homepage

The next Terminator- Yawn.

Posted By: Ajay

The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 04:43 AM

POPS

Come with me if you want to...go to the pool.

I'll be back... to pick you up from ballet at 5.

Teminator: "Sarah Connah, vhy is dere dish-soap in my Uzi 9-millimeter?!"

Sarah: "You said you were going to show me how to clean a weapon."

<Audience laughter mixed with choked sobs of former fans>

...sigh.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 10:31 AM

The worst thing that happened to the Terminator franchise was when James Cameron was no longer involved. T3 made money at the box office but it was a mediocre film and Terminator Salvation lost a ton of money and the studio that made it went out of business.
Posted By: NavyNuke99

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 11:48 AM

Why are we getting these tired, increasingly desperate reboots and warps when there are talented writers with new and different ideas and scripts floating around?

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: NavyNuke99
Why are we getting these tired, increasingly desperate reboots and warps when there are talented writers with new and different ideas and scripts floating around?
Because the major studios are scared of risks and prefer to stick with franchises that have a strong brand recognition with audiences. There are some exceptions of course.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 12:42 PM

If what it says in the article is accurate, people will hate it just because it's different. It may or may not be a good film, but its Judgement Day will have arrived before the film's release!

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 01:05 PM

Doctor Who and a guy that looks like MacGruber?
I know the guy in the other cover has been in some movies, but he just looks like a thug.

Interesting GoT tie in with Sarah Connor now being played by Emilia Clarke and formerly by Lena Headey in TSCC.

Oh, and this sucks. Should've just continued the last movie and made the next one better. I actually liked Terminator Salvation other than some cheese moments.
"John Connor is on the ground!" LOL
After watching T3 on a bunch of dull tv nights, I've come around to actually liking that story more than T2. No annoying kid, no attempts at Terminator humor and it actually advances the story.
Robert Patrick was the only good part of T2, that and the cutting edge effects for the time. They killed Pvt Vasquez again too!

The Terminator smiles on the T2 poster too, it just doesn't look like a Terminator photobomb.

Posted By: No Name

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 02:19 PM

The entire mainstream action-oriented genre of Hollywood films is tired and uninspirerd and not worth the time. And that includes all these freaking comic book movies. Enough already. Though I understand why the entertainment machine keeps churning them out. Lazy, easy. McDonalds Happy Meals. It's a rarity when one is actually worth watching, like Dark Knight. The thing that puzzles me is why people who are intelligent adults still lap the, up. There's maybe a handful of directors like Chris Nolan who make AAA action movies that doent insult the intelligence of a grown adult.

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: peppergomez
There's maybe a handful of directors like Chris Nolan who make AAA action movies that doent insult the intelligence of a grown adult.
David Fincher is another one I would include in that very small group.

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 02:25 PM

Don't think I'd call them lazy and easy, certainly not from a production standpoint. That's why we have romantic comedies--rinse and repeat.
At least the conflicts are something a little bit unique as far as movies go.
Personally, the only Nolan Batman flick I really liked was Batman Begins. The others seemed more like a badly done 24 copycat. Some good performances, but
they lost the quality of being "enjoyable".
Posted By: Master

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 02:34 PM

Shara Conner Cronicles was good.

The problem with all these reboots is that they have to keep rewriting and rewriting the same story in order to make it fresh and at some point it just loses something in translation.
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 02:44 PM

They are doing the same B.S. they did for the new Star Trek Franchise.

Reboot the series with a time travel event that throws away everything that happens in the previous movies. BLEH!

Seems they went for a plot where they shoehorned a part for Schwarzenegger.

And the guy playing Kyle Reese... what an unlikable guy. Seen him in the last Die Hard. Terrible.

And I bet Matt Smith guy plays a robot...

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Apparently that B.S. worked from the perspective of Paramount since both JJ Abrams films did great at the box office.

