homepage

Part of a UFO?

Posted By: KraziKanuK

Part of a UFO? - 10/20/16 04:20 PM

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/experts-believe-mysterious-aluminium-object-9086060

According to tests, the object is made of 12 metals, 90% aluminium, and it was dated by Romanian officials as being 250,000 years old. The initial results were later confirmed by a lab in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Other experts who conducted later tests said the dates were far alter, ranging between 400 and 80,000 years old, but even at 400 years old it would still be 200 years earlier than when aluminium was first produced.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/20/16 04:27 PM

Seems like those "experts" are watching TOO much X-Files. smile
Posted By: Peally

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/20/16 04:39 PM

Only logical explanation is aliens or Thor made it.

These people get paid actual money...
Posted By: DaBBQ

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/20/16 04:41 PM

I don't know pieces of aluminum were slamming into the ground at high speed and heat roughly 70 years ago in that area.
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/20/16 04:58 PM

Lemme see...

Quote:
Gheorghe Cohal, the Deputy Director of the Romanian Ufologists Association, told local media: "Lab tests concluded it is an old UFO fragment given that the substances it comprises cannot be combined with technology available on Earth."

Local historian Mihai Wittenberger has tried to claim that the object is actually a metal piece from a World War II German aircraft. However, this does not explain the age of the artefact.

So the ufologist has more believability than a historian?

But the biggest issue I have with it? Claiming tests results "dated" the sample. There is no inherent test to date metals (certainly not carbon dating).

The methods are more analytical than chemical: https://www.howitworksdaily.com/how-can-we-age-metal-items/

And of course...found in Romania in 1973... because we know how detailed and accurate records in Romania were in 1973.
Posted By: Warbirds

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/20/16 09:33 PM

I just heard that Scully and Mulder are on it so I can sleep tonight.
Posted By: ricnunes

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/20/16 09:56 PM

A supposed advanced Alien race which came to Earth with ships or whatever made of.....
.... Aluminium, LoL biggrin

Even we the humans, that still aren't a space faring species can build stuff with much more advanced materials than... Aluminium! How about Titanium or Composite materials?? tsktsktsk, what weak bunch of aliens!

Now how about this, my opinion is that:
This was piece of metal was actually built by Count Dracula himself! Afterall this is Romania, LoL biggrin
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/20/16 10:21 PM

The Aluminium Falcon? Crashed here on Jasoom? dizzy
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/20/16 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: ricnunes
A supposed advanced Alien race which came to Earth with ships or whatever made of.....
.... Aluminium, LoL biggrin

Even we the humans, that still aren't a space faring species can build stuff with much more advanced materials than... Aluminium! How about Titanium or Composite materials?? tsktsktsk, what weak bunch of aliens!

Now how about this, my opinion is that:
This was piece of metal was actually built by Count Dracula himself! Afterall this is Romania, LoL biggrin

LOL
All hail aluminum!

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/21/16 11:20 AM

**waiting patiently for the aluminum/aluminium flame war to begin**
Posted By: TerribleTwo

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/21/16 11:35 AM

I'd say his head is made of tin foil,
Posted By: Vitesse

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/21/16 01:55 PM

I for one await the arrival of our aluminium alloy masters.

Actually, how do you date a piece of metal?
Posted By: JG26 vonVampr

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/21/16 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Vitesse
I for one await the arrival of our aluminium alloy masters.

Actually, how do you date a piece of metal?

I dated a nice piece of metal once, but she was a cold, hard woman!
Posted By: Vitesse

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/21/16 03:39 PM

Quote:

I dated a nice piece of metal once, but she was a cold, hard woman!

I bet she got soft once you heated her up.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/21/16 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

I'm happy to change, "aluminium" is just more fun to say.
Posted By: SkateZilla

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/21/16 04:28 PM

it's clearly the foot of a landing apparatus.... shrug.. lol.

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/21/16 04:41 PM

I want to believe...

The truth is out there....

Trust no one...

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate..

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/21/16 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Independently of how anyone prefers to spell or type Al (atomic number 13) those Aliens are still pussies wink
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/21/16 08:52 PM

About the historian who suggested it's part of an aircraft, just find the type of aircraft and prove that the part fits, end of story. (was there a link to that? couldn't find one. Or if it's in the article, I skipped the type of aircraft he suggested it to be.)

If it's really from that time period, IMO it could be like the antikythera machine. We just think everyone else is stupid including our ancestors and go "ooooh! they could do that back then! They werent that stupid after all."
Posted By: Dart

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/21/16 09:51 PM

There is no way a metal object could be mixed with loose fossils in the bed of an active river.

dizzy
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/21/16 10:19 PM

Looks like a tooth from a backhoe shovel.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/22/16 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr_Blastman

That would never be made of aluminum though. Well, I am 99.9% sure of that anyway...
Posted By: PV1

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/22/16 10:05 AM

So, where does the Mirror fall in the spectrum of
Daily Mail to National Enquirer to TruFaxHonest?

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/22/16 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Zamzow

That would never be made of aluminum though. Well, I am 99.9% sure of that anyway...

Probably this was the result of the event where people realise that building backhoe shovels and its teeth from aluminum (or aluminium) wasn't a good idea afterall biggrin
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/22/16 03:21 PM

Nah, they are. Apparently they're used to reduce the risk of sparks in volatile sites to reduce the risk of fire or explosion.

I'd rather they be from Merp. I can imagine it clearly, Zerp, drowning in quicksand, desperately calls out to his saucer-buddies in some babbly tongue. Merp, out of desperation, produces an extendo-claw and nabs his friend! But in his haste, the claw teeth clang together and one rattles away. Fortunately for them, Zerp made it out alive.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/23/16 12:19 AM

Nah, they are. Apparently they're used to reduce the risk of sparks in volatile sites to reduce the risk of fire or explosion.

Strange - I read about how in some coal mines (and other environments too) how only plastic bodied flashlights are allowed because merely dropping an aluminum bodied flashlight could produce a spark and explosion.

And I still can't imagine an aluminum bucket for excavating - a LOADER bucket maybe, but not a backhoe bucket.

Maybe you could use aluminum teeth, but the bucket itself still scrapes like crazy...

But I don't claim to have "seen it all" lol!
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/23/16 01:26 AM

I blame it all on that guy from Leeds...

Al U. Minium
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/24/16 02:22 PM

Facts aren't believed. People think with every part of their bodies except their brains now.

Don't believe an expert in the field because they have an "agenda" to tell you something other than your foregone conclusion based on zero evidence. So just go with that instead.

Because being stupid is a source of pride now.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: mailman

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/25/16 10:30 AM

Hang on a god damn minute...why are aliens using aluminium to start with? Surely if their technology is all that then this should be some kind of never before seen metal with no name?

Something just isn't right here!

Mailman

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/25/16 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Facts aren't believed. People think with every part of their bodies except their brains now.

Don't believe an expert in the field because they have an "agenda" to tell you something other than your foregone conclusion based on zero evidence. So just go with that instead.

Because being stupid is a source of pride now.

The Jedi Master

Chancellor Merkel recently said that we are entering into the post-factual/ post-truth era. And I actually agree with her on that.

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/25/16 04:07 PM

If facts and truth were really important to people then things like political systems and organized religion as we currently understand them would cease to function.
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/25/16 04:34 PM

The aliens also coincidently use Iron Cross iconography wink
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/27/16 02:20 AM

I'm a bit pissed off with Mihai Wittenberger (the historian claiming it's part of the landing gear of the Messerschmitt ME 262). He should have provided more evidence and detail to settle the issue. If he did, we wouldn't be seeing this on the news.

What happened instead was he became a fodder, "Expert tried to prove otherwise". I'm still trying to find a good report detailing his findings. Either he spoke too soon and failed to follow up on his claims (which is what I'm pissed about) or the articles are blatantly ignoring his factual report (another issue).

About truths and facts... IMO they're not as absolute as you may think. Scientific facts? They can change as we make new discoveries. Social and Historical facts? Well, they've been twisted.

For this specific issue I'm having trouble finding Mihai's original report on the matter. Truths and fact IMO are what the current generation defines it to be. Sometimes you just have to make do with what's available.
Posted By: Remon

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/27/16 08:49 AM

It's an excavator tooth. It's on mirror, what do you all expect? Facts?

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/27/16 10:54 AM

The tooth! The tooth! Remember the tooth!

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/27/16 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: oselisan

About truths and facts... IMO they're not as absolute as you may think. Scientific facts? They can change as we make new discoveries. Social and Historical facts? Well, they've been twisted.

For this specific issue I'm having trouble finding Mihai's original report on the matter. Truths and fact IMO are what the current generation defines it to be. Sometimes you just have to make do with what's available.

There are absolute truths out there! For example the love that I have for my daughter or resuming the love that parents have for their child. Can this absolute truth be proved with Scientific facts? No, it can't! However it's true nonetheless.

But you're right when you say that "Social changes" sometimes (many times??) try to change some of these truths but all you'll get and end up with this is a Fuc*ed Up society and you'll only stray away further and further from the real truth (whatever that might be).

Obviously there are other kinds of "truths" that will inevitably be changed due to some advancement or breakthrough in terms of knowledge (for example Earth turns around the Sun and not otherwise or that it isn't Zeus or God that cast lightening bolts) but the problem is that nowadays it seems that the society doesn't actually want to seek the truth but instead it wants to satisfy its "inner ego" and to be noticed somehow and the main strategy to accomplish this nowadays seems to be by questioning literally everything that's previously considered truth whether if it's logical or not (a "small" example are the recent attempts to question the reality that Man landed on the Moon).
Or resuming this kind of behaviour is the "foundation" for a complete loss of Common Sense among societies. And I believe that this is the biggest illness among today's society within western world countries (but I think this could be a subject for another thread).

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/27/16 01:20 PM

"Postfactual" refers not to "absoluteness of facts" but rather to the trend to substitute even universally agreed upon facts with "emotion" or "beliefs", or cherry-pick some facts but ignoring their proper context, to fit a certain personal or public agenda...even to the - rather petty - point of being unwilling/unable to merely concede to have lost a debate.

The good thing is, in the end facts don't care whether someone "believes" in them. smile
Posted By: Dart

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/27/16 02:28 PM

My favorite trope with UFO stuff is the "unknown material" one.

Um, the periodic table of elements is universal, as in "same throughout the Universe."

Unless aliens found a way to make atoms with half a proton, there are no unknown elements that can last for more than a fraction of a millisecond.
Posted By: Remon

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/27/16 04:59 PM

I think they mostly mean unknown alloys or ceramics. Shape memory alloys, high temperature superconductors, etc etc.
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/27/16 05:33 PM

Quote:
ACCORDING TO RESEARCH THE EXACT COMPOSITION OF THE ARTIFACT IS AS FOLLOWS: ALUMINUM (89%) COPPER (6,2%), SILICON (2,84%), ZINC (1,81%), LEAD (0,41%), TIN (0,33%), ZIRCONIUM(0,2%), CADMIUM (0,11%), NICKEL (0,0024%), COBALT (0,0023%), BISMUTH (0,0003%), SILVER (0,0002%), AND GALLIUM (IN TRACE AMOUNTS).

http://www.ancient-code.com/15-things-you-should-know-about-the-aiud-aluminium-wedge/

Which is similar to the composition of duralumin.

Quote:
Duralumin (also called duraluminum, duraluminium, duralum, duralium or dural) is the trade name of one of the earliest types of age-hardenable aluminium alloys. Its use as a trade name is obsolete, and today the term is mainly used to describe aluminium–copper alloys, designated as the 2000 series by the International Alloy Designation System (IADS).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duralumin

It seems they based age on 2 factors. One, the thickness of the oxidation layer which, in a normal metal part, would mean it is around 400 years old at that thickness. However, from the duraluminium article:

Quote:
Corrosion protection
Although the addition of copper improves strength, it also makes these alloys susceptible to corrosion. For sheet products, corrosion resistance can be greatly enhanced by metallurgical bonding of a high-purity aluminium surface layer. These sheets are referred to as alclad, and are commonly used by the aircraft industry.

And I think there is where the relationship with German aircraft came from.

Two, they also state that the 200,000 age guess was based on the mastodon bones next to the part, which will mean that:

1- They do not know that by erosion, fossils can be closer near the surface, and get eventually covered again by natural occurrences like mudslides and floods.

2- If I stand long enough next to my grandpa, I become the same age as him.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/27/16 08:17 PM

The Jedi Master

Re: Part of a UFO? - 10/28/16 10:36 AM

Excellent post Bib4Tuna thumbsup
© 2024 SimHQ Forums