homepage

College football!

Posted By: Dart

College football! - 09/04/16 05:29 AM

Lots of surprises!

- Wisconsin (who I think is a fine team) beat LSU.
- Auburn scaring Clemson (who I think is over-rated) and holding them to a very tight score.
- Alabama squeaking by USC. Hahahahahahaha, ROLL TIDE ROLL. Didn't see the total blowout coming, but USC's defense spent alost the entire game on the field.

Gonna be a great season!
Posted By: MarkG

Re: College football! - 09/04/16 06:43 AM

Best thing about LSU football is when it's somewhere else, not clogging up the interstate and streets on a Friday evening before a Saturday game (early partiers and tailgaters) while I'm trying to get to my concerts on and around campus. Never fails, always a freggin' home game when I need to drive through there (this Friday night will be no exception). frown
Posted By: piper

Re: College football! - 09/04/16 01:13 PM

THE best sport! A great opening weekend.

Go Bucks!

Re: College football! - 09/04/16 02:38 PM

Is it terrible that I dislike Mississippi State solely because of their damned cowbells?

Or that I like A&M for the Corps of Cadets in Cav uniforms?

Auburn is always a contender as a spoiler team; they seem to raise to the level of their competition. As a citizen of the Adventure State, I like to see them do well in all but one game, where it's okay to shout RTR. This year the Iron Bowl is at Alabama, so the field won't be seeded with rye grass and watered to the point of making it an ice rink.

We'll be keeping an eye on Georgia this year, as it'll be interesting to see how Kirby Smart (Alabama's defensive coach last year) can build and improve their program.

I couldn't be a PAC-12 fan. I'm all about the 1980's, but can we put the day glow colored uniforms into a museum somewhere? Do they really think they're eventually going to install black lights in stadiums (I'm looking at you, Oregon)?
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: College football! - 09/04/16 04:04 PM

Did you see the USC guy do the nut step on the Bama guy? Don't these guys know the camera sees everything today. You can't get away with that anymore.

My Spartans look mediocre. I have a feeling we will have to listen to the local media around here talk about how Michigan's Jim Harbough can walk on water now each week.

I still wish they could come up with a better way to do overtime.

Re: College football! - 09/04/16 04:57 PM

All bad for the USC offense to stomp on Fitzpatrick's nuts - nothing to fire up a defense quite like a personal foul like that.

Worse is that we had one USC player showing great sportsmanship with an offered hand to help him off the ground only to be ruined by a mule kick to the family jewels by another.

The cup met the stress test, though, so no injury.

USC player was ejected and now faces suspension.

Imagine if that happened in soccer! They'd of had to call a LifeFlight helicopter to rescue him!

Re: College football! - 09/05/16 12:31 AM

And speaking of cheap shots.. LSU vs Wisconsin, final minute of game.

Yep, Les is less..
Posted By: Peally

Re: College football! - 09/05/16 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Dart
All bad for the USC offense to stomp on Fitzpatrick's nuts - nothing to fire up a defense quite like a personal foul like that.

Worse is that we had one USC player showing great sportsmanship with an offered hand to help him off the ground only to be ruined by a mule kick to the family jewels by another.

The cup met the stress test, though, so no injury.

USC player was ejected and now faces suspension.

Imagine if that happened in soccer! They'd of had to call a LifeFlight helicopter to rescue him!

Looks to me like he got a big push in the back from the dickhead Bama player.

Re: College football! - 09/05/16 02:14 AM

Peally, you're the only one who believes that.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: College football! - 09/05/16 02:31 AM

Actually, and I had not noticed that before, he may have a point. The USC players foot seemed to be moving in an arch to land on the ground and as soon as the AL player puts his hand on his back that foot then immediately changes trajectory and goes straight down.

And I'm an Alabama fan.

Re: College football! - 09/05/16 04:04 PM

They treated it like targeting - player is out for the first half of next game, which seems fair.

I know they set schedules years in advance, but Clemson's is a joke.