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 03:10 PM

Only because we're that starved for ST. Put that effort into something that continued things properly and it would do at least as good IMO.
They didn't HAVE to use the TOS characters and reboot, they could've picked up right after their era, created likable new characters and still worked in some cameos.
I'd like Pine's character a lot more if he wasn't trying to be Kirk. You'd hardly even have to change the first movie story, just the names, and of course NOT blow up Vulcan.

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 04:14 PM

Lets not forget: hollywood loves its necrophilia

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: peppergomez
There's maybe a handful of directors like Chris Nolan who make AAA action movies that doent insult the intelligence of a grown adult.
David Fincher is another one I would include in that very small group.

Agreed. I'd add Sam Mendes to that list.

James Cameron and George Lucas the other hand, should have their screenwriting privileges revoked. They've done serious damage to establishing the baseline of what passes as writing quality/intelligence in mainstream SciFi. Just how low could you possibly set the bar?
Posted By: Mechanus

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 04:57 PM

I didn't really like Terminator 2, I never considered anything to be a proper successor to the first Terminator, I don't consider it a series, or at least a good series.

The first film was practically a low budget B movie but somehow a good film nonetheless. The second film has a big budget uses kids (which tends to turn me off) and actually humanizes Schwarzenegger, even makes a joke of the character and goes off track onto a different formula. The film isn't really that dark at all, despite offering a moral dilemma whether or not to proactively kill the creator of Skynet before the events actually take place in the future.

Remember John Connor's dream with piles of human skulls being crushed by machines? That's what a next Terminator episode should look like. We never really got anything like that.

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 05:24 PM

Let's not forget how corny this is from Terminator 2

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Mechanus
I didn't really like Terminator 2, I never considered anything to be a proper successor to the first Terminator, I don't consider it a series, or at least a good series.

The first film was practically a low budget B movie but somehow a good film nonetheless. The second film has a big budget uses kids (which tends to turn me off) and actually humanizes Schwarzenegger, even makes a joke of the character and goes off track onto a different formula. The film isn't really that dark at all, despite offering a moral dilemma whether or not to proactively kill the creator of Skynet before the events actually take place in the future.

Remember John Connor's dream with piles of human skulls being crushed by machines? That's what a next Terminator episode should look like. We never really got anything like that.

Agreed. The first one was more like a horror movie even, like a Friday the 13th with a scifi twist. A little gore, being pursued by a zombie like creature with flesh torn, then a skeleton. They lost that factor.
Being chased by mercury in T2 isn't scary.

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 05:50 PM

I should make a correction: not John Connor's dream, but his father's.

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Mechanus

The first film was practically a low budget B movie but somehow a good film nonetheless..

Not practically, it WAS a low budget B movie. They were all unknowns at the time, Cameron had only directed the Piranha sequel rolleyes and the budget was really low.
Like Alien, it was a B movie with just the right tricks pulled off to make it appear grander than it was, that then spawned an entire franchise of films and tie-ins (comics, TV, games) and made it Too Big to Die.

The Jedi Master

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 07:35 PM

The budget for the original Terminator film was 6.4 million which even by 1984 standards was pretty small. By comparison, the budget for Empire Strikes Back in 1980 was 25 million.

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 07:51 PM

They stretched it reasonably well, even considering that a bigger budget wouldn't have necessarily meant or required better special effects at that time. Or maybe rather because of smaller budgets and young director, there's a different ingredient which comes out- call it passion or whatever, the theory that through adversity our talents are tested and can inspire a good product as a result.

If it's true as the spoiler says in the OP's link, it really isn't so much different than hanging out with a self mockery of a 'good' Terminator like they did in T2. They evidently change the story around so that Sarah Connor's beginnings are now completely different, but the basic concept of a friendly Terminator is still there. Terminator 2 I thought at the time was pretty unremarkable. Boring and pandering.

Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 10/30/14 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna

That "B.S." created the most interesting and enjoyable Star Trek movies in 20 years.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/02/14 11:35 AM

IIRC the whole concept revolved around Cameron's dream, a skeletal robot engulfed in flames. If I got it right, he just expounded on that. The basic idea is flawed anyway, it is something you can't think too deeply about.

I might get some flak for this but there are films like Nolan's Batman, Terminator, Inception where thinking deeply will ruin the whole concept for you. This is what I hate about Nolan's film, he does such a good job dramatizing the film but when you start to remove the dramatic effect and think about it clearly it sometimes falls apart.

IMO this is the reason why Cameron decided to end Terminator with Judgement Day. That was supposed to be the end of the series.

If you extend something, like Star Trek, inevitably you'll have to untangle all the plot holes, and rationalize everything. This happened with Star Trek to the point that you have a whole mythos with its own rigid set of rules.

I think they'll have to redo the whole concept of Terminator if they want to make it a long lasting series. Time travel has always been a sources of confusion. IMO just move forward with the post apocalyptic war.

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/02/14 12:09 PM

I just find it amazing that people in general haven't gotten tired of the time travel story device. It's still being used in a lot of films and tv shows.

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/02/14 07:01 PM

I sure have!
Posted By: Ajay

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/03/14 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Agreed. The first one was more like a horror movie even, like a Friday the 13th with a scifi twist. A little gore, being pursued by a zombie like creature with flesh torn, then a skeleton. They lost that factor.
Being chased by mercury in T2 isn't scary.

My boy always reminds me that the the first Terminator movie scared him.

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/03/14 01:22 PM

The ironic thing is the end of T2 was about hope--that maybe the future can be changed for the better.

Then T3 came along and said "screw that, you just delayed the inevitable!" and T4 built on it. So the Terminator series did NOT change for the better, and its decay into self-parody was inevitable.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Legend

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/04/14 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I just find it amazing that people in general haven't gotten tired of the time travel story device. It's still being used in a lot of films and tv shows.

I will have in March 2017, according to future-me.
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/04/14 05:26 AM

Would probably enjoy this just as much as the upcoming film...

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/04/14 05:27 AM

I want to take the opportunity here to say that Liam Neeson's career has went straight into the typical bad action movie star. That's what he does now. "I am a trained killer with a ninja background. His dialogue is the same clip in everything. "For this transgression, I will hunt you down, I will take your pillow away from you while you sleep, and you won't even know it."

I just another trailer of his, and it's the same character and the same plot all over again. Talk about a tired formula.

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/04/14 11:23 AM

I'm sure Liam isn't complaining about the paychecks though. wink

Did you notice that Keanu Reeves and Pierce Brosnan are trying the same formula?

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/04/14 01:27 PM

Pierce has found the Bond curse. Once you're Bond, everything you do afterwards is trite.

The Jedi Master

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/04/14 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Pierce has found the Bond curse. Once you're Bond, everything you do afterwards is trite.

The Jedi Master
It seems though that Daniel Craig has bucked that trend.

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/04/14 01:36 PM

He's still playing Bond. Let's see what happens after he's done.

The Jedi Master

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/04/14 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
He's still playing Bond. Let's see what happens after he's done.

The Jedi Master
Yes but how many high profile films did Brosnan or Moore do outside of Bond while they were in their Bond era? A lot less than Craig.

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/04/14 02:34 PM

Yeah, I was going to say. Brosnan is most known for Remington Steele and The Thomas Crowne Affair. That's about it until Bond, although he's always stayed busy in his career.
Craig was already fairly well known, somehow, not sure where I remembered him from, but mainly he's also smart enough to keep busy with lots of high profile other work WHILE doing Bond movies.
But we need more Bond!

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/04/14 02:35 PM

Mrs Doubtfire!

The Jedi Master

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/04/14 02:59 PM

Had to look that up, but so he did! I forgot all about that.

Re: The next Terminator- Yawn. - 11/04/14 03:02 PM

Brosnan was quite good in that film too! I loved how he sussed out that Robin William's character wasn't really from the UK. lol
© 2024 SimHQ Forums