homepage

Life change...checking in.

Posted By: Magnum

Life change...checking in. - 09/27/15 01:38 PM

Not that I really game that much here anymore, but I still do game once in a while. Maybe with this new life change, I'll be home in the evening/nights, so I can get back into gaming with some of you old timers.

After 30 years on mid-night shift, dealing with drunks and crack hoes starting this Wednesday I'll be finishing my career in law enforcement in the sun and on the waters of Naples, Florida dealing with drunk boaters and sexy collage girls in bikini's lol... as a Marine (boat) officer. Now unfortunately I know nothing what so ever about boating, but how hard can it be. wink

I can officially retire on 4/1/16 but since I got this position, think I'll enter the drop and stay an extra year or two, till I get tired of it. wink

Because of my past schedule of midnight shift 90% of my gaming was in the day... but now, once I'm done training. I work Sun-Wed 8 AM to 6 PM... so off every evening/night and off Thu/Fri/Sat... what a change. wink Hopefully this change will help me get back in a more healthy and slimmer life style. 30 years of mids has not been kind to this old body.

SO... hopefully, look for me again on TS for some SB or ArmA3 or whatever action in the near future. wink or on my XB1 for tons of other games. wink

See u. wink
Posted By: marko1231123

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/27/15 01:46 PM

Are you getting a bad ass power boat to police the waters.
Very cool if you are think Miami vice. loL
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/27/15 01:50 PM

There are more drunk boaters than drivers. But not as dangerous.

Be gentle on the booze cruise, unless they are dangerous or a real nuisance.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/27/15 02:02 PM

Oh, thank goodness it's a career change.

You would make an even more unattractive woman that I would.

Seriously, congratulations! About time you changed things up with some, well, not downshifting, but a different pace and set of problems. Hats off for doing the job that long and not absolutely hating every person on the planet (if all I ever saw was people at their absolute worst I'd be a bitter, disillusioned, cranky old man).
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/27/15 02:09 PM

I worked many years on the graveyard shift and now have trouble sleeping at night. At 11PM the eyes are closing but once midnight arrives, wide awake.
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/27/15 03:15 PM

Hey, once you learn about boating let me know when you retire . . . I have this shrimp boat and an idea for a business. smile

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/27/15 03:54 PM

OK Forestt... wink

Trust me, I won't be a D... I told them I'm taking the position to go out peacefully, not harass people... will do my job but not there to ruin peoples day/fun... they do that to themselves.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/27/15 04:17 PM

Sounds like a great change to me!
Wasn't Bruce Willis an officer like that? Striking Distance I think, with a younger Sarah Jessica Parker.
This may put you in the mood for a fishing boat when you do retire. wink
Posted By: kludger

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/27/15 06:03 PM

Good to hear about the change of shift and scenery Magnum, congrats on nearing retirement.

If you're up for gaming on the evenings, take a look on TeamSpeak, usually around 10:30p ET there's a few of us who do MWO on Thursdays playing other games the other nights of the week we play other stuff on the MWO2 channel (World of Warships recently).
Posted By: Vitesse

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/27/15 07:33 PM

Congrats on the change, Magnum.

You forgot something though, what boats do you get to use and how big are the motors?

Don't forget the killcord!
Posted By: Brennus

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/27/15 08:32 PM

Unrelated, but we've been watching 'Dexter' lately, which is set in Miami Florida, and I can't help but look for Magnums ugly mug (no offense Mags, I know your beautiful on the inside) whenever they show a crime scene. I know he's in Naples, but I can't help it.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/28/15 08:48 AM

Magnum, a Water Rat ! That's what they call the boatie cops down here and not in a bad way smile Enjoy your change of pace mate and good luck ya landlubber !
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/28/15 10:04 AM

Getting paid to run around Florida's beaches on a powerboat...

I have the wrong job.

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/28/15 10:12 AM

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st

I have the wrong job.

It is not all

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/28/15 11:01 AM

Will Magnum get his own reality show now? They could call it "Gulf Cops!"
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/28/15 12:04 PM

Magnum has become the Daywalker! eek
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/28/15 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st

I have the wrong job.

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/28/15 12:06 PM

unfortunately Naples, is more like the 2nd pic except during spring break time.

and Magnum don't plan on being to active in his new position... I'm there to do a job, a easy job in Naples, FL... but mostly get healthy, lose some weight, and get my body back to normal life after 30 yrs on mids. and if and when I do get tired of it all, hopefully before skin cancer sets in, I can retire at anytime, 2 weeks notice. wink

thx for the well wishes. Hope to see you online in the evenings, after training.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/28/15 12:08 PM

Quote:
drunk boaters and sexy collage girls in bikini's

Just another day at the office biggrin I hope it goes VERY well sir ! smile

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/28/15 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Magnum
thx for the well wishes. Hope to see you online in the evenings, after training.

Does this mean you will be returning to ArmA military Mondays?
Posted By: marko1231123

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/28/15 12:17 PM

Hay magnum don't try the pit maneuver in a speed boat it wont end well.lol
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/28/15 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: KraziKanuK

eek2

Posted By: kludger

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/28/15 03:59 PM

unfortunately Naples, is more like the 2nd pic except during spring break time.
and Magnum don't plan on being to active in his new position... I'm there to do a job, a easy job in Naples, FL... but mostly get healthy, lose some weight, and get my body back to normal life after 30 yrs on mids. and if and when I do get tired of it all, hopefully before skin cancer sets in, I can retire at anytime, 2 weeks notice. wink

Yeah, just don't get in more trouble Magnum, I remember on The Wire when McNulty was demoted and re-assigned to the Baltimore PD marine unit, he ended up finding a floating body and all kinds of new trouble biggrin

Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/28/15 06:03 PM

My father-in-law had a longtime friend that took a similar career path. USN to LEO to Marine LEO to retirement. He passed away earlier this year, but he definitely enjoyed returning to the water after something like 20 years on land.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Legend

Re: Life change...checking in. - 09/29/15 03:25 AM

Congrats, Magnum! May Spring Break be extended till October for your last years on the job!
Posted By: PV1

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/01/15 09:19 AM

Until the susceptibility to sea sickness is revealed... rolleyes
Posted By: Murphy

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/01/15 01:03 PM

Never a bad idea to have a back-up pension, and some extra cash stashed away.
If you haven't lost all faith in the species already.

We're still sweeping up;

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/mi-rep-tinsleytalabi-linked-to-city-hall-corruption-case/35587390

Just don't know what the future will hold.
That extra cash, or some gold coins, may come in handy.
Things are sure changing.

Sounds like a good job, stay safe.
Enjoy it while you can. smile
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/01/15 03:41 PM

This is what my brother drove down in Key Largo for a bunch of years. Even boarded Vanilla Ice...

Posted By: Stratos

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/01/15 04:04 PM

Congrats Magnum and good luck!

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/01/15 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Top Gun
This is what my brother drove down in Key Largo for a bunch of years. Even boarded Vanilla Ice...

That would've been enough to make most men retire...

The Jedi Master

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/01/15 05:52 PM

"boarded Vanilla Ice" - Sounds a bit kinky. biggrin

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/01/15 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
"boarded Vanilla Ice" - Sounds a bit kinky. biggrin

lol, he had plenty of Hoes on board of course, brother said he looked nervous but wasn't a dick. I also met him down there was at Holiday Isle during a jet ski race. Have a picture of him and my back then GF. This was way back in the early 90s

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/01/15 07:01 PM

This was way back in the early 90s
It was most likely 1990 or 1991. His fame didn't last past 1991.
Posted By: ForSquirrels

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/01/15 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
This was way back in the early 90s
It was most likely 1990 or 1991. His fame didn't last past 1991.

Still famous, just not A lister anymore.

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/01/15 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: ForSquirrels
just not A lister anymore.

Yes, he's more famous than you or me. I'll give him that much. smile
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/01/15 11:41 PM

Still remember Rob"s melt down on The Surreal Life.

