homepage

Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US)

Posted By: Arthonon

Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/27/16 04:04 PM

I actually thought this was common knowledge, but from what I've seen, I guess it's not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oqfodY2Lz0

I constantly see people poking along in the left lane, blocking what would otherwise be an open, fast-moving lane, and it's infuriating.
Posted By: Lucky_1

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/27/16 04:35 PM

Until this law gets enforced like it does in Germany, it will always be a problem. I've always thought, if you could combine the traffic laws of Germany and the United States, you would have THE best traffic system. All you need to do is take the best parts out of each system and combine them. I don't know why this has never been done.
Posted By: WileECoyote

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/27/16 04:39 PM

Unless the US is different than Argentina (which I doubt given that, as you say, it's basic knowledge) it's not because they don't know, it's because they don't care.

They don't want to have cars in front of them or go trough the "hassle" of changing lanes once in a while so they stay on the left side.
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/27/16 04:56 PM

Here they don't enforce this rule, and it is a pain the butt being stranded behind 2 side by side cars on a two lane road, because the one in the left wants to be Holier-than-thou and pass a semi at the speed limit. I have even seen this in three-lane highways here.

As soon as they end up behind someone doing the same thing, you got the seeds for a traffic jam, because now no one can take the left lane to pass.
Posted By: mugwump

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/27/16 05:26 PM

It's insane here in Vancouver. Part of my work commute takes me along an 8km stretch of highway with two lanes in each direction and only two places to turn off along the entire stretch. I don't think I've ever had a day in six years where there aren't at least half a dozen heroes sticking in the left lane and driving exactly parallel to the car in the right hand lane for the entire stretch. I get it. They need to turn left in 8km. Wouldn't want to risk having to change lanes and missing it.

RRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Rambler

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/27/16 05:39 PM

This is every day in Houston. My favorite is when semis fancy themselves as left laners. No, you're not. You're slow. Stay in the right lanes.
Posted By: Murphy

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/27/16 06:13 PM

Traffic laws vary from one jurisdiction to another.
Some are 'state laws'....which encompass the entire state.

There ARE laws regarding left lane, being used for passing 'only'.

But some guys find it difficult to write grandpa a ticket, even for a serious violation.
Working uniform for the few years I did, I would pull them over and warn them.
But I doubt it did any good.

Yeah....I hate them also.
I was really glad to get transferred out of uniform.
It's a tough job.

Even worse is when you try to pass on a two lane road, some idiots will speed up, trying to get everyone killed.
Now THAT's a brilliant move.....lol....but NOBODY is gonna get in front of him. wink

Humans........

Posted By: Stewie

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/27/16 06:20 PM

Not trying to be funny here, but I thought that the cars hogging the left lane was a normal, everyday occurrence over there.
When I see American programs of whatever type, I seem to see people dawdling in the left lane. It would drive me absolutely, beyond salvage, mad.
Yes, it happens in the UK, and here in SPain, but nowhere NEAR the amount that happens for you USians.
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/27/16 06:21 PM

My first time ever driving in Europe was just last month while I was in Slovakia for a month with a rental car (even drove in Poland for a day trip). I already am one who believes slower cars should remain in the right lane, and there were times when I'd make a pass at 130kmph and have a car fly up to me out of nowhere after I'd even checked behind me. I'd make my pass and jump back in the right lane causing no problems, and it seemed like that was the norm. Other than a couple of people who thought they were autobahn drivers or people who passed on blind mountain curves, I felt pretty safe and traffic flowed nicely.

We did just pass the law last year in Indiana about left lane cruisers, but I have yet to see anyone pulled over for it and I see it happen every day. If anything a police car will just pull up behind a slower left lane car until the car realizes he's being followed by a cop and gets over, but as soon as the police cruiser passes him he'll move back over to the left. Grrrr.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/27/16 06:44 PM

Or as we call them in the UK: MLMs or Middle Lane Morons smile

When I first moved to Belgium lane discipline was very good and you could get a move on if you needed to, as once a car had overtaken another it would pull back into the right lane again. Now, 11 years later, you can make faster progress in the right lane as the left is crawling along jam packed with slow cars.

Bah humbug.

But even in Germany where lane discipline is still very good - the thought of getting rear-ended by a Porsche going about 200km/h faster than you may have something to do with it wink - I got repeatedly blocked by an old guy in a big old merc that didn't want to let me pass.

Still, sitting at 210km/h (135mph) in my Range Rover and getting passed by cars that make me look like I am standing still, even sitting at 270km/h ( not the Range Rover I hasten to add!) and you get passed regularly driving

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/27/16 07:11 PM

I never could understand the mental attitude of someone "WANTING" to make people wait for them.

They seem to want to be in front, blocking traffic.

Simply insane......'humans'.
I've given up on trying to understand them.
I just pass them, I have a vehicle that can do it, whether they like it or not.
Let them live in their misery. I'm 'gone', in less than 15 seconds.

I like to call them "The 'little' BIG men'.....lol....cause I think that's the real problem. wink
Posted By: Airdrop01

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/27/16 07:15 PM

Trucks are the worst offenders. By far.

But I don't get upset about it as life is too short. I've gone to cutting everyone a break (maybe they're distracted as they lost a kid or a job or whatever). Sure. Probably not true but I'm happier that way and I'm well down the road...
Posted By: 462cid

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/27/16 07:37 PM

To hell with it.

SimHQ, I am so sick and tired of the constant slow loading pages, unresponsive scripts, crashes, and hangups. I had to type this message in Word and then copy and paste this here before I have a crash. Only website that does it to me.

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/27/16 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Murphy
I never could understand the mental attitude of someone "WANTING" to make people wait for them.

They seem to want to be in front, blocking traffic.

Simply insane......'humans'.
I've given up on trying to understand them.
I just pass them, I have a vehicle that can do it, whether they like it or not.
Let them live in their misery. I'm 'gone', in less than 15 seconds.

I like to call them "The 'little' BIG men'.....lol....cause I think that's the real problem. wink

Yeah, I don't get it. I'll admit that if I am gaining on a car in an adjacent lane, and I see them want to move into my lane ahead of me, I'll speed up so I don't get stuck behind them, but only if they are going more slowly than me to begin with.

Too many people drive around without any attention paid to what's around them, and I don't think even look in their rear-view mirror to know what's going on behind them. I always try to pay attention, and frequently move over if someone is coming up behind me faster than I am going. I don't want to be "that guy" who is slowing someone else down, even if they are speeding. As long as they're cruising on an open road and not cutting in and out of traffic, I'm happy to get out of their way.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/27/16 08:39 PM

What gets me is I have pulled out to pass some slower vehicles in the right lane and get stuck behind a vehicle or vehicles in the left lane. Then some wannabe nascar driver pulls up behind me and starts flashing his lights. Tough dog poo, you are stuck there till the vehicles in front of me move and I get by them.
Posted By: piper

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/28/16 12:36 AM

I see that here where I live, but what drives me even more nuts is the "merge".

Three lane highway. Come to an intersection with a merge lane to get on. Folks here (in the slow lane)
slow down to let the driver merge in.. WTF, that is not merging. Now this slows traffic, then the guy who
merged (just drove onto) the slow lane always tries to creep into the middle lane. This slows traffic in
the two inner lanes. The folks in the fast lane see the joker trying to get into the middle lane and slow down
bringing ALL traffic to a standstill.

Rant mode off.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/28/16 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: 462cid
To hell with it.

SimHQ, I am so sick and tired of the constant slow loading pages, unresponsive scripts, crashes, and hangups. I had to type this message in Word and then copy and paste this here before I have a crash. Only website that does it to me.

Get Chrome and the free adblocker.

Oh and welcome to the SimHq adserver.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/28/16 12:47 AM

Or the people who drive 30mph all the way around the cloverleaf to merge into interstate traffic doing 70+.

One big problem here is the speed limit on the interstate. Or rather, limitS. The speed limit is 70, minimum speed 45. You simply CAN NOT have 25+mph difference between different vehicles on the same road. The speed limit should be 70, and that should be the speed you have to travel. If you can't do 70 then stay off the interstate. I'd have a separate lane for trucks, separated from the travel lanes by a wall, and they'd just have to deal with each other the way we do.

Drivers in Germany had lane discipline like I only dream about seeing here.
Posted By: piper

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/28/16 12:56 AM

One more.

Here in Raleigh (never seen elsewhere) the highway designers made it common for the on ramp (merge lane)
onto a major highway also share the same lane for the off ramp (exit lane) from a major highway.

Brilliant!

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/28/16 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: piper
One more.

Here in Raleigh (never seen elsewhere) the highway designers made it common for the on ramp (merge lane)
onto a major highway also share the same lane for the off ramp (exit lane) from a major highway.

Brilliant!

We have that in California as well, and I've thought the same thing. You've got cars just getting on the freeway not anywhere near highway speeds in the way of cars already going fast and trying to take the exit, and no one is sure what the others are doing. It just creates a mess. Now throw in one of the clueless slow drivers who will NEVER get up to highway speed mucking everything up and you get a serious backup.
Posted By: Dick Dastardly

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/28/16 01:53 AM

It always makes me warm and fuzzy when there are three vehicles abreast, each going one mile per zodiac sign change faster then the one to the right, thus "passing" them. Nevermind the fastest is still 10 under the limit.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/28/16 01:57 AM

These are the times I wish I had a 1972 Grand Fury with railroad ties for bumpers. Just an old olive drab war wagon with the least amount of insurance required on it. Nothing but dents and whiskey licks all over it.The 50 caliber machine gun on the hood is optional. I'll take a grenade launcher too.

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/28/16 02:02 AM

One more.

Brilliant!

They have those in NH, too; the interstate is basically tangent to the on/off ramp. When exiting I always do so as far along as possible, to give merging vehicles as much space as possible to accelerate.

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/28/16 02:45 AM

One more.

Brilliant!

Oh, we have that here in IN too. Fort Wayne and Indy have dual merge on/off lanes. What a mess. Trying to merge onto the interstate but having a car drop in front of you slowing down to exit...ugh.

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/28/16 02:59 AM

As far as the guy who has to be out front, even when nobody is around...

I love doing the guy out front mental challenge on just about everyone I come up on. I don't (can't) drive crazy fast in my Jeep TJ that's lifted and has big tires...but I do catch up to slower cars. I'll catch up to a car and they speed up on a 4 lane highway to not let me go around. Well, I don't like driving door to door so I'll bump up my speed and sometimes they'll match my speed again. I'll slowly start to slow down and let them get a slight lead again and when I see them backing down I'll hammer down and go around. The funny thing is, as soon as I'm by them, they'll go back to their slow speed where they were when I was catching them in the first place. Within about a mile or two I can barely see them behind me anymore. Just that dumb mentality that they don't want to be passed even if they are slower.

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/28/16 06:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Dick Dastardly
It always makes me warm and fuzzy when there are three vehicles abreast, each going one mile per zodiac sign change faster then the one to the right, thus "passing" them. Nevermind the fastest is still 10 under the limit.

Our Snelweg (Autobahn/motorway/highway) is generally only 2 lane with a max speed of 120km/h. Large trucks are limited to 90km/h and so then you get Elephant racing - lets see who has the fastest speed limiter, it can block the snelweg for countless km and cause long tailbacks. Now trucks have a ban on overtaking during the rush hours.
Posted By: Johnny_Redd

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/28/16 02:00 PM

I live in the Pacific north west, originally from the UK. I hate driving up here. Folk will enter the freeway and immediately cross 3 lanes to get to the left lane. Even if the left lane is bumper to bumper and the other lanes are almost empty. I swear! I don't know what they teach in drivers ed here but the things I see on a daily basis is beyond explanation. My biggest peeves are the use of indicators. Folk will turn then indicate. Or folk will pull up to a red light and sit there until the light turn green then indicate, there is no forewarning of anyone's intention. I was taught "mirror, signal, manoeuvre" here it's manoeuvre then signal. I could go on all day.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/28/16 05:04 PM

Ah, the infamous "slow race" where every lane is filled with cars doing almost the exact same speed.

It's not new - seen it since I've been riding in cars.

I'd say that in my experience Washington State and Georgia (Atlanta in particular) are the worst for it.

Here in B'ham it's routine to see the slow lane doing 70 off rush hours and the fast lane doing 85 or better, even when it drops down to 55 where the interstate goes through the city.

smile

We still get our fair share of morons and idiots, though, per the George Carlin theory of motorists.

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/28/16 08:20 PM

As I was saying earlier, the motorways here are mostly 2 lane, when I used to go home to London on a Sunday the queue going the other way, the head of it would be on the Brussel's ring and the tail at De Panne at the border with France, a distance of about 140 to 150km (around 90 miles) I always was thankful to be going the other way smile

Mind you Leaving work in Reading and heading either to Dover or the Tunnel on a Friday afternoon, to cover the 125miles it would take from 15:00 to about 21:00, most of it sitting in 4 or 5 lanes of stationary traffic on the M25 parking lot wink
Posted By: coasty

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/28/16 11:21 PM

the route i take daily, whilst pulling a 12 foot trailer full of lawn mowers, has me entering the left lane of 3 westbound lanes. The right lane is marked for an exit ahead, leaving 2 lanes for through traffic. All too often, even though i have accelerated rapidly thanks to the 350 vortek in my suburban, traffic to my right prefers to speed up and block me from coming over. I do use that clicking noise (turn signal) but they have to make it harder. Then when I find a spot open to get in the slow through lane, some cell phone yacker will suddenly decide they don't really want to take the exit, and without consulting their mirror, using a signal, or turning their head, whips over into the lane i am actively merging into. They do have horns to blow and use that privilege, most give way when they realize mt trailer is going to crush their kia. Some days i just take the easy way out and stay in the left lane for the 2 miles it runs through town and avoid the many folks entering and exiting several other roads, some with and entrance ramp running right into an exit ramp in the next block. Just observing the speed limit, or best safe speed would smooth out a lot of wrinkles.
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/29/16 02:36 AM

I think in Louisiana we have a law to keep right unless passing (always seeing signs that say this), which is the way I drive anyway.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/29/16 02:19 PM

Of course, that doesn't help when cars slow down to pass.

Doing 80 in the middle lane, guy ahead is doing 71, get to the left lane and drop to 71.5 for the duration of the pass.
Get back in the middle lane and accelerate back to 80. Come up on car doing 73, get over and drop to 73.5...

Rinse and repeat.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: U-96

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/29/16 03:20 PM

ditto those who do 40 in a 60, then continue at 40 through the 30. I suppose maybe it averages out or something?!

also those who speed up once they see they are being overtaken, and those who time their overtake pass to coincide with exactly the point you need to overtake the large truck that they will have seen you closing on for the last half-mile.
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/29/16 03:40 PM

This is why I much prefer making road trips in the middle of the night, all I need are good tunes and decent car audio.
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/29/16 08:15 PM

Left lane cruising infuriates me quite a bit. I can't comprehend how people don't understand these basic lane rules.
Posted By: FrenchToast

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/29/16 08:51 PM

At the other end of the spectrum, I always get mad when I'm cruising at the speed limit in the RIGHT lane and some moron behing me puts his car less than 2 feet behind me to try to intimidate me into changing lanes or accelerating because he's taking the next exit 2 kilometers away but still wants to go 30 kph over the limit...

FT

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/30/16 08:18 PM

I'm telling you guys, the left lane 'blockers', are simply exerting the only power in life, that they ever have. And it's behind the wheel of a car.
The only time people will pay any attention to them. The only time they have any power over anyone else.

They're "Little BIG men". Or, as my wife calls them, "Blockers".

It's a psychological problem they have, I'm certain.

I just pass them as fast as I can, and try to forget I ever saw them.
Don't let them know your going to pass, or they'll speed up.
And when you pass, make it as fast as you can, cause they'll surely speed up while your in the oncoming lane of traffic, trying to block you....or kill you. They slow down to a ridiculous speed when they hit the double yellow line. They know nobody can pass.
The longer the line behind them, the BIGGER man they are.
When I see someone behind me, I feel bad that I'm holding them up. Do whatever I can to get out of their way. Not these guys. You can see them coming a mile ahead of you, they always have a line of cars behind them, the longer the line, the "bigger" the man, in their eyes.

Insanity. There is no cure.
Avoid them if you can.

I really think you can judge a man, by the way he drives. It all comes out.

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/30/16 10:48 PM

I'm telling you guys, the left lane 'blockers', are simply exerting the only power in life, that they ever have. And it's behind the wheel of a car.
The only time people will pay any attention to them. The only time they have any power over anyone else.

And when you pass, make it as fast as you can, cause they'll surely speed up while your in the oncoming lane of traffic, trying to block you....or kill you. They slow down to a ridiculous speed when they hit the double yellow line. They know nobody can pass.
When I see someone behind me, I feel bad that I'm holding them up. Do whatever I can to get out of their way. Not these guys. You can see them coming a mile ahead of you, they always have a line of cars behind them, the longer the line, the "bigger" the man, in their eyes.

Avoid them if you can.

I came to that same conclusion a long time ago. I think some people feel a certain anonymity when they get in a car, and let their true self out a bit more. I also think that when they're sitting there alone, without other influences, they act on instinct more instead of being reminded of social responsibilities that might be more obvious in face-to-face situations.

If they're indecisive or confused easily, you'll see that in their driving. If they are just not very bright, and/or don't think ahead, again, you'll see that in their driving. Thinking about it, incorporating some kind of driving observation might be useful as part of a job interview, regardless as to whether the job involves driving.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/30/16 10:51 PM

LOL Murphy, brings back memories of going to the cottage. Back then it was a twisty hilly road with very few places to pass. The speed limit was 60mph on the road. The tortoise would slow down to at least 40mph or less for every corner and then speed up for the straights but not to the speed limit. People took crazy chances to get by the tortoise. Traffic would be backed up for miles behind them (no exaggeration).
Posted By: W-Molders

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/30/16 10:54 PM

whats worse......................... when they merge on ... they dont punch it and try and match traffic.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/31/16 12:37 AM

Lol, Disney knew about this problem in 1950!!

Goofy in Motor Mania

Wheels

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/31/16 12:56 PM

I remember seeing that a good 35+ years ago on TV. It's impossible to find these aired anymore.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: U-96

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/31/16 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Arthonon

Avoid them if you can.

I came to that same conclusion a long time ago. I think some people feel a certain anonymity when they get in a car, and let their true self out a bit more. I also think that when they're sitting there alone, without other influences, they act on instinct more instead of being reminded of social responsibilities that might be more obvious in face-to-face situations.

If they're indecisive or confused easily, you'll see that in their driving. If they are just not very bright, and/or don't think ahead, again, you'll see that in their driving. Thinking about it, incorporating some kind of driving observation might be useful as part of a job interview, regardless as to whether the job involves driving.

That would be a bad idea: I'd just be swearing at all the muppets in my way wink
Posted By: Johan217

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 08/31/16 09:53 PM

I do take exception to the statement "they force faster drivers to do dangerous manoeuvres like overtaking on the right" in the video. If you cannot overtake safely, don't. Overtaking on the right is illegal here, I assume the same applies in the US.

As much as I hate left lane cruisers, the thing I hate most are drivers who don't keep a distance, either by cutting right in front or by sticking in the rear.
Posted By: Noter

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/01/16 12:22 AM

Uugghh, left lane hogs has to be my biggest pet peeve. This is a huge problem with interstate driving in the U.S.. The ones that obviously have the cruise on because it's easier to do in the left lane than deal with the fluctuating speeds of the right lane. Set the cruise to 65, live in left land and never have to use your feet. I've gotten to where I pull around, get in front of them and coast in hopes of making them move over to the right. Works some of the time, but not enough. These people drive me nuts, I can feel my blood pressure going up just thinking about it.

I feel like half of our accidents would be eliminated if people followed this rule and it's so simple to follow.
Posted By: JimK

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/01/16 01:14 AM

Gotta love the those drivers in SD, WY and MT. Where 80mph interstate speed limits are set.
Last trip out west they were going by on the left at least a 110 to 120mph like I was on the
Autobahn. Kinda scary really. I set the cruise at about 78mph. Talk about a serious reduction
in MPG. And if you needed to get around someone driving slower in the right lane, you took
your life in your hands getting around them without slowing those Speed demons.

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/01/16 03:21 AM

I remember a great road trip to Virginia. The traffic seemed well mannered and melted out of our way. late in the trip i discovered my two young sons had made signs and were holding them in the windows. One said "our Dad is CRAZY" and the other was "stay out of his way, he will hurt you". They knew from making yard sale signs to make the letters bold and evenly spaced. We had a long talk about all that could have gone wrong, and one pointed out to me that my bumper sticker was "WARNING. I drive just like YOU!"
Posted By: JimK

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/01/16 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: coasty
I remember a great road trip to Virginia. The traffic seemed well mannered and melted out of our way. late in the trip i discovered my two young sons had made signs and were holding them in the windows. One said "our Dad is CRAZY" and the other was "stay out of his way, he will hurt you". They knew from making yard sale signs to make the letters bold and evenly spaced. We had a long talk about all that could have gone wrong, and one pointed out to me that my bumper sticker was "WARNING. I drive just like YOU!"

CLASSIC. thumbsup
Posted By: PV1

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/01/16 11:40 AM

Regarding two lane roads; back in my yout' at the
very dawn of the jet age, my family used to go on
summer trips inland to explore the country. In BC
there are very few straight stretches, and back then
everything was two lane. What would drive me crazy
(dad, driving, was much more serene) would be the
drivers with prairie plates, usually Saskatchewan,
out west to see the mountains, probably for the first
and last time. They'd been driving for forty years, and
figured they were good at it, but they'd never seen a
curve in their lives that wasn't a 90º intersection with
a stop sign. So, on the rare straight stretches they'd
establish their cred by going about 20% over the limit,
but as soon as the road resumed its typical wind,
they'd follow the yellow "slow to" recommendations
(which are generally for a rookie driver in driving sleet)
with a good extra 15% reduction just for safety, taking
slow to 40 curves at 30, and building up literally miles
of traffic behind them.

Some of them had the presence to pull off and let everyone
by on the rare occasions where a pullout was available,
but some were too oblivious, or too proud.

Anyway, for me, any four lane road is such an improvement
over that that I rarely am bothered by much of anything
people do (and I'll quite happily go round someone on the
right if they are clearly dawdling and the space is clear.)

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/01/16 08:47 PM

passing a slow passing lane driver on the right should be called him unpassing you and any ticket goes to him.
Posted By: The Nephilim

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/02/16 11:03 PM

Well Actually the left lane is a Passing lane. now this does not mean pass at whatever speed you like because you are passing.. the thing that bugs me most is the people who do not obey the speed limit..

Now if people observed the speed limit and some of the othe rrules of the road it sure would be a heck of a lot better driving in the wilderness.. Now I know a lot of people think it is the fast lane yes it is but as long as you are NOT going over the speed limit..

I know from what I read here people think they can just pass at a higher rate of speed but that is illegal.. and here in this state we have a 3 lane highwat on both side and I see people passing me like I am standing still. I see a lot of speeders who think if they pass in the right lane they will not get pulled over as they are not in the fast lane..

If only people obeyed the laws we have it would be so much better out there.. but some people think the rules only apply to the other driver frown

Sad existence..

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/03/16 07:24 PM

Yes, the left lane is the passing lane, which is why it should be kept open, and not have someone camp out there to cruise. For the record, I would never expect to not be pulled over for speeding simply because I was in the left-most lane.

What I see all the time is someone going along under the speed limit, sometimes way under, sometimes just a little under, and they create a traffic bottleneck. Everyone wants to get around them, and that reduces the number of available lanes that the rest of the traffic has available in that spot. People get frustrated, traffic builds up, and that's when accidents occur. If the slower drivers just moved to the right and got out of the way, it would be much safer.

As far as the law goes, the US law during the '70s and '80s was that the speed limit had to be at 55mph, and in 1995 that was repealed. What changed? The oil situation, not the roads. The roads were designed to handle much higher speeds, so simply driving fast in and of itself isn't usually that much of a danger. Driving with traffic filled with slow moving and clueless drivers is the real danger. People who change lanes without looking, who don't pay attention to the road (usually texting these days), who drink and drive, and many other reasons cause many more accidents than speed does.

Speed can increase the damaged caused in an accident, but it is not usually the major cause OF the accident. I'm not saying that it's never dangerous to go too fast, but it's not based on the law, it's based on the conditions. In some conditions driving 10mph under the speed limit may be too fast, where in others it may be perfectly safe to drive 10mph over. Simply obeying the speed limit law does not automatically make everyone safe.
Posted By: Lieste

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/03/16 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Noter
Uugghh, left lane hogs has to be my biggest pet peeve. This is a huge problem with interstate driving in the U.S.. The ones that obviously have the cruise on because it's easier to do in the left lane than deal with the fluctuating speeds of the right lane. Set the cruise to 65, live in left land and never have to use your feet. I've gotten to where I pull around, get in front of them and coast in hopes of making them move over to the right. Works some of the time, but not enough. These people drive me nuts, I can feel my blood pressure going up just thinking about it.

I feel like half of our accidents would be eliminated if people followed this rule and it's so simple to follow.

When the speed limit is 65, why do you need to overtake someone travelling at that speed.

Wouldn't many of the accidents you suggest would be eliminated by the 65 left lane cruisers not doing that... also be eliminated if you didn't break a different law in order to overtake someone at the speed limit?
Posted By: 462cid

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/03/16 08:36 PM

Why do we need to go 65? Why do we need to choose a blue color car? Why do we g choose that style of shoes? As many answers as stars in the sky, and they all mean: we want to.

OK sure, left lane for passing.

And the volume of cars is such that it is used for travelling like any other lane. Take those cars out of the left lane, and where do they go? The other lanes are already full.

Oh, European countries do it like...well stop there. They are not the USA. The needs concerns laws and requirements are not the same in each country. And before the world-weary international citizens chime in, you know damned well that jingoism won't make two cars inhabit the same physical space on a road just so you can try to win an argument.

The fact is that US roads and infrastructure coupled with the volume of cars puts a variable into the discussion that cannot be overcome by ideals and arguments about driving etiquette.

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/04/16 05:09 AM

Leave the speeders to the cops.

Blocking the entire road, just to drive under the speed limit, causes people to try to pass when maybe they shouldn't, that is the cause of most fatal accidents in rural areas. Head on collisions are fatal.
Slow drivers, and running red lights, "T-Bones", not the speeders going 5 over.

They get knocked down by the cops, or deer....... wink

The slow 'Little BIG men', cause multiple deaths. Then just drive on....."See, those speeders are dangerous"...."They're always crashing, all around ME".....brilliant "Blockers"..... rolleyes

Not your job to control traffic, or enforce traffic laws.
Just drive your own car, and try to keep a safe flow of traffic moving.
We'd all be better off.
Posted By: The Nephilim

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/04/16 05:17 AM

Well that is fine if you want to speed but they are people who usually #%&*$# the most when pulled over.. Fact is speed kills.. Most people cant handle the speed at a lower speed like for instance if you are doing 65 what is the distance you keep the car in front of you. I bet it is not 6 car lengths.. and if going 80 that would be 8 car lengths around 80feet..

Now I see people come speeding up my ass and I am doing the speed limit.. now the speeder behind me gets all frustrated and say why Don't I the slower driver pull over.. no I am in the center lane and exactly where I should be it is the speeders who are causing the issues..

I see it all the time and no I am not a little big man. if you think you are right well that is the problem.. Sorry Speed kills and that is that bye

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/04/16 10:04 AM

The problem is, speed tends only to kill the speeders. Speeders almost always get into single-car accidents, while people who impede the flow of traffic CAUSE accidents. They leave a road strewn with wreckage behind them. You say "well why doesn't everyone just slow down?" Everyone CAN'T just slow down, and if they did that same slow driver would STILL be putt-putting along in the left lane and going slower than the flow of traffic. And, why should everyone ELSE have to slow down to accommodate someone who won't or can't drive with the flow of traffic?
Posted By: Ronin_GE

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/04/16 10:38 AM

Originally Posted By: NH2112
The problem is, speed tends only to kill the speeders. Speeders almost always get into single-car accidents, while people who impede the flow of traffic CAUSE accidents. They leave a road strewn with wreckage behind them. You say "well why doesn't everyone just slow down?" Everyone CAN'T just slow down, and if they did that same slow driver would STILL be putt-putting along in the left lane and going slower than the flow of traffic. And, why should everyone ELSE have to slow down to accommodate someone who won't or can't drive with the flow of traffic?

Have to disagree in the strongest terms.
There are counteless cases of: speeder loses control of car and smashes into oncomming traffic. Or hit people on the sidewalk etc etc.
Too High speed (and I don't mean to high for the traffic laws, but stupid drivers driving to break the laws of physics) is one of the biggest killers on the road.
If they only off themselfes...Darwin is happy, but much to often they take others with them. If you can't stop your care within your line-of-sight, you're to fast.
Posted By: WileECoyote

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/04/16 03:19 PM

Blocking the entire road, just to drive under the speed limit, causes people to try to pass when maybe they shouldn't, that is the cause of most fatal accidents in rural areas. Head on collisions are fatal.

This one is particularly true. In the area where I live there are plenty of hills and curves so it's hard to find a good spot to pass someone... Low travelers cause people to loose their #%&*$# at some point. There's a limit to how many trucks/cars (usually trucks thou) can be tolerated at 50 on a steep hill when they should be doing 80.

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/04/16 06:50 PM

As far as speed goes, it's like I said before - it depends on the circumstances. I get the impression that some people think that if you drive at an arbitrarily chosen speed posted on a sign you'll suddenly be a safe driver, and they resent anyone who might feel otherwise. I know the speed limits are not chosen at random, but they are chosen with a worst-case scenario in mind so they are generally set below what can be a safe speed under better circumstances.

If you are going faster than conditions allow, you're dangerous, regardless of the speed. If you are driving in an irresponsible manner, you're dangerous, regardless of the speed. If you are following less than roughly 2 seconds behind the person in front of you, you're following too closely, regardless of speed.

I was driving on a highway yesterday and I don't think anyone was driving less than 10mph over the speed limit. Driving the speed limit under those circumstances would make you more dangerous, because now you're suddenly a hazard to navigation. And given that everyone was driving that fast, guess what? Not a single accident. That highway is like that every day, and the accident rate is no worse than anywhere else.

Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) - 09/06/16 03:49 PM

If speed kills, walk. I mean, every person who's ever traveled over 100mph is dead, right? All those people in race cars? And airplanes? All dead. Speed kills absolutely. There is no margin for discussion, this is an absolute truism. rolleyes

Do not drive. Walk. Leave the driving to people who are not deathly afraid of exceeding an arbitrary velocity.

The number of people killed in auto accidents who were not in a car is very, very low. It's very safe. Do that.

If you're the slowest person on the road, you should be in the slowest lane. If you're doing the speed limit and everyone else is going faster, you don't get some authority to slow people down. You don't have the authority to make someone going 20mph under the limit speed up, so why do you get to dictate others to slow down? Especially if you're hanging on to some arbitrary speed limit like it's the speed of light.

The law says X about following posted speed limits. The issue isn't that law, the issue is the mechanism that leads to that limit being picked for that road. The limits are arbitrary. They are not divine proclamations. They err, or else you wouldn't see them go up or down on a given road ever. Yet they are changed all the time. Around here, the highways work very well with the majority traveling in the 75-80 range...when it says 70. Only the old ones who can't see over the wheel, the oversized trucks, and those who think they're citizen highway patrol do 70.

If you go by "research" all it will prove is no speed limit should ever be over 15mph, so a head on collision can't be over 30 mph, which is the upper limit for safety.

At 15, it's easier and cheaper to bike.

The Jedi Master
© 2024 SimHQ Forums