homepage

Windows 10

Posted By: - Ice

Windows 10 - 07/19/15 10:13 PM

So... anyone getting Windows 10 when it comes out? I would love to hear feedback from a SimHQ member.
Posted By: DaveP63

Re: Windows 10 - 07/19/15 10:32 PM

Running the insider preview on my laptop and desktop. It's similar enough to Win 7 that you won't be totally lost. I've not done enough hard core gaming to give an opinion on it, but from what I've done so far, no issues at all.
Posted By: CG2015

Re: Windows 10 - 07/19/15 10:51 PM

Quote:
Elliot Carver: Mr. Jones, are we ready to release our new software?

Jones: Yes, sir. As requested, it's full of bugs, which means people will be forced to upgrade for years.

Elliot Carver: Outstanding.

- 007 Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)
Posted By: Desert Eagle

Re: Windows 10 - 07/19/15 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: CG2015
Quote:
Elliot Carver: Mr. Jones, are we ready to release our new software?

Jones: Yes, sir. As requested, it's full of bugs, which means people will be forced to upgrade for years.

Elliot Carver: Outstanding.

- 007 Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)

Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: Windows 10 - 07/20/15 04:05 AM

I'm planning on doing the upgrade for my 8.1 laptop to see how it is...since I'm not a huge fan of 8.1 anyway. Holding off on my 7 rig until I hear from hardcore gamers. wink
Posted By: MrJelly

Re: Windows 10 - 07/20/15 08:54 AM

I am running European Air War and other flight sims on it- so far so good

wink Jel
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Windows 10 - 07/20/15 09:26 AM

One thing I want to know is how 'clean' an install the Win 10 upgrade will be.I would rather start from scratch with a fresh installation.Maybe I'll try the upgrade and install from an ISO at a later date once I'm comfortable with 10.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Windows 10 - 07/20/15 11:56 AM

I'll install Win 10 when there are PC games out there that I want to play which require DX 12 or will get a big performance boost by using DX 12.

95% of my time on my home desktop is gaming so that drives my OS upgrade plan.
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: Windows 10 - 07/20/15 02:43 PM

I was forced to upgrade my computer due to the old one dying on me, so, even though I have a Win7 Pro license, I downloaded the Microsoft insider ISO for Win10 Pro to check it out.

I find myself not hating it...too much.

Having to sign in with an insider (Microsoft) account to Windows allows them to have access to your browsing and actions to "improve" the experience. Fortunately, selecting a custom install lets you disable a lot of that. You can always sign in as a local only user, but you then cannot get the updated OS builds. I hope that changes for the final build, but given the fact they are giving it away for free, I doubt it.

It has its quirks, like forcing me to have an extra wide start menu, due to the "live tiles" that refuse to go away and constantly trying to connect me to "entertainment and news" on the search box and in "Edge" (the new browser). All this can be configured, but it is on by default, which is annoying.

Compatibility wise, it did mostly OK. There are already workarounds online for some issues, but in general, compared to the Win7 software for the same hardware, Win10 seems to have less features. Like the Realtek control panel, there is no effects and equalizer tab in the Win10 version.

Many manufacturers are waiting on the final build to offer full win 10 drivers. Even for my new mobo, they had basically Win 8.1 drivers that are compatible, but not full Win10 drivers.

I also found out that the only version of Office that is compatible with Win10 is Office 360. I have a license for Office 2010, and it did not accept the installation. I had to install Open Office to get a productivity suite in.

I am in no rush to install games yet. I will wait for the final build before I start doing that. I might change my mind and go back to Win7, and the less I install, the better for now.

Still, with all the minor issues, I feel it is a good improvement over Windows 8.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Windows 10 - 07/20/15 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I'll install Win 10 when there are PC games out there that I want to play which require DX 12 or will get a big performance boost by using DX 12.

95% of my time on my home desktop is gaming so that drives my OS upgrade plan.

Guess you'll have to pay for Windows 10, then, because that won't happen in the first year when it's free, just like no Windows 10 games came out in Vista's first year that made it worthwhile.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Peally

Re: Windows 10 - 07/20/15 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Chucky
One thing I want to know is how 'clean' an install the Win 10 upgrade will be.I would rather start from scratch with a fresh installation.Maybe I'll try the upgrade and install from an ISO at a later date once I'm comfortable with 10.

As with every OS upgrade it's always wise to do a clean installation. Upgrading is really just there for the old fart convenience.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/20/15 10:34 PM

IIRC, there was overwhelming positive reviews on the Windows 7 Release Candidate, so much so that a lot of gamers installed it straight away. I myself went from WinXP to Win7. Just wondering if Windows 10 is the next step that I'll be taking, or I'll be skipping. My gaming PC is on Win7 Home but the other PC and the three laptops are all on Win8.1.
Posted By: Sethos88

Re: Windows 10 - 07/20/15 10:43 PM

Been using it for months now, it's a fantastic OS. Very fast, I love the new default start menu over that 8 / 8.1 junk and some of my games feel even smoother, especially the Men of War games finally stopped stuttering like crazy. Probably comes down to the much improved resource management. Games also alt + tab a lot faster now.

Luckily Microsoft, despite going back on previous statement, have given all insiders the OS for free.

Now I just can't wait to see what DirectX 12 brings in terms of CPU threading improvements in DX12 games.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/21/15 03:51 AM

Thanks for that info Sethos. That may just convince me to upgrade sooner.
Posted By: PV1

Re: Windows 10 - 07/21/15 08:12 AM

Anyone who has BoB2, if you find you can run it
more than a couple of minutes without it crashing
(as per win8/8.1) I'd like to hear.
Posted By: MrJelly

Re: Windows 10 - 07/21/15 08:30 AM

I do not have BoB2 but I do have IL2 Aces expansion pach and Pacific battles running. Also CFS3 and the Thirdwire sims SFGold + WW2 planes, WoV, and First Eagles.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4142965/Windows_10._Build_10162#Post4142965

BTW a single install of EAW140 is available if you want it:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4148934/EAW140_Single_file_installatio#Post4148934

wink
Posted By: kadiir

Re: Windows 10 - 07/22/15 12:47 PM

I can't remember where I read it but you might be able to do a fresh install after you do the upgrade (relevant if you're getting the free upgrade from Win7/8).

Re: Windows 10 - 07/22/15 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: kadiir
I can't remember where I read it but you might be able to do a fresh install after you do the upgrade (relevant if you're getting the free upgrade from Win7/8).

Yeah, once you've done the upgrade, your key used to upgrade should be flagged as a Windows 10 key.

Then you should be able to do a clean install with it.

I do put emphasis on should. Microsoft are all over the place with their statements.
Posted By: komemiute

Re: Windows 10 - 07/22/15 03:01 PM

So wait, only if I install Windows 10 now it's free? I kind of (not really following) understood it was going to be free forever as long as you have an original WIn 7 license...
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: Windows 10 - 07/22/15 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: komemiute
So wait, only if I install Windows 10 now it's free? I kind of (not really following) understood it was going to be free forever as long as you have an original WIn 7 license...

I thought the free offer was good for 1 year after release, but I'm not certain.

Anyway I'm pretty busy enjoying some stuff I'm playing and don't feel like doing a format/reinstall now. So I'll wait if I can.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/22/15 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: komemiute

If you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 you'll get it for free. However you need to take up the offer within a year. I also believe you could upgrade to the current insider build, through your current installation, then that'll also be fully activated. Then it will update itself to the full Windows 10 RTM build come July 29th.
Posted By: Ssnake

Re: Windows 10 - 07/22/15 09:36 PM

MS has been notably silent about what happens to your Win7/8 license if you take the free upgrade offer. Given that it's in MS's interest to eliminate legacy Windows versions as quickly as possible I wouldn't be surprised that once that you acquired your Windows 10, it permanently invalidates your Win 7 license so you can no longer downgrade later, even if you wanted to.

For most people this won't be a problem, so it's not really in the focus of interest of most pieces about Win 10. Just keep in mind that, as usual, "free" isn't actually free. There's always a price to pay. Personally, I prefer to have it clearly visible in the open rather than a hidden agenda.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/22/15 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Ssnake
MS has been notably silent about what happens to your Win7/8 license if you take the free upgrade offer. Given that it's in MS's interest to eliminate legacy Windows versions as quickly as possible I wouldn't be surprised that once that you acquired your Windows 10, it permanently invalidates your Win 7 license so you can no longer downgrade later, even if you wanted to.

Until that is made absolutely clear I'm not touching 10.
Posted By: brownba

Re: Windows 10 - 07/22/15 10:15 PM

I have enough tin foil to makes hats for everyone!

Re: Windows 10 - 07/22/15 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: brownba
I have enough tin foil to makes hats for everyone!

And my cat?

Re: Windows 10 - 07/22/15 10:38 PM

Okay, so Win10 is free if I upgrade within the first year....

I'm a bit torn here. I could "sacrifice" one of my laptop's key to use that to upgrade to Win10, install Win10 on my gaming PC, see how it works out, and if I don't like it, I'll re-install Win7 on my gaming PC and move Win10 back to the laptop. Would this work?

Or I could just wait 6 months or so and install then.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/22/15 10:42 PM

That's what I've been thinking about doing Ice.Throw in a spare drive,install 7 using one of my spare keys,upgrade to 10,and see how it goes.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/22/15 11:08 PM

All you, STAPH!...staph with conspiracy theories...

After you install Windows 10 you are given the option to return to you old OS as long as you do not delete the old OS files (which are backed up to a different folder).

You should not lose your old license, since otherwise, how would you return to the old install?

Unless you installed the insider preview (which will upgrade to final), there is no clean install path, you need to upgrade to get it for free. AFTER you upgrade, then you can do a clean install if you wish, ON THE SAME PC for free.

Oh...and Installs are tied up not only to the license of your old OS, but also to the hardware, so if you want to "move" your install from once PC to another, you have to call MS and it will transfer the license.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/22/15 11:28 PM

Well you'll have to forgive this cynical old git,but when M$ are giving away their latest greatest O/S for free I'm looking to see what's the catch.
Posted By: brownba

Re: Windows 10 - 07/22/15 11:43 PM

I am with Chucky on this actually. Windows for free does sound to good to be true. My plan is to use my 8.1 key to get the free upgrade because I never liked it much anyway. I'll always have Windows 7 if something comes up that I don't like!
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Windows 10 - 07/23/15 01:18 PM

I shall wait for "service pack 1" as I do with every version of Windows. It usually cleans up the major Fu@# ups from the initial version smile

Re: Windows 10 - 07/23/15 01:41 PM

Well you'll have to forgive this cynical old git,but when M$ are giving away their latest greatest O/S for free I'm looking to see what's the catch.

The catch is they want everyone on the latest one because they're tired of making security patches and updates for 5 different OSs because people don't want to pay to move up. With the introduction of Win 10 they still have people using 8, 7, Vista, and XP in large numbers. They finally dumped XP, but there are still some Vista and a ton of 7 users out there.

The sooner people standardize, the sooner they save money supporting the old crap.

The Jedi Master

Re: Windows 10 - 07/23/15 01:46 PM

The fundamental problem is that it's been getting more and more difficult for MS to find compelling reasons for individuals and especially businesses to upgrade their OS. MS THOUGHT that the compelling reason with Windows 8 was going to be making end users feel like they're using a smartphone or tablet on their PC desktop.

We all know how flawed that approach turned out to be.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/23/15 01:47 PM

Old stuff != old crap
mycomputer

Re: Windows 10 - 07/23/15 02:09 PM

If you saw the market report for Microsoft earnings in Q4, they lost a lot of money with their Nokia acquisition (they wrote off 8.7 billion loss on that) and also lost a bit more on their operating system/ Office software sales. The last one of course, due to people expecting the release of the new "free" stuff.

But now they are betting the farm in cloud services, the Xbox as an entertainment platform (now that it will connect and inter-operate with the Win10 devices). It even seems they are enthusiastic about Bing (with Cortana assistant in Win10, a significant number of users will be using Bing) and Surface tablets (now all updated to Win10) profits.

So you see, this is a strategy to get as much possible people into an OS that is heavily dependent on those cloud services (Office 360 (cloud) and Office 2016 are the only supported, for example), so that we grow dependent on those cloud services that grew 88% on the last year for them.

By giving Win10 away for free, they also nullify those that would use that as a selling point for Linux. And by getting users to use their integrated email app (and the Windows account sign in) , they go into the same data mining business Google thrives at.

They are not out to take anything away from you, if anything, they will make you addicted and then keep selling you the drug once you get hooked on it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspecula...revenue-growth/

Re: Windows 10 - 07/23/15 02:14 PM

Excellent post Bib. This is all about a long established publicly traded company reinventing itself right before our eyes.
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: Windows 10 - 07/23/15 02:51 PM

From what I have read so far:

- After updating to Win 10, you have a 30 day "trial period" during which you can revert back to Win 7/8. After these 30 days, you are "stuck" with a Windows 10 license (= the key will no longer be valid for Win 7/ 8 installations).
- At least in Germany, the "free" upgraded version is not linked to your hardware, according to the EULA. Which means you can switch out any components (including mainboard) at your leisure without having to purchase a new license.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/23/15 02:52 PM

Cloud services? Integrated e-mail apps? None of that interests me in the slightest.I WILL resist change biggrin

Re: Windows 10 - 07/23/15 02:58 PM

Wait a minute.... Bib... you said that Win10 only supports Office 360?

I have a very old copy of Office 2007 which I never really "upgraded" because I didn't see the need to. Does that mean that while I get a "free OS," I'll still need to fork out cash for a productivity suite?

Re: Windows 10 - 07/23/15 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: - Ice
Wait a minute.... Bib... you said that Win10 only supports Office 360?

I have a very old copy of Office 2007 which I never really "upgraded" because I didn't see the need to. Does that mean that while I get a "free OS," I'll still need to fork out cash for a productivity suite?

I have an Office 2010 license. I got a message saying that some features may not work and that installing was not recommended.

You can use MS Office free apps if you don't need the full function of MS Office_

https://blogs.office.com/2015/02/04/next-chapter-office-windows/

I also lost my PowerDVD install, which is not compatible...and of course, Windows10 does not support DVD or Blu Ray natively playing (and no MediaCenter), so I am using a free app for that.

Also, and until my motherboard manufacturer releases updates, some of the bundled apps that came with my new motherboard are not compatible.

I did not hear any promise that Windows 7 apps would be fully compatible with Windows 10. They did say that if the apps ran in Windows 8.1 (which I never upgraded to), they should run in Windows 10. I have similar experiences regarding having to upgrade/ re-buy apps with every major Windows upgrade, so it was expected.

But my case is different, because I slipped by the last minute into the MS Insider program, and I was able to do a clean install and still keep my Windows 7 license, so if it turns out I lose too much functionality, I can go back easily.

Lots of answers here:

Quote:
If I use a retail license of Windows 7 or 8.1, which can be transferred from one machine to another, to upgrade to Windows 10 for free can I then transfer that underlying Windows 7/8.1 license to another machine and upgrade it to Windows 10 as well since Windows 7/8.1 is no longer in use on the other machine? (23 June 2015)

NO

Is it true that the free upgrade to Windows 10 retains the properties of the license that was on the upgraded Windows 7 or 8.1 system? In other words if I am on an OEM system from a manufacturer such as Dell, HP, ASUS, Acer, etc. then the system that was upgraded with the free Windows 10 upgrade is still licensed as an OEM system? What if I bought a retail license that was purchased online or in a store - does the system upgraded to the free Windows 10 upgrade remain licensed as a retail license? (23 June 2015)

YES

If I purchased my copy of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 as a retail license from a store (brick and mortar or online/digital) and I upgrade to the free Windows 10 can I transfer that to a new computer under the retail licensing? (23 June 2015)

YES

If I built my own computer and purchased an OEM licenses for that hardware from a store (either brick and mortar or online) then does that OEM license transfer to the Windows 10 upgrade after 29 July? (23 June 2015)

YES

Can I transfer that OEM based Windows 10 upgrade to another computer? (23 June 2015)

NO

Does the Windows 10 free upgrade offer only last 12 months from 29 July 2015 to 29 July 2016? (22 June 2015)

YES

If I am still running Windows 95, Milenium (Me), XP or Vista on my computer can I get a free upgrade to Windows 10? (22 June 2015)

NO

I have a system running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 – am I eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade? (22 June 2015)

YES

I have a system running Windows 8 with the Windows 8.1 Update installed – can I get a free upgrade to Windows 10? (22 June 2015)

YES

I am a Windows 10 Insider can I upgrade to Windows 10 RTM for free on 29 July from the preview builds and stop participating in the Windows Insider Program? (22 June 2015)

NO

Will that copy of Windows 10 RTM that upgraded my preview build be a genuine copy of Windows 10? (22 June 2015)

NO

Is it true that if I want to continue as a Windows Insider I can install a current build of Windows 10 preview, such as 10130, and use my Microsoft Account with it and then get upgraded to Windows 10 RTM on 29 July? (22 June 2015)

YES

Will I continue to get new builds of Windows 10 after 29 July if I choose to remain in the Insider program? (22 June 2015)

YES

Will those builds ever expire? (22 June 2015)

YES

If I upgrade to the final version of Windows 10 anytime during the first year from a system with a genuine version of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) installed can I reinstall Windows 10? (22 June 2015)

YES

Can I do a clean install of Windows 10 in the previous situation as well? (22 June 2015)

YES

If I am currently running a non-genuine version of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 update) can I upgrade to Windows 10? (22 June 2015)

NO

If I have a computer that I just built and I do not own any version of Windows for it can I join the Windows Insider Program and install Windows 10 RTM on it before or after 29 July 2015? (22 June 2015)

YES

Will that version of Windows then be considered genuine? (22 June 2015)

NO

Can I transfer my Windows 10 installation to another computer after getting the free upgrade? (22 June 2015)

NO

If I opt out of the Windows Insider program before 29 July 2016 can I still use the free Windows upgrade if my device had a genuine copy of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) before I used it for the Insider program? (22 June 2015)

YES

If I opt out of the Windows Insider program after 30 July 2016 do I need to buy a new Windows 10 license if my device had a genuine copy of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) before I used it for the Insider program? (22 June 2015)

YES

Do I need to use a Microsoft Account to upgrade my Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with windows 8.1 Update) system to Windows 10? (22 June 2015)

NO

My name is Blackbeard, some call me Salty Sam. Can I get a free upgrade to Windows 10? (22 June 2015)

NO

Can Microsoft ever make its messaging completely clear? (22 June 2015)

NO

Have any ideas of your own to add to this list? Comment below with it and we might add it to the article with appropriate credit.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-upgrade-and-installation-frequently-asked-questions

Posted By: sinner6

Re: Windows 10 - 07/23/15 06:59 PM

If anyone has opportunity to test Janes F-18 on win 10, I'd be curious to hear the result.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/23/15 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
From what I have read so far:

- After updating to Win 10, you have a 30 day "trial period" during which you can revert back to Win 7/8. After these 30 days, you are "stuck" with a Windows 10 license (= the key will no longer be valid for Win 7/ 8 installations).

Quote:
I am considering reserving Windows 10 for both of my Windows 7 computers. I can only do this if I can downgrade without having to go through a lot of problems. If I get Windows 10 on my machines and I don't like it, can I simply revert by using an older backup? Will my license still work for Windows 7?
To be clear: I am NOT asking how to revert. I am asking if my license will still be legal for a Windows 7 install. I have full system backups. I make them every week. I do not want to go back to a Windows 7 system backup and discover that my license is no longer valid for Windows 7.

Luigi Bruno replied on June 2, 2015
MVP Community Moderator Wiki Author MCC: Content Creator MCC: Content Curator Most Recommended Discussion

Hello 4denise.

Your Windows 7 license will always be valid and will not be changed or deactivated because of the upgrade to Windows 10: you'll be able to install or restore Windows 7 again in case you'll need to do that (provided that you've the Windows 7 installation DVD or a set of Windows 7 restore discs or a full disk image of your PC running Windows 7, of course).

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...a891dc16?auth=1

Re: Windows 10 - 07/23/15 11:03 PM

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/02/computerbase-you-have-30-days-to-downgrade-windows-10/

Quote:
According to information posted on its website, users will be able to do so for 30 days. The license of the old operating system is transferred to the new which means that it will become invalid but is transferred back in the 30-day grace period when a user decides to downgrade to the previous version of Windows.

Rather confusing information policy from Microsoft.

confused
Posted By: Warbirds

Re: Windows 10 - 07/28/15 05:49 PM

If do go for win 10 I want to backup my hard drive. I heard that win 8 has a system image backup utility that should do the job,,question is what type of usb hard drive should I get for the backup?

Re: Windows 10 - 07/28/15 06:43 PM

Ya gotta luv some businesses....one of the local PC shops has a big sign saying that if you buy a new Win8 PC they will "give you a free upgrade to Win10"

Re: Windows 10 - 07/28/15 07:01 PM

Re: Windows 10 - 07/28/15 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: No105_Archie
Ya gotta luv some businesses....one of the local PC shops has a big sign saying that if you buy a new Win8 PC they will "give you a free upgrade to Win10"

If the DEALERSHIP is offering the free upgrade, it may actually be under different license terms than Microsoft's. It MIGHT actually be interesting, depending on the conditions.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/28/15 09:58 PM

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windo...-and-who-doesnt

Quote:
If you're a Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 user and you're looking to upgrade to Windows 10, there's no shortage of opportunities to be confused about whether or not you'll be paying for the upgrade, or when you have to start paying for upgrades. We've parsed Microsoft's official content like the Upcoming changes to Windows 10 Insider Preview builds blog post and the Windows 10 Free upgrade offer site, and we have answers for you.

Read on to find out the particulars for upgrading.

Any more questions?
Posted By: JimK

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 12:39 AM

I have Win7 Ultimate installed after nuking 8. Think I might install 10 on the old 8 drive.
Having 6 internal drives and multi boot set-up , you get to choose which one starts it up.
Posted By: Mudcat

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 02:29 AM

I'd love to try it out, but I have win 7 enterprise, pretty much the only ones left out of the upgrade bit sadly
Posted By: JCathcart

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 04:50 AM

The reason Windows 10 is free, is because Apple's OS is free. Apple began offering their OS updates for free years ago and left MS with no choice.

Apple is also responsible for mobile apps being offered for free or just a few bucks as well. Before the Apple app store, I remember paying 20-30.00 for mobile apps on my Treo smartphone.

There is no evil bait & switch here, it's just the way things are now. The days of spending hundreds of dollars for an operating system are over...for a while anyway.

The same is true for productivity suites. I used to spend 300.00 or more for MS Office every couple of years. Now it's 99.00 p/year, which works out to be a bit less. However, with Apple's equivalent suite being offered for much less, expect MS Office to be dropping in price as well.

I love competition in the marketplace.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 07:44 AM

I just learned today that:

1) Automatic updates can't be disabled or hand-selected anymore

2) In the EULA Microsoft reserves the right to collect and disclose your personal data if they see it fit for legal reasons

So, that's Windows 10 sorted. No way I'm going to touch that thing.

As I will build a new system in September I'm either going to extend the activation of my Win7 Ultimate, or try to find an Win 8 which can at least be modded to have a start menu...

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 09:05 AM

I have a real issue with not being able to pick and choose updates. Does this apply to driver updates and crap like Bing etc?

I know that with 7,I stupidly let windows update upgrade some drivers that caused me quite a few issues.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 09:18 AM

Your cat doesn't look awfully impressed with your preventative measures there Chucky smile

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 09:57 AM

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
I just learned today that:

1) Automatic updates can't be disabled or hand-selected anymore

2) In the EULA Microsoft reserves the right to collect and disclose your personal data if they see it fit for legal reasons

1) For the Home Edition. Professional and Enterprise can still perform updates like with Win XP/Vista/7/8
2) Not sure here, but the built-in Trojan horse (logging of ALL user activity) was only for the preview version

MS intends to update Windows in a staggered fashion. They will continue to offer the preview version where they will roll out new functions before they are ready for productive use, and they will continue to monitor all user activity with that one. Then there's going to be an "early adopter" ring of updates that will receive new features whenever deemed suitable for a larger number of users, a late adopter ring for everybody who doesn't want to be a canary bird, and finally the enterprise ring that allows the domain administrators to approve the roll-out of new features.
Security relevant patches are supposed to be released "immediately" to everybody, of course.

WRT the collection and disclosure of personal data, I think this is (probably) referring to the cloud services. That's where MS wants to make money in the future, so they will try to get as many Windows uses to use the MS cloud. Inevitably that means they will "collect" your information (that's the whole point of it), and of course they must comply with court orders (even if they are secret court orders of dubious legitimacy). So they are seeking legal protection against their customers who might otherwise sue them for their compliance with court orders.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 10:11 AM

Originally Posted By: BD-123
Your cat doesn't look awfully impressed with your preventative measures there Chucky smile

You've got me there?

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 10:12 AM

Ssnake, that's not what I read.

For updates, even to Professional users, they can't be delayed infinitly. You'll be able to opt for a bit of delay, but that's that. Only a high-level multilicense for Enterprise will really allow you to pick and chose updates.

For home users, the updates will be rolled out after a "Windows Insider" group had them for a few weeks and reports no problems. So home users are already the "second public" ring of recievers.

As for privacy, there's a clause in the EULA saying:

Quote:
Reasons We Share Personal Data
We share your personal data with your consent or as necessary to complete any transaction or provide any service you have requested or authorized. We also share data with Microsoft-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries; with vendors working on our behalf; when required by law or to respond to legal process; to protect our customers; to protect lives; to maintain the security of our services; and to protect the rights or property of Microsoft.

The problem to me is that this is very wide worded, so on one hand they get an awful lot more data with the new system (especially Cortana) and on the other hand they reserve the right to use or disclose this data if they feel it's in the interest of their rights. Or if they just like to share it with their affiliates.

Cortana itself has full access to your location, calendar, address book, likely to all texts and mails you dicate, to whom and how often you interact with. In conjunction with the above statement where they like to share data with affilates that is Triple A scary.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 10:28 AM

...could well be. But what's the alternative, in the long run?
The end of service date for Windows 7 has already been announced, 8 and 8.1 will follow not too far after.
Apple, Google, or Amazon aren't any better WRT protecting YOUR privacy (often much worse). So, what's left - Linux? OpenBSD?

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 10:39 AM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/201...omatic-updates/

Quote:
As Forbes contributor Gordon Kelly reports, the problem revolves around a conflict between automatic updates and Nvidia graphics card updates using Nvidia’s ‘Nvidia GeForce Experience’—a handy tool for all Nvidia GPU owners. Basically Microsoft has taken control away from users, and made all updates mandatory—including driver updates. This is a decision meant to increase security and stability across the PC user base, but it comes at a cost.

Users are reporting problems with multi-monitor setups, dual-card configurations (SLI) and PCs not booting properly, setting off Windows 10 emergency recovery mode. More issues are likely to arise.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 10:41 AM

Colonel, at least with the Pro version you can roll back an update. Not ideal, but better than "having to take it" with the Home version

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 01:28 PM

That's why I'm not upgrading today. Or tomorrow. Or next week. Or next month.

Let the early adopters suffer the problems and I'll come in once it's largely worked out. I waited 2.5 years to go to Windows XP. I did go to Win7 in the first month, but the word of mouth there was correct and it was largely painless.

As for personal information, if you want total control of that, stop using any and all electronic devices. Buried deep you'll find MS, Apple, Google, Amazon, McDonalds, Tire Kingdom, Walmart, all of them want to know as much about you as they can so they can find ways to sell stuff to you.

What Orwell got wrong was it wasn't the gov't alone that wanted to know everything, these companies all do as well because the more they know the more money they can extract from you. That's all you are to them...a source of revenue for them that they must maximize. Your concerns about privacy don't make them money, so why exactly would they care about that?

The Jedi Master

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 01:33 PM

Microsoft released an app to hide/select updates. They will probably integrate it with the OS at some point:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 01:41 PM

As for Windows 10, after one week of usage of preview build, and a few hours with the "final build" (which there were very minor differences) -

- If you are happy with Windows 8.1, then it's up to you really, since I cannot see a drastic difference in performance between these.

- If you are in Windows 7, and care about performance, this will be a great update.

- On the downside, compatibility is still a work in progress, and driver support is very thin at the moment.

- Many features are sill to be added. It has good potential, but this is far from a final build.

- What is in there does work, for the most part. Although improvements would be welcomed.

I installed the preview just because I happened to be rebuilding my rig and decided to give it a go. Will I go back to 7? I don't think so, but mostly because I do not want to go through all the hassle of removing and reinstalling...yet.

This system gives me no real compelling reason to run to adopt it, but neither does it give me (so far) any reason to want to rush to remove it.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 01:42 PM

Wait until SP1 and enjoy, as usual.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Peally
Yup, this will be the case with me especially since I'm already running 8.1

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 01:59 PM

That's not a big help if they just shot your PC to pieces... but thanks for that detail, I hadn't known.

I've honestly gone to GOG.com and checked my library there on Linux compatibility. Not too many yet, but some nice ones...

Or maybe keep an offline Microsoft 7 install just for gaming and the old photoshop, and run a Linux distro for web and mail...

Even if they manage the update process and privacy, it seems that this version will be the "last". According to some industry sites, Microsoft plans to "roll forward fluidly" with this, just like Facebook or other websites change their feature set, layout, GUI... I admit I'm one of those who hate it even if a button moves position on my Android after an "update".

Seeing that my future profession will be more towards IT Security, a move to Linux wouldn't hurt either.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Peally

That's not going to happen. Win 7 SP1 was the last OS SP MS ever made or will make.

Win 8 had "Update 1" and later went to 8.1, but neither was a classic SP and it never received one.

MS has stated Win 10 will instead be continually but incrementally upgraded, one of the reasons they want the updates on. It's not going to be fragmented anymore, there will be a single Win10 release and all copies will be kept to that same standard.

They want this to be like iOS 8.4 for your iPhone/iPad/iPod, not Android 2.2/2.3/4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1.

Also, I have seen several news outlets, including CNN, clearly state there will be Windows 11. Windows 10 is it. It will be upgraded for years to come, but there is no clear end of life or successor yet revealed.

Will it someday be replaced by something NOT called Windows? Perhaps, but MS for now is acting like 20 years from now we'll still be buying PCs with Windows 10 on it, but it will be very changed from the Windows 10 we have today.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Stormtrooper

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 02:14 PM

Installing now. Hope I don't regret losing
My Win 7 Pro install
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 02:19 PM

JM, I read yesterday that MS said Win 10 is EOL in 2025. So won't be 'final' version.

That said, I am eager to put it on the Tablets at home. Then my Desktop after I use it awhile.
I am wondering what I am going to do to get the Camera/Microphone integration to use Cortana and Hello!

What really stokes me is the XBOX connectivity. Remains to be seen, but I like where it is headed.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 03:04 PM

For those in the UK that have upgraded:

Did you install the English (UK) language pack? Is it really accurate?

Like can you ask Cortana: OI GOVNAH, WHERES ME RIGHT JOLLY POWAHPOINT LAST SAVED AT CRIMINEY SIX-A-BONG?

mycomputer

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 03:08 PM

Hung up on 99% for past 10min....hmmmm

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Stormtrooper
Hung up on 99% for past 10min....hmmmm

That is normal for the upgrade. How long depends on how much stuff you had before upgrading.
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Bill_Grant
JM, I read yesterday that MS said Win 10 is EOL in 2025. So won't be 'final' version.

That said, I am eager to put it on the Tablets at home. Then my Desktop after I use it awhile.
I am wondering what I am going to do to get the Camera/Microphone integration to use Cortana and Hello!

What really stokes me is the XBOX connectivity. Remains to be seen, but I like where it is headed.

I thought I saw somewhere that to use the camera for the Hello feature it had to have IR capability, which I don't think most out there do.

I've got a laptop that I just use for web browsing and things, which is running 8.1 and I installed Stardock on it to make it work like Windows 7, so I think that will be a good test system. I checked this morning but no update info on it yet.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 04:16 PM

Instructions to download a bootable ISO to do a clean install:

http://www.techkhoji.com/windows-10-iso-download-32bit-64bit/

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You still need 7 or 8.1 on the computer to do it as an free update, but you get the choice of cleaning out the drive after you verify requirements.

Download and Activation servers are slammed right now.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 04:49 PM

That's great Bib4Tuna, thanks for the link!

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 05:03 PM

I've made mine.Now to upgrade,get the new licence and do a clean install.
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 05:11 PM

I see no reasons to upgrade from Win7 64 bit at the time being.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 05:26 PM

Me either but assuming 10 actually lasts more than 6 months before 11 comes out I'd consider switching. I'm not playing this stupid game of buy an OS every year though, I need something stable for the future.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Bill_Grant

MS is saying it's the final version of Windows, so perhaps that means they will have an OS with a different name in 5 years or so. Perhaps Doors or Holes.

The Jedi Master

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 05:59 PM

How about 'ClusterFrackOS'
Posted By: Rends

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 07:06 PM

How do i know that it is downloading this THING?
Compatibilty test was ok but what next?

Re: Windows 10 - 07/29/15 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Rends
How do i know that it is downloading this THING?
Compatibilty test was ok but what next?

Check this: http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/how-to...0-update-files/

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 01:15 AM

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-finalizes-1gb-day-one-windows-10-patch

Quote:
FIXES GALORE - Microsoft finalizes 1GB day one Windows 10 patch

Microsoft has not only been fairly open when it comes to Windows development, but the company has also been working hard to ensure the entire experience is bug-free. A sizeable day one patch for Windows 10 has been finalized, weighing in at over 1GB. It's expected this build will address multiple reported issues.

The build number reads 10240.16405.150725-1815.th1, and should roll out to consumers today while upgrading. Those of you who may be moving to Windows 10, the day one patch should download alongside the main OS files, which will update your installation to 10240.16405 by the time you finally reach the new desktop.

While the patch is clearly massive, it's worth noting that it's still early days for Windows 10 in the public domain and other issues may still need fixing. The good news from this patch is Microsoft is taking the user experience seriously to prevent another Windows 8-styled backlash.

Wow! Already? And 1Gig! Now that's small, not!

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 01:28 AM

6 to 8 months down the road, the patches will grow smaller. I turned off my auto-updates
so I don`t have to see I have Windows 10 copy ready to install. Think if I do, I`ll take the
ISO download for a clean install on a fresh drive that won`t corrupt my Win7 Ultimate as
primary boot.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 05:55 AM

...but then you can't convert your license, as we found out. You HAVE TO run the update first. During the process it will send your hardware fingerprint into a MS database as the basis for your license, generate the license, and submit your Win 7 license so it's marked for invalidation after 30 days.
ONLY THEN can you make tabula rasa and do a clean install because it NEEDS to find your hardware fingerprint in the database during the installation process, otherwise your Windows license is invalid, and there's no obvious way to legitimize it afterwards.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 08:08 AM

...but then you can't convert your license, as we found out. You HAVE TO run the update first. During the process it will send your hardware fingerprint into a MS database as the basis for your license, generate the license, and submit your Win 7 license so it's marked for invalidation after 30 days.

Ok,so say I've installed the upgrade and 30 days later my Win 7 licence is now invalidated.What if I just use my factory restore function to put it back to 7.Are the M$ servers going to detect and flag my installation as non-genuine? This same question goes for anyone who also made a system image before upgrading to 'protect' their Win 7 install.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 08:12 AM

I would guess that Microsoft "converts" the 7 license into a 10 license in their database, and "rollback" isn't in their plans.

However, if you restore an exact drive image to the same hardware you won't need to make a new activation.
Posted By: Col. Gibbon

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 10:00 AM

OK, what's really going on?

Windows 10, the last Windows OS, and it's free?

Not quite, if your like me, still on XP, or Vista, it will cost me 100 pounds at least, so I won't be splashing the cash any day soon.

Then there is the future. It was rumored that Windows 10 was going to be a subscription OS, like Xbox Live, and PS4. and this would a good game plan for Microsoft, who are sitting dead in the water at present.

Getting everyone hooked on Windows 10 for free? It's like a load of drug addicts looking for a new fix, and once hooked, then watch out!

Beware the free meal, it will have strings attached!
Posted By: KeyCat

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 11:07 AM

Originally Posted By: JCathcart
The reason Windows 10 is free, is because Apple's OS is free. Apple began offering their OS updates for free years ago and left MS with no choice.

Just want to add that it's probably not the only reason. I'm guessing they are feeling the presure from a growing Linux base as well and some see the "free" Windows 10 as a sign of desperation.

Another thing that changed over the years is that instead of being the leader as they used to be 10-15 years ago MS now desperately tries to copy Apples and Googles succes, i.e free stuff, Bing, Cortana, app stores, phone, tablets and so on (one exception is the upcoming HoloLens which is innovative)

Lately MS have changed much of their attitude towards open source software (and thats a good thing). Mr Ballmer used to call Linux and open source software for a "cancer", direct qoute...

Quote:
Linux is not in the public domain. Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches. That's the way that the license works.

Linux may not have any real impact on the desktop today but it is growing, slowly but still growing (same with Mac OS). Valve is pushing games forward on Linux and also the millions and millions Raspberry Pi's running Linux (and other SBC's) sold the past 3 years (MS took notice and reacted a bit late by recently releasing their own free "OS" for RasPi).

It's quite easy to predict - if millions off kids grows up using Linux on RasPi etc. what OS will they prefer and recommend 10 years from now when thet are older and have their first job?

Quote:

I love competition in the marketplace.

+1 smile

Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna

- If you are in Windows 7, and care about performance, this will be a great update.

Any links confirming this for the sims/games we usually are interested in like DCS, F4 BMS, ArmA 3, CoD etc.?
Also how is the support for older joysticks/HOTAS?

Like some others I'm gonna stay with Windows 7 64-bit for time being and wait until the sims I play have DirectX 12 support and shows a significant improvement over current setup. Then when/if I switch most of the bugs are gone.

Pretty sure some of you are going to label me as a "nay sayer" but here is another quote that I try to live by and not update just because it's the latest hype - which of course MS and others wan't you to do.

Quote:
The old is not necessarily outdated and the new is not necessarily better.

Since many years back I only update if it improves my productivity or have other significant improvements that is important for me...

Just my 0.20 SEK

/KC

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 01:27 PM

MS can't afford to charge for it when the PC is struggling for life in the consumer space.
It has no equal in the business world (can you imagine walking into the office, sitting at your desk, and pulling out your smartphone to handle your work for the day??), but for what many people used to use their home PC for--email, surfing the net, watching videos of friends/family/amusement, playing casual games like Bejeweled/Peggle--first tablets like the iPad and now smartphones with 5" screens have supplanted them.

Apple is struggling with declining iPad sales because A) tablets are no longer the only game in town and B) they last pretty long so people are holding onto them a long time without upgrading in the absence of a "killer app" to drive it.

PC shipments are declining because A) PCs are now "fast enough" that a new one won't show much improvement in speed/abilities over an older one, so it's more a case of replacement-when-broken and B) people are starting to embrace the idea of not being tied to a niche in the kitchen/desk in a bedroom/basement to surf/email/Candy Crush.

MS has finally recognized that business as usual is on a long slow decline to oblivion so they need to make changes. We will see what they do next.

The Jedi Master

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 01:39 PM

I looked all over for a true answer to what happens to your previous license after you upgrade from Windows 7 and still was not clear, so I called our business account manager at Microsoft.

This is is from the horse's mouth -

You do not lose your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license after upgrade. EVER.

What you do lose after 30 days is the ability to roll back the installation using the Windows 10 restore, since by then, it is expected that you rather want to recover all that space holding your old Windows install.

You can reinstall your previous operating system after that, with the original key, but you have to do a clean install of that OS (or restore from an image).

Your Windows 10 key is generated based on your previous license, and you can only upgrade in the future with that Windows 10 key from the product you originally upgraded from. You have to remember, your free Windows 10 license is an upgrade license. (therefore they cannot invalidate the product you NEED if you want to install from scratch again).

You can clean install this Windows 10, as long as you are doing an OS reset from within Windows 10 (or a USB /CD bootable image created by Windows 10). If you remove it completely (format a drive) you have to reinstall the previous Windows 7 or 8.1 to do an upgrade again. If you install a new license for Windows 7 or 8.1, you will get a new Windows 10 key.

EDIT: I forgot - he mentioned a possible catch: Free Windows licenses are not eligible for a lot of stuff. For example, on a future free update offer (let's say, to Windows 11), your free license will not be eligible for a free upgrade. He said a lot of customers that bought Windows 7 and Windows 8 licenses from Microsoft at a discount, are not eligible for a free Windows 10 license.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 01:59 PM

I wonder about the family pack for Win7, the three-for-one deal they had back in 2009? I got one key, but it was good for 3 PCs. In the end, I only used it for two (still cheaper than buying 2 individual upgrades, but not by that much) and I doubt I'd bother upgrading the wife's 2008 XPS laptop anyway at this point. We'll just replace it when it dies and it will come with Win10 anyway.

The Jedi Master

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 02:15 PM

Thank you Bib4Tuna.

I just went for it anyway,fairly painless upgrade.Now for some testing...

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 02:35 PM

I just went for it anyway,fairly painless upgrade.Now for some testing...

I'll be curious to read the results of your testing with the PC games you currently have installed.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 02:49 PM

I did a quick testing of what I thought would not run:

- Fallout 3 and New Vegas: Got a warning from the OS that it detected software that may not be compatible. Then the OS proceeded to install .NET 3.5, the launcher popped up, I changed settings to Ultra, and... they played flawlessly.

- 1946 Forgotten Battles: Installed from Steam, ran update to 4.12. Same warning as with Fallout. Ran as usual.

- Crysis: No way Jose. I still need to look for any additional tricks on this.

Modern games like GTAV and MK:X felt much smoother and responded faster than with Win 7.
Posted By: Master

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 02:54 PM

Dont forget to shut all the privacy stuff down.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
I wonder about the family pack for Win7, the three-for-one deal they had back in 2009? I got one key, but it was good for 3 PCs. In the end, I only used it for two (still cheaper than buying 2 individual upgrades, but not by that much) and I doubt I'd bother upgrading the wife's 2008 XPS laptop anyway at this point. We'll just replace it when it dies and it will come with Win10 anyway.

The Jedi Master

I have this as well. Will let you know what the result is. wink

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Master
Dont forget to shut all the privacy stuff down.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/

+1

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 05:02 PM

Disable seeding Windows Updates to computers outside of your Network:

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/...people-updates/

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 07:13 PM

I did a quick testing of what I thought would not run:

- Fallout 3 and New Vegas: Got a warning from the OS that it detected software that may not be compatible. Then the OS proceeded to install .NET 3.5, the launcher popped up, I changed settings to Ultra, and... they played flawlessly.

- 1946 Forgotten Battles: Installed from Steam, ran update to 4.12. Same warning as with Fallout. Ran as usual.

- Crysis: No way Jose. I still need to look for any additional tricks on this.

Modern games like GTAV and MK:X felt much smoother and responded faster than with Win 7.

Crysis? Really? That's odd.

The Jedi Master

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 08:17 PM

And I'm back to 7.Screw you 10 attack

Playing E:D the keyboard started playing up and I got slammed into a station with no control,luckily the shields held or I would have been mightily angry.

Ok,maybe a glitch/problem with E:D so I load up World of Warships.Same again,this time I am left helpless while my ship goes round and round in circles.

Roll-back to 7 took a few minutes,problem has gone away.M$ keyboard,go figure.I did notice that the keyboard LED kept going on and off in 10.Not sure what the problem was or that I care right now.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 08:58 PM

First impressions using WinX with some older titles:

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Jabbas Palace map tested) works.

Steel Fury 42 ( tested custom map) works

BoB2 Instand Action works. London Raid engl.txt error message if exit using Alt-X

Arma2 (Benchmark run) works.

Rends
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 09:33 PM

Disable seeding Windows Updates to computers outside of your Network:

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/...people-updates/

wow. what a bunch of cheapskates at MS. I wonder how well their integrity checking is on these updates as well. seems like an avenue for mischief.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 10:03 PM

And I'm back to 7.Screw you 10 attack

Playing E:D the keyboard started playing up and I got slammed into a station with no control,luckily the shields held or I would have been mightily angry.

Ok,maybe a glitch/problem with E:D so I load up World of Warships.Same again,this time I am left helpless while my ship goes round and round in circles.

Roll-back to 7 took a few minutes,problem has gone away.M$ keyboard,go figure.I did notice that the keyboard LED kept going on and off in 10.Not sure what the problem was or that I care right now.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 09:23 AM

Lol,yeah I will but I'll do a clean install next time.Can't think why this problem is happening,it's rather weird.

*Update*

Well I had nothing to do today so went for a clean install.I had made a note of the product key from my previous upgrade but when I went for the clean install it said the key wasn't valid. Ok,maybe when I rolled back to 7 it became invalid so went for another upgrade.This time the product key was different so I'll try again.

Just of note,I tried a few games and got the same damn keyboard problem again.If that happens with the clean install,well... cuss

I did a quick search on doing a clean install with 10.One article said that once you have upgraded to 10 and want to do a clean install you don't enter the product I.D,you skip it and Windows will automatically validate once you have connected to the internet assuming the hardware you are using was previously used to make the upgrade.Anyone know if this is true? I'm going to try it anyway,will let you know.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 12:45 PM

I had no problems with the upgrade... installed and working fine... most of my games are working fine too but a couple of very important games to me have issues... wondering if anyone else is having them?

1. ArmA3, no mods, was working fine before, get a error message and can only close, never starts.

2. Orginal Ghost Recon, my old favorite classic.. it starts but the whole screen is blinking during the whole run, probably a graphic card issues... which BTW is also updated.

3. OK, not a game issue... but does anyone know HOW to turn on the windows key so I can use the Windows 10 features I want... IE: game bar?

thx.

BTW, if you have a XB1... check that sub-forum for my test and comments there.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 01:32 PM

@Chucky

- I would reinstall new drivers for the keyboard (MS Mouse and Keyboard Center). I also have an MS keyboard, but have a clean install, and have had no issues.

-Yes, you do a clean install from within your Win10 after you upgrade and just click next when Windows asks for the key.

@Magnum

- I guess I would recommend the same thing regarding drivers for the keyboard. Windows key works by default. I do not think there is a way to disable it.
Posted By: KeyCat

Re: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Master

Thanks for the link.

This is the scary part...

Quote:

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.”

/KC

Re: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 03:31 PM

BoB2 Instand Action works. London Raid engl.txt error message if exit using Alt-X

Excellent news, that it runs at all. The fail at alt-X
agrees with the one report we had from a beta [or whatever
they called it] user some months ago. This might be
something that can be fixed, perhaps much easier than
the directX failure in win8/8.1

Re: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 04:05 PM

I managed the clean install,although it would not activate for some reason.Maybe busy servers? Problems I had with the clean install were...

Some missing drivers (none available from MSI yet for 10)
No Office Starter or WMP (not sure if they are available for 10 but they both worked fine with the upgrade).
Keyboard issue still there (didn't try any games but I could see that the k/board LED was not coming on again.
Lack of features I had with the upgrade (My Computer for one,I miss that.Not sure if you could add it but by then I had had a belly full of it)

So....gone back to 7 for the foreseeable future.Best part of a day wasted.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 04:42 PM

I managed the clean install,although it would not activate for some reason.Maybe busy servers? Problems I had with the clean install were...

Some missing drivers (none available from MSI yet for 10)
No Office Starter or WMP (not sure if they are available for 10 but they both worked fine with the upgrade).
Keyboard issue still there (didn't try any games but I could see that the k/board LED was not coming on again.
Lack of features I had with the upgrade (My Computer for one,I miss that.Not sure if you could add it but by then I had had a belly full of it)

So....gone back to 7 for the foreseeable future.Best part of a day wasted.

To do a clean install, you are supposed to do it within an upgraded Win10 install http://www.cnet.com/news/clean-install-windows-10/ You will not get an activation if you installed from bootable media and wiped Win 7 without upgrading. In other words, you can clean install over an existing upgraded Windows 10 install.

Your Office files worked in the upgrade because Windows did a compatibility settings tuning. Win10 does not officially support any previous versions of Office other than 360 and 2016.

MSI has been lacking with their Win10 support. Gygabite and ASUS had day one drivers ready.

You can make file explorer behave like "My Computer" http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/configure-windows-10-file-explorer-this-pc-view/

Re: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 08:09 PM

To do a clean install, you are supposed to do it within an upgraded Win10 install...

Apparently Microsoft and I have a very different understanding of the meaning of the word "clean". I don't think they know what it means.

Quote:
Your Office files worked in the upgrade because Windows did a compatibility settings tuning. Win10 does not officially support any previous versions of Office other than 360 and 2016.

Just great. This sounds worse every minute.
Posted By: Moses

Re: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 08:27 PM

No issues with windows 10 and office products they work just fine smh you guys are worse than a bunch of whining ninnies

Re: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Moses
No issues with windows 10 and office products they work just fine smh you guys are worse than a bunch of whining ninnies

If you upgrade, and have Office 2013 and earlier, Office works (compatibility settings). If you clean install, you get a warning that some features will not work, but you are right, it allows installing anyway.

I have a license of Office 2010 Pro, and got the message. Decided not to install.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 08:42 PM

To do a clean install, you are supposed to do it within an upgraded Win10 install...

Apparently Microsoft and I have a very different understanding of the meaning of the word "clean". I don't think they know what it means.

You end up with the same thing (clean Windows install), it even let's you clean format your drives. It does it this way to validate your registration and retain your activation. Remember, you get a free upgrade version. If you want a full retail or OEM, it is available, just not for free.

Just great. This sounds worse every minute.

Key Word, officially. Some Office features do not work. And it is expected. Try to install Office 95 in Windows 7. Same thing.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 09:21 PM

I'm somewhat happy with it at the moment. FSX and add ons load up at least 2x faster.

Frame rates in game still the same though.

Re: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: PV1

Excellent news, that it runs at all. The fail at alt-X
agrees with the one report we had from a beta [or whatever
they called it] user some months ago. This might be
something that can be fixed, perhaps much easier than
the directX failure in win8/8.1

Testet it somewhat further and i got some CTDs in the campaign mode. The campaign window seems to work ok but when i fly an actual mission i ran into CTDs after a couple of minutes.

Btw: i played the game as admin and winxp SP3 compatiblity mode.

Re: Windows 10 - 08/01/15 10:58 AM

Thanks, Rends. Did BoB2 write a crashlog? W8/8.1
crashes all reported failure in D3Dx9.dll, if I
remember right, and usually after running for under
two minutes in 3D.

Re: Windows 10 - 08/01/15 11:08 AM

I've just had 'Frank' on the phone from Windows Technical Support but he wasn't too keen on helping me with my keyboard issue.He didn't care much for Rick Astley either.

Going back to my problem,could this be a 'sticky keys' thing? I use the left shift key in World of Warships a lot but I thought that a message would pop up if you tried to activate it? In E:D I use the tab key a lot too.I should point out that I'm using a M$ Comfort Curve 3000 plugged into a laptop.I think that may be the root of the problem but I can't understand why.Yeah I hate laptop keyboards.

Re: Windows 10 - 08/01/15 01:11 PM

@Chucky

The fact that you are using a laptop is very telling. Most laptops are custom configured, hardware wise, and most of the time, Windows generic drivers would not do. I think the issue you have is related to Windows 10 USB drivers.

I have a similar problem with my USB 3.0 ports, since Intel ha not released Windows 10 drivers, and currently Microsoft drivers are installed instead. The ports work OK, except when I am doing a backup and get a notification that my external HD is not available, even though the backup is still proceeding.

In the other computer I do a backup, I did not get this message at all (Win7).

The only solution to this is to wait until proper drivers are released by MSI (coincidentally, the manufacturer of my new mobo).

As a last test, can you connect the KB to a different type of USB port? (2.0 or 3.0 if already in 2.0)

Re: Windows 10 - 08/01/15 01:49 PM

I have the keyboard plugged into the USB 2.0 ports,not the 3.0 as that was what I thought may be the issue too.Thanks for taking the time to respond,looks like I'll wait until new drivers are released and try again. I could,as you suggest try the 3.0 ports but I'm back on 7 and staying there for a while.

Re: Windows 10 - 08/01/15 04:09 PM

I've just had 'Frank' on the phone from Windows Technical Support

Not "Steve" from "Wichita"? * wink

Going back to my problem,could this be a 'sticky keys' thing? I use the left shift key in World of Warships a lot but I thought that a message would pop up if you tried to activate it? In E:D I use the tab key a lot too.I should point out that I'm using a M$ Comfort Curve 3000 plugged into a laptop.I think that may be the root of the problem but I can't understand why.Yeah I hate laptop keyboards.

Do you have another backup keyboard you can try, to see if it's indeed a keyboard driver issue...and not a problem with the USB drivers?

Quote:
Sheldon: All right, I’ve taken the liberty of drafting these workflow charts which outline our various duties and the path we will follow as we develop our ground-breaking new app.

Raj: Hey, why am I in charge of phone support? Seems a bit racist.

Sheldon: A customer service representative with an Indian accent will create the impression we’re a vast enterprise that uses overseas call centres.

Raj: Oh. Very clever. But still racist.

Sheldon: Duly noted, "Steve" from "Wichita".

Re: Windows 10 - 08/01/15 07:47 PM

I haven't read every post in this thread, so apologies if this has been brought up, but I just confirmed with a Microsoft rep that Cortana requires a Microsoft account to handle speech input, and something that seems really dumb to me is that the on-screen keyboard no longer automatically pops up when you go into a text field with no keyboard attached, even in tablet mode.

So every other tablet OS on the market, including MS's previous one, does that, but Windows 10 doesn't - just seems like a bad decision to me, and it's going to keep me from installing it on any of my tablets.
Posted By: RogueSqdn

Re: Windows 10 - 08/02/15 12:15 PM

I'm mostly a Mac guy, but my cockpit computer ran Windows 7 Pro until yesterday, when I (mostly) got Win10 Pro running on it. In regards to Cortana, I'm not at the point where I trust it and don't feel like sending all that info to Microsoft.

Observations:

1) Edge is decent, but I don't see a way to grab a favicon and drag it into a desktop shortcut.

2) Edge has no extensions yet, which means no adblock. Might have to run Chrome a while, which brings me back to a trust issue. I could use Firefox too, but I'd like to at least try using the OS the way it was designed.

3) Apple has yet to offer an iCloud for Windows download that will keep bookmarks synced with Edge. You can sync with IE and then import them into Edge. iCloud Drive appears to work just fine. Running Pages, Keynote, or Numbers in Edge will prompt an unsupported browser warning, but they'll still work.

4) My HOTAS Cougar and Warthog installed and appear to operate just fine. However, the TARGET Device Analyzer does not show any devices. In order to check button status, you must use Control Panel. I've tried various compatibility modes and nothing seems to work.

5) TrackIR still has the problem with UAC requiring you to either approve it everytime you run it, or disable UAC. I really with they'd fix this, as I disabled UAC and would prefer not to. I have it set to run on startup.

6) Downloaded GeForce drivers (I have a GTX 680) didn't install first time out. Second time it worked. Not sure why.

7) Glad that Microsoft finally put out a decent task switcher in the vein of Apple's Mission Control. (or Expose')

8) For some reason my numlock key (on a Logitech K750 solar keyboard) won't be active on startup. So when typing in a PIN to login, I have to first hit numlock.

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 06:42 AM

So So So Sooooo True!!

hahaha

Posted By: The Nephilim

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 11:06 AM

Well I am having some teething issues..

1. Some of the drivers seemed to have been corrupted and needed to reinstall some of them like the chipset drivers..
2. My Cougar did work but a problem came up and I need to reflash I am unable to reflash it.. But the Foxy worked and Target did not..
3. mt 3D Emitter keeps turning off not sure if it is a NVidia thing but it is weird but comes on ingame but I have to maunaually turn it on.. there is not option to be ON always..

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 11:19 AM

Thanks to all of you who volunteered to be guinea pigs for Windows 10. smile

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 11:43 AM

Couple of guys in our IT dept upgraded some "guinea pig" Win7 PCs in the office. We have no Win8 machines. There are no games installed (officially at least wink ) but we run Office 2007, Citrix, and assorted other business applications. Not a single problem encountered so far. We are not going to do a "wholesale" upgrade for quite a while but the test went perfectly

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 12:39 PM

it seems you can not flash a cougar anyway in win10
Posted By: Kodiak

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 01:15 PM

I upgraded to Windows 10 a couple of days ago, now my blender doesn't work anymore and I cannot make milkshakes anymore, damn you Windows 10!!

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: The Nephilim

Not that I need to flash mine now, but why? Will it just not recognized when the Cougar shuts off and reloads? Perhaps you can install XP in VirtualPC and flash it that way.

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Kodiak
I upgraded to Windows 10 a couple of days ago, now my blender doesn't work anymore and I cannot make milkshakes anymore, damn you Windows 10!!

Satya Nadella: Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now, my straw reaches acroooooooss the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake!

The Jedi Master

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 02:06 PM

My total earnings for acting as "IT consultant" for a neighbor and 3 co-workers to help them upgrade to Windows 10 during the last 3 days:

$50, a certificate for a dinner for 2 at Maggiano's, a fresh cantaloupe, and nothing.

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 02:15 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...how-repeat.html

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 02:17 PM

LOL Oops....

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 02:35 PM

LoL...gotta remember that !!! biggrin
Posted By: kludger

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 05:10 PM

Haha that's awesome.

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 05:40 PM

Set Windows 10 not to install driver updates automatically from Windows Update:

You can stop windows from updating drivers.
Right click "This PC"
Click advanced system settings
Click hardware Tab
Click device installation settings
Select "No let me choose what to do "
Select "Never install driver software from windows update"
Click save changes button and exit.
Or simple click on Cortana and start typing "device installation" there will be only one option to select, enter and change the stuff.
Posted By: Mechanus

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st

This kind of thing doesn't happen because companies necessarily like doing it. The result is usually pressure from government agencies to do it and the leadership of the companies decide it's better to cooperate under some agreement rather than be taken to court by the government. MS apparently is going the opposite direction and bucking the trend that other companies have begun resisting more compliance efforts by the government in the wake of all the revelations everyone has heard about.

Apple's iOS 8.0 and above is encrypted and even Apple can no longer perform data extractions for any iOS 8.0 device at the request of law enforcement with a warrant- it's not technically possible even for Apple to bypass their own security on their devices as they don't maintain the keys (their Cloud services are a different matter and are still in play, however). So far it's not been a real problem other than the occasional agency sending letters of concern to Apple on the occasion, but there is a risk that an ABC agency could decide to sue Apple to change their policies.

I personally feel less comfortable with technology generally the more it becomes so pervasive. I enjoyed it more when it was an obscure hobby to mess around with a c:\ prompt and autoexec.bat and config.sys files , now I don't even understand it much at all and I need kids to explain to me what it all does.

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: RogueSqdn
Originally Posted By: The Nephilim

Not that I need to flash mine now, but why? Will it just not recognized when the Cougar shuts off and reloads? Perhaps you can install XP in VirtualPC and flash it that way.

Well Virtual PC does NOT work on Win10 frown

no I had thought I screwed up something so I decided to flash the cougar. it did not really need it but I then found out I can not flash the Cougar in Win10 frown

Re: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 09:52 PM

Well, I'd been needing to wipe my Win7 for a while, so I'd been waiting for Win10 to be released. At this point I'm not seeing any advantages to it. I'll give it a few more days. If I don't change my mind by Friday, it's gone, and back to the Win7 image provided by Falcon NW.

Finding a clean image of Office 2010 to install on Win10 was a MAJOR PITA. Falcon NW gave my a product key for it but no install media (I DO have a clean Win7 OEM CD plus Falcon's system image on a thumb drive).

Of course, there'll be the plus of VirtualPC working in case I need to do something in XP Mode. The only thing I've had to use it for so far has been programming X-Keys devices.

Re: Windows 10 - 08/06/15 08:51 PM

Anyone seen this? 3D Builder. Played around but didn't help it much lol.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/how-to-use-3d-builder-for-windows#v1h=tab01

Re: Windows 10 - 08/06/15 09:23 PM

Curiosity got the better of me, so I took the plunge on Wednesday, from Win 7 Ultimate. So far, everything is running fine, even after only doing the update. My Win 7 installation was about a year old, and I tried to keep it as "clean" as possible (no installation/ deinstallation of unnecessary programs).

I have to say, what's really slowing the booting process down in Kaspersky Internet Security, though. Noticed it because it got deleted during the upgrade process. Booting after the upgrade was lightning fast. After reinstalling KIS 2015, it's back to being rather slow. rolleyes
Posted By: RossUK

Re: Windows 10 - 08/07/15 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk

I have to say, what's really slowing the booting process down in Kaspersky Internet Security, though. Noticed it because it got deleted during the upgrade process. Booting after the upgrade was lightning fast. After reinstalling KIS 2015, it's back to being rather slow. rolleyes

I have noticed exactly the same thing but thought it was just me. Might uninstall and see.

Re: Windows 10 - 08/19/15 12:33 AM

Guys with Windows 7 and 8.1, now you are not left out anymore.

Microsoft wants to spy on you too:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3075249

But seriously, block this update.

Re: Windows 10 - 08/19/15 06:38 AM

...also

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3022345
and
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3068708

Re: Windows 10 - 08/19/15 07:29 AM

'This article describes an update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in
Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1),
and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature
to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels. "

I wonder what that means in english.

Re: Windows 10 - 08/19/15 08:08 AM

Good.

I don't have any of those 'updates' on my computer.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Windows 10 - 08/20/15 12:56 AM

Just had this update show up for me, MS describes as an "update to resolve issues in Windows"
Posted By: Airdrop01

Re: Windows 10 - 08/20/15 01:40 AM

I have not read 15 pages so if this has been asked and answered, I apologize. I have a $3,000 gaming rig. I picked Win 7 Professional specifically for it over Win 8 or 8.1.

Is there a reason, other than apparent subliminal mind control, why you'd take a machine that is humming like a top and install a new, untested and very different style OS.

I'm not making fun. Serious question I do not understand this compulsion at all.....

Re: Windows 10 - 08/20/15 01:58 AM

Have tried everything under the Internet search to stop this update, Nothing works. Even my Task Scheduler
is corrupted and won`t let me stop it. Checked my system restore. And once the Win10 update went through
when I let, it erased all my old restore points, might have to re-install Win7 Ultimate to clean house
the worst Microsoft update yet.

Re: Windows 10 - 08/20/15 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Airdrop01
I have not read 15 pages so if this has been asked and answered, I apologize. I have a $3,000 gaming rig. I picked Win 7 Professional specifically for it over Win 8 or 8.1.

Is there a reason, other than apparent subliminal mind control, why you'd take a machine that is humming like a top and install a new, untested and very different style OS.

I'm not making fun. Serious question I do not understand this compulsion at all.....

If you are happy with Windows 7, there is no current reason to upgrade. I see no "compulsion". No one is forced to do it.

I did it because 1) My mobo died and I built a new rig. 2) I joined the Insider program and decided to test. I still have my Win 7 license, since I did not upgrade, so it was worth a try. I lucked out and it is still working fine for me.

I honestly would had waited to November to build my rig (Black Friday), if my rig had not decided to quit on me. And I would NOT had upgraded from 7 otherwise. But, since it is working so far (with minor driver issues at the start), and I am willing to be the guinea pig and test stuff and report to Microsoft, I guess I will stick with it for now.

You are Welcome!

Re: Windows 10 - 08/20/15 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: JimK
Have tried everything under the Internet search to stop this update, Nothing works. Even my Task Scheduler
is corrupted and won`t let me stop it. Checked my system restore. And once the Win10 update went through
when I let, it erased all my old restore points, might have to re-install Win7 Ultimate to clean house

In this article, there are additional methods to try to stop the update.

https://techjourney.net/disable-remove-g...stem-tray-icon/

Re: Windows 10 - 08/20/15 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: JimK

In this article, there are additional methods to try to stop the update.

https://techjourney.net/disable-remove-g...stem-tray-icon/

That article happened to be one of the ones I tried and it Failed. Did everything it asked until
my computer decided I was no longer Admin over it when I installed 10 the first time. Going to
take the more drastic approach and re-install 7 ult. This is even worse then the fits 8 gave me.

Have feeling Microsoft is now admin over my Computer after installing 10 on it and restoring back to 7.

Re: Windows 10 - 08/20/15 06:18 AM

At this point?
Absolutely not.

If you're not missing the features of Win 10, and if you're not concerned about the announced end of support for Win 7 (which is still a bit away) keeping Win 7 is the most reasonable decision I can think of. Coming next June the first "real" decision point will arrive - do you want to upgrade for free to a "more mature Win 10" at that point when the early adopters worked out the high profile bugs already. If the price of a new Windows license doesn't bother you (~$100.- ... which is a lot, or not so much at all, depending on your perspective), you can safely delay the decision even beyond July 2016.

Then comes the day when MS will stop publishing security relevant updates for Win 7 (and, three years later, also for Win 8). Those will be crucial dates, like the end of life for Win XP. As much as Win XP was loved, using it to connect to the internet after the end of security updates is irresponsible, like agitating against vaccination among parents of newborns and infants. Not only will you personally be affected, your computer will also be instrumental in spreading malware to other machines.
If, on the other hand, your computer is behind an air gap you're safe on your island even without updates to your immune system as long as no boat with foreign sailors (=an infected USB drive) arrives. Virus scanners can't protect you adequately against deficits of the operating system.

These are the sole determinants for a rational decision to migrate to Windows 10.
Posted By: Airdrop01

Re: Windows 10 - 08/20/15 12:32 PM

At this point?
Absolutely not.

If you're not missing the features of Win 10, and if you're not concerned about the announced end of support for Win 7 (which is still a bit away) keeping Win 7 is the most reasonable decision I can think of. Coming next June the first "real" decision point will arrive - do you want to upgrade for free to a "more mature Win 10" at that point when the early adopters worked out the high profile bugs already. If the price of a new Windows license doesn't bother you (~$100.- ... which is a lot, or not so much at all, depending on your perspective), you can safely delay the decision even beyond July 2016.

Then comes the day when MS will stop publishing security relevant updates for Win 7 (and, three years later, also for Win 8). Those will be crucial dates, like the end of life for Win XP. As much as Win XP was loved, using it to connect to the internet after the end of security updates is irresponsible, like agitating against vaccination among parents of newborns and infants. Not only will you personally be affected, your computer will also be instrumental in spreading malware to other machines.
If, on the other hand, your computer is behind an air gap you're safe on your island even without updates to your immune system as long as no boat with foreign sailors (=an infected USB drive) arrives. Virus scanners can't protect you adequately against deficits of the operating system.

These are the sole determinants for a rational decision to migrate to Windows 10.

I love your metaphor! winner

Thanks!

Re: Windows 10 - 08/25/15 03:46 PM

I found this article and thought it actually had some good tips on Windows 10, stuff I hadn't seen in other places:

http://www.techspot.com/article/1045-top-10-hidden-windows-10/#10background-scrolling
© 2024 SimHQ Forums