Re: College football! - 09/05/16 04:32 PM

That Texas vs. Notre Dame game was sure entertaining. Either ND is over rated (imagine that biggrin ) or Texas is under rated. Texas running game looks tough. Got some big bruisers there.

Re: College football! - 09/05/16 08:49 PM

A&M vs UCLA was a great game, too.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: College football! - 09/05/16 11:08 PM

A&M vs UCLA was a great game, too.

Lol, not if you were a UCLA fan. Poor guy I know just lives and dies with that team.

Wheels

Re: College football! - 09/06/16 05:50 AM

OMG, FSU vs. Ole Miss....we watched the game to see what we were facing in two weeks and were shocked at the second half.

Clemson is in big trouble with Florida State, considering they barely squeaked by Auburn.

Not to say the Tide won't have their hands full with Ole Miss - they'll take all the lessons learned to heart after that defeat, just like we did last year when they beat us!
Posted By: James McKenzie-Smith

Re: College football! - 09/06/16 06:07 AM

While I have no interest in college sport (or in spectator sport in general), one thing does pique my curiosity. How does one determine what college team to support? Does one tend to support the college one went to (or one attended by other family members etc.)? Does one tend to support colleges in one's home city or state? Are some teams just so storied that they attract supporters from outside of the state? What if one never attended college? What would spark the interest of someone with no college background? Conversely, what causes people to despise certain teams?

Please be aware that I ask with a genuine curiosity, and notwithstanding my own disinterest in the sport, I am in no way looking down on people who have this interest. À chacun son goût! To an outsider, the reasons people support given college teams do look more complex than the (more generally) geographically determination for fan bases of most pro sporting teams.

Re: College football! - 09/06/16 01:06 PM

Call it like I see it. Looks like he got pushed into the guy and now it sounds like he's getting the 3rd degree for it. Meanwhile animals like Suh (in the NFL) are very intentionally stomping on players and somehow not getting charged with assault. It's all a bit of a joke to me wink
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: College football! - 09/06/16 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: James McKenzie-Smith
How does one determine what college team to support? Does one tend to support the college one went to (or one attended by other family members etc.)? Does one tend to support colleges in one's home city or state? Are some teams just so storied that they attract supporters from outside of the state? What if one never attended college? What would spark the interest of someone with no college background? Conversely, what causes people to despise certain teams?

As a general rule, the number one factor by far is the college attended by the person or by a close family member.

For people who never attended college, I'd say the main factor is whether or not a particular college is in their home city or State.
Posted By: MarkG

Re: College football! - 09/06/16 01:33 PM

James McKenzie-Smith, I'm with you when it comes to having "no interest in college sport (or in spectator sport in general)." I do love LSU (Louisiana State University) for everything else, it just feels good being on and around campus. Lots of things to do, lots of good memories too (wife is an alumni, graduated '89).

Even went to my first game last year...
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4178235/1

...and I'm thinking about going on Saturday, tickets should be dirt cheap.

Why? Mainly for the exercise, you can get allot of walking in on gameday, climbing too if you're in the nosebleed sections. Surrounded by a bunch of drunks getting fatter on beer, hotdogs and nachos, screaming at thugs on a field. Meh. The cheerleaders however are awesome cute!

Re: College football! - 09/07/16 12:35 AM

I don't know how it works everywhere else, but here it's like this:

1) The college one went to. Unless it's outside the SouthEastern Conference (SEC), in which case one must have a backup to cheer for.
2) The college in the state. Here in Alabama, there's a line that runs through the middle of the state - north of it think Roll Tide Roll and Alabama, south of it War Eagle Auburn. There's some mix and matches, naturally, but that's kind of how it works.
3). The SEC college that's moving ahead IF one lives in the SEC's footprint. We are the only people who go beyond our team and celebrate the conference as a whole.

One will never hear a chant of "Big Ten, Big Ten, Big Ten" during an Ohio game, for example.
Posted By: PFunk

Re: College football! - 09/07/16 02:21 PM

Can't wait for the 23rd. Iron Skillet Bowl, y'all!

Re: College football! - 09/07/16 02:28 PM

When I lived in Texas people were always surprised when I told them my team were the UM Hurricanes but when I told them that I was originally from Florida they relented. wink

Man, I had no idea how bad the rivalry was between Texas A&M and UT until I lived there. lol

Re: College football! - 09/07/16 07:36 PM

The Michigan - Ohio State rivalry gets bad when the game is in Ohio. You have to watch yourself in Columbus if you are wearing U of M garb. When the game is in Ann Arbor it seems much more tame.

From stories I have been told, the Florida - Florida State rivalry is quite intense.

Funny thing here in the metro Detroit area. The term 'Walmart Wolverine' refers to the guy who has hundreds of dollars of U of M swag on, cheers like mad, and rips on the other school (usually Michigan State), all the while having never gone to school at Michigan or any other college at all. Way too many of them around here.

Re: College football! - 09/08/16 02:13 AM

One will never hear a chant of "Big Ten, Big Ten, Big Ten" during an Ohio game, for example.

For good reason. Ohio (University) is part of the Mid Atlantic Conference, not the BiG10.

Re: College football! - 09/08/16 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: LB4LB
The Michigan - Ohio State rivalry gets bad when the game is in Ohio. You have to watch yourself in Columbus if you are wearing U of M garb. When the game is in Ann Arbor it seems much more tame.

How a person from Ohio sees it:

The Ohio State- michigan rivalry gets bad when the game is in michigan. You have to watch yourself in Ann Arbor if you are wearing OSU garb. When the game is in Columbus it seems much more tame.

Hey, what would expect from the greatest rivalry in sport?

Re: College football! - 09/08/16 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: piper

For good reason. Ohio (University) is part of the Mid Atlantic Conference, not the BiG10.

Oh, I meant the bad Ohio - the Buckeyes.

Btw, why do most states not have the courtesy to name their colleges something different?

We have Alabama and Auburn, both State Schools.
Georgia has Georgia and Georgia Tech, which while similar is easy deal with by calling one Georgia and the other Tech.

Re: College football! - 09/08/16 02:52 AM

Oh, I meant the bad Ohio - the Buckeyes.

Oh, you mean the big, bad, Buckeye's who spanked Alabama in 2014?

Yeah, we do root for the other Big10 teams (but Rutgers and Maryland don't count).
I even root for michigan. Until the last Saturday in November.

Re: College football! - 09/08/16 03:39 AM

Truthfully, Ohio State is the only out-of-conference team Alabama has a meaningful rivalry with, and for good reason.

I was just as ticked off that we faced the Spartans ( rolleyes ) last year instead of the Buckeyes as their fans were.

Maybe this year?

Click to reveal..
But I do think Buckeye fans are the absolute worst in college football, even compared to Alabama ones. And that's saying a lot.

Re: College football! - 09/08/16 01:12 PM

Wisconsin was never big in my area, but I'm guessing that's due to the Packers being the local religion. Definitely not the "state team" like I could see for Alabama.

Re: College football! - 09/08/16 01:40 PM

I was not happy about MSU having to face Alabama last year. We had a great year, but I knew we were going to get crushed by Bama. It seems we always get a really tough team come bowl time. MSU vs. Michigan is a hell of a rivalry too. The pendulum might be swinging back towards Michigan now. Going to be hard to take. Lol

Re: College football! - 09/08/16 01:46 PM

I am a Sparty, so maybe I see it differently. In Columbus you just might get physically assaulted wearing a Michigan hat. In Ann Arbor the fans seem a little less aggressive. The Walmart Wolverine are the crazy ones.

Re: College football! - 09/18/16 05:32 AM

Week three....wow.

The Ole Miss/Tide game was too much like movie football, with dramatic plays and both sides hanging in until the last minute.

Wife's voice is hoarse from yelling at the TV. smile
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: College football! - 09/18/16 09:43 AM

#2 ranked Florida State hammered by Louisville 63-20. duh

Lots of games with 50 or more points scored by one team.

Re: College football! - 09/19/16 12:59 AM

Another great college football Saturday has passed.

I was pulling for Bama, the Razorbacks, Spartans, and the wimperines - and they all won!

And my Buckeye's looked pretty good too!

ps any FSU fans here? That was a joke btw.

Re: College football! - 09/21/16 04:37 AM

I knew USC was going to have a tough day just by watching the first series of plays by Stanford's offense against USC's defense.

Wheels

Re: College football! - 09/21/16 11:04 AM

My UM Hurricanes are off to a good start.

Re: College football! - 09/22/16 09:28 PM

Hmmm, 'Canes vs. Yellow Jackets should be an interesting game....the teams compliment each other, and Tech has home field advantage.

Other notes:

I think it's criminal that they didn't say that Ole Miss' WR Stringfellow climbed up like an air wolf to catch some of those passes.

This SEC short film is funny because it's dead on the money in regards to Alabama fans:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/01/sec_shorts_-_learn_how_to_cele.html

Re: College football! - 09/25/16 01:33 AM

Utah beating USC made my weekend. thumbsup

Wheels

Re: College football! - 09/27/16 05:03 AM

Les Miles fired from LSU. Wow. I get the why, but I thought the alumni bench was deep enough to see him through the season.

Hilarious that some reporters are suggestin Alabama's offensive coordinator, Lane Kiffin, as a hot prospect for taking his job. This is wrong on a couple levels:
1) Lane as a head coach doesn't have a great history, and LSU is going be very short on patience in reshaping LSU's program.
2) He has a pretty good gig at Alabama; the resources for the team, the money, and the status are pretty hard to walk away from. Plus he's got a pretty good boss to work for.
3) If the goal is to win the SEC West and go to the Nationals, that means beating Alabama. Saban is perfect in his record against assistant coaches that worked under him and became head coaches of other teams. Yes, a one loss SEC team can take it all, but only one loss...and there's Ole Miss and A&M always waiting to make things tough.

I understand why they put Division II teams into the schedule (to see if they can rotate into Division I and to give them a big payday for their athletic programs), but it's hazardous. Injuries happen, and for every West Kentucky (which could be a contender given a bit of growth) there's a Kent State, which had no business playing an SEC team. I think Alabama was playing prospective High School recruits at the end of that game on the line and still scoring.

Re: College football! - 10/10/16 05:17 AM

Another exciting week of college football.

Double overtime? Holy smokes! I know the Tennessee/Texas A&M game was going to be closely contested, but that's a bit extreme, don't y'all think?

And nothing but respect for Arkansas. Their QB took an absolute beating and kept playing with all his heart, and his team was right there with him playing to the last second. It's one time where the score doesn't really reflect the level of play; no team can come back from five turn-overs! Still, the absolute beauty of telling the TV that somebody needs to intercept Arkansas in the end zone just before Fitzpatrick does just that and runs it all the way down the field for a touchdown can't be understated.

Roll Tide Roll!

Btw, yes, the refs missed calls against Alabama. They also missed calls against Arkansas. There was a lot of McGoo officiating all over the field.

Re: College football! - 10/11/16 06:34 PM

Frak me. That was a tough loss against FSU. frown

Re: College football! - 10/16/16 05:50 AM

Normally I type something good about the other team, but I really dislike Tennessee football.

I was pretty pleased with the game where the Alabama defense out scored the Tennessee offense.

[edit]

I was expecting a close game, actually, and only now sobered up. Whiskey flowed the whole way through.

Re: College football! - 10/16/16 01:42 PM

Wisconsin I am disappoint. Lost in OT to Ohio after a damn close game.

Re: College football! - 10/23/16 01:33 AM

Wtf, Arkansas? Did we break your soul? Auburn beat them like a red headed step-child!

On Alabama/Texas A&M.... well...

Re: College football! - 10/23/16 04:04 PM

Yep, Bama/A&M game was a good one. Don't see anyone really stopping them - maybe the Steelers :-)
My Buckeye's were outplayed last night...Happy Valley my butt...

Another great Saturday for college ball!

ps look out for Western Michigan, those MAC teams are good and fun to watch..

Re: College football! - 11/06/16 12:23 AM

Will let Dart talk about that new NFL expansion team call Bama....
(what did you do to A&M :-)

Great day watching BiG10 games! Should be snow games by now..

Buckeye's playing a big game tonight! Go Bucks!
Posted By: Stormtrooper

Re: College football! - 11/06/16 02:02 AM

No Navy Notre Dame fans? Today Navy 28 ND 27

Re: College football! - 11/06/16 04:50 AM

Very cool.

For the Bama/LSU game I had to pull out the Bushmill's to pour into the whiskey glass at the half, as Johnny Walker Black didn't seem to get us any traction.

wink

Both the wife and I were very wrong on the game.

I had Fournette at 65 yards and a touchdown, she had him at 85 yards and a touchdown.

37 yards on 31 carries were in neither of our predictions.

Still, the Alabama defense didn't score a single time! Dammit, wtf? Give 'em a week off and they get too relaxed!

Seriously, what a great game! LSU has really turned around, and it was anybody's ball game. The score of 10-0 doesn't reflect the level of play LSU put up, that's for sure.

[edit]

Arkansas - the ultimate spoiler team. Never, ever count them out to wreck someone's season.

Re: College football! - 11/06/16 01:37 PM

It seems like ESPN would just love an Alabama vs. Michigan Championship game. Can you imagine the hype? Michigan sure looks good, but they haven't really played anybody yet. The Ohio State game will tell the tale. I am surprised Washington is ranked higher. Meanwhile, my MSU Spartans just flat out stink this year.

Re: College football! - 11/06/16 08:12 PM

That Bama/LSU game was unbearable to watch for me personally. It was literally about one in six plays where someone actually made more than a yard or two.

Re: College football! - 11/06/16 09:18 PM

Gotta love defensive battles.

We still have MS State (okay, we should be okay), Chattanooga (ug. Can we just send them a check and avoid the chance of injury?), and then Auburn, which will be close.

In fact, if Auburn beats us that's it for our season, and that's not out of the realm of possibility.

However, if the stars align right, it could be glorious.

Alabama (1) vs. Washington(4)
and
Michigan (2) vs. Clemson (3)

Then Alabama vs. Michigan.

Then we celebrate under the glowing cheer of SEC, SEC.

Re: College football! - 11/13/16 01:03 AM

Alabama is worrying me, as this is the second game without a defensive touchdown; the defense also allowed Mississippi State to score more than LSU did against us.

Click to reveal..
LOL. 51-3, and we had Hurts passing and by the middle of the third quarter we were playing so far down the roster the cheerleaders were being sized for pads.

Re: College football! - 11/13/16 01:09 AM

Your playoff picture is all wrong Dart. Clemson is done.

Still think it will be Bama vs Washington in final, but my fav game comes end of November at the Shoe!

Re: College football! - 11/13/16 03:32 AM

Pitt outta nowhere for the win!

I don't like to talk bad about other teams, but Clemson is a decent team in a weak conference and has eked out wins all season. The committee may still put them in the Nationals, though.

Georgia beat Auburn (what a fight!), so 'Bama locks the SEC West. So our season gets five more games.

Watching WA against USC....shocking. USC? Pitt part two?

Re: College football! - 11/13/16 07:36 PM

Reality finally caught up with Michigan. Just too hard to run the table. They are a different team outside the Big House. They play like that against Ohio State and they are going to get waxed. Looks like ABC and ESPN just might not get that Sabban / Harbough final after all. That was definitely a great day of college football. Those games were wild.

Re: College football! - 11/13/16 10:30 PM

I still think Washington should go to the Nationals if they prevail for the rest of the season. I don't understand why they've been dumped so low in the rankings.

1). One loss, and that to a ranked team. That's a hellava accomplishment no matter how one slices it.
2) Conference champions.
3) With all things being equal, it'll be good to see the PAC-12 at the Nationals. While I cringe when I read stuff saying X team or Y conference should be included because it's their turn or for inclusiveness or any other pablum, I can't see why a one loss PAC-12 Champion shouldn't be thrown a bone.

I also reject the "strength of Conference" argument against WA....if it was valid, we wouldn't see any ACC team represented. Clemson is good despite their opposition (in the main), and they deserve a shot for the trophy.

It's the worst sort of circular logic - the PAC-12 doesn't go to the Nationals because they aren't of the same quality as the B1G. If they were as good, we'd know it because they'd be selected to go.

dizzy
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: College football! - 11/13/16 10:39 PM

The football season has started ? But this is still pre-season games isn't it ?

Re: College football! - 11/21/16 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
But this is still pre-season games isn't it ?

I wish..but unfortunately, the final regular season game is next weekend. Which means.......

Rivalry Weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the greatest weekend in college football! IMHO, no sport compares to this weekend.

It's not about a National Championship - that was conjured up by companies that make money,
it's about pride.

Go Buck's!

Re: College football! - 11/24/16 03:49 AM

Yep.

There are three questions at the end of every season, in order of importance:

1) Did you beat Auburn?
2) Did you win the SEC?
3) Did you win the National Championship?

Re: College football! - 11/28/16 09:37 PM

Now, was that a great Ohio State/michigan game or what?

@Dart - now that my Dolphins ran off 6 wins in a row, I think they could take Bama!
(but no college team will)

Re: College football! - 11/28/16 09:47 PM

Now, was that a great Ohio State/Michigan game or what?

Yes, it was a competitive game.
No, it was not great in the outcome. Alabama fans will never lead the nation in the Jerk Factor so long as Ohio State plays football.

On the Dolphins, no contest. But Browns fans are desperate enough for a win to want it.

I'm not saying Alabama is the dominant team, but I heard rumors that Florida is going to have Chris Hardwick host the post-game analysis for them.

smile

Re: College football! - 11/28/16 11:06 PM

No, it was not great in the outcome. Alabama fans will never lead the nation in the Jerk Factor so long as Ohio State plays football.

I have no idea what you meant by that, but sounds offensive.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: College football! - 11/28/16 11:14 PM

Don't matter the Bucs won!!!

Re: College football! - 11/28/16 11:36 PM

In the comment section of any college football article are the typical band wagon Alabama fans talking trash about how not only is Alabama the best, but the SEC the only competitive conference making all of us look bad.

But then a Buckeye goes on the SEC bias rant that involves everyone up to but not including the Illuminati, and how Ohio can beat Alabama, as we don't have a competitive schedule.

The vocal minority of Ohio State fans seem to elevate their team by complaining that others have some unfair advantage and should be downgraded. My favorite from Ohio State fans is the weather excuse for a loss, as if it only rains on their team in a game.

Plus the trolling. In any comment section on an Alabama game, there is always one Ohio State fan to announce what a joke Alabama is and disparage their fans.

I want us to be number one in everything.

smile
Posted By: Nixer

Re: College football! - 11/28/16 11:54 PM

smile

NOBODY likes a loser.

Re: College football! - 11/29/16 12:06 AM

In the comment section of any college football article are the typical band wagon Alabama fans talking trash about how not only is Alabama the best, but the SEC the only competitive conference making all of us look bad.

But then a Buckeye goes on the SEC bias rant that involves everyone up to but not including the Illuminati, and how Ohio can beat Alabama, as we don't have a competitive schedule.

The vocal minority of Ohio State fans seem to elevate their team by complaining that others have some unfair advantage and should be downgraded. My favorite from Ohio State fans is the weather excuse for a loss, as if it only rains on their team in a game.

Plus the trolling. In any comment section on an Alabama game, there is always one Ohio State fan to announce what a joke Alabama is and disparage their fans.

smile

Did you hear any of that "disparaging" #%&*$# here? Man, if you want to whine go to the DCS forum on this site. That's all they do there.

I'm a huge college football fan, and I do root for Bama (when not playing OSU).

Go Buck's! (and they needed it today)
Posted By: SFViper19D

Re: College football! - 11/29/16 12:48 AM

Quote:

Did you hear any of that "disparaging" #%&*$# here? Man, if you want to whine go to the DCS forum on this site. That's all they do there.

I'm a huge college football fan, and I do root for Bama (when not playing OSU).

Go Buck's! (and they needed it today)

Don't worry about it Piper. It was a great game and both teams played their hearts out. 2OT edge of the seat for sure.

Dart is just mad cause some douche fan talked smack but you know what? Every team has those fans, this board not excluded apparently.

Re: College football! - 11/29/16 02:50 AM

If you look earlier in the thread you'll see I actually really respect Ohio State's football team, and for that matter other conferences.

The days of one or two conferences sucking in all the talent to the exclusion of others, or one team having seemingly magical coaching is over, with a couple exceptions.

Ohio State, Michigan, TAMU, LSU, Bama and one or two others will always be talent magnets, but the margins get thinner and thinner every year.

I also lived through the end of Bear years and the train wrecks that followed, so I don't take anything for granted as far as Alabama goes. It's easy being a Bama fan right now.

[edit]

Good on LSU for giving Coach O the job formally! Guy is a great coach and LSU is going to be an even more formidable squad.

Re: College football! - 12/04/16 04:03 PM

After the SEC championship game, it turns out the Tide Wants Bama.

Re: College football! - 01/04/17 02:44 AM

OK Dart, it's your turn to boast.

What a great college bowl season! My Buckeye's were out-classed and out-played. Sucked.
But the Championship Game should be a good one!

Shame it's almost over.

Re: College football! - 01/10/17 11:33 PM

Last night's championship game....WOW! What a great game! The last drive by each team
was epic.

They should continue with the college football playoffs, but I want to see the rubber match
between these two!

Shame with the talent Watson has, that he'll probably be in Cleveland next year..
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: College football! - 01/11/17 12:19 AM

Piper you forgot the score,

Clem 36 with 21pts in the 4th quarter.
Bama 31

Guess Dart is sleeping off his hangover from drowning his sorrow. winkngrin stirthepot

Sorry Dart was brain fart, fixed. duh blush

Re: College football! - 01/11/17 12:38 AM

Naw, I'm just hoarse from yelling at the TV! Oh, and yes, a mild hangover, but that happens after every game, with the exception of those 10:00 a.m. ones.

Um, Clemson 35 vs. Alabama 31.

Great game, straight out of a movie (but the bad guys won).

Our offense just couldn't make it happen, which has been off and on all season. Credit Renfrow on Clemson's side for catching Allen's ankle on the fumble return for winning the game for Clemson. If he hadn't of caught his ankle he'd of been gone, gone, gone.

smile

Like last year, it could have gone either way. This time it fell to Clemson.

No excuses about flags thrown or not thrown. It's part of the game, and if it's so close that a random call or two decided it then one's team is lacking.

Hey, 26 wins in a row before a loss isn't half bad. Plus our quarterback will only get better (or cut), and Watson is surely going to the Pros.

Sigh. I just can't stand Dabo's smirk and swagger. He's like the distilled form of an OSU fan, just for another team.

Click to reveal..

The way to tell LSU and Clemson apart from eachother is simple: LSU is where brothers marry their sisters. Clemson is where it's two brothers.

Re: College football! - 01/11/17 12:48 AM

> He's like the distilled form of an OSU fan, just for another team.

God how I love college football!

We'll see ya next year Dart, be sure!

Re: College football! - 01/11/17 01:04 AM

Dart's reveal = /thread.

Too funny and too real. Didn't watch the game and figured it for a Bama win for sure.

Guess I can cross bookie off my career list.............

Re: College football! - 01/11/17 02:52 AM

Nailed it:

Re: College football! - 01/11/17 05:25 AM

Great video Dart. thumbsup

Wheels

Re: College football! - 01/11/17 07:51 PM

Okay, looking into next year, I'm excited, especially for the SEC.*

1) Bama is Bama. All the talk about how a narrow loss is the end of a Dynasty is hilarious. When we beat Clemson last year by five - and was saved by an on side kick - nobody was saying Clemson was a flash in the pan that didn't deserve to be there. I think the term Sarknado for our offense is going to become a meme.

For us old people, we remember the 1980's and losing seasons post Bear Bryant. We're a long way from there.

2) LSU looks to be back. Orgeron is just the fresh breath of air they need, and a strong LSU is just good for everyone. Fournette is a great running back, but it seemed like LSU was hanging everything on him either playing or waiting for him to overcome injuries - and he's gone to the pros.. Guice and crew are the real deal.

3) Georgia had some signs of life brewing under their season with Smart. Season One is always tough for a new head coach with a new defensive coordinator (we traded Pruitt for Smart at Georgia).

4) Tennessee is going to look just as ugly on the field as they always do, regardless of play. Something about that shade of orange just makes me angry. Add in that CBS has a love affair with Peyton Manning during the game to the point of distraction doesn't help.

5) Ole Miss can't ever be counted out to at least be a spoiler team. If they ever put everything together at the same time....wow.

6) Auburn is set to play solid football. Nothing fancy, just competent football, which can be really, really hard to beat.*

7) Vandy will raise the average GPA for the conference by a full tenth of a point. Mission accomplished as far as the rest of us are concerned. Hell, SEC fans love to denigrate Arkansas (which can be a spoiler team), but nobody makes fun of Vandy; they're like our fun little cousin that we allow to play because he's got more heart than skill and makes us smile the whole time.

* Remember, please, that the measure of any Alabama season for a fan is thus, in order of precedence:

1) Did we beat Auburn? (yes)
2) Did we win the SEC? (yes)
3) Did we win the Natty? (no)

So, two out of three ain't bad. If we'd of lost to Auburn but won the SEC and the National there would be far more bad feelings about the team than we have now.
Posted By: coasty

Re: College football! - 01/12/17 01:13 AM

i watch sports, or TV, less and less, so i watched this fantastic game in a vacuum of information and favorites. It was well fought.

Re: College football! - 01/12/17 01:21 AM

There seems to be a lot of hype about USC's young QB. They might be back to haunt a few teams next year. I am hoping for a stronger Big 10, but not overly optimistic. Penn State, OSU, and Michigan might be in the mix, but just short of BCS material. As far as watching my Spartans, well booze will help with that.

IMHO, the top 8 ranked teams should play in a play off scenario. The whole 'Bowl Game' thing has lost it's luster.

Re: College football! - 01/12/17 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: LB4LB
The whole 'Bowl Game' thing has lost it's luster.

Yeah, mega commercialism is NOT good.

Lookin forward to next years Tampax Tidy Bowl by Bank America.

Re: College football! - 01/12/17 02:37 AM

My last post on the topic (really:-)

The Championship series is horseshit. It's all about which team can bring a bigger draw (money).
I'm convinced that's why The Buck's got in. Huge school, alumni travels well. Hell, they didn't
even have a good team this year after losing all those seniors to the nfl.

But they did beat michigan (again)! The ONLY game that really matters.

To me, you should have to be a conference winner to be considered. Then, fight it out to the top.

Another thing - Kirk Herbstreit. Get him out! God, he was a mediocre qb at OSU and now, a very
annoying announcer. When he's there I turn the volume down.
We have the technology - why can't we bring Keith Jackson back??

Looking forward to next September!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums