homepage

Who still watches original Star Trek episodes?

Posted By: letterboy1

Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 01:06 AM

I am watching them right now. Many years have passed since I first saw them, but I still enjoy the stories to this day.

So I am just curious if you are still watching Shatner and Nimoy and Kelley in the original series.
Posted By: Clydewinder

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 01:50 AM

Been watching one every night with the little ones. About 1/2 way through season 2 right now.

Good stuff, and fun.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 01:52 AM

Almost every Saturday night on MeTV.

You can also watch them at CBS.com.
Star Trek @ CBS.com: http://www.cbs.com/shows/star_trek/

Wheels
Posted By: Sim

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 01:59 AM

IIRC NETFLIX has them all. Good stuff to put as background noise.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 03:06 AM

I have all 3 seasons on bluray. I have the latest version with the remastered episodes and CGI.

The acting and production values can be cheesy and cheap looking at times but the stories still hold up really well.
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 03:37 AM

I'm going to have to get me a bluray player.

The Sci-Fi series at the top of my list (some of them really short)...

Original Star Trek
Space: 1999
Original BSG
Six Million Dollar Man

Comedies...
Quark
Lost in Space
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 03:56 AM

lol - Lost in Space; "danger Will Robinson"; without the robot and Dr. Smith the show would of been boring

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Haggart
lol - Lost in Space; "danger Will Robinson"; without the robot and Dr. Smith the show would of been boring

I know it technically wasn't a comedy, just kinda silly. smile

++++++++++

My brother brings his original Star Trek series bluray (with new effects) when he visits, along with a portable player. They did a good job on it IMO without going overboard.

Although I'm torn on keeping things original, I have Star Wars/Empire/Jedi original and updated, I go back and forth.

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 10:27 AM

Originally Posted By: MarkG
I'm going to have to get me a bluray player.

The Sci-Fi series at the top of my list (some of them really short)...

Original Star Trek
Space: 1999
Original BSG
Six Million Dollar Man

Comedies...
Quark
Lost in Space

I know you are mostly stuck in the 70's and 80's but you should really give the new BSG a try. smile
Posted By: HarryM

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 12:04 PM

Still watch it all the time, one of my all time favorite shows.

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I know you are mostly stuck in the 70's and 80's but you should really give the new BSG a try. smile

I'd first have to get over the softer more feminine looking Colonial Viper . smile

Original Viper...

Girly Viper...

From...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Viper

As someone who had a model of the original (as well as the Eagle from Space:1999 and original NCC-1701), that's asking a whole lot for me to accept. smile

++++++++++

I think I was jaded early on by the first few episodes of Star Trek: Next Generation:

1. I could never get past the ugly-as-hell Enterprise.
2. Picard babysat a floating cruise ship (The Love Boat in space) whereas Kirk was more no-nonsense and ran his Enterprise like a battleship.

And as a kid I had the doll house action playset with ALL the dolls action figures...
https://www.vintagetoysillustrated.com/2...OOLS_SCENES.JPG

++++++++++

As cool as some CGI is, I still prefer the look of models, even when it's obvious.

BUT, I did enjoy the Lost in Space movie (1998).
Posted By: Peally

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 12:24 PM

wave

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 12:34 PM

BUT, I did enjoy the Lost in Space movie (1998).
You must be like one of 5 people who did. wink
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 12:37 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I can't tell much difference at all between those two Vipers other than how grainy the picture is on the old one. Most car models have a bigger change switching from one year to the next than that.

I plan on rewatching TOS soon. I watched them all when the BD sets came out, the previous time I'd watched them being when the DVD sets came out, the time before that being when the SF channel did their special editions in 1998. It annoys me that all those interviews and intros that Shatner and Nimoy did aren't on DVD or BD anywhere, I only have them on my (now very) old VHS copies I made. Not that my sole remaining VCR is in good shape at all.

The Jedi Master

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Maybe it's just me, but I can't tell much difference at all between those two Vipers other than how grainy the picture is on the old one. Most car models have a bigger change switching from one year to the next than that.

Attention to detail.

I assume you didn't have the models of the Viper and Raider, and that you also didn't have as many sketches in your notebooks of these craft as you did notes from the chalkboard. smile

We can start with the symmetry of the engines (or lack of) and the mucked up stripe.

++++++++++

Soon we'll be helping my parents pack the remainder of their house as they're moving to the sticks with us, and I'm hoping to find some cool stuff in their attic. I doubt I'll find anything major (Six Million Dollar Man doll, Evel Knievel crank bike, Star Trek figures... but I do believe I'll find my Battlestar Galactica board game and possibly my collection of Space: 1999 trading cards.

You end up giving stuff away as you outgrow it, never knowing that one day you might want it back.

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 02:00 PM

They're details I find immaterial, and certainly not significant enough to define as emasculating. Now the other Vipers on BSG are certainly quite different, but they were supposed to be as these were the ones from Adama's younger days, the F-15 to the new Viper's F-22.

Besides, no matter what you think of the old Vipers, the fact remains that they filmed roughly 10 mins of footage of them flying that were then reused ad nauseum over the course of the series, while the new BSG almost never reused a shot. If I saw that shot of the Vipers hitting the burner and peeling off one more time I'd probably scream, right along with the silly roll/dodge of the fighter Buck Rogers was flying on the other channel!

The Jedi Master

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 02:04 PM

And to prove I'm not always opposed to change, I like the refresh they gave the Enterprise in the original movies.

But to me, ST is The Menagerie (although airing later in the series) to Wrath of Khan.

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 02:09 PM

This thread needs music (related to old Sci-Fi)...

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 02:21 PM

But to me, ST is The Menagerie (although airing later in the series) to Wrath of Khan.

"The Menagerie" was a very good ST episode but IMHO, Jeffrey Hunter didn't have anywhere near the on-screen charisma that Shatner had in the role.

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 02:27 PM

Stewie/Family Guy:

"Good evening. I'm playing the role of Jesus, a man once portrayed on the big screen by Jeffrey Hunter. You may remember him as the actor who was replaced by William Shatner on Star Trek.

Apparently Mr. Hunter was good enough to die for our sins but not quite up to the task of seducing green women."

LOL biggrin
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 02:34 PM

I liked the Lost in Space movie. Nothing like the original, and the time-related plot was cheesy, but it was nice to see anyway. It was good to see Matt LeBlanc doing something different, he made a good West.

Add Space: Above and Beyond to the must watch list, if you haven't seen it already. Another 1 season wonder, with the 2nd half of the season taking on a a much harder edge and getting really good. I watch that one annually.

And of course Farscape. Any real scifi fan knows Farscape. wink

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
I liked the Lost in Space movie. Nothing like the original, and the time-related plot was cheesy, but it was nice to see anyway. It was good to see Matt LeBlanc doing something different, he made a good West.

Yes and we all saw just how big of a movie career LeBlanc had after that....

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 02:50 PM

Well, he did have another 6 years on Friends, so it didn't hurt anything either. Some actors stick with tv, some with movies. Just how it is.

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 02:57 PM

As someone who doesn't care for [modern] sitcoms (and "Friends" being at the top of my no-watch list), I thought Matt LeBlanc was pretty good. At least he gave my wife a reason for wanting to see the movie, other than the miracle that I actually wanted to go to the movies.

But I admit that like with many James Bonds, I enjoyed watching it more at home after a couple of veiwings to really grasp the story-line. Lost in Space was one that really grew on me.

EDIT: I loved how they used the basic design of the original Jupiter II as a launch platform for a more modern craft.
Posted By: Wizard43

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 03:13 PM

For those of you who still enjoy TOS, have you checked out the fan produced Star Trek Continues? I was amazed at how well it was done. Some of the actors don't fit their characters well IMO but the lengths they went to to get the original feel of the series is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/user/StarTrekContinues

Wizard
Posted By: Lucky

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 04:19 PM

I still watch the original series and have been fortunate to meet some of the stars of the various series.

Walter Koenig, Chekov, Original Star Trek

Levar Burton, Geordi La Forge, STTNG

Marina Sirtis, Counselor Troi, STTNG

Robert Duncan McNeill, Lt Tom Paris, ST Voyager

Jeffrey Combs, Commander Shran, ST Enterprise

Connor Trinneer, Commander Charles "Trip" Tucker, ST Enterprise

John Billingsley, Doctor Phlox, ST Enterprise
Posted By: Peally

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 05:04 PM

Lucky you are short biggrin

Perfect for crewing a ship

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Peally
Lucky you are short biggrin

Yeah, I'm only 5'4" hahaha

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/28/14 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Peally

Or flying an A6M2. smile

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/29/14 12:16 PM

Cmdr Shran?!?! Really? After the brilliance of Weyoun and Brunt you credit him as Shran? eek
I grant he was good as Shran, but I never wanted to punch any characters in the face on ST more than Weyoun and Brunt! That's King Joffrey-level acting right there!

The Jedi Master

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/29/14 01:05 PM

Shran was a great character! Enterprise actually managed to make Andorians not silly.
He's referenced in that Axanar short. Loved it every time he called humans "pink skins" to Archer's face. LOL

Re: Who still watches original Star Trek episodes? - 10/29/14 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Cmdr Shran?!?! Really? After the brilliance of Weyoun and Brunt you credit him as Shran? eek
I grant he was good as Shran, but I never wanted to punch any characters in the face on ST more than Weyoun and Brunt! That's King Joffrey-level acting right there!

The Jedi Master

I could have said Herbert West from Reanimator. duck

Actually Shran was the freshest in my mind, that's why I chose him.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums