homepage

Finally bought a smart phone.

Posted By: JimK

Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 03:13 PM

Was tired of my 7 year old LG Cosmos hanging up on my incoming calls all the time.
Looked over the wide variety of smart phones and decided against an Iphone. Everyone
has them and I already have 2 Ipod Touches. Went with a Nokia Lumia Icon 929. Should
get it Friday, ordered through Amazon no tax and already upgraded account with Verizon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWEMZ1E

Now this the only place I want to find Windows 8.1 on a phone.
Posted By: Boilerplate*

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 03:15 PM

Still biding my time with a Blackberry. It does what I want it too without distractions.
Posted By: Wireman

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 03:19 PM

Reverted to Semaphores here. No need for a data plan now.

Posted By: Peally

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 03:22 PM

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Boilerplate*
Still biding my time with a Blackberry. It does what I want it too without distractions.

BB thanks you for helping to keep them in business.
Posted By: mikew

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 03:30 PM

Nothing wrong with semaphore, specially when an iphone is used to increase the range:
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2012/07/07/isle-of-wight-inventor-finally-brings-semaphore-to-the-iphone/
Posted By: Boilerplate*

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Boilerplate*

BB thanks you for helping to keep them in business.

Yep.. mine was refurbished. I'm sure they're raking it in on the aftermarket. hahaha
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 03:50 PM

I've had a Nokia Lumia 920 for almost 2 years, and really like it. It's really short on apps, so if you're expecting to install just anything that's out there, you'll be disappointed, but as a phone with Internet access, calendaring, contact management, etc., I think it works well.

Here's an article by someone who had used iOS and Android for a long time, and then spent a month with a Windows phone:

http://www.zdnet.com/the-windows-phone-one-month-later-7000032820/
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 03:54 PM

I've read nothing but excellent reviews for the Windows Phone. I think its disappointing sales are almost entirely due to poor marketing.
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 04:16 PM

Jim, what Ken said. I too have the Lumia 920, and it is great. The camera quality will stun you. Plus you get to use fun things like OneNote.

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Arthonon
I've had a Nokia Lumia 920 for almost 2 years, and really like it. It's really short on apps, so if you're expecting to install just anything that's out there, you'll be disappointed, but as a phone with Internet access, calendaring, contact management, etc., I think it works well.

Here's an article by someone who had used iOS and Android for a long time, and then spent a month with a Windows phone:

http://www.zdnet.com/the-windows-phone-one-month-later-7000032820/

Thanks for that review. Having been around IOS for years with my Ipod Touches and Ipad2 I did not
want to get into using an Iphone, I had looked at the Sony Xperia Z2 and Z3 but they are not Verizon
phones at all. But I did like the waterproof features and 4k video recording.

But the features that comes on the Icon will work for me just fine. Hardly ever use my DSLR since
its so big and bulky. Having a 20 megapixal camera on my phone will be really handy.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 04:44 PM

I've had a Lumia 1020 for about 9 months and I love it. Very very stable, fast, killer camera and apps for it. I charge it up every 3 days or longer sometimes.
My last phone (first smartphone) was an android and it crashed all the time. Battery barely made it through the day. Had to reset to factory a couple of times as some chrome component would corrupt. Eventually if I didn't reboot it every day, it wouldn't accept or make calls, but would operate otherwise. Missed a lot of calls that way and the boot time was so slow it was a PITA when trying to get the phone working just so I could make or receive a call or text.

Not a fan of W8 on pc, but I do love it for the phone. The Cortana thing seems to work fairly well, unless the car windows are open. Not sure what you use it for beyond speech to text and verbally setting alarms and reminders, but that's on me to learn about. It does have a setting where it will let you know when you have a text and offer to read it to you, that's kind of cool.

Also works as a mobile hotspot, which is very useful. I don't care for using the browser on phones, but I usually have my tablet with me.

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
I've had a Lumia 1020 for about 9 months and I love it. Very very stable, fast, killer camera and apps for it. I charge it up every 3 days or longer sometimes.
My last phone (first smartphone) was an android and it crashed all the time. Battery barely made it through the day. Had to reset to factory a couple of times as some chrome component would corrupt. Eventually if I didn't reboot it every day, it wouldn't accept or make calls, but would operate otherwise. Missed a lot of calls that way and the boot time was so slow it was a PITA when trying to get the phone working just so I could make or receive a call or text.

Not a fan of W8 on pc, but I do love it for the phone. The Cortana thing seems to work fairly well, unless the car windows are open. Not sure what you use it for beyond speech to text and verbally setting alarms and reminders, but that's on me to learn about. It does have a setting where it will let you know when you have a text and offer to read it to you, that's kind of cool.

Also works as a mobile hotspot, which is very useful. I don't care for using the browser on phones, but I usually have my tablet with me.

Wish Verizon had the 1020, can only get it through AT&T here. Was not about to change carriers this time.
Thinking about buying the wireless charger for it to. Bought the 4gb data plan with mobile hotspot. Now
after all these years of only having a Verizon monthly phone bill of $94.00, I am sure it will be much
higher now.
Posted By: Mace71

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 05:24 PM

I have a Nokia Lumia 620 with Windows 8.1 on and love it, the newest update (Cyan) has turned it into a new phone almost. By far the best OS on phones.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 10:40 PM

Interesting little blurb here

Wired Online
Posted By: sinner6

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/10/14 11:26 PM

Another Lumia 1020 user here. Absolutely fantastic device and user experience.
The 45MP camera is no joke and the thing is bulletproof. MS shot themselves in the foot calling it "Windows Phone". It deserves better than the negative connotation that most folks give "Windows".

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/11/14 01:36 AM

Hope this news does not take out Nokia altogether, Since Microsoft bought Nokia in April.

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-to-get-rid-of-nokia-and-windows-phone-brands/
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/11/14 03:41 AM

Lumia 1020 ...is that a smartphone. Must be cause it's expensive. I'll stick to a flip phone as long as i can.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/11/14 04:20 AM

I think it was $100, but I keep my phones until they're dead. LOL

I'd imagine MS will just try to give the phones an identity like the iPhone and now Amazon's Fire phone.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/11/14 12:27 PM

My Android 2.3 phone did crash a lot. My new 4.4 one never does. Occasionally an app crashes and I have to restart the phone before it will work again, but I restart the phone like once a week at most.

The Jedi Master

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/11/14 01:21 PM

An example of how good the camera is on the Icon...

Posted By: 2GvSAP_Mohawk

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/11/14 02:20 PM

I am due for an upgrade next month and really thinking about getting a Lumina Icon or a HTC One7. Currently I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, which I love. However, I don't feel like spending money on smartphones any more, so anything on contract that is free is what I'll pick. Right now, it is the Lumina or the HTC, but I am still undecided on which one. I have never used Windows 8, and I love the google now features of Android 4.4, but still open to trying something new.

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/11/14 04:11 PM

Try this...

Re: Finally bought a smart phone. - 09/13/14 02:31 AM

It arrived this afternoon, damn UPS driver left the boxes outside my door and I about tripped over
them to go check the mail. Going to have a talk with the driver for UPS. Gave him access codes and
he stepped beyond them. Anyways the Icon is a great phone when you can get to work, turns out the
one I have had bad SIM card installed and would not initiate the phone with Verizon, had to take
it up to my local Verizon store and have it replaced. After that it was all sysstem go. Love it that
I have synced with my computer and my music,pictures and video are on it. Have not had time to play
with the camera or video taking features yet. Been a very busy day. Will post some shots when time
allows. Phone and mobile hotspot feature works great.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums