homepage

The new Supergirl - First Look

Posted By: Desert Eagle

The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 04:40 AM

First look at the new Supergirl pilot episode.

Beware, it pretty much spoils the whole plot for the pilot
but these days that's so common in the trailers that it's
hardly a surprise.
Posted By: CG2015

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 05:09 AM

Helen Slater was cuter.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 10:41 AM

This show will last half a season at most and I'm being generous.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 11:40 AM

See? No Star Trek, but trying to compete with the cable channels over superhero shows.
Smallville ran a long time, longer than it should, Arrow has been going a while and then there's Flash.
But a time tested Star Trek show? Nah...
Maybe they'll try to tie it into their movies the way Agents of SHIELD did. But I doubt it.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
See? No Star Trek, but trying to compete with the cable channels over superhero shows.
Smallville ran a long time, longer than it should, Arrow has been going a while and then there's Flash.
But a time tested Star Trek show? Nah...
Maybe they'll try to tie it into their movies the way Agents of SHIELD did. But I doubt it.

Superhero genre is a lot more mainstream than pure science fiction. At least for right now.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 11:59 AM

This article exactly sums up the impressions I got from the trailer,

http://io9.com/first-supergirl-trailer-really-does-feel-like-an-snl-pa-1704310980
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 12:26 PM

I liked it......not too serious smile
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 02:52 PM

I don't think the actress is strong enough to carry a show like this.

The Jedi Master

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
I don't think the actress is strong enough to carry a show like this.

The Jedi Master
The lead actress is only a part of the problem. There's also the terrible dialogue and heavy use of sitcom cliches that makes this show look more like a parody than a serious drama.
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 02:58 PM

I agree with PM, I don't see this lasting a season

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 03:02 PM

That new Wonder Woman TV series a couple of years or so ago didn't make it either.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: CG2015
That new Wonder Woman TV series a couple of years or so ago didn't make it either.

The pilot was never picked up by the network. It never went to series.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 03:23 PM

The star is now a regular on SHIELD and doing a better job.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 03:24 PM

Nice quote from the comments section:

"Why does Krypton have so many baby launchers and kid pods, but none for adults?" smile
Posted By: KRT_Bong

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 03:29 PM

The Wonder Woman Pilot never made it to air, they just didn't pick it up. The problem with a Super Hero show is that each week has to deal with a new villain, a new "only a Super Hero can save us now moment". Hardly ever just normal everyday stuff that most real people have to deal with. I've watched the Flash and it's kinda getting tedious with the rather juvenile cast (Barry looks like he's 16 and he's a criminal scientist) the red streaking zipping and zig-zagging everywhere, the addition of other Metas and crossover guests of lesser comic characters.
Supergirl has a chance if they do it smart but CBS will probably try to put it up against another networks best show and then sacrifice it's intended time slot for every other special that comes along as they have done in the past. CW has a bunch of shows of fantasy or comic genre and they have lasted a while now. ABC has Marvel properties and shows geared toward a different Demographic than CBS typically attracts so it will be interesting to see how this goes. The teaser looks promising.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 03:30 PM

Seriously, you can tell that the producers and writers of the show tried so hard to make this show appeal to female viewers that they basically turned it into something that would be shown on Lifetime or Hallmark Channel. I still can't believe that CBS execs promoted this pilot to a full series.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 03:32 PM

Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

The Jedi Master

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: KRT_Bong
CW has a bunch of shows of fantasy or comic genre and they have lasted a while now..

CW has much lower overhead compared to the other major networks and thus their ratings requirements are significantly lower.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 03:45 PM

Smallville was the last good Superhero TV series.
Posted By: Revvin

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/14/15 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: KRT_Bong
The problem with a Super Hero show is that each week has to deal with a new villain, a new "only a Super Hero can save us now moment". Hardly ever just normal everyday stuff that most real people have to deal with. I've watched the Flash and it's kinda getting tedious with the rather juvenile cast (Barry looks like he's 16 and he's a criminal scientist) the red streaking zipping and zig-zagging everywhere, the addition of other Metas and crossover guests of lesser comic characters.

I wasn't expecting to like The Flash but its grown on me, they have woven into the story the ability to add that new villain that only a super hero can beat with the meta humans backstory so there is a ready supply of villains. I'm getting tired of the Arrow now though, it got a bit tedious with the constant flashbacks that were just superfluous fluff to the storyline and he went from one lone hero to having some sidekicks which was ok but now just about everyone he knows and who he tried to hide his secret from now not only knows but they are all super hero's too in one big goofy Halloween costume super hero gang. I really love the comic book series and films but I fear they are saturating the market.
Posted By: Plainsman

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/15/15 03:29 AM

You guys are just upset cause Jimmy Olsen is black. LOL. I think the trailer was cool. I think viewership will be high in the beginning. Unfortunately, the whole premise has zero chance of being sustainable over the long term.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/15/15 04:33 AM

I do hope this is good. Seems a little Dark Angel to me, which is not such a bad thing. Season 1 of DA at least.
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/16/15 04:10 AM

Smallville was the last good Superhero TV series.

...when Miles Millar and Alfred Gough were producing the show. It almost descended into parody following their departure.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/16/15 04:39 AM

I liked Smallville until they killed off John Schneider. It went downhill quickly after that. They dropped or lost many main characters and it became unrecognizable when I would check in. Not to mention that channel itself was so dark you couldn't even see the show.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/16/15 04:44 AM

I liked Smallville until they killed off John Schneider. It went downhill quickly after that. They dropped or lost many main characters and it became unrecognizable when I would check in. Not to mention that channel itself was so dark you couldn't even see the show.

Yeah they did kind of screwed it up after the Kristin girl left the show and the actress who was cast for Lois Lane just wasn't Lois Lane and then to drag out the Lois loves Clark or does she love Superboy and does Clark loves Lois or Chloe story arch for 7 seasons was just too long

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/18/15 02:24 PM

I do hope this is good. Seems a little Dark Angel to me, which is not such a bad thing. Season 1 of DA at least.

The first year of DA was really good. The second year they lost their way fast, and other than it being the first major job for the guy who's now been on 10 years of Supernatural it had little to commend it.

Jessica Alba never looked better than she did that first season. Great stories, great world.

The Jedi Master

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/18/15 05:03 PM

Agreed. They had it going and then blew it. When the dogboy showed up it was all over. It was such a cool show up until then. I even liked the "Quicksilver" bike messenger service work setting.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 05/18/15 07:46 PM

Funny enough, I've seen Kevin Durand since then in a ton of things from Lost to X-Men Origins to most recently The Strain.

The Jedi Master

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 12:26 AM

So, did anyone watch on Monday? If so, how is it?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 12:57 AM

What happened to supergirl? Why does she work in an office? Why is she a stupid Clark clone? Why does she have the stupid clumsy Clark persona? Why is Olsen shoehorned into this?

You have Spiderman being morphed to cater to youngER adults. The first two spiderman films seemed goofy visually but IMO the story is more mature and they went backwards from that. Let's not forget Smallville where they actually shoved superman into a High School setting.

Here you have a character that is supposed to be a young student and you shove her into the adult world? #%&*$# ironic. This is supposed to be a young girl who asks if a certain war torn region in asia is located near Daytona Beach.

/endrant

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
So, did anyone watch on Monday? If so, how is it?

I have zero interest in the show but I read that the pilot episode had very good ratings and it was one of the highest rated premieres for this season so far. The real test though will be the second episode to see how much the ratings drop. A lot of shows in the past had a great reception for its pilot episode but then faded quickly afterwards.
Posted By: KRT_Bong

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 01:11 PM

I saw the pilot months ago and it was cute, the best word I can use. Melissa is effervescent and the cast is likable but I'm afraid that her Super ability will be in how they carry out the fight scenes. Smallville did this rather well and Clark didn't fly 90% of the time. Making her believable means not looking like she's suspended from a rig while slo-mo kicking butt.
Posted By: Mudcat

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 02:17 PM

I fell asleep @6:30 Monday so I missed it, but the wife said she liked the show. Which I guess, barring another early evening pass out means I'll find out how the 2nd episode is.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 02:40 PM

No DVR? No VHS?
Doesn't matter, you can always watch it on demand or the website.

The Jedi Master

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 02:43 PM

No DVR? No VHS?

The Jedi Master

Watching something live on tv is just soooooo passe'. wink

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 02:45 PM

It was very rushed, but then the backstory isn't really anything that needed a lot of time to tell.
Have to admit, I dozed off. Jury is still out on this one.
I liked the cameos of Dean Cain and Helen Slater as her adoptive parents.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 02:46 PM

I was taping episodes of Star Trek 30 years ago, so it's not a new advance or anything!

The Jedi Master

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 02:54 PM

Jury is still out on this one.

The ratings for the pilot episode were great but I think there will be a significant drop off with the second episode. I think a lot of people watched the pilot out of pure curiosity but have no plans to stick with the show.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 03:07 PM

biggrin

Posted By: Top Gun

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
This show will last half a season at most and I'm being generous.

the previews look bad enough, I don't even see how it was released but the Agents of SHIELD is still going which amazes me... rolleyes

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 06:48 PM

I watched it and I didn't like it.

When is Agent Carter coming back?
Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 08:29 PM

I kind of liked it.

Lighthearted enough. I'll give it a shot.
Posted By: Mudcat

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 08:33 PM

No DVR? No VHS?

The Jedi Master

Sorry my antennae doesn't have that function neaner

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/28/15 08:52 PM

No DVR? No VHS?

People still use VHS?
Posted By: Hyena

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/29/15 01:22 AM

meh, my daughter liked it. Too many cliches for me. I also found it sad that there seems to be too much legal fighting going on so they couldn't even show or say the name Superman. Or Clark. I wonder how much other cannon is tied up too. Doubt they can use Lex or Lexcorp. Should have just had her be Powergirl from Earth-2 and started fresh.
Posted By: Falstar

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/29/15 01:39 AM

My 13 year old daughter liked it. She's looking forward to watching it next week. I fell asleep about 3/4 the way through.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/29/15 05:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Falstar
My 13 year old daughter liked it. She's looking forward to watching it next week. I fell asleep about 3/4 the way through.

That's the demographic that will determine the success or failure of the series.

Wheels

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 10/29/15 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: wheelsup_cavu
Originally Posted By: Falstar

That's the demographic that will determine the success or failure of the series.

Whee;s
Exactly. I honestly can't see why any males would be interested in this show or any women over the age of 30.
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 09/27/16 12:32 AM

So I guess she could not carry the show alone.

This seems like a job for... a male counterpart!

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 09/27/16 04:24 AM

He's just going to be in a few episodes. Too much and it would ruin the show. That said, I'm excited to see the "Arrowverse" continue to develop with this show added. There are crossover shows in the plan. Not sure if they'll actually merge the worlds with the Flash's Flashpoint storyline or not. I kind of doubt it.
Posted By: Dart

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 09/27/16 05:34 AM

No DVR? No VHS?

People still use VHS?

How else are you going to record programs in that elusive flashing 12:00 time slot?

smile
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 09/27/16 05:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Code:
[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/EtdK8un_VN0[/video]

Pretty strong aircraft.
As flimsy as that tail looked it should have broken off when he grabbed it. wink

Wheels
Posted By: Stewie

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 09/27/16 10:04 AM

I liked The Flash smile

Now I´m going to go watch this Supergirl of which you speak...

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 09/27/16 11:11 AM

Supergirl will do just fine on the CW even without Superman. It just wasn't getting enough ratings to be on a major network like CBS.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 09/27/16 01:15 PM

Code:

Pretty strong aircraft.
As flimsy as that tail looked it should have broken off when he grabbed it. wink

Wheels

I liked it better when they did it in the opening of Superman Returns. The plane did suffer quite a bit of damage, too.
I guess they're hoping no one remembers that movie from WAY back 10 years ago. Before TV.

The Jedi Master

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 09/27/16 01:22 PM

I guess they're hoping no one remembers that movie from WAY back 10 years ago. Before TV.

The Jedi Master
Before the dark times, before the proliferation of Twitter, Gawker, Facebook and other internet blogs. biggrin

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 09/27/16 01:46 PM

Back when Brandon Routh was Superman, not just an ensemble cast member of Legends of Tomorrow!

The Jedi Master

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 09/27/16 02:08 PM

Code:

Pretty strong aircraft.

Wheels

They're also very de-powered compared to comics and movies.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 09/27/16 02:12 PM

Back when Brandon Routh was Superman, not just an ensemble cast member of Legends of Tomorrow!

The Jedi Master

That show needs to step it up this season. They overcomplicated the missions and didn't use the heroes at all. Atom and Firestorm could handle most on their own, but almost never made an appearance in hero form.
The freeze and fire guns also didn't work like they did on Flash either.

Re: The new Supergirl - First Look - 09/27/16 02:17 PM

Yeah, it's almost getting GI Joe-like.

You've got admittedly BAD people using supposedly lethal weapons and no one ever gets killed...

The Jedi Master
© 2024 SimHQ Forums