homepage

What was your major in college? (undergrad)

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 06:03 PM

Mine: Anthropology

Actual job field that I ended up in: Information Technology

Reason: I was tired of starving. biggrin
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 06:13 PM

Mechanical Engineering.......but I hated it and moved into Architectural Technology.
Posted By: Mudcat

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 06:32 PM

Philosophy, Economics
Posted By: David Kennard

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 06:37 PM

Not too far off . . .

Posted By: CG2015

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 06:38 PM

Undecided, something for a semester, Undecided, something else for another semester, Undecided... LOL!
Posted By: mugwump

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 06:42 PM

First time through: Geography and history. I ended up working as a land surveyor but couldn't land full-time work. Added a teaching certificate and spent the next 15 years overseas teaching English mostly but occasionally some science classes as well.

Second time through: Civil engineering.
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 06:55 PM

Electrical and Computer Engineering.

Took a break on the 4th year (5 year program) to do an internship. They offered me a job. Took me 10 years to come back and finish my degree. By that time, I was already burned out of engineering work, so I switched to Information Technology as my trade.

Pays much less, but better hours and I am the hero of the secretarial pool.
Posted By: Goblin

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Mine: Anthropology

Actual job field that I ended up in: Information Technology

Reason: I was tired of starving. biggrin

That's funny. Well, not really, but I worked with a guy who studied Anthropology and, when he was tired of starving, when back and got another degree in electrical engineering.

My undergrad started with Physics, ended up with Computer Engineering.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 06:59 PM

They used to call it CIS, Computer Information Systems. Don't know what they call it today. Back with the old punch cards, monochrome monitors, 9mm tape drives, etc. E-mail didn't exist.
Posted By: Goblin

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Electrical and Computer Engineering.

Took a break on the 4th year (5 year program) to do an internship. They offered me a job. Took me 10 years to come back and finish my degree. By that time, I was already burned out of engineering work, so I switched to Information Technology as my trade.

Pays much less, but better hours and I am the hero of the secretarial pool.

Wow. I wrote this and deleted it from my previous post: Now I'm in a corporate world that is choking the life out of the profession (my title and Master's degree is EE). I am seriously burning out, but I'm at an age (46) where I'm wondering if it's worth it to do something else or to just try to hold on. I could survive a pay cut...
Posted By: NavyNuke99

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 07:07 PM

Electrical Engineering, with a specialty in Renewable Energy Systems. Working to position myself into a niche in renewables and sustainability consulting and policy.

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 07:16 PM

Lots of engineers and IT techs on SimHQ.

I'm not surprised! smile
Posted By: Dart

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 07:21 PM

Chemistry.

But I was overloading with History classes so they made me a double major.

smile

Then I discovered the fact I was at a college with eight girls for every guy (and the possibilities of that) and failed out.

winner

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Dart
Then I discovered the fact I was at a college with eight girls for every guy (and the possibilities of that) and failed out.

winner
Which college was that if you don't mind me asking?
Posted By: NavyNuke99

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 07:39 PM

winner

There was a reason I only applied to schools that were veritable sausage fests.
Posted By: Bohemond

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 08:09 PM

Biology for 2 and a half years. Found out that if you party every night and not study, you do NOT pass organic chem and calc. Switched to History for second 2 and a half years. History major/ Bio minor.
Posted By: Airdrop01

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 08:20 PM

Political Science w/ minor in Russian...... Which is of course why I had to go to law school. A mistake my children will not make....
Posted By: Bohemond

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 08:41 PM

Dart,
The 6 female to 1 male ratio also helped me not bananadance
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 09:33 PM

BA Communication
Posted By: shan2

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 10:05 PM

Chemistry. Ended up working in pharmaceutical development (along with QC) and cancer research.
Posted By: Stormtrooper

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 10:23 PM

Computer Science Networks---unused zero experience
Posted By: toonces

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 10:38 PM

Biology.

I went into the Navy out of college and flew P-3s for 8 years, then transitioned into oceanography for the Navy. I'm actually looking at starting my PhD in marine biology next year, so picking biology has been pretty fortunate for me.
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 10:57 PM

Mechanical Engineering but spent about half of my working life as an IT guy.
Posted By: Nicholas Bell

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 11:26 PM

History (concentrate: Modern European)with a minor in German. 1981

Have spent the last 25 years as a commercial construction project manager. I'm not an engineer, but I play one at work.
Posted By: Rambler

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 11:36 PM

Industrial Design. Any fellow creatives out there?
Posted By: Dunolde

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 11:39 PM

Russian Lang. and lit. Spent 21 years as a letter carrier, with a very large, Eastern European, Russian speaking population on my mail route. Some, a few, were suicious of my Russian speaking ability. Most were just really happy to have an American with whom they could talk. Very warm and "human" people. I loved seeing them every day!
Posted By: Wireman

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 11:41 PM

Basket Weaving B.S.
Posted By: damson

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 11:47 PM

Chemistry.

But I was overloading with History classes so they made me a double major.

smile

winner

I'm Master of Science in Automatic Control Engineering and Robotics, we had 3 females for ~80 males on my year.

On the other hand Chemistry department had 10 times more females than males.

That's where I met my wife...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 11:56 PM

Biology then Math

not going to talk about my #%&*$# post grads, useless piece of #%&*$#. I could've attained the knowledge on my own. Proved this when I passed an exam with good grades having attended zero lecture hours on one module. Also skipped the last set of lectures on another class, looking back I should've skipped all classes. Can't believe I traveled for that.

Most difficult thing is that the experience lifted my brain's arrogance to celestial levels which I'm having a hard time managing right now.
Posted By: WileECoyote

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 11:59 PM

Systems Engineering (aka, computer science but hard), but I dropped when I got old and felt lika a drag in my parents economy (no time to work and study, although I tried for a year). Working as a software dev / quality engineer (whatever that means smile ).

Awful job at times, wonderful at others... I don't know, I sometimes feel I should have been a carpenter like my old man. Probably would have been earning more too. biggrin

Originally Posted By: damson
we had 3 females for ~80 males on my year.

Same here, we had like 300 guys and 20-30 girls... Still that way at work too, and the ones that are hot mostly work on the HR department or similar. frown

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, there are 13 females in my section of the office, 9 of which are quite nice actually. I should feel lucky I guess?
Posted By: saghen

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/15/15 11:59 PM

Started out going for Business Administration, briefly contemplated Computer Science and then finally deciding to graduate with a BS in Mechanical Engineering.
Posted By: bones

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 12:15 AM

Started out with aim to go into Aerospace Engineering but switched to Mechanical Engineering with specialty in Fluid Mechanics. Finished with BSME and EI.

v6,
boNes
Posted By: Chef

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 02:00 AM

History. Ended up in Healthcare IT. I could have made a lot more money in other areas of the country but I'll take a small town hospital in the Appalachian mountains over big bucks any day. I can't quite live in Deliverance country but its not far from it.

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 04:46 AM

Berry College in Rome, Georgia.

Part of the Southern Ivy League, if there is such a thing. For a small college it has a quiet reputation for solid academics and a low tolerance for shenanigans.

They have a program with Georgia Tech to where one goes three years to Berry, two at Tech and walk away with two Bachelors of Science in Engineering.

For a "liberal arts" college they have a shockingly high acceptance rate to veterinarian schools (which is harder to get into than medical school), as well as medical school itself.

Plus they have a huge amount of acreage, the world's largest free standing water wheel, and a girl's dorm building that looks like a castle.
Posted By: Paul Rix

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 05:32 AM

Y'all make me feel decidedly unedjimicated. wink.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 05:37 AM

Plus they have a huge amount of acreage, the world's largest free standing water wheel, and a girl's dorm building that looks like a castle.

... but was it built like a castle? biggrin

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 05:54 AM

Actually, it was.

Whole darned granite thing is a huge fallout shelter, if the signs are right (and in the 1980's one could still find Civil Defense barrels in the basement).

Henry Ford paid to have it built after visiting the college. Martha Berry could be very persuasive.
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 07:20 AM

Communication, minor in Mandarin.
Actually worked out well, if not perfect.

Cheers,
Slug
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 08:44 AM

Electrical Engineering, later Multi-disciplinary Engineering - Electronics with a smattering of mechanical engineering.

I achieved the highest marks ever scored in the College, don't know if that is still true or not, the son of a friend told me that I was held up as the star student in the Electronics dept., and the one to try and beat. I seem to remember as being a bit of a tearaway at college, being a long-haired, bearded, biker biggrin

Since I retired and moved abroad, this is the longest period of time I have not gone to some kind of school or training, I miss it a bit.

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 12:10 PM

Thanks for all of the posts so far. IT and Engineering definitely seem to be the top two fields on SimHQ.
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 01:18 PM

MA in Political Science, with European Union Law and American Cultural History as minors.

Ended up working in (online) marketing. reading screwy wink

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
and American Cultural History as minors.

So you would be an expert on the influence of Madonna, Coke and Doritos? biggrin
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 01:28 PM

History with a minor in Political Science.
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
and American Cultural History as minors.

So you would be an expert on the influence of Madonna, Coke and Doritos? biggrin

That's one of the two questions that always come up when I tell people about it. smile The other question is whether the title isn't an oxymoron. biggrin

Apparently the faculty got tired of these questions as well and now call the programs BA in North American Studies and MA in American History, Culture and Society.

Quote:
North American Studies offer fundamental insights into the social, cultural, literary, economic and political history and present of the USA and Canada. Graduates of this program are enabled to analyze social, political and cultural circumstances and developments with regard to current social conditions as well as their historical background. Students learn to consider the North American situation not in isolation but in relation to European and global circumstances. They gain scientific proficiency in areas of historiography and textual, social and cultural analysis that can be applied to all issues related to North America and can be implemented in respective fields of work: scholarship, education, media, economics, politics or cultural exchange.

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 01:54 PM

Apparently the faculty got tired of these questions as well and now call the programs BA in North American Studies and MA in American History, Culture and Society.

Quote:
North American Studies offer fundamental insights into the social, cultural, literary, economic and political history and present of the USA and Canada. Graduates of this program are enabled to analyze social, political and cultural circumstances and developments with regard to current social conditions as well as their historical background. Students learn to consider the North American situation not in isolation but in relation to European and global circumstances. They gain scientific proficiency in areas of historiography and textual, social and cultural analysis that can be applied to all issues related to North America and can be implemented in respective fields of work: scholarship, education, media, economics, politics or cultural exchange.

I would have really loved to have taken a course like that but for Germany but none were available at the university I went to.
Posted By: Gunslinger5577

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 01:57 PM

B.S. Mechanical Engineering

Past 15 years as a Flight Test / Certification Engineer.
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 03:02 PM

My original major was Computer Engineering which, I had hoped, would be an even split between the engineering and the coding. I did well the first year but noticed that the curriculum was basically electrical engineering with a couple coding classes grafted on. My first love was always coding and I wanted to do much more of it so I changed my major to Computer Science. I'm very happy I did.
Posted By: Fittop

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 04:09 PM

B.S. Engineering. Humanities major. It has kept me well balanced. Still took occasional continuing education classes until I became 70+.
Posted By: U-96

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/16/15 07:51 PM

BA, MA Modern History, 250AD-1968AD. Most options favoured the beginning of the range rather than the end biggrin

Ended up in fundraising/alumni relations, which I love because I get to meet great people and work with brilliant academics and students.
Posted By: Spidey

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/17/15 02:00 AM

Chemical Engineering. Liked it enough that I even went to grad school. Thought about academia but decided to join the industry because I liked making money.

Had to decide between petroleum industry, pharmaceutical, and beauty / personal care company when I finished back in 1998.

Decided to go with beauty care with P&G because I was set on doing more of a R&D job than a manufacturing type role. Spent 10 years there working on all kinds of new products for antiperspirants to makeup products. Now been at LOreal for 7 years working on Skincare products.

Its been an interesting ride so far. Probably would have made a lot more money working in petroleum industry though.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/17/15 02:22 AM

wink
Posted By: VMIalpha454

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/17/15 02:44 AM

B.A. History, minor in Latin.
Posted By: IceManHG

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/17/15 02:57 AM

AA in Digital Imaging.
Posted By: PFunk

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/17/15 03:54 AM

B.S., Animal Agriculture from Tarleton State University.

I am a bona fide hick.
Posted By: Gromit

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/17/15 04:30 AM

BS, Health Services Management
AA, Allied Health Sciences
AA, Criminal Justice
Posted By: JimK

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/17/15 04:32 AM

Aviation Management, bailed out 2nd year to help out my dying father,mother did not drive.
Never went back after Dad died. Got married and moved here. Been on the job ever since and
its more like prison then anything. Going on 22 years.

Looking at the field now, would need to major in Politics to get anywhere in it.
Posted By: Brun

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/17/15 11:35 AM

BA Design - Technical Illustration

That was all pencils and airbrush, now I'm all polygons and pixels.

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/17/15 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: PFunk
B.S., Animal Agriculture from Tarleton State University.

I am a bona fide hick.
A well educated hick at least. biggrin
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: What was your major in college? (undergrad) - 12/17/15 03:34 PM

Psychology.
When I went back, Computer Network Technology, but an AAS.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums