homepage

Sausage Rolls

Posted By: Meatsheild

Sausage Rolls - 11/06/15 10:24 PM

so .. according to some new outlets this side of the pond, america has only just found out about these. Now my main question, is it true? have americans as a whole never heard of sausage rolls before? dizzy
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/06/15 10:43 PM

Never heard of them until now. Having looked them up, they sound good though. smile
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/06/15 10:47 PM

Do you know about Cabbage Rolls and Coffee (mmm mmm good)?
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/06/15 10:52 PM

Proper cabbage rolls are awesome.
Posted By: Rambler

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/06/15 11:55 PM

You can find them here, but it's not too common. They're usually found at specialty pubs/restaurants, like the British pub down the street from where I work. They serve sausage rolls along with other Brit pub food. So yeah, since they aren't encountered too often, I can see where a lot of people over here wouldn't know what they are.
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/07/15 12:11 AM

I've not encountered these. Yet.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/07/15 12:21 AM

Are they similar to sausage biscuits? smile
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/07/15 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Are they similar to sausage biscuits? smile

I make them occasionally using scone dough.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/07/15 01:05 AM

I tend to avoid them nowadays,especially supermarket ones.They have some right grotty ingredients in them.I used to buy all home-made ones from a butcher until he closed up.My sister makes some excellent home cooked ones but only usually at xmas.

Woo! it's xmas soon readytoeat
Posted By: Dart

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/07/15 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Meatsheild
so .. according to some new outlets this side of the pond, america has only just found out about these. Now my main question, is it true? have americans as a whole never heard of sausage rolls before? dizzy

Um, we call them "pigs in a blanket," which is why Britlanders probably got dumb looks when asked about sausage rolls.

We also have parts of buildings that we live in but don't own, paying rent each month instead of a mortgage. We call them apartments. Those on upper floors are accessed by elevators.

So please tell your reporters that finding out that we don't have flats or lifts isn't really a discovery at all.
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/07/15 06:13 AM

I've heard of them. I suppose they're not too common here, but you can't find a mall that doesn't sell hotdogs wrapped in pretzels/bagels which is similar. Aren't they rather common in Canada?
Posted By: PV1

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/07/15 06:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Flogger23m
Aren't they rather common in Canada?

Yup, under either name piggies/rolls. Usually in the deli section
of the grocery store.
Posted By: Tigerwulf

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/07/15 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Dart

Um, we call them "pigs in a blanket," which is why Britlanders probably got dumb looks when asked about sausage rolls.

We also have parts of buildings that we live in but don't own, paying rent each month instead of a mortgage. We call them apartments. Those on upper floors are accessed by elevators.

So please tell your reporters that finding out that we don't have flats or lifts isn't really a discovery at all.

We have pigs in blankets but they are cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon. Usually eaten as part of christmas dinner smile
Posted By: CG2015

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/07/15 06:53 AM

Here we have Kolaches and Corn Dogs?

About the same thing as sausage rolls?
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/07/15 06:57 AM

Originally Posted By: PV1
Originally Posted By: Flogger23m
Aren't they rather common in Canada?

Yup, under either name piggies/rolls. Usually in the deli section
of the grocery store.

When I was there everyone called them sausage rolls.

Originally Posted By: CG2015
Here we have Kolaches and Corn Dogs?

About the same thing as sausage rolls?

No to corn dogs, which are fried and have a very different taste. Sausage rolls are much more like pastries. Similar to "pigs in a blanket" although the sausage tastes more like a breakfast sausage and they can be meal size. I suppose the sausage type varies. Although I've seen some which are more bun like.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/07/15 10:54 AM

Chucky, if you ever get to Pershore market, the bakery stall there does a mean sausage roll.
I treat myself to one every Friday (oh! what a wild life I lead!)

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/07/15 11:06 AM

I'll have to check that out,thanks.I do miss my sos rolls.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/07/15 12:33 PM

One the advantages of living in North Atlantic between the UK and mainland North America is that we get most of the food from both sides biggrin
Posted By: mugwump

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/07/15 02:07 PM

The British deli near my place in Van had awesome sausage rolls up until last summer when a new owner took over. He's a bit of a zealot and pushes the idea of ethical food and the 100 mile diet.

There's nothing ethical about serving his sausage rolls to unsuspecting customers. God awful. The "sausage" is largely breading and if you aren't careful, you might accidentally order a lentil based one.

Still haven't been able to find a suitable replacement. The other British deli shop nearby doesn't make a very good roll. The pastry is overly chewy in some parts and very hard and dense along the bottom edges. Don't really care for her sausage recipe either. It's got an odd texture to it and the flavour is more akin to bovril than a sausage.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/07/15 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Chucky
I tend to avoid them nowadays,especially supermarket ones.

Ugh the supermarket ones... After watching Conan's rant on instant noodle cup I swore to never eat instant noodles when I took my postgrad. Little did I know, the rolls would creep up to replace it.

Thus, supermarket sausage rolls is to me what instant noodles is to Conan.

Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/08/15 02:00 PM

A good few years ago I had to do a job in the Ginsters factory in Cornwall, while we waited for it to get dark we were entertained in the canteen which served a range of Ginster's pasties, they were surprisingly good, far better than the stuff they sell in the supermarket and petrol stations.
Their Cornish Pastie was rather good smile

Ginster being a food factory that makes all sorts of meat filled pasty
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/08/15 06:51 PM

That was some canteen! The pasties on the boobies was food?
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/08/15 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Dart

And there you have it. Using the small ones being most common, but we also use hot dogs or sausages in crescent roll dough.
I like those Sister Shubert ones in dinner rolls too.
Posted By: Comrade_Hedgehog

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/08/15 10:35 PM

Dammitt, Now I'm hungry!

Thanks Guys...

sigh
Posted By: Darklight

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/10/15 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Alicatt
A good few years ago I had to do a job in the Ginsters factory in Cornwall, while we waited for it to get dark we were entertained in the canteen which served a range of Ginster's pasties, they were surprisingly good, far better than the stuff they sell in the supermarket and petrol stations.
Their Cornish Pastie was rather good smile

Ginster being a food factory that makes all sorts of meat filled pasty

Ginsters Pasties are the spawn of the devil, they taste like they contain rotten onions & pretty much nothing else. The Ginsters factory is in Cornwall, and (I'd imagine) staffed by Cornish people. Cornish people (being raised on a diet of the finest pastys known to humanity) wouldn't put up with eating this crap for lunch, so I'd imagine they'd get proper pastys into their canteen.

I may be wrong there, but I do know a Cornish man would *never* eat a Ginsters pasty on purpose. More than once.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/10/15 04:45 AM

I've had pastries and snack food in a factory break room, and it's way better than what one gets off the shelf of a gas station.

That's the difference between freshly baked and stored in a plastic bag under flourescent lights for two weeks.

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/10/15 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Darklight
Cornish people (being raised on a diet of the finest pastys known to humanity) wouldn't put up with eating this crap for lunch, so I'd imagine they'd get proper pastys into their canteen.

I may be wrong there, but I do know a Cornish man would *never* eat a Ginsters pasty on purpose. More than once.

I wouldn't buy one twice out of a shop either - not willingly smile The ones in the canteen were very good and very tasty.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/10/15 12:05 PM

Is Cornwall where corned beef hash came from? exitstageleft
Posted By: 3instein

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/10/15 12:35 PM

What about square sausage, is this just a Scottish thing?

I love my square sausage over those mystery bags (links) any day. Every time we went to the Isle of Mann to visit the in-laws I had to take a few blocks for my father in-law as they didn't sell them there, also couldn't get them in England, maybe just a Sottish delicacy, but man they are good. smile

Mick. smile

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/11/15 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By: 3instein
What about square sausage, is this just a Scottish thing?

Mick. smile

Yup it is a Scottish thing, not found it anywhere else. Now a variation of the square sausage is Aberdeen sausage which is very tasty, hmmm not made it in a long while ... must try it out on the family here biggrin

Recipe:

Aberdeen Sausage
1lb minced beef
1lb minced streaky bacon
8oz rolled oats
4teaspoons Worcester sauce
1 fine chopped onion
pinch of mixed herbs
salt & pepper to taste
2 eggs well beaten
4 tablespoons meat stock

Combine all ingredients and put in a loaf tin

Bake in a moderate oven, 350°f, for 1 1/2 hours

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/11/15 10:18 AM

That sounds really tasty Alicatt, I do love ma square sausage. I am not good at cooking but I will pass this onto my son who is, will let you know how it goes.

Do you just mix it all at the same time and bung in the oven?

Mick. smile

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/11/15 10:27 AM

yep, that simple.

It was a presenter on Grampian TV that gave out his favourite sausage recipe during the signing off for the night, yeah that long ago when TV stations shut down for the night smile

"Have a ginger peachy night" was his tag line biggrin

Edit: it was David Bennett

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Ginger+pea......-a0142766841

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/11/15 10:37 AM

Thanks Alicatt, I may actually try it myself as it doesn't look to difficult, but sounds real tasty.

"Have a ginger peachy night" I wonder where that came from? Never heard that before.

Mick. smile

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/11/15 11:20 AM

Don't know where it came from, but he always used it when signing off, never heard it since, other than when mum was teasing me wink

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/11/15 11:35 AM

Scotland has the highest percentage of people with red hair in the world,maybe it's something to do with that?
Posted By: DrZebra

Re: Sausage Rolls - 11/11/15 12:04 PM

WURSTCROISSANT the epitome of french-german partnership!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums