homepage

Office Broken Into

Posted By: Airdrop01

Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 04:01 PM

Well, I got to work this a.m. Around 0700 and saw this:

The police are there now and dusting the crap out of the place. I can't get in yet other than very briefly but so far what I know was taken includes a $650 Carlos Beltran ROY signed and personally engraved bat with his ROY stats, a signed KU 2012 and 2013 basketball set, a bunch of Desert Shield photos, some Eastern Airlines stuff (which really pisses me off), a stereo and a flask of booze. They smashed in the window with a bowling ball sized rock that was still on the floor.

One of the guys investigating was an A10 crew chief so we talked about that stuff while the other three cops worked. I Was grateful for him because talking to him about the A&P stuff took my mind off of the huge mess (which is going to be brutal to clean).
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 04:03 PM

It'd like to introduce such suckers back to the joys of the Bastonade.

They cause, for very little monetary gain, such a huge mess to the people they invade.
Posted By: Master

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 04:09 PM

My office has been broken into 3 times over the past 10 years. The police have never found anyone of anything related to the break ins.

I hope you have better luck with the police.
Posted By: Airdrop01

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 04:16 PM

I bet they'll not find anything but I'll tell you this, if I see that pretty uniquely signed bat, with a personal message for sale online, they'll have an "interested buyer" meeting them.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 04:17 PM

Wow, that absolutely sucks AirDrop. I hope the perpetrators are found and charged.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 04:21 PM

frown

Reward maybe???
Posted By: marko1231123

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 04:25 PM

Hopefully they were dumb enough to leave prints or cut them self's (DNA)
Maybe they will try and pawn the bat and the cops will catch them that way.
At least nobody was physically harmed. I knew a guy who got smashed over the head with a iron bar for his office keys
The guy was left Brain Damaged for a couple of hundred euro and a couple of computers
His wife had to give up her job to look after him.
And the cops never caught the animals that did it as far as I know. if was a good few years ago
Posted By: Cold_Gambler

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 04:28 PM

Well that totally sucks!
Ground level, far from any residences and with just plate glass = easy target. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't hit you again in the future >:-[. Did you ask if there'd been similar break-ins?

Although some of the items are identifiable, the stuff is probably going to get fenced and disappear to Seattle/New Jersey/Florida... Sucks but that's the likely reality.

File an insurance claim if you can prove value... doesn't help with the mess or the sense of violation, but what else can you do, really?

Sorry man...
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 05:01 PM

frown

What a crappy thing to have happen.
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Airdrop01

The police are there now and dusting the crap out of the place. I can't get in yet other than very briefly but so far what I know was taken includes a $650 Carlos Beltran ROY signed and personally engraved bat with his ROY stats, a signed KU 2012 and 2013 basketball set, a bunch of Desert Shield photos, some Eastern Airlines stuff (which really pisses me off), a stereo and a flask of booze. They smashed in the window with a bowling ball sized rock that was still on the floor.

I would search Craigslist and Ebay to see if these things come up for sale...
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 06:03 PM

People suck.
Posted By: Murphy

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
People suck.

Yeah, I'll second that one.

Airdrop....they have a system now call 'AFIS' Automated Fingerprint Identification System.
If the lift a print, just one, with enough identifying points on it, the computer will pop out a name, if the guy has ever been printed before, and in my experience, he probably has been.
People that do this, do it often.
So his prints are probably on file.

I hope you got a good tech to dust, it all depends on him.
'Pinch' prints are usually a good place to start, where they 'pinch' the window glass to pull it out of the frame.
Anything you haven't touched, that the perps did, usually something smooth and clean.

And then it's up to the people at the Identification Section who examine and rate the prints.
It may take some time, but if he lifted a good print, you'll get a call.
If you do....make sure you show up in court, or it will all be a waste of time.
BTW....that dust is really difficult to clean up....so good luck with that wink

Good luck.

We (Task Force I worked with) caught hundreds of them during the last 10 years of my career, and they got 'hard' time. Most for beating old people in their homes.
3 felony convictions, and they can add on the charge of being a 'Habitual Criminal'...15-20 years, no parole.
In Detroit we only went after the 'violent' felonies, but it could be any felony, if the department isn't picky.

God, I loved it......

Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 06:33 PM

Ouch, sorry to see that happen to you frown
Would roller shutters on the window help?

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 09:34 PM

Early 90s on an industrial estate on the outskirts of Glasgow, breakins were rife, last straw for the tenants on the estate was when some scrotes stole a Ford Transit van, rammed it through the gates, and smashed it through the roller shutter door of one of the units.

In preparation for this, they had lifted the manhole cover for the telephones and poured petrol into the hole and set it alight disrupting the whole telephone network for the estate. Cost of replacing the phone lines was about £30k, there was also structural damage to the wall of the unit they drove the van into.

The company that was in the unit was a graphical arts company with lots of computers both PC and Mac, they were worth 10s of thousands (PCs were expensive back then!)

What the criminals stole was a microwave oven and a kettle, they sold them in the local pub for a few pounds just to get a fix. This was not their first crime and they were back inside the next day. The damage they did for the return they got just does not seem real.

That was the last straw for the companies on that estate, they told the local govt. (Glasgow Council) to do something or they were leaving. That was why I was there, I was fitting overt and covert surveillance security systems. For the couple of months I was there it was interesting, hazardous and educational!

Even got on TV for that, my first time too! BBC Scotland sent a camera crew there to do a feature on the system we had designed for the estate.

We got our first arrest 2 weeks before the system was supposed to go live, we had it live and running as we completed each section.

One of the flood lights we put up on a wall had bullet holes around it and through it too frown It was well and truly bandit country!

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 09:55 PM

You nailed it Alicatt....the perps just don't care.

3 square meals a day, and reminisce with old pals, get all your medical and dental work done, and right back out onto the street.....a way of life.

That hard 20 years, made them pay attention though..... wink
Posted By: Sim

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 10:28 PM

Is there a middle or high school near by? I get a vibe that it was some teenagers looking for trouble... Teenagers being teenagers will probably tell folks about how "awesome" they are. So putting a rewards poster near by might get a lead or two.

When repairing window, I suggest a security company that installs broken window alarm so at least someone will arrive 5-10 minutes after alarm goes off.

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/28/14 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Murphy
You nailed it Alicatt....the perps just don't care.
They sure don't, was even more surprised when my colleagues would not come forward after witnessing a break in, we all worked for a multinational security company too, I was the only one that came forward.

Originally Posted By: Murphy
3 square meals a day, and reminisce with old pals, get all your medical and dental work done, and right back out onto the street.....a way of life.

That hard 20 years, made them pay attention though..... wink
When I had the bar in Wick we had one customer that was a habitual criminal, I used to dread Christmas time as I knew he would get up to no good just to get inside again for a few weeks for his Xmas dinner. Normally he was on best behaviour as he knew I would tolerate no nonsense from anyone, but xmas...
Posted By: JimK

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/29/14 01:17 AM

Gotta love facebook and the new way PD monitor it,our local PD makes great use of it and prevent many
potential crimes, since the friends always rat out the perps before the crime. Just wait, if your local
PD have a handle on the social media scene. They will have them soon.

Oh hey, You have my office chair. bought one just like it I am typing from. Actually have a couple
of them. Comfy for sure. love the lumbar support dial.

Sucks cleaning up the mess, could be worse, you could have my job.
Posted By: Stormtrooper

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/29/14 01:25 AM

Not to be an azz but with no curtains or blinds.....
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/29/14 02:52 AM

monitored alarm system ? Even fake (but realistic looking) security cameras mounted high enough out of reach outside will fool many burglars especially on a business

fake or real ?

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/29/14 01:06 PM

even better yet buy a foscam and point it at the window and you can check it at any time with your phone or a web browser. You can even set it up to email/text you motion alerts.

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/30/14 04:39 AM

"Smash and grab"....some of them, just don't care if you get a photo of them, or they cover up with a skull cap.... wink

I guess it depends on whether it's a large city, or a place where they can ID the perp(s) just by a photo.

But prints are a real 'lock'....if they wouldn't have access to the area that was entered, on a regular business day. No public access.

That's why the 'pinch prints' on the glass, at the point of entry, are so good.
The only way you can get those, is by someone 'pinching' the glass, 'after' it was broken..... wink it has to be the perp.
Good for a conviction, every time.

If you own a home, it's a good thing to know also, for when you come home to discover the B&E.
DON'T touch/cleanup the broken glass, at the P.O.E.
'Preserve the scene', prints don't get old, doesn't matter how long it takes to get a Detective out there.
After they turn in the report, call the Detective in charge of the case, tell him what you have.
Better yet, have the responding officer put it in the report. 'Prints at the scene'.....maybe he'll call the Evidence Tech's. Some smaller departments have the uniformed officers do their own dusting. Whatever works.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/30/14 08:56 PM

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a thief. I think that's from my time in the army, and seeing how some "soldiers" would steal anything not locked up or nailed down - clothes, money, the fuel tank cap or light bulbs from your (Uncle Sam's) vehicle, etc. Maybe 18 months ago I had about $1500 worth of tools stolen out of my truck while at a friend's place. I know who did it (the crackhead boyfriend of my friend's friend's crackhead daughter who was staying there for a couple weeks), and if I ever see the dirty little C-sucker he'll be lucky if I leave him with just a baseball-bat-crushed hand & foot/ankle (on the same side so he can't use a crutch.)
Posted By: Pielstick

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/30/14 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: NH2112
If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a thief. I think that's from my time in the army, and seeing how some "soldiers" would steal anything not locked up or nailed down

When I'm on ship I very rarely lock my cabin door - same for everyone else. When I'm not in my cabin the door is open and a curtain pulled across it, again same for everybody else. It would be incredibly easy for somebody to walk into my cabin and help themselves to the money in my wallet, tablet, mobile phone, or anything else of value. In fact being in officer I get a steward come into my cabin every morning to clean it while I'm working... On three occasions I've been the mess treasurer, which means I have to keep a money box in my cabin with anything up to £1,000+ cash inside. I always leave it on top of the wardrobe with the key in the lock.

The only time I do lock my cabin when I'm not in it is when we are in a shipyard and there are lots of contractors moving about the ship.

In eleven years I have never, ever had anything stolen from me on ship. I don't know anybody else who has either. On a couple of occasions I've been cleaning up after work and left my watch on a wash basin in the changing room, but it was always returned to me within a day. I heard about one guy (a rating) who was suspected of helping himself to money from his shipmate's wallets... they set up a trap and caught him red handed. Apparently he fell down some ladders and the thefts suddenly stopped. I joined a ship a couple of years ago where another rating had left the ship with his mess' cash box (about £500). The police got involved but I don't know what came of it.

I suppose I'm lucky to work in an environment where people trust and respect eachother enough not to steal from eachother.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/31/14 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Pielstick

I suppose I'm lucky to work in an environment where people trust and respect eachother enough not to steal from eachother.

Yeah, that's NOT America.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/31/14 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

The Jedi Master

That's not SOME parts of America, at work I have no problem leaving my $70K+ toolbox unlocked when I'm out of the shop even though a couple dozen people have access.
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/31/14 01:41 PM

my first real experience with theft is when a few on my "shipmates" stole money out of my locker in the Navy
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/31/14 02:22 PM

The Jedi Master

David Bowie? wink
Posted By: komemiute

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/31/14 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk

The Jedi Master

David Bowie? wink

Dear sir, that's a very distinct quote, I'd say.
*Hat's off*
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/31/14 02:31 PM

A couple of years ago, I lost/ forgot my camera at Ueno Park in Tokyo, when I was putting my jacket into my daypack (I took the camera out, and somehow forgot to put it back into the bag).

After about 20 minutes I wanted to take a picture, and noticed my camera was missing. I had a hunch where I left it, walked back (took about an additional 15 minutes), and not only had my camera not been stolen, it was draped nicely on top of a handrail/guardrail. So someone must have picked it up and put it there.

During the same visit, a friend of ours forgot his wallet - with all his money in it - in the cab he took from the airport. The driver noticed when he was back at Narita, and drove all the way back to our Ryokan (which is at least a 90 minute trip, one way) to give the wallet back, with everything still in it.

Pretty much everywhere else in the world, these things would have "vanished" instantly. smile
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Office Broken Into - 10/31/14 02:37 PM

Wow. Thanks for sharing that story Jayhawk. Japanese culture has always been an enigma to me and I mean that in a good way.
Posted By: LukeFF

Re: Office Broken Into - 11/04/14 08:29 AM

I have a lost-camera-story that also turned out well. Back when I was stationed in Germany, I was visiting Ansbach one day. I set my camera down on a bench, and when I left I forgot to pick it up. I realized my mistake about 15 minutes later. Not knowing what else to do, I went to the local police station where, sure enough, someone had been honest enough to turn it in. After a mini-interrogation by the police officer (I guess it's a German thing biggrin ), I was on my way.
Posted By: kaa

Re: Office Broken Into - 11/04/14 10:12 AM

The camera thing , forgotten at a café terrasse, happened to me at midnight on Copacabana seaside at Rio...after having left and walked for 5 minutes, I ran back just to find it where I left it...Go figure !

On another way, in my very "chic" town of Aix-en-Provence, every item left at the terrasse of a café may be considered as MIA after a few seconds...probably already in the waiter pocket. I know some have a treasure room at home.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Office Broken Into - 11/04/14 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: LukeFF
I have a lost-camera-story that also turned out well. Back when I was stationed in Germany, I was visiting Ansbach one day. I set my camera down on a bench, and when I left I forgot to pick it up. I realized my mistake about 15 minutes later. Not knowing what else to do, I went to the local police station where, sure enough, someone had been honest enough to turn it in. After a mini-interrogation by the police officer (I guess it's a German thing biggrin ), I was on my way.

Well he didn't want to just give it out to someone who walked in and said "found any lost cameras?" Wanted to make sure it was yours. Might be a great way to go shopping for a free one if you're good...

The Jedi Master
Posted By: LukeFF

Re: Office Broken Into - 11/05/14 06:06 AM

Well he didn't want to just give it out to someone who walked in and said "found any lost cameras?" Wanted to make sure it was yours. Might be a great way to go shopping for a free one if you're good...

The questions were more along the line of "why did you leave your camera behind?" wink Otherwise, I think it's fairly obvious he would want to confirm the camera actually belonged to me.
Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: Office Broken Into - 11/05/14 06:15 AM

The questions were more along the line of "why did you leave your camera behind?" wink Otherwise, I think it's fairly obvious he would want to confirm the camera actually belonged to me.

That is obvious, you were leaving it for your KGB contact to pick up, so when you got a cryptic call that he couldn't make it, you have to go back and rescue it before the Bundesnachrichtendienst figured you out biggrin biggrin biggrin
skyisfalling
Posted By: Legend

Re: Office Broken Into - 11/05/14 07:35 AM

Back in 1979 or '80 I was with my parents on holiday in Germany near Kassel. We found an unattended ladies bag in a park, brought it to a nearby police station and then were interrogated for an hour or so.
Looking back it was probably because the RAF (not the British RAF) was still active and either the police wanted to make sure we were no terrorists or hoped that we would have seen who had left it there.

Re: Office Broken Into - 11/05/14 07:33 PM

Here we are in the corner between Holland and Germany, it is about 20 minutes to get out the country so we have a lot of auto theft here.

Lost my Yam R1 at the local race track, van pulls up opens the side door and zaps a high voltage on the bike to fry the electrics and they lift it into the van and away, they got 3 bikes in less than a minute, right under the nose of the security guard who was about 15m from where the bikes were parked.
My bike was immobilised and alarmed, I had parked it with other bikes close to the security, I was a bit upset but at least I knew I had full insurance coverage, the other two bike owners were not so lucky as theft coverage here costs an arm and a leg so they never had it. The BMW GS1200 was 1 day old and the guy had bought it with his pension and just picked it up the day before.

After I got the insurance payout I bought a FJR1300 in Belgium and when getting insurance asked what full coverage including theft would cost - the agent said €6k the R1 cost me in the UK £350 full comprehensive inc. theft.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Office Broken Into - 11/06/14 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
A couple of years ago, I lost/ forgot my camera at Ueno Park in Tokyo, when I was putting my jacket into my daypack (I took the camera out, and somehow forgot to put it back into the bag).

After about 20 minutes I wanted to take a picture, and noticed my camera was missing. I had a hunch where I left it, walked back (took about an additional 15 minutes), and not only had my camera not been stolen, it was draped nicely on top of a handrail/guardrail. So someone must have picked it up and put it there.

During the same visit, a friend of ours forgot his wallet - with all his money in it - in the cab he took from the airport. The driver noticed when he was back at Narita, and drove all the way back to our Ryokan (which is at least a 90 minute trip, one way) to give the wallet back, with everything still in it.

Pretty much everywhere else in the world, these things would have "vanished" instantly. smile

Last year i picked up a loaded camera bag off the seat at the train station, pretty lucky for whoever owned it as there was a couple of unlikely looking types closing in on it. Sort of hard handing it in to lost and found at the station as you don't know if it is going to get back to it's owner or just get pinched by someone in there. No details inside, no phone number so i couldn't contact the person myself.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Office Broken Into - 11/06/14 03:57 AM

About 10 years ago I was working a midnight shift all alone in a small data center. I was the only one in the building that night. I was working in a secured area that had restricted access. Meanwhile some wonderful human beings had broke in through a window in one of the offices. They had ransacked many offices stealing laptops and anything else they could get. At the time, I had no idea this was going on. I am lucky I didn't go out to use the bathroom or go to the vending machines. I would have ran right into the jerks. That could have been bad for me. Later I heard that the security alarms had failed, and that the police / security company had no idea what was going on.
Posted By: HitchHikingFlatlander

Re: Office Broken Into - 11/06/14 04:28 AM

While working for client we were shutting down years ago (who built network center security systems no less) someone walked in the office then into the conf. room and took my laptop bag and all! I think I still have the images of him walking in and out captured by the excellent security system the company designed. It was frustrating at the time since I was 15ft down a hall powering down servers in the server room. Didn't really care about the laptop but all my stuff in the bag was another story and of course the files lost....

I hate thieves!

Posted By: Eugene

Re: Office Broken Into - 11/06/14 06:23 AM

Hitch, that's awful news. Really sorry the scum did this to you. Will the security footage help ID the dick?

Eugene
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Office Broken Into - 11/06/14 12:10 PM

He said it was years ago wink

Yeah, during construction work in our old office (asset management/real estate company) when the main entrance was open we also had a guy come in, all suit and tie, walk around a bit lost, pinch a laptop and leave again. He looked like he belonged there so I guess no one questioned him.

Re: Office Broken Into - 11/06/14 01:37 PM

When I was working on that industrial estate in Glasgow, the factory unit where we had our containers with stores etc. had hired a security guard to keep an eye on things.

One day we came in to a commotion, it seems that the "security guard" had taken the opportunity to help himself to the fax machine from the factory.

Little did he know that the system was already operational, you could see him on the recording reaching over the desk at reception in the factory and helping himself to the machine.

On the next camera you could see him running across the carpark, now the guy was not small- huge comes to mind and the run was a kind of fast shuffle smile

When arrested he said that he didn't know the cameras were working and he thought it was his last opportunity to steal something before the system went active.

We had put a digital video storage and transmission system on the estate with a monitoring point in the local police station, and one in a central monitoring station in the next town.

I had some fun times in Glasgow trying to stop crime smile

Re: Office Broken Into - 11/06/14 02:46 PM

The last time our office was broken into they stole a few pictures and a old monitor that didnt work. They mainly just wanted cash but we dont keep cash in the office. The picture they stole was a p-51 profile by Wily that was signed by the actual pilot that flew the plane. They also stole some framed needle point my boss's wife made. Somewhere in some random crackhouse my plane art that is priceless is sitting over a table as they cut coke with baking soda. Pisses me off to no avail!

Hope they catch your guys though Airdrop. Keep up updated if you recover anything.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums