homepage

What is the color of this dress?

Posted By: Desert Eagle

What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 04:33 AM

http://www.vice.com/read/heres-whats-happening-with-that-dress-with-the-confusing-colors-882

Quote:
Something really weird happened on the internet today. A girl posted a picture of a dress on Tumblr, with a caption that sounded pretty desperate: "Guys please help me—is this dress white and gold, or blue and black? Me and my friends can't agree and we are freaking the #%&*$# out."

One of my friends sent me the link. "What color is the dress?" he asked. "Blue and black, obviously," I replied. Then I asked my co-worker Mike Pearl, just to be sure. To my horror, he honestly and legitimately saw the dress as white and gold.

(...)

When I started drafting this post, I still saw the dress as blue and black. But then, the weirdest thing happened: I suddenly saw the dress as white and gold. "Did you change this image?" I asked Mike. He hadn't. In fact, I hadn't even refreshed the page. I had uploaded an image that looked blue and black; now, it looked white and gold.

We still aren't totally sure what the hell is going on, though. Dr. Neitz seemed really fascinated by it, though.

"Now I'm going to spend the rest of my life working on this," he told me. "I thought I was going to cure blindness, but now I guess I'll do this."

It seems some see it as blue and black and others as white and gold. I looked at the image on a photo editing software and looking at the RGB numbers the white is actually light blue and the gold light brown, but to my eyes it's white and gold.
Posted By: .Wombat.

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 04:53 AM

I see blue and brown.
Posted By: Panther

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 04:55 AM

Hmm guess I'm broken, I see blue and brownish (not gold)...
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 04:57 AM

lavender and gold.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 05:02 AM

White and Gold or a tan and an offish whitey light purpley deal ..what's the big mystery here ?
Posted By: Dart

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 05:07 AM

White and gold with a disturbing lack of boobs.

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 05:14 AM

Mystery solved..everyone back to WORK !
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 05:26 AM

I think I lost brain cells just clicking on that link.
Posted By: Skycat

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 05:44 AM

I thought this was all silly nonsense because I saw "white" (with a blueish tint) and gold lace. And then I read the article, and somehow the dress then turned to electric blue with black.

Weird.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 10:31 AM

The blue was a very, very light blue, like a robin's egg, and the black was very faded like an old pair of black jeans that look almost grey from washing and the sun. It certainly wasn't the shade of blue that I think of when I hear the word, and to me "black" means jet black or ebony. But if I wanted to see it as white & gold I could, but it was an eggshell or antique white and the gold was more like copper or bronze. So if anything, the colors given in the article were too vague.
Posted By: Immermann

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Vertigo1
lavender and gold.

I'll have to revoke your man card now.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 01:01 PM

The first picture is blue and brown...the "original photo" is a much darker blue and black. Anybody who see white and gold IMO has brain damage biggrin

BTW....Lavender is a plant ...not a colour and gold is a mineral not a colour. biggrin
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 01:48 PM

Yeah, looking at all those pictures the dress is always blue and black or whatever you want to call it.

I can't fathom how anyone could think it was white and gold, it's just paler in the first pic??

The Jedi Master
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 03:03 PM

White and gold on first page load. Read the entire article seeing white and gold. Then scrolled back up and the top image was blue and black. Scrolled down and they all were blue and black. I thought maybe it was a prank with .GIF or flash pictures, but seems no.

Now I can't get back to seeing the gold and white.

Probably something similar to those ambiguous geometric drawings, where you can perceive the same shape to be either inverted or not. With a bit of time, I can flip those back and forth in my mind. But not yet with this.
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Immermann
lavender and gold.

I'll have to revoke your man card now.

bah. I was a painter once!
Posted By: tempusmurphy

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 03:44 PM

I thought the wife was messing about and just saying it was black and blue ... but I still see white and gold ...and we now have the great internet divide biggrin
Posted By: KRT_Bong

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 04:14 PM

I'll go with Eggshell White and Gold or Bronze, the light on it can make the colors change but there certainly isn't anything Black on that dress in the first pic
Posted By: NH2112

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: No105_Archie
The first picture is blue and brown...the "original photo" is a much darker blue and black. Anybody who see white and gold IMO has brain damage biggrin

BTW....Lavender is a plant ...not a colour and gold is a mineral not a colour. biggrin

But what color is the element "gold?" And as Ted Nugent & The Amboy Dukes once asked, why is a carrot more orange than an orange?
Posted By: Murphy

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 05:35 PM

If I showed this thread, and that photo, to my wife....this would be the end of her day.

I see white and gold.

But I didn't spend much time on it..... wink

Edit;
Oops, I looked again, and the wife was looking over my shoulder.
She sees the white, as blue.

Still checking.....lol.......

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 05:39 PM

I'm still in disbelief that this "issue" has gotten so much attention. I just don't get it.

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 05:46 PM

A good example/demonstration here:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/a14308/the-dress-xkcd/

Shows how the same color varies to the eye depending on the ambient color.

And I did see the white and gold again, unexpectedly. A very interesting illusion image!

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I'm still in disbelief that this "issue" has gotten so much attention. I just don't get it.

Unfaked vastly different personal experiences, apparently unable to be reconciled. There is no way blue is white!

Similar to one group having seen a fleeting light in the sky, and others not. Unfortunately for those who witness a fleeting phenomenon, they are left in solitude with their convictions. With this photo, the phenomenon can be repeatedly experienced and explored.
Posted By: Master

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 05:56 PM

http://www.xkcd.com/1492/

I see it as blue-gray and brown-gold.
Posted By: U-96

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/27/15 08:20 PM

There are four lights!
Posted By: Desert Eagle

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/28/15 03:25 AM

http://i.imgur.com/UHlnI3t.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/PlayStationAU/status/571176841777516544

https://mobile.twitter.com/Xbox/status/571133738484178944/photo/1

http://marketingland.com/brand-tweets-on-the-dress-white-gold-or-blue-black-119841

Some marketers have caught on pretty quickly.

lol
Posted By: Stormtrooper

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/28/15 03:47 AM

Still want to know why a woman would want to wear that ugly thing.
Posted By: piper

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/28/15 04:09 AM

The question should be, who the #%&*$# cares.
Posted By: kludger

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/28/15 07:36 AM

Yeah why are talking about dress colors on SimHQ??

knockitoff
Posted By: CG2015

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/28/15 07:37 AM

Originally Posted By: kludger
knockitoff

Next they will be asking what color is this G-string.
Posted By: kludger

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/28/15 07:40 AM

Originally Posted By: CG2015
Originally Posted By: kludger
knockitoff

Next they will be asking what color is this G-string.

Hey that one might not be so bad depending on who is wearing it...
rofl
Posted By: McGonigle

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/28/15 09:29 AM

What an important, existentialist question.

NOT!
Posted By: Dart

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 02/28/15 12:37 PM

lavender and gold.

This is what the wife saw - but she described it as a something-something blue.

Cool brain trick, that's for sure.

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 03/02/15 04:08 AM

No matter how many times i look at this thing it is that weird light bluey colour that is nearly white..and tan. I can't do those 3d dotty paintings/pictures either so maybe that's my issue.

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 03/02/15 05:00 AM

My brother only saw blue and black, thought that those seeing white and gold were just pranking. Then we were reading another page with the photo on it and he started laughing, and said something about "well somebody finally photoshoppped it to white and gold I see!"

Well I was seeing blue and black, so I knew. Took him a good 2 minutes to get to grips that it wasn't some hack/fake/trick. Had to look up the photo on his own to compare. LOL!

Great brain trick indeed. I'm interested to see how this concept might be used in other ways, once better understood.
Posted By: WhoCares

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 03/02/15 08:43 AM

Maybe a month ago they showed an interesting BBC documentary in german TV on the subject of colour perception.
Horizon: Do you see the same colours as me?
BBC Article
And it's clear that they see colours, while some others may just see colors...

And before I forget, yes, I know, late to the party, but light blue and brownish...

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 03/02/15 04:03 PM

Anyone ever do that trick where you stare at one picture for awhile, then immediately stare at another and see a "ghost" of the pattern in different colors?

To quote a crazy old wizard:
"Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them."

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 03/02/15 05:33 PM

Yeah, but the same crazy old wizard also thought it wasn't necessary to change Luke's last name into something more obscure, so what does he know?! biggrin

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 03/02/15 06:49 PM

When you're believed dead it offers a lot of obscurity by itself. wink

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: What is the color of this dress? - 03/02/15 07:55 PM

I always thought that it might have been the ancient Jedi strategem of "reversed psychology". Kinda like choosing "1234" as ones PIN. I mean, who would be that stupid? (well, President Skroob, but who else?) biggrin
© 2024 SimHQ Forums