homepage

American Truck Simulator

Posted By: Bib4Tuna

American Truck Simulator - 01/27/16 08:41 PM

http://store.steampowered.com/app/270880/

Euro Truck Simulator 2 was one of those games I really tried to get into, but never took off with me, so I will pass on this.

Still, looks pretty decent.
Posted By: Peally

Re: American Truck Simulator - 01/27/16 08:56 PM

Time to break out my Elite Dangerous trucking gear. A gif for when you see bizarre lag and a song for the road:

Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: American Truck Simulator - 01/27/16 09:03 PM

Yeah, it better have a timed Coors run in there somewhere. I'd rather run block in the TA though. wink
That would be a GREAT Need for Speed co-op game.
Posted By: kludger

Re: American Truck Simulator - 01/27/16 09:48 PM

Cool looks like Euro Truck Simulator 2 came to the states... will add this to my wishlist to pickup in a future sale.

ETS2 is a good game to relax with sometimes.
Posted By: Legend

Re: American Truck Simulator - 01/28/16 02:04 AM

Posted By: TerribleTwo

Re: American Truck Simulator - 01/28/16 10:52 PM

It's amazing to me the popularity of these mundane "work" sims. Like street cleaner sim, truck sim, bus sim.. Perhaps all the unemployed folks want to know what it's like to work... Shrug....
Posted By: Brun

Re: American Truck Simulator - 01/28/16 11:03 PM

So it's like Euro Truck Simulator without the occasional novelty of changing which side of the road you drive on?
Posted By: Warbirds

Re: American Truck Simulator - 01/29/16 09:46 AM

Didn't see any classic long nose Macks or Kenneworths in the video so I guess no Smokey and the Bandit adventures.
Posted By: sharpe26

Re: American Truck Simulator - 01/29/16 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Yeah, it better have a timed Coors run in there somewhere. I'd rather run block in the TA though. wink
That would be a GREAT Need for Speed co-op game.

why can I see a modder doing something like that?
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: American Truck Simulator - 01/29/16 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: TerribleTwo
It's amazing to me the popularity of these mundane "work" sims. Like street cleaner sim, truck sim, bus sim.. Perhaps all the unemployed folks want to know what it's like to work... Shrug....

+1

I guess people have gotten bored of actual real sims like flight, racing and naval simulators?
Posted By: Security_Device_Enclosed

Re: American Truck Simulator - 01/29/16 12:40 PM

When it comes down to it flying airliners in MS Flight Simulator isn't really much different to Truck Sim.

Now if only we could strap some machine guns to our Mack ar15
Posted By: Stormtrooper

Re: American Truck Simulator - 01/29/16 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Security_Device_Enclosed
When it comes down to it flying airliners in MS Flight Simulator isn't really much different to Truck Sim.

Now if only we could strap some machine guns to our Mack ar15

ala Spy Hunter FTW!

Re: American Truck Simulator - 01/29/16 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Security_Device_Enclosed

I don't fly civilian flight sims at all. If it ain't got weapons and if I ain't knocking out enemy aircraft and/or ground vehicles then I don't play it.
Posted By: Stormtrooper

Re: American Truck Simulator - 01/29/16 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I don't fly civilian flight sims at all. If it ain't got weapons and if I ain't knocking out enemy aircraft and/or ground vehicles then I don't play it.

http://www.simhq.com/_air15/images/air_546a_004.jpg
Posted By: Archangel

Re: American Truck Simulator - 01/29/16 02:43 PM

I'll buy it when it goes on sale. I had more fun with ETS2 than I should have.
Posted By: Mudcat

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/02/16 03:42 PM

They announced they are going to release it later today, about a day ahead of schedule, which is nice smile
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/02/16 05:02 PM

I guess people have gotten bored of actual real sims like flight, racing and naval simulators?

I may try one of these truck "sims" at some point. And based on comments from others who play them, I think that the software is approachable within a time investment level that a great many people can afford. Sort of like some of the combat and flight simulation software of years past. Not something where I will be studying checklist for longer than the actual flight mission, then forgetting most of it by the time I sit down to play another mission in a weeks time.

Similar with racing sims. Once I got into racing simulations above a certain point, it was crushing. Hours of practice laps, fuel strategy planning, test races to verify fuel use rates... And I could not sustain it.

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/02/16 05:20 PM

I saw a review on it and I think it is better to wait for the summer sale, or in my case, winter sale.

The bad:

- Just two states in this release - California and Nevada.
- Just 2 trucks included. Others delayed due to licensing issues.
- Exactly the same interface as ETS2.

The good:
- Those 2 states alone are bigger than most European territories.
- New trucks will come out for free as DLC once the licensing issues are solved.
- They did capture the feeling on driving in a California/Nevada highway VERY well. Lots of details.
- Exactly the same interface as ETS2.

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/02/16 05:41 PM

Ah yes, nothing more exciting than driving through Nevada. How much desert and semi-desert can you stand to see?
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/02/16 06:23 PM

I must admit I do enjoy ETS2 from time to time. Stepping into my 700 HP Mercedes Benz truck, tuning the in-game radio to some country station and just...drive

I do miss a thermal imaging sight and a high-velocity gun but... it's strangely satisfying simply driving from A to B without causing an accident or getting a speed ticket.

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/02/16 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
I must admit I do enjoy ETS2 from time to time. Stepping into my 700 HP Mercedes Benz truck, tuning the in-game radio to some country station and just...drive

They have Country radio stations in Germany? dizzy

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/02/16 06:39 PM

Ah yes, nothing more exciting than driving through Nevada. How much desert and semi-desert can you stand to see?

Wait...

Aren't people all giggly about flying over Nevada in DCS World?
Posted By: Johan217

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/02/16 08:37 PM

It's called American Forces Network wink
Posted By: Charlie_SB

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/02/16 09:01 PM

I play truck simulator because it's a very nice way to unwind after a day at the office. I pop in a good record and go for a drive ... much as I would in real life if I had something interesting to drive and no family keeping me at home. Then you have the game elements which are basic but trigger the right emotions. I do want to upgrade my truck and I do like to have a garage business that grows.

-C-
Posted By: Coot

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/02/16 09:44 PM

I haven't tried it but I do like games like these if done well. I have Construction simulator which is relaxing and fun especially since many of the activities use physics and the vehicles are modeled nicely. They can be therapeutic games.

Spintires is also great because you get to roam about realistic mud and physics and drive through woods and pull yourself via winch across streams.
Posted By: Tigerwulf

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/02/16 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum

Of course they do. As does the rest of the world. Just as the US has techno radio stations and bangra radio stations.
Posted By: Coot

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/03/16 06:21 PM

Mudcat has a video that he posted of some gameplay in this. The desert scenery looks very good.

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/03/16 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Wait...

Aren't people all giggly about flying over Nevada in DCS World?

That's different, that's traditionally where badasses go to fly at extreme speeds and blow things into millions of pieces.

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/03/16 06:32 PM

Posted By: Mudcat

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/03/16 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Peally

heh, I was planning on recreating this when they release the Arizona map
Posted By: Brennus

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/03/16 11:07 PM

I'm in deep. Why? I dunno, maybe 'cuz we used to take a road trip at least twice a year when I was just a pup, driving from Michigan to Florida and stopping in almost every state along 75. There's also a business simulation under the hood that, while pretty basic, always gets "..one last job..." before bed. And I'm a sucker for loud machines...
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/04/16 09:18 AM

I'm pretty heavy into pinball simulation these days. Google "Virtua Pin" to get an idea of just how much.

A big rig simulator?

I'd hit it. Wouldn't PAY for it, but I'd hit it.

I doubt it's anything like most of our flightsims or my latest pinball simulation adventure but hey, a big rig is a respectable piece of complex equipment.

At least the equivalent of a C-172.

Do you all not forget or realize just how BORING it is to a "spectator" to watch someone playing a flight simulator?

And hey, this is SIM EFFING HQ!

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/10/16 08:02 PM

A demo was released:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/americantrucksimulator/announcements/detail/990033542754274678

A DEMO?!!?....what year is it?

Well done. thumbsup
Posted By: Warbirds

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/11/16 11:08 AM

Got the demo,,addicting game but looks like crap with a bad case of the wiggles in the distance even with dsr and 8x sparce grid supersampling.
Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/13/16 02:22 PM

I'm really enjoying this sim so far, but.

One thing that's peeing me off though is the damned retarder keeps sticking on and I end up crawling along at 17 mph.
I've tried googling it but although I'v found a few reports of others having the same problem with both ATS and ETS2 no definitive solution so far.
The only work around that's worked for me so far is to save the game and reload, far from ideal IMO.

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/13/16 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Warbirds
Got the demo,,addicting game but looks like crap with a bad case of the wiggles in the distance even with dsr and 8x sparce grid supersampling.

I assume your using Nvidea Inspector.
Make sure in the game options that "MLAA" is unticked and "Scaling" is set to 100%, anything higher seems to screw with the NI settings.

In NI try setting "Texture filtering LOD Bias (DX)" to -1.0000 and "Antialiasing compatibility" to one of the following
0x000010C5
0x080010C1
0x080012C1
I'm still experimenting but am currently using the last one.

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/13/16 06:22 PM

Is it just me, or does anyone else have the feeling too that the time to travel a certain distance in ATS is much shorter than in ETS2? Travelling between cities in ATS is a matter of minutes (real time), I would have expected it to take longer. I don't quite get the feeling of "being on the road" like in ETS2, and I find that disappointing.
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/13/16 06:32 PM

I read that ETS2 is something like 1:10 scaling for the maps, and in ATS it's a much smaller 1:32 or so.

Not played yet myself, but it seems short. The devs may be thinking about after a few more State DLC are released, then together they will chain into something a good deal longer.

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/13/16 07:12 PM

As adlabs said and I also read that time runs faster on the highways than elsewhere.
I haven't timed it to find out for myself though.

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/15/16 02:09 PM

Well I installed the demo only to find that performance was completely abysmal with SLI, typically <30fps even after reducing the resolution to 5760*1080. Newer drivers might help, but unfortunately nvidia have broken surround with the most recent ones which isn't particularly helpful.

However, having rediscovered my appetite for trucking I decided to reinstall ETS2. Was very surprised to find that it could be added to steam by simply activating the original SCS serial, decided to buy both expansions and got hooked again straight away. Figured out how to change the field of view to something more suitable for triple monitors and with TrackIR it's completely awesome.
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/15/16 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe

One thing that's peeing me off though is the damned retarder keeps sticking on and I end up crawling along at 17 mph.
I've tried googling it but although I'v found a few reports of others having the same problem with both ATS and ETS2 no definitive solution so far.
The only work around that's worked for me so far is to save the game and reload, far from ideal IMO.

You are probably hitting one of the retarder controls by accident, check your control mapping. 99.9% this is your problem. Many people set the retarder to their mouse scroll wheel.

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/15/16 11:31 PM

I'm going for maximum authenticity:

I don't know how they keep their eyes on the road.

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/16/16 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow
Originally Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe

You are probably hitting one of the retarder controls by accident, check your control mapping. 99.9% this is your problem. Many people set the retarder to their mouse scroll wheel.

From the little research I'v done its apparently a long standing bug that also affects ETS2 when using auto gearbox (I use real auto) and cruise control if you have auto retarder set in the options as I do.
If you have the cruise control engaged and hit the brakes the retarder can stick on (but not always).

I'v read that one of the fixes when it happens is to reduce or increase the retarder a couple of clicks and it should disengage, unfortunately that doesn't seem to work for me.

I'm getting round it ATM by either trying to remember to disengage the cruise control before braking or dabbing the throttle first to get it to disengage.
Of course some time I don't have time to think about doing that when the AI does something dumb, then its back to the save reload trick.

Oh well hopefully SCS will get round to fixing it some day, for now I'll live with it and try not to let it ruin an otherwise fun Sim for me.
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/16/16 05:58 AM

Why not change your transmission to sequential and then set the retarder controls to your scroll wheel or mouse buttons.

On my particular mouse I have lots of buttons but I've set it up so my downshifts are LMB, upshifts are RMB, retarder controlled by the scroll wheel, and turn lamps controlled by 2 additional buttons on the left side of the mouse. Engine brake controlled with the CTRL key.
Posted By: Vitesse

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/16/16 09:11 AM

Quote:
I'm going for maximum authenticity:

Haha

Re: American Truck Simulator - 02/16/16 03:34 PM

About halfway between Bakersfield and Barstow there is a motel. Be sure to check it out after dark biggrin
© 2024 SimHQ Forums