Congrats on the career adjustment Magnum. cool

Wheels

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/04/15 09:37 PM

1 week down... going good, easy job and the boating is coming along just find. I got all the basics down now just need to practice mostly docking with high winds and/or currents and especially pulling up along a violator... the hardest and most scary thing to do because citizens want to help and keep drive or moving their boats while your trying to line up... then they put their arms out to grab your boat, bad idea could get hand/arm broken. So I simple yell to them, stop motor, stay still keep arms inside I will maneuver to you. wink

This is Naples, FL... mostly canals and bays... only 12 miles long, 4 miles wide... so nothing to big, just a 23 footer with twin 250's.

My assigned boat... my officer for a minimum of 6 months to a max of 5 years...all my choice in time. wink

The boating part isn't the hardest part of my new job... it's my body trying to sleep, when to eat...even when to... well you know. wink in time, will be all normal routine.
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/04/15 10:01 PM

Nice Mag, hope you enjoy it!

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/06/15 08:06 PM

that's a nice ride MAG, do you have to go out in crappy weather as well?
Posted By: Vitesse

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/06/15 08:21 PM

Quote:
so nothing to big, just a 23 footer

So speed at WOT (wide open throttle) somewhere around 45-50mph? More?

100 gal fuel tank?

Fun times! I hope you enjoy the work Magnum.

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/06/15 10:35 PM

Thx... yes, bad weather is the most popular time to be dispatched, but if tooo bad we can decline and call the Coast Guard, they can handle it better.

Was told 60 is the top but I haven't been brave enough to top 45 yet.... and 150 gallons.

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/06/15 10:51 PM

My old 13' Checkmate with 75hp Johnson would do 65mph.

Yes, don't want to go to fast tho,

boat name: "Temporary Insanity"
Posted By: JimK

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/06/15 11:09 PM

Nice boat Chuck, that boat is not designed for offshore in anything more then 2ft.
Canals would be fun. but not if your dealing with idiots. They are everywhere, I am
sure you know more about that then me.

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/06/15 11:18 PM

If one can go fast enough Jim one skips from wave top to wave top.
Posted By: JimK

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/07/15 01:05 AM

If one can go fast enough Jim one skips from wave top to wave top.

So true, been there and done that, till a gust of wind hit and the waves changed direction.
We were on a large lake in northern MN and you can`t see across it. Severe thunderstorm
chased us off and we went right into it to get back the marina. We about sunk when it happened.
Bilge pump could not keep up and we had 2ft of water in the boat. Fuel tank floating and
we were saying our prayers when the waves overtook us. 6 to 8 ft short sea waves are deadly.
we barely made it into the marina before it sunk in the channel. We had to swim to the dock
and wait for help. Lightning crashing all around and winds gusting to 80mph. Scared the crap
out of me. Have never been out in smaller boat like in big water ever again.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/07/15 01:24 AM

I found the transition from 3rd shift (2300-0700) kind of weird, and had to really buckle down and force my body into another rhythm. Night shift people are born, not made, and anyone who's done it for an extended period find it hard to revert.

Gotta treat it like jet lag, and force yourself to go to bed at a hard time (mine is midnight), if not earlier, and a hard wake up time, even when not working. Took me about a month, to be honest, and sometimes I find myself really waking up and rallying about 2200 hours...which is okay - I just ride it out and then get up at 0800, regardless of how little sleep I get.

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/07/15 01:42 PM

My old 13' Checkmate with 75hp Johnson would do 65mph.

Yes, don't want to go to fast tho,

boat name: "Temporary Insanity"

Actually it says "II" after that, so the first one probably met a similar fate...

The Jedi Master

Re: Life change...checking in. - 10/07/15 02:25 PM

Thx... yes, bad weather is the most popular time to be dispatched, but if tooo bad we can decline and call the Coast Guard, they can handle it better.

Was told 60 is the top but I haven't been brave enough to top 45 yet.... and 150 gallons.

my younger brother ran the 45' USCG boats out of Braidenton, his knees took such a beating it was part of the reason he left the coast guard. Take care of those knees!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums