/locations/index5.html

(A wedding at the Museum of Natural History would be EPIC! You must get your photo taken under the famous allosaurus vs brontosaurs fossils....)
Posted By: Plainsman

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/22/17 03:25 AM

Oh, I dunno, NYC can be a fun little romp for a few days. NYC can be expensive, but not prohibitively so if you're mindful. And it's a pretty friendly city - if you're lost, ask for directions from just about anyone that looks local.

What does a "local" look like? New York is one of the most racially, ethnically, religiously diverse cities in the world. Anyone in New York could be "local" except taxi drivers. They are all transplants from other countries.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/22/17 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Plainsman
Oh, I dunno, NYC can be a fun little romp for a few days. NYC can be expensive, but not prohibitively so if you're mindful. And it's a pretty friendly city - if you're lost, ask for directions from just about anyone that looks local.

What does a "local" look like? New York is one of the most racially, ethnically, religiously diverse cities in the world. Anyone in New York could be "local" except taxi drivers. They are all transplants from other countries.

Someone who "looks" local is one who looks like they know where they're going and what they're doing, IE not a tourist. A cop for instance would "look" local as would a taxi driver or a doorman or store owner etc. No one made it about race or ethnicity but you.
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/22/17 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Haggart
Aren't they all large in Texas? biggrin

hehe, ok I'll give you that one
Posted By: knightgames

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/22/17 05:52 AM

September 2017? Are there venues still available that are in your price range and esthetic? Many places book weddings 18 months to sometimes 2 years in advance.

As far as weather? Early September should still be warm with temps in the high 60s to even 80 degrees F. Later September may have storms and obviously cooler temps. It's too early to enjoy the fall leaves though. Weather shouldn't be a problem. Storms can happen anywhere but generally NYC will still be pleasant through September.

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/22/17 11:48 AM

Sounds good,

There will only be eight of us, so we dont't need a big venue, just a small ceremony and a restaurant for the dinner afterwards. Then the families will fly home, and we will probably stay in the US for our honeymoon.
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/23/17 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dart

NYC'ers friendly?? dizzy Both NYC'ers and Jerseyites are reflexively rude IMO.

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/23/17 11:50 AM

IMHO, they are not rude. They are just very direct and aren't afraid to speak their mind. smile
Posted By: Spidey

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/23/17 01:44 PM

Direct all of the time but rude most of the time.
Think Jersey is worse than NY
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 02/26/17 02:14 AM

Congrats, Semmern. thumbsup

Since you got other unsolicited marital advice, here's mine...

Never, ever stop dating her.

Good luck.

Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. - 03/05/17 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by MarkG
Congrats, Semmern. thumbsup

Since you got other unsolicited marital advice, here's mine...

Never, ever stop dating her.

Good luck.

That is a good one, and it has been my plan for quite some time smile
© 2024 SimHQ Forums