homepage

World Series 2016

Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

World Series 2016 - 10/26/16 07:24 PM

Cubs are gonna have to up their game if they expect to end that 108 year drought.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/25/sport/world-series-chicago-cubs-cleveland-indians-game-1-recap/

Wheels
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/27/16 10:50 AM

I'm disgusted with baseball right now. As for the WS, I don't care who wins.
Posted By: Falstar

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/27/16 11:57 AM

Come on PM tell us how you really feel..
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/27/16 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I'm disgusted with baseball right now. As for the WS, I don't care who wins.

I hope this is not related to the planned re-branding of the Boston Red Sox into the New England Blue Gaiters? confused
neaner

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/27/16 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk

I hope this is not related to the planned re-branding of the Boston Red Sox into the New England Blue Gaiters? confused
neaner
LOL. Nope. This has everything to do with their epic choke/meltdown though.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/27/16 01:05 PM

Well the Cubs upped their game last night.
Posted By: Peally

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/27/16 01:14 PM

Question from guy who only watches baseball games when he goes to watch the Brewers lose once in a while:

Why in Jebus' name do they need to play the insane amount of games they do in baseball? An entire series? Seriously? It takes 7 games (an entire week) to figure out which team is better? Who has time for that? Drives me nuts, I assume it's just because the MLB makes more money that way. Why have the Vikings play the Patriots once when we could do it three times.

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/27/16 01:33 PM

Football is a much more punishing sport so hence the much lower number of games compared to baseball.

However, I do agree that 162 games for the regular season is way too much especially when you consider the really crappy attendance that quite a few teams get. What's really sad about the Cleveland Indians who are in the World Series is that they had one of the worst home attendance rates in the entire league during the regular season. I think only Tampa Bay and Oakland had worse attendance.

Here you go,

http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/27/16 01:40 PM

LOL! I've had trouble staying awake during even one Baseball game. A whole series of those would channel my inner Rip Van Winkle. smile

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/27/16 01:49 PM

LOL! I've had trouble staying awake during even one Baseball game. A whole series of those would channel my inner Rip Van Winkle. smile

How about a televised chess match?

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/27/16 02:00 PM

How about a televised chess match?

If they include super slow-mo... wink

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/27/16 02:04 PM

If they include super slow-mo... wink

Or cheerleaders like these,

http://www.totalprosports.com/2011/01/05...es-bcs-edition/

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/27/16 02:11 PM

Those cheerleaders would spice up any televised event. Even presidential debates. smile
Posted By: rwatson

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/27/16 02:30 PM

Last time I watched baseball was when Mickey Mantle and Roger Marris were having it out haven't watched a game since..Actually only sport I watch is Buckeye's football,,,Not bad for a transplanted New England yankee who wasw a Uconn fan

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/27/16 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: rwatson
Last time I watched baseball was when Mickey Mantle and Roger Marris were having it out haven't watched a game since..

Wow, so since 1961? biggrin

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/28/16 05:23 AM

Baseball to chess to cheerleaders and back to baseball. biggrin

Wheels
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/29/16 11:57 AM

saw a cute cartoon the other day...wish I could find a copy.............basically two devils in overcoats with icicles hanging off their horns in a frozen underworld saying............"holy crap the Cubs AND the Indians made the world series "
Posted By: W-Molders

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/30/16 04:13 AM

outlaw all sports until we get our country back on track...

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/30/16 04:30 AM

I'm assuming the Cubs are going to lose big, especially considering how all the extremely one sided coverage is all about how amazing it is that they made it and might win. They're certainly on their way so far, way to jinx it media dudes.

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/30/16 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By: W-Molders

Go home, you're drunk.

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/30/16 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: W-Molders
Get a life dude.

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/30/16 03:06 PM

The Romans had their games when it all began going downhill. The more it went downhill, the bigger the games.

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/30/16 04:47 PM

There were plenty of games and other celebrations durIng the Roman Republic too. There's no definitive correlation.
Posted By: Meatsheild

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/30/16 05:20 PM

either way they should be stopped from calling it "world series" when only US teams are allowed to play screwy

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/30/16 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Meatsheild
either way they should be stopped from calling it "world series" when only US teams are allowed to play screwy
Hey, there's one Canadian team!!!
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/30/16 08:39 PM

Not a fan of the Indians, they just destroyed the Tigers this year, but I got to tip my hat to them. The story seemed to be mostly all about the Cubs, while the Indians are just plowing right thru them. They had better finish tonight, winter's coming. biggrin
Posted By: knightgames

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/31/16 01:50 AM

Rooting for Terry "Tito" Francona. 3 World Series titles will completely ensure enshrinement in the Hall of Fame. To have it happen against Lackey, one of the fools that got him fired, and at the expense of the Red Sox, who revealed personal and private information after he was let go, is just rewards. SWEET rewards.

Go Indians

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/31/16 01:26 PM

Common complaint, but not necessarily valid. Things like the minor league exist for teams to grow into top tier organizations around the globe, and when someone in (for example) Japan wants to play in the highest form of professional league they'll join an MLB team for their chance at the world series. Just because there isn't a 100% Japanese team competing doesn't mean there aren't melting pot rosters wink

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/31/16 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Peally

Common complaint, but not necessarily valid. Things like the minor league exist for teams to grow into top tier organizations around the globe, and when someone in (for example) Japan wants to play in the highest form of professional league they'll join an MLB team for their chance at the world series. Just because there isn't a 100% Japanese team competing doesn't mean there aren't melting pot rosters wink

That's an excellent point. Heck, about half of the Miami Marlins roster isn't US born.

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/31/16 01:54 PM

Hey, there's one Canadian team!!!

And they have won the Series twice.

Re: World Series 2016 - 10/31/16 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: KraziKanuK

And they have won the Series twice.

And how many did the Expos win? wink
Posted By: bones

Re: World Series 2016 - 11/03/16 05:25 AM

The 108 year whining fest is over!!!!

CUBS WIN THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!

v6,
boNes
Posted By: Snap

Re: World Series 2016 - 11/03/16 06:40 AM

There goes another bucket list item. Sweet.

Re: World Series 2016 - 11/03/16 11:07 AM

Wow, the Cubs finally broke their curse several years after the Red Sox broke theirs. smile

Re: World Series 2016 - 11/03/16 11:29 AM

Just saw a pig fly by my window this morning. whenpigsfly

Re: World Series 2016 - 11/03/16 02:11 PM

At least the Yankees didn't go to the playoffs so that's my sole consolation.

Re: World Series 2016 - 11/03/16 02:12 PM

Wow, the Cubs finally broke their curse several years after the Red Sox broke theirs. smile

"Curses" are just excuses for sucking ass wink

Re: World Series 2016 - 11/03/16 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Peally

"Curses" are just excuses for sucking ass wink

Ahem, I believe the Red Sox have won more World Series titles than the Brewers. wink

Re: World Series 2016 - 11/03/16 02:26 PM

The Brewers royally suck ass, what's your point biggrin

Re: World Series 2016 - 11/03/16 02:36 PM

Boston has won 8 times but only 6 times as the Red Sox.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: World Series 2016 - 11/03/16 06:47 PM

I don't watch baseball... never had, too slow and boring for me. But did watch from the 7th last night, was a good game... but still, I think we need a play clock, you got 15 seconds to throw the ball once a batter steps up into the batter box... too slow between pitches damn it. wink
Posted By: Wklink

Re: World Series 2016 - 11/04/16 11:38 AM

Life long Cubs fan. Used to go to Wrigley with my dad as a kid. Used to watch them on the Tele when we could get WGN, first with Jack Brickhouse and later with Harry Carey as announcers.

I agree with others that jinxes are just excuses although there has been some bad luck or bad events that have prevented this team from going to the World Series. Still, for a team with the history of Chicago the number of times that the team was in position to go to the playoffs was pathetic. Prior to 1945 the Cubs were almost always in the Pennant race, even if they didn't win the World Series. After the 1945 World Series loss the Cubs managed only three winning seasons before the beginning of the playoff series in 1969. From that point until 2011 when Tom Ricketts bought the team the Cubs made the playoffs only six times, and the NLCS only thrice. Three of those trips happened from 2003-2008 after Wrigley sold the team to the Tribune organization and when the Cubs briefly tried the Yankee approach of buying their way into contention.

This team is a perfect example of how you have to have competent ownership dedicated to creating an excellent product. This team was no accident, it was the brainchild of Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer, the minds behind the Red Sox revival in the prior decade. The whole team was revamped, only two players from the 2011 team were on the 2016 team. The leadership drafted young, talented players and repeatedly guessed right on who would bring the biggest benefit to the team. Epstein will go tot he Hall of Fame for this.

The worst part of the past history of this team was the waiting that so many of my family members went through to actually see this team win. I pointed this out to someone that wondered why I was so emotional about this win. I usually don't get emotional over sports teams or games but the Cubs were different. My mom died watching the Cubs hoping to see a World Series winner. So did my grandparents, my great grandparents, multiple aunts and uncles and great aunts and uncles. We would all watch these games, cheering for the team knowing that they would be out of the pennant race sometime in June. I actually felt guilty for turning my son into a Cubs fan.

I am as relieved as I am happy that FINALLY someone competent took over that team and turned them into a winner.

Re: World Series 2016 - 11/08/16 02:50 AM

The slightly sadistic part of me wanted to see the Indians win but the fact that the Cubs won makes me happy for you Wklink.
Maybe the Indians can win it next year and then hopefully neither team will have the same type of extended drought between World Series wins.

Wheels
© 2024 SimHQ Forums