homepage

So what sparked your interest in WW2?

Posted By: DBond

So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 02:03 PM

For me it was the computer game Steel Panthers. At this point (1995), I knew little to nothing about WW2. I knew it had happened, but little else.

Then my older brother asked me to play against him in hot-seat Steel Panthers. This game was a crash course in WW2 hardware. I learned what a Hellcat was, what an 88 was. I learned about Churchills and Crusaders and Valentine tanks.

I figured out that an 88 Flak gun was deadly against those tanks. I remember a battle my brother and I fought after I had figured this out. I had my forces backed by a line of 88s and rubbed my hands gleefully considering my deadly trap that would crush his unwitting tanks. Then he sent over some bombers who destroyed my Flak guns and I was sad. And that's when I learned there is always a way to counter the enemy's moves. And my lifelong interest in tactics was born.

This fostered my interest in absorbing all of the knowledge I could so off I went to the local library. I remember the very first book I picked out was a collection of Ernie Pyle's dispatches from the front and I was hooked for life.

Now, 20 years later, I have hundreds of books and dozens of games and movies and I still cannot get enough, and there will always be more to learn.

So what sparked your interest? A game? A movie or a book? A relative who served?
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 02:28 PM

Listening to the adults talk about it when I was a young boy. I was born in 1953 so the people who lived it were still fresh from their experience.
Posted By: Wireman

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 02:29 PM

Family reunions. Listening to the stories from cousins at Anzio, D-day and the Bulge.
Posted By: Hunedog

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 03:20 PM

A very special lady named Edith Meredith.
She at the age of Fourteen repaired Hurri's
and Spits during the day and raised and fed
her brothers and sisters when she got home.

She was there from beginning to end all the
bombings V1's and 2's etc. A one person
history lesson IMHO.

When I met her I was a snot nosed 9 year old
she was our home maker for 5 years. I learned
more life lessons from her than all others combined,
a very special lady indeed.

runningdog
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 03:27 PM

Having a father that served in Army Air Corps, on Okinawa in '45. He was supposed to be a fighter pilot, but the Army washed out his whole class and said 'Y'all are mechanics now."

Dad, like most of the men I grew up around that served in WW2, did not talk about it.
So I developed a reading passion for all things WW2, and consumed every book or movie I could get on the subject growing up. I was surrounded by men that fought. Uncles, Dad's friends, my first bosses, etc.

My first boss (owner of the local theater) was a good friend of the family. He served as a Ma Duece gunner, and told me (few) stories of him in combat. Battle of the Bulge.

1939-1946 was a fascinating time. We went from single engine aircraft with fabric bodies and wires to hold the wings on to jet powered sleek aircraft! The scientific advances were incredible. The whole world changed.
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 03:38 PM

When I was growing up, back in the 60s, it was still a popular topic of discussion and in movies and TV shows, so that caught my interest, and when I got old enough to talk about it, my Dad shared some of his experiences from WWII as an aircraft mechanic in Italy, working on bombers.

From there I read more about it and like Bill pointed out, found all the rapid changes interesting, and later the way it shaped the world.
Posted By: Dart

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Wireman
Family reunions. Listening to the stories from cousins at Anzio, D-day and the Bulge.

Same, except it was great uncles, aunts, etc.

And probably from an entirely different perspective.

Click to reveal..

My Grandfather used to say "I was at Normandy, too. But I didn't get my feet wet or strain my neck looking up."
Posted By: oneeyeddog

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 04:13 PM

My Mother was a teenager living in Stolberg, a town outside of Aachen Germany during the War. She spoke little of her experiences until she was in her 80s. My Father was a career US Soldier, a Medic , who met my Mother while treating her for malnutrition. Therefore I've always had an interest in WW2 and considered myself, in a way, a 'byproduct'
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 04:18 PM

Junior High, read about the atrocities committed during WWII. This curiosity extended to my college years. Gaming widened my interest to the military aspect (strategy, military hardware, military culture, basic WWII history etc.)

Answering the question surprised me a bit. I realized that at an early age, I was already finding reasons to despise humanity.

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 04:31 PM

Interesting answers so far. I imagine, with the diverse membership here, that many of you live on or near the battlefields. I have to believe that would surely spark an interest in me. My grandfather was a battalion surgeon in Normandy, but sadly he passed when I was very young and I never got a chance to talk to him about his experiences which is a shame, or perhaps he wouldn't have wished to talk about it, especially to a child.
Posted By: RedToo

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
Listening to the adults talk about it when I was a young boy. I was born in 1953 so the people who lived it were still fresh from their experience.

Same here - except that I was born in 1956. One grandfather drove a Churchill tank through Holland after D-Day, an uncle was captured in North Africa. My other grandfather was at Jutland in WWI. One of my great grandfathers spent a full army career in India before WWI and was due to come out of the army in 1914, guess what happened, yes 1914-18 in France. He made it though - lucky fellow. His army nickname was 'Cushty' smile Both my parents were children during WWII, my dad was an evacuee, my mum stayed in Sheffield to help run the family shop, quite a few stories about being blitzed.

My WWII grandfather did tell me quite a few stories, looking back I wish I'd been more interested, he would have had a lot more to tell.

RedToo.
Posted By: JimK

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 04:55 PM

Visiting with family during the 60`s, all 5 of my uncles are WW2 vets. They would
often talk about battlefield experiences much to my mothers dismay. To graphic for
her. They were all wounded in one way or another. Oldest uncle wore a specialized
leg brace the rest of his life after nearly getting killed in a beach landing in the
Philippines. Shell landed on the guy next to him and fragments of the shell and bone
fragments from the guy it hit took him out. His right leg below the hip was nearly
tore off. Almost bled to death.

I miss them dearly now, they have all passed away. Only have one uncle left and he
survived a crash landing in a PBY that killed all of the rest of his crew. Need to
go see him before its to late.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 05:39 PM

I lived under a roof where we had my grandpa who was a WW2 veteran {French and later U.S. Army}, my grandma who experienced the war as a civilian, and an uncle who collected WW2 memorabilia.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 05:54 PM

Like most listening to family members talk about their experiences during the war. Mostly though, my Dad was into RC airplanes and I fell in love with the aircraft of the war.
Posted By: Bearcat99

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 06:41 PM

Mostly movies and TV.. Combat... 12 O'Clock high.. and model airplanes.. I read The Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich in the 6th grade and it was a wrap.. I read that book a few times as I got older and understood it better.. I always loved history.
Posted By: kaa

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 07:32 PM

When it's a natural fact for you to see your father put off his glass eye for the special hygiene of his orbit :-) and to see the ribbons on his suit lapel, you're sure more interested to the conflict in which he took part .
Posted By: brownba

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 07:47 PM

My grandfather served aboard the USS Belleau Wood during the war and his stories about the battles in the pacific, the kamikaze attack, the different types of aircraft on board is what got me interested.
USS Belleau Wood (CVL-24)
Posted By: FlashBurn

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 08:49 PM

Grandparents.. Mainly the one that was in Burma and later Korea. But my interest was at a vary young age. He was a history freak and I can not think of a time I did not know about it. But all your male and even your Mum either served or where vets its hard to not to get the curiosity when they say things in passing to one another. You know something was a big deal and want to know why. And then the snow ball right?
Posted By: KingKat2

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 09:07 PM

Like many here, I began to read through the encyclopedia available in school. When I found the WXYZ volume, it had a very detailed section about both world wars. I was immediately hooked. Also, television had programs called, Combat, and The Gallant Men. They were very well done, and the soldiers acted like they were in combat. The 60's, when I grew up, always had WW2 films being made. Like The Longest Day, The Battle of the Bulge, and The Battle of Britain. The series World at War was the crowning glory. Perhaps the finest documentary of the war.

It began my interest in history, especially military history.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 09:22 PM

I think when you reach an age where you realize it was only a few decades ago and that isn't a long time, really, whereas before it seemed like ancient history. And wondering why my grandfathers never spoke about it.
You reach an age where you can imagine things better and the emotion that must come from those events.

That's when the movies got watched, tried to see through the Hollywood some, but also enjoying them as heroic flicks.
Later, WWII was hugely popular in games, so it became interactive. Some more than others, but you start to appreciate how hard it is to outwit and defeat an enemy--and this was just in a friggin game with no real cost for a loss.
Posted By: semmern

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 09:26 PM

Being interested in airplanes from age 3, plane spotting with Dad, then building my first model kit, an Airfix Spit Mk.I in 1/72 scale. That led to me learning English by reading Flight International magazines, and then Robert Stanford-Tuck's biography "Fly For Your Life."
Posted By: Chucky

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 09:43 PM

Had to put a bit of thought into this.It must have been my early model-making days.No computers back then smile

Or was it the likes of the 'Commando' comics and 'Victor' etc?

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 10:29 PM

Three different but concurrent things sparked my intial interest in WW 2.

1. The first time I played the board game "Axis & Allies"

2. The 1:48 model I bought of a Panzer IVJ which included a model figure of Kurt "Panzer" Meyer.

3. The first time I watched "Das Boot".

I did all three of these things within the span of a year.
Posted By: bigbird

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/05/16 10:30 PM

For me it was PC gaming. My family is small and we did not live near my older relatives, so no history lessons there. I believe the interest started with European Air War back in the early 90's. It just really captivated my interest. After that and ever since, I played, read and watched my way through every WWII game, book and movie I could get my hands on. It must have been a tragic and heroic time to live.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/06/16 12:34 AM

Dad, and many uncles served in WW2 (8 grand uncles in WW1). Named after a family friend who did not return (RCAF MIA). Grew up with airplanes, military and civilian, taking off and landing over the house.

Favourite airplane > Mosquito because Dad carved a ~6" wingspan one from aluminum while serving.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/06/16 03:21 AM

World War II veterans around the table at every family gathering: My father, US Navy. My mothers oldest brother, US Army. My father's cousins Bertrand (US Army), Osborne (US Army), Arthur (US Navy). Bert was severely wounded in Italy, Arthur never came home, lost in sinking of USS Indianapolis. And my father's brothers in law Jack and A.C., both US Army.

"The War" was the centerpiece of many conversations whenever these men gathered. Even if it wasn't about WWII directly many other events in their lives were defined as "before The War" and "after The War", or "before I went in service" / "after I got out of service".

I had several school teachers in high school who were WWII veterans, my father had friends he worked with who were WWII vets and another who ran a country store we would hang out at, with even more WWII vets. Growing up in the 60's / 70's WWII veterans were everywhere.

They're all gone now.

My mother had a good friend she worked with who grew up in Germany during the war, she had stood within 10 feet of Hitler as he drove by in a parade.
Posted By: Falstar

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/06/16 04:16 AM

I would have to say TV and movies. Growing up, my dad was a John Wayne fan, so he'd let me stay up late and watch them if they were on late at night. TV wise there was "The Rat Patrol" and "Hogan's Heros". "The Great Escape", "Von Ryan's Express", etc. were also popular movies on tv Sunday afternoons.
Posted By: finlander

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/06/16 02:31 PM

Me, I always had an intense interest in WW2, especially air combat. I grew up in the 60s, my mom was a war bride, dad served in Europe and the Philippines. I read everything I could find, growing up and continued that into adulthood. I got my first computer in 95, mostly to get into flight sims. Started with Airwarrior and bought pretty much every one that came out. WW2 was still the recent past in the 60s, most every adult who wasn't too old served, so I knew a lot of war vets, most never talked about the war tho. I did know a P-51 pilot when I was a teenager, still kicking myself for not getting him to sit down and tell me his experiences. He was open to talk to me.
Posted By: CellDweller

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/06/16 09:17 PM

The Discovery Channel, particularly the original "Wings" series, which I watched religiously as a kid. My parents went on a vacation when I was little and got me a Pearl Harbor paper model kit which had a Zero, Val, and Kate model. I built those and read as much as I could find on the Pacific theater. A generous public library let me check out volumes on WWII and aviation in general and I consumed that more than anything else when I was a kid. I sometimes regret distracting myself from the subject through college and afterwards, as I now feel like I am only slightly more educated about the period than the average American.
Posted By: Mad Max

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/07/16 06:27 AM

I was born in 1945. Every adult male in my family was an ex-serviceman from either WW1 or WW2, some from both. We played in air-raid shelters and bombed out buildings and our toys were cast-off steel helmets and bits of uniform. Even clips of 303 ammo. There were hardly any real toys. I remember my favourite was a toy tommy gun made by men in my Mum's work as a present for me, constructed of steel piping and timber.

The War was very much a part of our young lives.

EDIT: I think I have a lot in common with F4UDash4.
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/07/16 07:38 AM

Family history.

My Grandfather was in the Army Air Corps as an aircraft mechanic at Hickam AF, Hawaii up to and including 7 Dec 1941. On the morning of 7 Dec 1941 as the alarms sounded, my grandfather sustained a shrapnel injury to his buttocks during the surprise attack by the Japanese that awoke the sleeping giant...

My grand father was awarded the Purple Heart for injuries received during the attack on Pearl Harbor.

My family interest and military history goes back to the US Revolution in the 1700s. My family military interest goes back 250 years to where my family has always played a part in every conflict/war since we became citizens of the new colony.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/07/16 10:57 AM

My father was in the home guard until he was released from protected service in the ship yard on the Clyde, after the release he joined the RAF and served at RAF Tangmere for the rest of the war.

My mother's uncle served in WW1 and was bayonetted through the arm and spent the rest of the war in a German POW camp, my mum's father served in WW1 too with the Cameron Highlanders, my other grandfather was too old for WW1 but he worked in a munitions factory in Alexandria.

Cousin George was an engineer and captured in Italy and spent some time in a POW camp, we were told not to ask him too many questions as he had a very bad time of it and his body had a lot of scars in it.

Uncle Arthur was a pilot in the RAF, he survived but died before I could meet him.

There was some talk from them about the war but I was a bit on the young side to grasp what was really being said.
But like Chucky The Victor and Commando were two of my favourite reads and one particular Commandow comic introduced me to my favourite aircraft, the Westland Whirlwind smile

This is cousin George the one with the X above his head

Posted By: komemiute

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/07/16 11:22 AM

My father has five huge books that explain the war from a very objective point of view.
Big as an A3 sheet, blue rough cover, many, many pages peppered with big scary images of the war, maps, statistics and so on.

Once I understood what war meant I was scared and attracted by it at the same time, so asking around I got quite some informations about parents and relatives.

Being Italian with a German wife you can easily guess most of my family history.
I'm not sure much of with would be too welcome, but more than ever- when I look at family pictures album- I just see people that went through very harsh times.

In any case, my father's father was an airplane mechanic in Spain first, with the Fascist volunteer and then Africa.
Regretted so much that eventually he left the regular army and went all Partisan in North Italy.
Survived to become a policeman. One of the gentlest person I ever met.
But a very strict father, I've been told.
Always categorically but gently refused to talk about any fighting done.

Mother's father was an Alpino like me in the ARMIR, wento to fight to Russia and eventually managed to come back by sheer luck and a sever case of frostbite.
Never wanted to talk about war either, he seemed frightened by whatever he went through.
Was an amazing, amazing shot, with the rifle.
Turned out a stunning Clay Pidgeon shooter (no birdshot, single ball) and a fearsome hunter.
Much after the war he had an Ictus and slowly lost himself.

My wife's paternal grandfather was a Pilot on the Western front- and despite wearing glasses he was highly considered for active service. Reading on his flightbook you can see several recommendations.
Survived the war with an amazing passion for engines- went all racing and achieved a lot.

Her maternal grandfather was SS. Don't know which.
IIRC something with many tanks- His diary speaks greatly about how he never acted SS and forced his soldiers to behave as a true Soldier and not a psycopath.
Yep. One of his pictures is hanging on the livingroom wall.

All of them now gently passed away.

Over and out.

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/07/16 11:47 AM

My best friend at school, Stuart, was the son of a captured/defected Messerschmitt test pilot, he defected during the war and ended up living in my home town after the war was over. He married a local girl and they had Stuart. We got a few tales from him, but again he did not like to speak about it.

I know my father just didn't like him at all, and Stuart was allowed to visit us on sufferance, I know Stuart's father was not welcome in our home.

Both mum and dad used to talk about the blitz that happened on Clydeside and that they lost friends during the bombing.

http://www.tommckendrick.com/code/blitzpage1.html

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/07/16 12:05 PM

All of my mom's side of the family was in Cuba during WWII and while my father's side of the family originally came from Sicily, they emigrated from Sicily to Puerto Rico sometime during the 1920's. So I'm fairly certain that I had no ancestors who were involved militarily with WWII.

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/07/16 12:15 PM

I should add to my previous post.

Veterans Land Act, http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/veterans-land-act/

Every street in the community but two (Claymor, Manaki) was named after a place where Canadians fought in WW2. The main streets being Normandy and Falaise. I grew up on Arnhem St.

There was some 300 houses+ built between 1945 and 1950 and occupied by veterans.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.3611309,-75.7036667,16z

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/07/16 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
All of my mom's side of the family was in Cuba during WWII and while my father's side of the family originally came from Sicily, they emigrated from Sicily to Puerto Rico sometime during the 1920's. So I'm fairly certain that I had no ancestors who were involved militarily with WWII.

Sicilians didn't fight for Italy during WW2?

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/07/16 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: KraziKanuK
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Sicilians didn't fight for Italy during WW2?

I guess you missed the part where I said my dad's family emigrated from Sicilty to Puerto Rico sometime during the 1920's? And by "dad's family" I mean everyone. Parents, siblings, first cousins, etc. I guess it's possible that some 2nd or 3rd cousin stayed behind but I'm not aware of any.

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/07/16 12:30 PM

I didn't miss that PM. So you meant extended family. smile

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/07/16 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: KraziKanuK
I didn't miss that PM. So you meant extended family. smile
Yes, that's a good point. I wasn't referring only to immediate family. Like I said before, I guess it's possible some far removed cousin could have fought in WWII but I have no knowledge of it.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/07/16 01:39 PM

Quote:

I was born in 1954. Nfld was still "new" to Canada and had very close ties to Britain. Folks still sent parcels to friends/relatives there who were still suffering the war's effects. Neighbours' dads served in the RN and a few in the British army. My dad was a cop until 1942 when he started working for the USAAF at the lend-lease base Ft. Pepperell. WW2 was everywhere. We had a strange mix of American and British because of the lend-lease bases.
Posted By: marko1231123

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/07/16 01:41 PM

Watching WW2 movies with my dad when I was young.
Then the world at war series even at a young age I found the series fascinating
The Russian campaign in particular fascinated me.

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/07/16 02:33 PM

Great posts in this thread. I suppose we all have relatives who served in one capacity or another. It makes the event, despite occurring more than 60 years ago, a personal thing even to this day. I also echo the comments about what an amazing period in history this was. I suppose most of us here are 40 or older, and I hope that the younger folks in the world take an interest, because they should know what happened, the sacrifices that were made. I don't see much of this. I know my nieces and nephews (teenagers all) have no clue. Every veterans day I post on my Facebook page the following quote:

They gave all of their tomorrows for our today.

It's important to remember, to honor those who served, on both sides of the war, as most were just men and women doing their duty.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/08/16 02:15 PM

Like any English boy of my G-G-generation, through comics as Chucky has illustrated such as 'War Picture Library', playing 'English v Jerries' in the school playground, and 'Airfix' kits.

My father lost his leg in N.Africa in 1943 (May 9th, a day before 'Jerry packed it in') and never talked about it until a few weeks afore his death. It seems a common thing with British vets that they don't talk about their experiences for some reason.

My father did get somewhat disturbed that I favoured building German Tanks and plane kits, and on a family holiday in France took me to the vast military cemeteries, and then to 'Struthof' KZ in Alsace to show me 'what your beloved Germans were really like'. The only reason for the preference for German vehicles were that the camo schemes were more interesting to paint!

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/08/16 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: BD-123

My father did get somewhat disturbed that I favoured building German Tanks and plane kits, and on a family holiday in France took me to the vast military cemeteries, and then to 'Struthof' KZ in Alsace to show me 'what your beloved Germans were really like'. The only reason for the preference for German vehicles were that the camo schemes were more interesting to paint!

I can certainly understand the difference in perspective and attitude when someone has had relatives who actually fought in the war and went through those hard and terrible times. In my case with me building German models when I was a kid, I had no relatives at all who fought in the war so there was no controversy.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/08/16 03:22 PM

LoL My dad and all his friends and relatives would not even drive Volkswagens for MANY years.
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/08/16 04:02 PM

Family stories from the French, British and German side of WWII. We are a mixed bunch in the family biggrin

Cheers,
Slug
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/08/16 09:28 PM

I really don't recall a time when I wasn't. I suppose my interest increased when I became a teenager and became more aware of it, but I grew up seeing WWII stuff on TV so I always knew about it and always watched it on and off.

My family on both sides fought in the war, and all involved shared a common thread--they never spoke about it. Other than my mother's father who loudly professed his dislike of Spam thanks to his time in France, none of them said one thing about any events there. My mother's uncle died in the Pacific on some destroyer or another, I don't recall which as my mother's mother died when I was 7 and I'd never thought to ask her.

As far as I know that's the only family member who was lost in the war, but again as so little of it was talked about maybe there were more.

The Jedi Master

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/09/16 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
My mother's uncle died in the Pacific on some destroyer or another, I don't recall which as my mother's mother died when I was 7 and I'd never thought to ask her.

Do you know his name?

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/09/16 08:58 AM

My father's cousin William (Bill) Short, was awarded the Red star for bravery by Russia and he wasn't allowed to get it until after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

He was on the convoys to Murmansk in 1942 when his ship, the SS Induna, was torpedoed and he ended up in the water then in an open boat for 4 days before being rescued. They never thought that Bill would survive, the Russian doctors pumped warm water into his stomach as there was ice forming in it, then they amputated his legs without anaesthetic one above the knee and the other below. He was 22 at the time and he lived until 2010.

SS Induna

Quote:
It is with deep sadness that I have just been informed of the death of Bill Short 29/12/10. Bill spent four days in an open boat in temperatures of –10. after his ship the SS Induna was sunk in 1942. After being rescued warm water had to be siphoned into his stomach as ice crystals had formed. He then had both legs amputated without anaesthetic due to frostbite. At the time he was just 22 years old.

Cargo ship Induna, 5,086grt, (Maclay & McIntyre) loaded with war materials and cased petrol at New York for the Russian port of Murmansk left Sydney, Cape Breton in the 35 ship Convoy SC-63 on the 3rd January 1942. 10 days out the after being hampered by severe storm, which forced ten ships to return to port, the Induna left the convoy and set course for Iceland where the ship would join up with the 21 ship Convoy PQ-13, sailing from Reykjavik on the 20th March. Three days later as the temperature dropped the convoy encountered a full arctic gale and during the evening of the 25th March, the Induna became detached from the convoy and as daylight approached, the ship was sailing all alone. Later on during the day, the ship encountered several more ships from the scattered remnants of PQ-13. By the 28th March, the weather subsided and apart from the occasional snow squall, the weather remained fairly clear. By the evening, the Induna had entered an ice field and took the escort vessel HMS Silja in tow who was running short of fuel as well as taking onboard sixteen survivors picked up from the SS Ballot by the escort ship. By the 29th, the weather once again blew up and the towline to the escort vessel parted and the Induna lost touch with the ship and had no choice to battle onto Murmansk. On the morning of the 30th March in rough seas North-East of the Kola Inlet a torpedo from U-376 detonated in number five hold containing the cased petrol and blew up setting the ship ablaze. The order to abandon ship was given and the lifeboats were launched as the ship settled by the stern. U-376 then fired a second torpedo which detonated in number 4 hold and the ship started to sink stern first with the bow rising high into the air the ship plummeted to the depths in position 70’ 55N 37’ 18N. The two lifeboats became separated and for four days, the survivors battled the seas in temperatures as low as –10 degrees, a number dying along the way and their bodies being committed to the deep. Finally, a Russian minesweeper found both lifeboats and the men finally arrived at Murmansk on the 3rd April where a number of men died from severe frostbite. Other survivors had to have limbs amputated without anaesthetic.

From here:
http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/crossed-the-bar/9714-crossed-bar.html

Bill still played football and had a car specially adapted for him to drive with his prosthetic limbs he was a great inspiration to us all. After the war he worked in the Royal Naval Torpedo factory in Alexandria which was something I always thought was ironic.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/09/16 11:09 AM

Your story really defines what those Merchant Marine sailors went through Allicat. Their bravery and endurance in the face of such terrible conditions only recently officially acknowledged here in GB I believe.
Though he suffered terribly he was one of the fortunate 24 survivors out of a complement of 60.
It was so cold that the HMS Trinidad was struck by her own torpedo when the guidance gyro froze.

Although as stated above my father suffered injury resulting in leg amputation 'up the Blue' as a RS despatch rider, he had originally tried to re-join the Merchant service on the outbreak of hostilities, only to be told; 'we would love to have you but we haven't got enough boats old boy'.

I wonder what the odds of him surviving the terrible attrition of the sea war would have been if he had been successful in his application.
Many of his former crew mates whom he sailed with on as a wireless telegraphist before being laid off in 1936 perished.

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/09/16 01:10 PM

There has been times when I've been really cold, so cold that the face mask I was wearing froze solid with my breath, but I cannot imagine what he went through, they said that there were 17 dead in the lifeboat he was in when they found him.

He had passed away before the merchant seamen on the Artic convoys got their recognition. He did feature on the TV when he went to Russia to get his medal so at least he got a little recognition for what he went through.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/10/16 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: F4UDash4
My mother's uncle died in the Pacific on some destroyer or another, I don't recall which as my mother's mother died when I was 7 and I'd never thought to ask her.

Do you know his name?

My mother might remember it. I don't even remember my grandmother's maiden name.

The Jedi Master

Re: So what sparked your interest in WW2? - 03/10/16 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: F4UDash4

Do you know his name?

My mother might remember it. I don't even remember my grandmother's maiden name.

The Jedi Master

With a name I am betting you could find info on his service history, probably even readily available online.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums