homepage

How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day?

Posted By: Linebacker

How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 04:54 AM

Just curious ...
Posted By: Force10

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 06:13 AM

I selected 6 even though it's more like 5 1/2 about 50% of the time.

The reason I skimp on sleep is not because I'm not tired...it's because there isn't enough hours in the day. I work long shifts often, anywhere from 11-15 hours and in May I worked 35 days straight without a day off.

I just can't come home from work and go right to sleep only so I can wake up in the a.m. and do it all over again. I need a little "me" time to de-compress a bit and spend some awake time at home. My only option is to cut in on my sleep time.

That's the American way I guess. The days of 8-8-8 (8 hours work, 8 hours play & 8 hours sleep) are long gone for most of us trying to make it.

smile
Posted By: Legend

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 06:38 AM

When in Shanghai I need at least one - one and a half hour more sleep than when back in the Netherlands. Probably because Shanghai is always so busy, tiring, and noisy - even at night.
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 06:55 AM

around 4 if i'm lucky.

the number of things needed to be crammed into a day seems to multiply when you live in tokyo. sleep becomes a low priority. blah.
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 08:22 AM

7 hours. 6 is still OK. 8 would be great.
Posted By: CG2015

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 08:23 AM

5 if I am lucky.
Posted By: Stormtrooper

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 09:14 AM

5 if I'm lucky too.

Bed around 10am up by 4pm at work around 10pm
Posted By: Meatsheild

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 09:16 AM

i aim for about 6-7 hours, sometimes get more, sometimes get less.
Posted By: Corktip 14

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 09:33 AM

Around 6 usually. Found out the problem is not how many hours I got, but more about when I go to sleep. I wish I'd have time to go to bed before midnight every day.
Posted By: jens198

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 10:01 AM

Ok, who's the 10 hour guy?

Jens
Posted By: Fudge93

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 10:10 AM

Depends on the work I am doing at the time.

Aim for bed at 10pm, normally get in at around 11pm. Wake up at just gone 7 in the morning or earlier if I can be bothered to shave.

When I am working on my own stuff I'll often work still I sleep. This is only for a few days / weeks though.

I've been known to fall asleep at midnight, if I am still awake i become less and less coherent.
Posted By: marko1231123

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 10:13 AM

A solid six hour and I am good to go,
Any less I am at reduced capacity for most of the day
I used to work shifts if I got four hours I was doing well, the end result was me falling asleep behind the wheel of my car
After a sixteen hour day. I hit a wall the car rolled a couple of times multiple injuries I was out of work for over a year
I have never really recovered from it. so my advice for what is worth make sure you get enough sleep.

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 10:17 AM

Originally Posted By: jens198

Jens

Matt Wagner!
Posted By: Legend

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 10:36 AM

Matt Wagner does not sleep... he meditates for 8 hours per night!
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 10:46 AM

On average I sleep about 6 hours per night during the weekdays but that's due to my persosnl choice. I could go to sleep earlier but I don't.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Force10
I selected 6 even though it's more like 5 1/2 about 50% of the time.

smile

Same here, so I selected 5 hours making my selection and yours a correct average of 5.5 hours wink
Posted By: Bumfluff

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 11:44 AM

I've got two kids under 4.

What's this sleep thing?
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 11:54 AM

Bed at bewteen 24:00 and 00:30, up at 07:15-07:30 for the last 20 odd years. Before that (when on construction sites) up at 06:30
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 12:14 PM

In theory, I could get at least 7 hours. Current nighttime temperatures combined with the idiosyncrasies in my apartment's architecture (= sauna) give me a about 4-5 hours of restless sleep. zombie

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
Current nighttime temperatures combined

Let me guess, no A/C unit in your building/house?

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 12:34 PM

I have 5 kids ages 4-8.

No sleep here.

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: CG2015
I have 5 kids ages 4-8.

No sleep here.

You must be making a 6 figure salary.
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Current nighttime temperatures combined

Let me guess, no A/C unit in your building/house?

How did you know that?! wink wink

A/C would not be feasible at all in our - normally - moderate climate. This summer though has seen the highest temperatures ever officially recorded (which started in the 1870's).

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 12:54 PM

I have 5 kids ages 4-8.

No sleep here.

You must be making a 6 figure salary.

No we are not.

Why?

Only wealthy people can afford kids?

My father and mother raised us 3 on his only income: civil service, diplomatic corps.

We were comfortable and we were not living in squalor or eating scraps.

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 12:55 PM

A/C would not be feasible at all in our - normally - moderate climate. This summer though has seen the highest temperatures ever officially recorded (which started in the 1870's).

Whenever I finally do visit Europe it will have to be in the fall or winter because I've always been a very "hot bodied" person. If I'm indoors and it is over 75F (24C) I'm sweating bullets.

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 12:57 PM

My father and mother raised us 3 on his only income: civil service, diplomatic corps.

To raise 5 kids in a standard American middle-class lifestyle today requires a six figure salary. Oh and making a 6 figure salary (on the lower end) is not "wealthy".

Perhaps you are not aware of the trend of inflation over the past 25 years?
Posted By: Peally

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 01:02 PM

7-8, but I feel like groggy crap every day unless I get a quiet weekend with 9 wink

Whoever invented the 8-8-8 rule was an imbecile.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 01:23 PM

Nope, if you think making $100-150k makes someone wealthy, it just means you've never made that much and found out just how far it doesn't go.

I get to bed around midnight and wake up just before 7, so I get 6.5 or so usually, with it dropping to 6 on a bad night. On the weekends, I still go to bed around 12 but I wakeup closer to 10. smile

For 10 years I had to wake up at 630 for work to get there at 730. Then for a year I had to wake up at 6 to get to work at 7. Now I wake up at 7 to get to work at 8. Pretty much for the entire 21st century I've had a half-hour commute and as it takes me 30 mins to get ready to go--wake one hour before work!

There was a 3 yr stretch in the late 90s where I lived within 4 miles of the office, that was nice.

The Jedi Master

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
There was a 3 yr stretch in the late 90s where I lived within 4 miles of the office, that was nice.

The Jedi Master
That's what I have right now and hopefully I've have it for a very long time.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 01:44 PM

I'm lucky to make it to bed by 2200, and even luckier if I fall asleep by 2230. Up at 0330 for work at 0500, work till anywhere from 1300 to 1700, then a 30 minute drive home. I'd have to go to bed at 1930 in order to get 8 hours of sleep, and there's no way in hell I could do that, or that I would if I could. There's too much stuff I want or have to do for me to be in bed at 1930.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 03:51 PM

To raise 5 kids in a standard American middle-class lifestyle today requires a six figure salary. Oh and making a 6 figure salary (on the lower end) is not "wealthy".

Most Americans are consumer whores, err, sorry, slaves to materialism. They worship the dollar and all the little trinkets they can buy that are provided by the wealthy so we are good little workers and suck down our pay so we line the oligarch's fat pockets with billions of dollars. They string folks along with just enough money to make them feel like they are getting ahead but in reality know they will never escape because they will never give them enough to break off on their own. Well, unless they are willing to sacrifice the trinkets.

Some of us though... we shun the materialism and make do with family, friends and loved ones--the true treasures in life. The stuff is all junk anyways.
Posted By: RedToo

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 03:56 PM

Six if I'm lucky during term time (I teach). Eight when not teaching.

RedToo.

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Most Americans are consumer whores, err, sorry, slaves to materialism. They worship the dollar and all the little trinkets they can buy that are provided by the wealthy so we are good little workers and suck down our pay so we line the oligarch's fat pockets with billions of dollars. They string folks along with just enough money to make them feel like they are getting ahead but in reality know they will never escape because they will never give them enough to break off on their own. Well, unless they are willing to sacrifice the trinkets.

Some of us though... we shun the materialism and make do with family, friends and loved ones--the true treasures in life. The stuff is all junk anyways.

The cost of raising kids goes well beyond trinkets or junk. Health insurance costs, schooling costs, day care costs, food, clothing, etc. are all very real costs and are the major ones too.

Amusing diatribe though on class warfare.

Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 04:29 PM

The cost of raising kids goes well beyond trinkets or junk. Health insurance costs, schooling costs, day care costs, food, clothing, etc. are all very real costs and are the major ones too.

smile

Believe me, I know. My daughter is in a private school, we've got health insurance, medical debt through the stratosphere (wife incredibly ill), etc. But that's life. I wouldn't trade my daughter for anything--nor my freedom to live how I like through my own hard work and effort. smile
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 04:41 PM

I like to burn the candle at both ends, go to bed around 12:30 and up at 5:30-45. I love to shoot Milky Way or sunrises so it's late nights or up at 4 to catch a sunrise on weekends. I take after my Dad who also didn't need a lot of sleep.
Posted By: Dick Dastardly

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: jens198

Jens

Guilty, but its before 30 to 36 hours up. 2 days worth of sleep, 2 days worth of "awake", it evens out in the end. sleepy
Posted By: Tigerwulf

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 05:31 PM

6 hours for me. My job just gets in the way of the things I want to do, so I try to spend at least the same amount of time doing the things I want to do when I get home.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 06:37 PM

I can honestly say that I know very few, if any, families making much over $100K and they're all raising their kids just fine. The idea that it takes a 6-figure income to raise kids is as ridiculous as the "hands up, don't shoot" version of Michael Brown's death.

And where did you get the class warfare from? Are you saying that Americans in general DON'T spend a lot of money on consumer goods that they feel confers a certain status on them, and that along with keeping up with the Jones', is the primary reason Americans are so deep in consumer debt? What did Mr. Blastman say that was demonstrably wrong?
Posted By: malibu43

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: NH2112

I can honestly say that I know very few, if any, families making much over $100K and they're all raising their kids just fine. The idea that it takes a 6-figure income to raise kids is as ridiculous as the "hands up, don't shoot" version of Michael Brown's death.

And where did you get the class warfare from? Are you saying that Americans in general DON'T spend a lot of money on consumer goods that they feel confers a certain status on them, and that along with keeping up with the Jones', is the primary reason Americans are so deep in consumer debt? What did Mr. Blastman say that was demonstrably wrong?

This is starting to go way OT, but you can't just quote a salary without a location. $100K in San Francisco Bay Area doesn't go nearly as far as it would in rural Nevada.
Posted By: Force10

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: malibu43

This is starting to go way OT, but you can't just quote a salary without a location. $100K in San Francisco Bay Area doesn't go nearly as far as it would in rural Nevada.

100% agreed.

I live in the same city as malibu43...in our town, a 3 bedroom 2 bath "nothing special" rents between $4,000-$5,000 a month. You can add in almost $1,000 a month for healthcare for my family of 4, and do the math on the rest. That explains why myself personally works more and sleeps less.

I know what some will say..."Well, why did you move there?" I didn't...I was raised here and things weren't nearly this bad in the 70's and 80's. After the explosion of the Silicon Valley...the cost of living exploded here as well.

wink
Posted By: JoeyJoJo

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 09:25 PM

Between 5-6 usually. I try to get some more but just can't fall asleep before 11pm. Then I have to get up at 5:30am and work at 7am to beat the heat
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Bumfluff
I've got two kids under 4.

What's this sleep thing?

What they do in between feeding, needing a diaper change and keeping you awake. wink

-

I normally try to get 8 or 9. Can be as much as 10 on Saturday depening how the night out was. I do know I work okay with less, if I have a good reason to get out of bed.
Posted By: Cali

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Stormtrooper
5 if I'm lucky too.

Bed around 10am up by 4pm at work around 10pm

Bed normally around 11-midnight and wake up at 5:30am. I've been getting around 4-6 hours of sleep for the last 15 years, even when I'm away from the family.
Posted By: Coot

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/12/15 10:35 PM

Well, I'm currently pretty messed up, but before I left my last job two months ago, if I had an early shift I'd usually get about 7 1/2 hours. If I had a close shift I could get 9 to 9 1/2 hours. I've been on some medication that helped me through a rough several weeks of little health issues all culminating at once. Now I'm struggling with said medication as my body got used to it and needs it otherwise I'm starting to get withdrawals that are making feel absolutely horrid in the mornings or if I force myself to go without it for a longer period. I'm now having to try to wean off of it and I'm feeling pretty crappy and useless. Yesterday I woke up and it was almost 2p.m. nope I couldn't get myself to bed until 4a.m. So lately I've been getting 10 hours of sleep or so but its not good sleep. For those folks of faith out there in SimHQ land please say a little prayer for me that I get successfully off this narcotic.
Posted By: Brun

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/13/15 12:15 AM

Tonight is kinda typical for me. Planned to go to bed not long after midnight, but sat here an hour later catching up on the thrills of the internet.

Rain forecast for the morning as well, so I could do with being out the door in decent time to avoid getting too wet on the ride in.

Looks like 5.5 hours then, although the average is probably more like 6.5-7. I usually make up for it on the weekend, although Sat I have to be at the London velodrome for 10am. Balls.

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/13/15 01:12 PM

I'm trying to figure out how the hell someone operates at peak efficiency running on 5 hours of sleep. Whenever I see those people they don't exactly look like they're enjoying their day smile

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/13/15 01:41 PM

They believe they can just drink a lot of coffee or pop a bunch of pills and they're fine.
Take away the pills and/or caffeine and you'll find suddenly that they all don't get by on 5 hrs very well. smile

The Jedi Master

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/13/15 01:45 PM

That would explain it. A lot of the tech guys I have coming in are drinking Monster or something all day. I don't partake of the coffee or energy drinks, so that explains why I'm always drained without sleep.

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/13/15 01:45 PM

I got by on 4 hours of sleep per night just fine when I was 18 years old!

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/13/15 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Peally
That would explain it. A lot of the tech guys I have coming in are drinking Monster or something all day. I don't partake of the coffee or energy drinks, so that explains why I'm always drained without sleep.

I think it's fine to have one of those around 2-3PM when you start to ebb a bit, but if you need it first thing, and ESPECIALLY all day, it's like using avgas in your car. It will work for a little while, but that engine won't hold up well for long. smile

I will have my first during lunch, assuming it's a soda with caffeine in it (which it is about 75% of the time). I may or may not have another before I get home, and then I usually have one with dinner. There are exceptions, but that's the usual pattern. I can't stand coffee or those energy drinks, though.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: FishTaco

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/13/15 02:30 PM

Usually five to six hours, been that way for about ten years now. Shortest is when I'm on shift at site, and that's usually around three hours.
Posted By: PV1

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/13/15 03:21 PM

I want 9 hours, but often have to settle for
less than 8, mainly because I naturally prefer
a 25.5 hour day, and have to cram into a 24 hour
one.
Posted By: kludger

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/13/15 04:04 PM

100% agreed.

I live in the same city as malibu43...in our town, a 3 bedroom 2 bath "nothing special" rents between $4,000-$5,000 a month. You can add in almost $1,000 a month for healthcare for my family of 4, and do the math on the rest. That explains why myself personally works more and sleeps less.

I know what some will say..."Well, why did you move there?" I didn't...I was raised here and things weren't nearly this bad in the 70's and 80's. After the explosion of the Silicon Valley...the cost of living exploded here as well.

wink

Yep, out here on West Coast, $100k is the salary for an experienced IT engineer, but that money doesn't mean you live in luxury due to the cost of housing (rent for a family in the burbs is $2500-$3000/mo), high fuel taxes (gas is still $3.49/gal out here and most people have 45mins-1hr commute) and 10% sales taxes.

I get about 6-7hrs of sleep now but when my oldest daughter was little she didn't sleep through the night for the first couple of years so I learned that i could function with just 3hrs sleep during the weekdays and catching up on weekends, not fun but was doable.
Posted By: Timothy

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/13/15 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: kludger

100% agreed.

wink

Yep, out here on West Coast, $100k is the salary for an experienced IT engineer, but that money doesn't mean you live in luxury due to the cost of housing (rent for a family in the burbs is $2500-$3000/mo), high fuel taxes (gas is still $3.49/gal out here and most people have 45mins-1hr commute) and 10% sales taxes.

I get about 6-7hrs of sleep now but when my oldest daughter was little she didn't sleep through the night for the first couple of years so I learned that i could function with just 3hrs sleep during the weekdays and catching up on weekends, not fun but was doable.

Sounds like the Army's sleep schedule.
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: How many hours of sleep do you get (avg) before your working day? - 08/14/15 03:54 AM

Average 5-6 hours and maybe a half an hour nap after dinner. wink

Weekends are usually about 8-9 hours.

While deployed a few months ago I was getting about 6-7 hours after working 12-13 hour shifts. We had one day off per week and I'd catch up with about 13 hours of sleep because there was absolutely nothing to do except laundry, haircut, and chow...lol.

goodnight
© 2024 SimHQ Forums