homepage

TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - UPDATE Issue resolved

Posted By: RacerGT

TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - UPDATE Issue resolved - 10/26/16 12:59 PM

Doug is closing down the TeamSpeak server on November 25th that SimHQ members have been using for the past couple of years. If someone is willing to setup/administer/manage a new one for SimHQ please contact me.

thanks!

Brooks
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/26/16 01:22 PM

frown
Posted By: Master

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/26/16 05:46 PM

Sorry to see the server go. I dont use it a lot but I do use it every now and then.

Might also be a good time to plug that discord thing again. It's a chat program but also has rudimentary voice functionality. Anyone can set up their own "server" for free or join the simhq one we already have set up.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4299770/
Posted By: Peally

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/26/16 05:49 PM

An official Discord server would make a whole lot of sense. TS plugins won't work but you can't win em all.
Posted By: Linebacker

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/27/16 02:03 AM

Ya, Discord sounds good to me too. I joined Master’s SimHQ channel a while ago but haven’t really used Discord since. I’ll be happy to though since it seems like more of a “gathering place” than Teamspeak since it has persistent chat channels and whatnot.

I also checked out the Discord Android app today ... seems pretty cool!
Posted By: kludger

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/27/16 06:28 AM

Sorry to hear about the TS channel, big thanks to Doug for keeping the lights on even after he sold the site, I think it will be a big miss for the multiplayer events and community.

@RacerGT can you tell us anything about the long term strategy for SimHQ?

Are you planning to upgrade the site for mobile or tweak the annoying popup ads that block the posting screen?

The site's lack of compatibility with mobile and inability to be used without ad blocking software is probably a big cause of the decay in activity in postings and articles the last year or more. I know I can no longer use the site when on the go with my phone or tablet or away from my PC due to those two reasons, so instead of reading and posting all day as I used to for all these years, I now can only read on the weekends or slow evenings when I get to sit at my PC.

I think unless something is done, the SimHQ we have all loved and enjoyed for so many years is just going to continue to decay and die, which is a really sad thing for all of us.

Thanks in advance for any info on the future of the site.

The Discord chat works great, thanks to @Master for setting that up and keeping it going.
Posted By: MojoFlow

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/27/16 03:46 PM

Hopefully something can happen to keep a TS server running here.

Would also be curious about any long term strategy for the site or is it basically in a 'keep the lights on' mode for the foreseeable future.

Cheers!

MojoFlow
Posted By: Nixer

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/27/16 04:34 PM

Thanks Doug. Haven't used it in years but was awesome when I did.

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/27/16 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: MojoFlow

Would also be curious about any long term strategy for the site or is it basically in a 'keep the lights on' mode for the foreseeable future.

Hear, hear! I would as well. smile

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/27/16 04:39 PM

looks like we have a plan to bring up another server....

The UBB software the board runs on should be updated soon to be responsive, if not migration to another platform would be quite the project....

looking for a couple of paid writer positions for the main blog page, more on later this month....

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/27/16 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: kludger
big thanks to Doug for keeping the lights on even after he sold the site,

Absolutely. Doug is a good guy. smile
Posted By: kludger

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/28/16 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: RacerGT
looks like we have a plan to bring up another server....

The UBB software the board runs on should be updated soon to be responsive, if not migration to another platform would be quite the project....

looking for a couple of paid writer positions for the main blog page, more on later this month....

Cool thanks for the update RacerGT really looking forward to a better mobile experience.

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/28/16 10:57 AM

Thanks for the update RacerGT!
Posted By: Magnum

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/28/16 11:16 AM

Quote:

Read more: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4306467#ixzz4ONRsV8ov
Follow us: @SimHQ on Twitter | SimHQ on Facebook

you don't need paid writers, that waste precious money for servers and TS... this is a huge community, many great gamers and writers in here... so that SimHQ is still alive and not dying out like I believe it is and those volunteers might help out... worked for years back under Doug's days, and working great at SimHQ Motorsports and Mudspike. I was hoping you had a plan when you bought SimHQ, especially after you let longtime volunteers leave and stop writing for SimHQ.

But this community needs to be reassured that SimHQ will still be around in 5 years or more.

I've always said, "damn I should review this for SimHQ... but then, if I did all that work how would I know the new owner would publish it, or do anything...SimHQ is already just sitting here."

decision time.

imo
Posted By: jskibo

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/28/16 11:43 AM

Why not just use a Commercial TS3 host? 50 Slot server is ~$100 a year, 100 slot about $190.

or will that not work well for what you have set up here?

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/28/16 12:58 PM

I put in a lot of resources to bring thousands of articles into the wordpress CMS, everything has been built out and ready to go for members to post articles, but the take rate was low as there was a slight resistance to change, mainly being using the new CMS instead of sending over a word doc. Wordpress is very simple and easy to use/learn.

It would be awesome to have the community members post reviews and articles in the Wordpress CMS directly and I am completely open for this. Just PM me and I will setup access, etc. I can't and just don't have time to do it all.

thanks!

Brooks

Originally Posted By: Magnum
Quote:

Read more: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4306467#ixzz4ONRsV8ov
Follow us: @SimHQ on Twitter | SimHQ on Facebook

you don't need paid writers, that waste precious money for servers and TS... this is a huge community, many great gamers and writers in here... so that SimHQ is still alive and not dying out like I believe it is and those volunteers might help out... worked for years back under Doug's days, and working great at SimHQ Motorsports and Mudspike. I was hoping you had a plan when you bought SimHQ, especially after you let longtime volunteers leave and stop writing for SimHQ.

But this community needs to be reassured that SimHQ will still be around in 5 years or more.

I've always said, "damn I should review this for SimHQ... but then, if I did all that work how would I know the new owner would publish it, or do anything...SimHQ is already just sitting here."

decision time.

imo
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/28/16 03:31 PM

Thanks for the info Racer, we all appreciate hearing what's going on.

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/28/16 04:54 PM

update on this, I signed up for an ARMA3 and TS server at fragnet, Meatsheild will be managing it....

thanks!

Brooks

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/28/16 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: RacerGT
update on this, I signed up for an ARMA3 and TS server at fragnet, Meatsheild will be managing it....

thanks!

Brooks

That's great news! Thanks to both Racer and Meatshield. smile
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 10/28/16 08:17 PM

Yep, a big thanks to both you guys! smile
Posted By: Harry-the-Ruskie

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 11/01/16 05:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Magnum
[quote]gamers and writers in here... so that SimHQ is still alive and not dying out like I believe it is and those volunteers might help out... worked for years back under Doug's days, and working great at SimHQ Motorsports and Mudspike. I was hoping you had a plan when you bought SimHQ, especially after you let longtime volunteers leave and stop writing for SimHQ.

Just for my clarification, is SimHQ Motorsports under different ownership from SimHQ ?
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 11/01/16 01:00 PM

Yes. Doug has always run SHQM.

The Jedi Master

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 11/01/16 03:59 PM

No wonder there's a different vibe there.

Doug's always been a hands-on approachable guy with a real presence in both forums and online events. I remember well my days participating on those SimHQ races until I have to give it up due to timezone differences but it became a catalyst for me getting into simracing and weekly local lan races for many years.

That was the SimHQ I enjoyed and this used to be THE place and venue for information on games and comraderie of all sorts. It's lamentable to see how many of those senior contributors we have lost, people that we know on a first name basis and who engaged regularly at the forums.

Well, you can always depend on a guy like Magnum to speak his mind with full frankness which is something of an endearing quality since we know him.

And if I may be frank here, if this place shutter itself tomorrow, I won't miss much because the SimHQ I knew and enjoyed had been dead for quite a while now.

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 11/01/16 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Harry-the-Ruskie

And if I may be frank here, if this place shutter itself tomorrow, I won't miss much because the SimHQ I knew and enjoyed had been dead for quite a while now.

I have to ask though, why are you still visiting the site if that's really how you feel?

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 11/01/16 06:11 PM

Simple. I pop in now and then for tidbits but again it's nothing I would miss if you close down tomorrow. Just to be honest, I get more info and assistance from other dedicated gaming sites and youtube.

Maybe its just force of habit to check in now and then as I have been a member since 2002 but the people whose posts who I really enjoy reading are long gone. No disrespect to you Panzer. I guess if you really want to push me for why I still poke my head in is some of the SimHQ folks I use to gamed with are still here though I can and do reach them easily enough through other means of contact, eg. Steam, e-mail, T-speak (not the SimHQ one) etc etc.

Part of me wanted to see now and then if the old vibe has returned. I don't believe it has.

I use to post frequently until a few years ago and then my posting rate and inclination to do so declined steeply. That was likely the time I lost interest in the site.

And tell me honestly, that you do not think that something is amiss because the questions and description that keeps cropping up on this thread is stuff like 'decay' 'dying' 'what is long term plan' etc etc.

And for the record, I did ask RacerGT to wipe my account and login access. That was a few months back. He read the pm and ignored it. The request is still on the cards so if he care to oblige I'll be happy to get out of your hair.

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 11/01/16 06:16 PM

Fair enough Harry and I understood your post just fine. I was just curious to know your motivations. smile
Posted By: Peally

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 11/01/16 06:50 PM

And tell me honestly, that you do not think that something is amiss because the questions and description that keeps cropping up on this thread is stuff like 'decay' 'dying' 'what is long term plan' etc etc.

That's the entire internet. It's extremely negative and people feed off of it.

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 11/01/16 07:11 PM

And for the record, I did ask RacerGT to wipe my account and login access. That was a few months back. He read the pm and ignored it. The request is still on the cards so if he care to oblige I'll be happy to get out of your hair.

You get out what you put in. Several of us play games together and there is still a lot of good info here to be read. There is also a lot of negativity but that was there before the forum switched hands. It's the just old crew lamenting on "the good old days" of how il21946 was the best sim ever etc. Nothing is good anymore etc.

But there is a lot of good games out there to play and a lot of good people here to play them with.

As for deleting your account... if you really want out just change your email to somewhere else and then change your password to some random characters and log out. Deleting an account on a forum can cause hell with the database. It should never be done except in very very very limited and specific circumstances. If you cant be grown up enough to limit yourself I dont see why anyone needs to hold your hand about it as waste their time and the stability of the forum database over it.

Just my opinion though.

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 11/01/16 07:43 PM

LOL yup OK. I'll do that but it's asking me to provide another valid e-mail to replace the old one.

[edit] oh wait. I just got what you mean now to type an e-mail to somewhere else. I forgot I can just get a 'throwaway' account from gmail. That can still be a valid account but otherwise unused..
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 11/01/16 08:45 PM

Some of the less-visited forums have posts going back years on the first page. Click in them and you'll see the names of people that make you go "Hey! Where have they been?"
Click on their profile, click show posts...and see they've not posted in 2, 4, 7 years. frown
One was Jim down in the hardware forum, he posted very regularly, then went almost a year with one final post (that said nothing about his absence or return), and then nothing since, almost 2 years now. Merely indicative of the whole as opposed to something specific.

The Jedi Master

Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down - 11/01/16 09:06 PM

LOL yup OK. I'll do that but it's asking me to provide another valid e-mail to replace the old one.

[edit] oh wait. I just got what you mean now to type an e-mail to somewhere else. I forgot I can just get a 'throwaway' account from gmail. That can still be a valid account but otherwise unused..

Yea, just make a throwaway gmail account then randomize it's password after you do the same here. No way to get the account back then.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums