homepage

The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed?

Posted By: F4UDash4

The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/25/16 06:58 PM

I know KFC has a bad reputation nowadays but I used to really like it. The last time I was in a KFC it was like no one even cared any longer.

But, if I can make it at home.....

KFC recipe revealed?
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/25/16 07:02 PM

KFC was good about 25 years ago before they went full blown multinational corporate and thus using the mass industrialized food preparation and logistical system.

When I want fried chicken I'll go to a local mom & pop place or Popeye's. At least the chicken at Popeye's still tastes like actual food.
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/25/16 07:05 PM

It's people isn't it?

KFC is made of people! skyisfalling

KFC is as good as where you find it. Never got a good piece on one of those KFC/Taco Bell locations. But if you are lucky enough to find a busy KFC only restaurant, it tends to still be pretty good.

I am more disappointed in their biscuits, though. They used to be so fluffy and buttery. Now they taste like dry cardboard.

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/25/16 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
KFC was good about 20 years ago before they went full blown multinational corporate and thus using the mass industrialized food preparation and logistical system.

Exactly. But if this recipe is authentic, or close to it, I'll make my own KFC at home, the way it used to be!

I wonder how you get "Extra Crispy"? wink
Posted By: vocatx

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/25/16 07:07 PM

We used to have a really good KFC in town, but the original owner died about 20 years ago and it ended up closing. (He was the originator of KFC's chicken tenders.) The nearest KFC now is 70 miles away. Recently I was near that KFC and stopped to buy some chicken. I had a craving for some 'original recipe'. It doesn't taste anything like I remembered. I probably won't be going back.

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/25/16 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna

I am more disappointed in their biscuits, though. They used to be so fluffy and buttery. Now they taste like dry cardboard.

The biscuits are a joke at KFC. I don't even think they qualify to be called "biscuits". Maybe they should be called hardened flour disks?
Posted By: Nixer

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/25/16 07:39 PM

I second PM's choice of Popeyes's. The only place I will buy fried chicken.
Posted By: Peally

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/25/16 07:45 PM

I wish we had one closer to my area, nearest one is in Milwaukee and it's hard to get a group of friends with rifles together to visit that craphole for a weekday chicken fix.

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/25/16 07:49 PM

The local choice for fried chicken is Bojangles. Very good and almost always is very fresh. Their biscuits are very good too.

https://www.bojangles.com/
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/26/16 01:57 AM

Anyone tried the recipe supposedly leaked? I've been looking for this recipe for a loong time.

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/26/16 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow
Anyone tried the recipe supposedly leaked? I've been looking for this recipe for a loong time.

I've not, but I intend to.
Posted By: Coot

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/26/16 04:56 AM

I heard a story that our local KFC was found to have rats getting into the grease pans or some such. I've never liked KFC that I know of. I love Popeyes. We have a Maryland Fried Chicken which USED to be good but the guy who ran it forever sold it and somehow they messed it up. I don't get it. Just follow the practices of the previous owner. Its like someone had an idea to fiddle with the recipe or process a little and it tastes like they aren't buying the best or freshest chicken. It used to be that even their day old chicken that you could buy for cheap was still tasty. This new owner or system they got messed it up.
Posted By: mailman

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/26/16 11:42 AM

I used to love KFC! Would eat it all day long if I could. However since starting my health binge I haven't had any KFC for getting on to 2 years 9 months now smile

Regards

Mailman
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/26/16 11:56 AM

Popeye's is the choice. And make sure you ask for a few packets of their Cajun Sparkle. You have to ask for it.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/26/16 12:44 PM

Bojangle's beats Popeye's, but not by much. Their biscuits can be a meal all by themselves. Church's comes in a close 3rd. KFC is just...I don't know WTF KFC is now LOL

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/26/16 01:13 PM

All of the Bojangles locations in South Florida closed several years ago but I agree that their chicken was quite good.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/26/16 04:05 PM

That looks like it might have been the recipe a loooooong time ago. These days KFC is loaded with MSG--chicken, greens, potatoes, everything is full of it.

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/26/16 04:34 PM

why is MSG considered so bad?

i wonder if the people who bash it know what the purpose actually is?

IMO it's not as bad as it's been made out to be, it basically intensifies existing flavors
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/26/16 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow
why is MSG considered so bad?

i wonder if the people who bash it know what the purpose actually is?

IMO it's not as bad as it's been made out to be, it basically intensifies existing flavors

Some of us are very sensitive to it. Myself, I get exceptionally dizzy and my mental facilities become very clouded. I know this because I used to get that way after eating certain foods and could never figure out why--eventually discovered they all had MSG in them.

Also, there is some data out there from some studies that have been done which show that MSG can cause over-stimulation of neurons leading to cell death. Whether this is true or not... who knows? Most of those studies suffer from confirmation bias.

I just know it makes me feel bad and know a few other people who have their own set of symptoms after being exposed to it.

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/27/16 02:35 AM

Quote:
KFC — which is a subsidiary of Yum Brands Inc. — calls its recipe "one of the biggest trade secrets in the world." It says that the recipe the reporter saw is not the real thing.

"Many people have made these claims over the years and no one has been accurate — this one isn't either," KFC said in a statement.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/2b3788a01...trending-topics
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/27/16 06:35 PM

My town has a KFC that still has an all you can eat buffet. I eat there about once or twice a month...and still love it. With the buffet I can get as much mashed potatoes and gravy as I want, and at the right times they bring fresh biscuits out that are still nice and fluffy. Our buffet even has chicken and dumplings, and there's usually either fresh warm bread pudding or peach cobbler for dessert. I still like their original recipe. Maybe my KFC is still one of the good ones...lol.

I do like Popeyes a lot, but there's only one in my area that's about 30 miles away. My KFC is about 5 miles away. Some of the mom n pop little country restaurants around here also has great home made fried chicken.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/28/16 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna
Quote:
KFC — which is a subsidiary of Yum Brands Inc. — calls its recipe "one of the biggest trade secrets in the world." It says that the recipe the reporter saw is not the real thing.

"Many people have made these claims over the years and no one has been accurate — this one isn't either," KFC said in a statement.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/2b3788a01...trending-topics

I wouldn't expect them to admit it was the right one under any circumstance.

Wheels
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/29/16 01:09 AM

It is a pity how far KFC's quality has dropped since my childhood. I'd say the same for Pizza Hut as well.
Posted By: Falstar

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/29/16 02:00 AM

I told my wife about the article. She said that was about half of it. She considers the big secret is the chicken gets soaked in a almost ice cold brine with other spices to complete the process.
She worked at a KFC in Oregon when she was in the 10th grade, that makes it about 1977. Her main job was to break the thigh so it would cook all the way through. To this day she hates thighs.
Posted By: Clydewinder

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/29/16 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Peally
I wish we had one closer to my area, nearest one is in Milwaukee and it's hard to get a group of friends with rifles together to visit that craphole for a weekday chicken fix.

there's one in Waukesha but their food is terrible. I went there 4-5 years ago for lunch because I used to work right down the street, i ended up throwing all of the food away because it was not edible.

went to a grocery store for a ramen noodle instead
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/29/16 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Falstar
I told my wife about the article. She said that was about half of it. She considers the big secret is the chicken gets soaked in a almost ice cold brine with other spices to complete the process.
She worked at a KFC in Oregon when she was in the 10th grade, that makes it about 1977. Her main job was to break the thigh so it would cook all the way through. To this day she hates thighs.

I'd just like to know...or maybe I don't want to know...

I like the wings. Nearly every wing I get has the middle part with the two bones...one bone is always broken. Weird.
Posted By: MarkG

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/29/16 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Weasel_Keeper
My town has a KFC that still has an all you can eat buffet. I eat there about once or twice a month...and still love it. With the buffet I can get as much mashed potatoes and gravy as I want, and at the right times they bring fresh biscuits out that are still nice and fluffy. Our buffet even has chicken and dumplings, and there's usually either fresh warm bread pudding or peach cobbler for dessert. I still like their original recipe. Maybe my KFC is still one of the good ones...lol.

I do like Popeyes a lot, but there's only one in my area that's about 30 miles away. My KFC is about 5 miles away. Some of the mom n pop little country restaurants around here also has great home made fried chicken.

Oooooh <reading this while eating the same ol' fruit topped cottage cheese for dinner>.

KFC Buffet on Buford Hwy Atlanta, north of interstate perimeter. I don't know if it's still there and still good, but I would get my monies worth and then some. It was SOOOOO good! I'd get each type of chicken (there were 3 or 4), mac and cheese, mashed potatoes and biscuits (as you described).

Now I want fried chicken and pizza, thanks SimHQ! frown
Posted By: Falstar

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/29/16 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Weasel_Keeper
Originally Posted By: Falstar

I'd just like to know...or maybe I don't want to know...

I like the wings. Nearly every wing I get has the middle part with the two bones...one bone is always broken. Weird.

Ok, you may or may not want to know...

Click to reveal..
When the chicken is butchered it has a hook through each wing between the bones to hang it. If the knives are dull, when the wings are cut, instead of a clean swipe, one of the bones gets broken.

Re: The Colonel's Secret Recipe Revealed? - 08/29/16 05:41 AM

nothing wrong with knowing where your food comes from and how it's processed. i figure if you can't handle the process of how it got on your plate you shouldn't be eating it
© 2024 SimHQ Forums