homepage

CryEngine 3's Physics Based rendering

Posted By: Farcaster

CryEngine 3's Physics Based rendering - 08/20/14 05:36 PM

[img:center]Racing_teaser_header by Farcaster Portal, on Flickr[/img]

This is an in-game asset for Star Citizen that is sitting in my Hangar right now. It is ridiculously beautiful, but I had to post this promo image for the upcoming race module for the game.

When will something of this fidelity ever be seen for a flight sim?
Posted By: JimK

Re: CryEngine 3's Physics Based rendering - 08/20/14 05:40 PM

I love the video that goes along with it.
Can`t wait to explore in Star Citizen.

Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: CryEngine 3's Physics Based rendering - 08/20/14 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Farcaster

The moment a flightsim collects some 50 million $ via crowd funding and people are willing to spend up to several hundred bucks for a virtual aircraft.

And if this was a flightsim the forums would be full of people going "Sure it looks pretty, but did they really have to model the F version? And why the red paint job, which has only ever been used in the 2324 tournament in four races?! I am totally disappointed and won't buy the sim. Oh well, I still have European Air War installed."

wink
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: CryEngine 3's Physics Based rendering - 08/20/14 05:58 PM

LOL Para. It's both a funny and sad observation you bring up about us flight simmers.
Posted By: Farcaster

Re: CryEngine 3's Physics Based rendering - 08/20/14 05:59 PM

Dunno if you've been to the RSI forums for Star Citizen, but that hypothetical question you ask would not seem out of place, lol.

Rather than flying my Hornet this week, all I've been doing is climbing in and out of my M50 and walking around it to admire it. It's like two giant engines strapped to a barkolounger.
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: CryEngine 3's Physics Based rendering - 08/20/14 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
Originally Posted By: Farcaster

The moment a flightsim collects some 50 million $ via crowd funding and people are willing to spend up to several hundred bucks for a virtual aircraft.

And if this was a flightsim the forums would be full of people going "Sure it looks pretty, but did they really have to model the F version? And why the red paint job, which has only ever been used in the 2324 tournament in four races?! I am totally disappointed and won't buy the sim. Oh well, I still have European Air War installed."

wink

It is largely because Star Citizen is an MMO and people spend absurd amounts of money on MMOs. A lot of people see the gameplay as work, and see spending $300 a way to avoid ~100 hours of work (in game tasks). For the amount of money per hour they make at their real jobs, they do have a point... but if the gameplay is work like, why bother playing in the first place? Because it is an MMO. It truly is an interesting business model that certainly does work well.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: CryEngine 3's Physics Based rendering - 08/20/14 08:18 PM

It may work well, but I will never understand the mindset it appeals to. It doesn't appeal to me in the slightest bit.

The Jedi Master

Re: CryEngine 3's Physics Based rendering - 08/20/14 10:05 PM

Just fired up the Star Citizen Launcher and it started to apply a patch. 9800mb patch.
Still patching as I type.
Posted By: Dart

Re: CryEngine 3's Physics Based rendering - 08/21/14 12:23 AM

Ha ha...I couldn't resist doing this after watching the first part of the YouTube movie:

Five thousand years later....

Posted By: K6_Scorpion

Re: CryEngine 3's Physics Based rendering - 08/21/14 01:52 AM

Co-op capable, goal oriented, private server capable, it's got a Sci Fi theme, I get to trade, ride along the development of the game and it looks pretty. Seems like what I wanted to X series to end up as... oh and it's got a creator with a game developing resume that I hold in high esteem and feel that he's got vision and passion.

It's not for everyone, but you can ride along in my little space ship with me when it's up and running though. smile
Posted By: K6_Scorpion

Re: CryEngine 3's Physics Based rendering - 08/21/14 02:00 AM

No peeing in the hot tub though...

Re: CryEngine 3's Physics Based rendering - 08/21/14 02:12 AM

Will look so much better when the new hanger is released. Not about to drop that much cash on it yet though.
Have already spent $450.
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: CryEngine 3's Physics Based rendering - 08/21/14 09:09 AM

Originally Posted By: JimK

Have already spent $450.

jawdrop

I have an Aurora. With the LN upgrade. 45$.

biggrin
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: CryEngine 3's Physics Based rendering - 08/21/14 09:56 AM

screwy
Says the guy who is almost a Grand Ardmiral help

And then his GTX580 died leaving me with an old G210 until I find a replacement, so I can't look at the nice new Connie and old M50 in my hangar
© 2024 SimHQ Forums