homepage

The Steam Winter's Sale is on

Posted By: Bib4Tuna

The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/22/16 06:13 PM

....aannnnd.... there is nothing I think I will be buying this time around.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/22/16 06:18 PM

Me either. Everything I want I currently own. My most recent purchases are Deus Ex: MD and F1 2016.
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/22/16 06:20 PM

Maybe a couple of Rocksmith songs.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/22/16 06:32 PM

Scared to look. Maybe I can restrict myself to my wish list. LOL
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/22/16 07:15 PM

I can't think of anything I want. But then again I am limited with my PC specs. Even so, there is nothing that I want anyway.
Posted By: the soupdragon

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Me either. Everything I want I currently own. My most recent purchases are Deus Ex: MD and F1 2016.

Hey PM I am thinking of buying Deus EX: MD What do you think of it? is it any good?

Cheers
SD
Posted By: Aeronautico

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 12:33 AM

First time in years I am not buying a single thing. Ia m a compulsive buyer: I play 1% of what I buy. At least though, I must buy cheap and discounts are not what I want and used to be. I foresee a nose-dive in the commercial value of the industry, as it is happening of late with major AAA titles: we have bought too much and one single game takes months and months to be played, we're over-saturated!
Posted By: Clydewinder

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 01:02 AM

i don't have time to play the crap i already have

always end up playing GalCiv 3 or Mechwarrior Online anyway
Posted By: kludger

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 01:09 AM

I checked my wishlist and most of the stuff on it doesn't seem to be on sale, good news for my wallet biggrin
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
Maybe a couple of Rocksmith songs.

I spent about $30 on RS songs during the last sale a few weeks ago. Black Friday I think. I'm going to browse around for more, but I already have around 200ish songs. Once in awhile I'll see one that escaped me before...lol.

Other than that, I might look at more Assassin's Creed. I bought AC4 Black Flag during the last sale, first AC I've ever played and I'm digging it.
Posted By: DM

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 10:18 AM

There's about 4 of my 8-item long wishlist on sale there smile guess I will be spending Christmas watching my crappy download speed progress bar biggrin

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: the soupdragon

Hey PM I am thinking of buying Deus EX: MD What do you think of it? is it any good?

Cheers
SD
I've been enjoying it so far. It plays almost identical to the previous Deus Ex title but one big difference are the praxis upgrades/enhancements. It's a bit more in-depth. You also need a high end PC to be able to play this in all of its graphical glory. smile
Posted By: FlyingToaster

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 12:05 PM

Command is 65% off. Damn that's tempting.
Posted By: BlueHeron

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 04:35 PM

Definitely have stuff on my list that I would get if the prices is right. Too bad the Steam website is offline...!!

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 04:36 PM

GOG and Origin are having sales too now.

https://www.gog.com/

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/deals/holidaysale

Nice price on Battlefront. I would love it for the visuals and sounds, but I know I would not be a fit for the gameplay.

EA has said that Battlefront II will have a single player campaign. Hopefully more substantial than the one in Battlefield I.

Also...if you are not weary of returns, You can get DOOM for $17.09 in GreenManGaming with their extra 10% discount code WINTER10. I just mention it because DOOM is definitively my game of the year.

EDIT: Oh...and ED is having a DCS sale too....FWTW.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 04:40 PM

I was really impressed with the new Doom. It exceeded my expectations.
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 04:55 PM

For anyone who's liked the "Commando" games (gameplay wise), keep your eyes open for "Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun".
Posted By: - Ice

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 05:22 PM

Can't access Steam... go figure.
Posted By: Laniakea_aka_Jeff

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 05:23 PM

All of Steam's down at the moment. No ETA on return
Posted By: Chucky

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 05:28 PM

Ah.I was wondering what was up.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 05:37 PM

They're getting slammed.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 05:47 PM

Sigh. You'd think by now that Valve would have sorted this out. Steam has been around now for over 10 years.
Posted By: Andromedius

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 06:15 PM

Well, yet to be officially confirmed, but it seems several ddos attacks are currently hitting hard Uplay (Ubisoft) and Steam platforms...

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 06:17 PM

What a drag.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 06:18 PM

Picked up Crysis 3 and Mass Effect 3 from Origin.Heres hoping i can download them when I get home from work tonight.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 06:22 PM

So far, Origin is safe (sheer luck or better defenses against hackers?): just bought Titanfall2 (-50%) without any issues.

As for Steam, there you go : http://www.techworm.net/2016/12/steam-down-phantom-squad-ddos-steam-servers-bring-christmas.html

Guess this is the world we live in, now...

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 06:28 PM

I will bet....no.

They are not offering any proof of this DDOS attack. And asking for retweets to restore servers? Riiiight.

Oh look! The a-holes account got suspended....wonder why?

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: WangoTango
Picked up Crysis 3 and Mass Effect 3 from Origin.Heres hoping i can download them when I get home from work tonight.
I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Mass Effect game. It will be interesting to see what it is like with no more Shepard.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna

I will bet....no.

They are not offering any proof of this DDOS attack. And asking for retweets to restore servers? Riiiight.

Oh look! The a-holes account got suspended....wonder why?

I hope you're right.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: WangoTango
I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Mass Effect game. It will be interesting to see what it is like with no more Shepard.

Did you see the Gaming Awards footage? Mass Effect: Inquisition

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 06:35 PM

Wow, that footage looks great!!

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 06:43 PM

Steam is back (mostly, MP servers still down).
Posted By: DaBBQ

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/23/16 08:23 PM

I don't think that turian at 1:44 is going to keep his job much longer.
Posted By: U-96

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/24/16 12:24 AM

I went for the strategy of buying the five cheapest things on my wishlist.

I have to say, Blood and Bacon is the most brilliant thing I've played in ages. It's like the Evil Dead of computer games in that it knows it's taking the p*ss out the whole genre, but by design or accident, is surprisingly good.
Posted By: Coot

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/24/16 12:44 AM

I agree with Jayhawk, keep an eye on Shadow Tactics. Its getting really good reviews and they have put a demo out which I'm enjoying.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/24/16 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Scared to look. Maybe I can restrict myself to my wish list. LOL

Originally Posted By: kludger
I checked my wishlist and most of the stuff on it doesn't seem to be on sale, good news for my wallet biggrin

Unfortunately for me, I had a lot and most sounded really good.
Dammit. They got me again.

Spintires
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
Metro Redux Bundle
Fable Anniversary
Homefront: The Revolution
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

If Shadow Tactics plays like Hard West, the Western TBS game, I'll end up with it. Hard West is a lot of fun.
Posted By: saghen

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/24/16 04:30 AM

Has anybody seen any prices lower than the Fall/Thanksgiving sale? Seems mostly the same from the items I've looked at.

I miss the flash sales.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/24/16 10:19 AM

Nothing in the winter sale but saw IL-2 Cliffs of Dover fro 5 bucks gonna grab that new patches makes it pretty good
Posted By: BlueHeron

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/25/16 04:58 PM

Far Cry 4. I'll get bored quickly since I'm spoiled by flight sims, but at $20 it's a fine guilty pleasure.
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/25/16 07:23 PM

I want DCS Mirage 2000, but that is not on Steam. Maybe it will be cheaper in the summer to.
Posted By: rezerekted

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/26/16 12:44 PM

I bought the Gazelle for DCS but it is no fun to fly so requested a refund, think I will get IL2 Stalingrad instead.
Posted By: Warbirds

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/27/16 11:20 AM

Project Cars with all DLC for 20 some bucks was a no brainer. I am not a racing guy but this game/sim can be setup to give even a really bad virtual racer like me a fighting chance to still have some fun. Runs great with settings mostly flat out with a single GTX 1080 at 2k. Beautiful graphics, tons of cars and tracks. I am sure it is not super realistic, especially the way I have it setup, but it is a heck of a lot of fun.
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/27/16 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Flogger23m
I want DCS Mirage 2000, but that is not on Steam. Maybe it will be cheaper in the summer to.

The Mirage is a very, very fun AC to fly. You'll love it.

yep
Posted By: rezerekted

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/27/16 11:30 AM

Was thinking of getting Project Cars and did check out the demo but I am dedicated to Assetto Corsa now so don't want to switch between two similar games when it is best to stick to one if you want to get good.

Steam refused my refund on the gazelle for DCS because I was in game more than 2 hours so am stuck with it now.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/27/16 11:58 AM

I picked up Dishonored 2. I'll start it after I finish Deus Ex MD.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/28/16 02:14 PM

This is the first Steam sale in ages that drained a huge chunk of my bank account, but I just pulled the trigger on a HTC Vive so that explains a lot.

Picked up:
theBlu
Vanishing Realms
Fruit Ninja VR
The Lab (free)
The Brookhaven Experiment
Virtual Desktop
Tilt Brush
Space Pirate Trainer

I should also have Zombie Training Simulator and The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed once I figure out how to claim these games from Vive.

Anyone else have good VR games they'd like to recommend? I already have Elite Dangerous, DCS, Falcon 4 BMS, and Project Cars, but these games need my simpit to work properly and at the moment, I've just set up the Vive in the living room.
Posted By: Suicidal_6

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/28/16 04:42 PM

Picked up Squad.
Posted By: kludger

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/28/16 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: - Ice

Anyone else have good VR games they'd like to recommend? I already have Elite Dangerous, DCS, Falcon 4 BMS, and Project Cars, but these games need my simpit to work properly and at the moment, I've just set up the Vive in the living room.

Congrats on picking up the the Vive thumbsup

A couple of my favorite non-sim VR things I don't see on your list:
Google Earth VR http://store.steampowered.com/app/348250/
Pinball FX2 VR http://store.steampowered.com/app/547590

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/28/16 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: - Ice

I don't have a VR headset, but I do have Subnautica which has its own VR version. I'd bet it makes a great VR game.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/28/16 05:47 PM

Thanks for that! Grabbed Google Earth but yet to try it. I'd grab Subnautica as well but the game description isn't capturing me very much. Maybe if I don't get anything else and the Steam sale is about to close, I'd grab it.

I'm thinking of getting Arizona Sunshine as an "alternative" zombie shooter but not too sold on it to buy it on full price. There's also EVE Valkyrie or House of the Dying Sun but neither supports HOTAS and wants me to use controllers instead --- I'm not very good with controllers...

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/28/16 06:41 PM

Subnautica is very good and is one of the best early access games. Once you learn the basics it becomes of very fun survival/exploration game and its not complete yet.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/28/16 07:10 PM

I picked up Dishonored 2. I'll start it after I finish Deus Ex MD.

Dishnored 2 is the title I really want. Deus Ex started slow and was not as good as Human Revolution, but still an excellent game.

Was thinking of Squad but I think the game will be too serious for me. Seems like comms/mics are a must and it is very much squad play focused. I like my MP games like Red Orchestra, with a bit more realism than Battlefield but not too involving. Something I can jump in for an hour or so.
Posted By: PFunk

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/28/16 07:58 PM

Have you ever seen so many things you didn't want for so little?

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/28/16 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: PFunk
Have you ever seen so many things you didn't want for so little?
I think the problem for a lot of people is simply having a huge backlog of games to play so there's no real rush to get new games even if they are on sale.
Posted By: PFunk

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/28/16 10:11 PM

Yeah, I know. I broke down & got some DLCs for Project CARS and the old Tie Fighter game.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 12/28/16 10:32 PM

I am debating if I should get the Just Cause 3 DLC. I actually enjoyed the game a good bit, but the DLC seems to be medicore and only offer around 6 hours of similar been there done that, but the price is almost what I paid for the base game.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/02/17 06:22 PM

And it's over! I think this is the first Steam sale in a long time that I've purchased a serious number of games, but this was primarily due to the purchase of an HTC Vive as well. Can't let the hardware sit unused!! biggrin

So here's a list of my final haul:
theBlu
Vanishing Realms
Fruit Ninja VR
The Lab (free)
The Brookhaven Experiment
Virtual Desktop
Tilt Brush
Space Pirate Trainer
Google Earth VR (free)
Subnautica
The Solus Project
Audioshield
Final Approach
Breach & Clear Collection (non VR)
The Final Station (non VR)
The VR Museum of Fine Art (free)
Waltz of the Wizard (free)

I think that should be enough to keep me occupied until the next Steam sale! biggrin
Thanks to everyone that suggested more games to try!
Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/02/17 08:02 PM

I didn't go too mad but still spent more than I should have.
My final tally.

Adr1ft (VR)
Subnautica (VR)
Walking Dead: Michonne (only one I hadn't played and was cheap)
Walking Dead: A new Frontier (Been waiting for it)
Jalopy (Looks interesting)
IL-2 1946 (Only owned up to Pacific Fighters on CD)
IL-2 Cliffs of Dover (Cheap)

Non Steam sale
A2A L-049 Connie for P3D
Posted By: bailout

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/02/17 08:02 PM

Since buying Elite Dangerous last year I have only bought one game, Farming Simulator 15, but never got round to playing it as I always just started up ED instead.

The ED addiction hasn't gone entirely but it has subsided to a level that I may occasionally play something else so I bought these in the sale;

Kerbal Space Program
Dishonoured (the first one, not 2)
The Long Dark
Risen Bundle.

Played a bit of TLD already and enjoying something different from ED.
Posted By: Clydewinder

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/02/17 08:31 PM

Picked up:

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Endless Space DLC
Battlefleet Gothic Armada
Arma 3 Apex

no regrets, all good so far. Tried out some multiplay on Battlefleet last night and it was a lot of fun.

I did have the Elite DLC in and out of my Cart a few times but in the end decided I would hold off on that one

Same with "Stellaris" - I think I'll wait for the $15.00 price on that or the GOTY edition
Posted By: DaBBQ

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/02/17 11:29 PM

Ori and Arkham Knight are the only titles I've picked up this sale.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/02/17 11:41 PM

I meant to pick up The Long Dark.Ah well,next time perhaps.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/03/17 03:33 AM

Though I've had it since its early access release I have only just now have gotten really sucked into The Long Dark. Its very good Chucky. Its been updated a lot since last I played and I can't wait for the story mode. Ori is also a beautiful game but I'm stuck.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/03/17 08:58 AM

Been playing Skyrim SE since Christmas, enjoying it hugely.
A game so good they released it twice smile

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/03/17 11:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Coot
Though I've had it since its early access release I have only just now have gotten really sucked into The Long Dark. Its very good Chucky. Its been updated a lot since last I played and I can't wait for the story mode. Ori is also a beautiful game but I'm stuck.

I heard it just got a large update and was meaning to ask you what you thought of it.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/03/17 11:22 AM

Missed Cliffs Of Dover for $5 but grabbed it at $10..Still fair price,,got the TF patch in and flies sweet,,Got to start learning it

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/03/17 11:43 AM

Dishonored 2 is really good so far. The animation is not so comic book stylized like the first game and the AI is pretty damn smart.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/03/17 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: rwatson
Missed Cliffs Of Dover for $5 but grabbed it at $10..Still fair price,,got the TF patch in and flies sweet,,Got to start learning it
I really tried to like COD but I only have so much patience.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/03/17 04:35 PM

PM
You might want to revisit CLOD...With the team Fusion patch it is indeed a different sim,,I bought it when it first came out and junked it But now I've found a gem well worth the investment!!

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/03/17 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: rwatson
PM
You might want to revisit CLOD...With the team Fusion patch it is indeed a different sim,,I bought it when it first came out and junked it But now I've found a gem well worth the investment!!

Does the Team Fusion mod make changes to the single player campaigns or is it mostly a multiplayer mod? I'll definitely look into it.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/03/17 06:26 PM

The only thing I got was the complete latest Hitman release. I do not agree with chapter release on full priced games, and always wanted to check it out once all chapters were released.

I am happy to report that the game is definitively back to it's original form. Very challenging.

Took about 2.5 hours between the prologue and finishing chapter one. Best of all, there are so many alternative ways to complete the tasks, it feels I can get a lot of replayability out of this.

And it looks amazing to boot.

Re: The Steam Winter's Sale is on - 01/03/17 06:56 PM

I got Hitman too and I'm really enjoying it. Clearly very replayable as well with all of the options you have. A good help system to get you going and then you can turn it off.
At first, I looked at the review, which was poorly received or something like that. Then I looked at the negative reviews and they players all had 30-60 hours in the game. LOL
They were all whining about some DRM crap or something but clearly love the game. Glad I got it. I hope they continue to release, what I've played so far has been a lot of fun.

I also got Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. It's a different type of stealth game. I'm not sure what to compare it to, it's pretty unique. Very good so far.
One more stealth title, Shadwen, but haven't gotten to try it yet.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums