homepage

How to get rid of cockroaches?

Posted By: Legend

How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 02:37 AM

Sunday evening... a nice, quiet evening in Casa Legend. I was reading A dance with Dragons*, in my Kindle reader. My wife was buying stuff on Taobao with her iPad. Daughter sleeping in her room.
Suddenly, I heard footsteps. Coming from the wall. A shadow fell over my book! I looked up... and there it was... a cockroach. Body, more than two centimeters. Eyes, beady and hungry.
Not willing to destroy the wall by leaving it splattered with blood and entrails, I grabbed the vacuum cleaner from the supplies room (yes, my Chinese wife knows and understands the joke, and even told it once in English class) and chased it across the wall, until it was sucked away, never to be seen again.
Later that evening, it's slightly smaller brother (or sister?) looked at me from behind the toilet bowl when I was emptying my bladder. And yesterday, yet another one scurried across the floor and disappeared under a cupboard.

The problem is clear. Either they leave, or they will be killed. But how best to get rid of them? And, in a eco-friendly matter - not only because I respect nature (with the exception of cockroaches and mosquitos) but also because I have a very curious one-year old daughter crawling around the apartment, who will put everthing she finds in her mouth as one-year-olds are known to do. So open patches of poison are out of the question.
The apartment itself is clean (to a Dutch standard!) and there is no food left in the open.

* A great series of books, GRRM's Song Of Ice And Fire, but it gets a bit tiresome that even in the narrative he always uses archaic words when it's not necessary. "The Wildlings are outside", Mr GRRM. Not, "The Wildlings are without". A babe is a good-looking young, yet of legal age, lady. And "four-and-twenty" is correct in Dutch, but in English it's "twenty-four".
Posted By: Peally

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 02:49 AM

Nuke it from orbit?

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 02:51 AM

That *may* damage the walls, so if there's another method...
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 03:05 AM

Can't help you, but the fact that it is an apartment doesn't sound good. Even if you are clean, your neighbors probably aren't and are likely the source of the initial problem.

If you find a way to kill them, do let us know though. As I understand they are very difficult to remove...
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 03:16 AM

Diatomaceous earth applied as a fine powder works very well to eliminate cockroaches as long as it remains in place and dry. Diatomaceous earth is harmless to humans and feels like talcum powder. Most insects, including bed bugs, are vulnerable to it.
Posted By: JimK

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 03:21 AM

Its your surrounding that are causing the invasion. No stopping them without Flamethrowers.

Never forget the day I took my son who 3 at the time down to a Ben Franklin Store Downtown.
Steam heat, Cockroaches the size of mice. Took him downstairs to check out the toys and he
say`s "Dad, Look a mouse". look over and see that Cockroach the size of a mouse and give it
kick, its spins down the aisle onto its back and like a turtle, could not flip back over.
So I took him for a closer look and he was ready to try pick it up. Took a box off the shelf
quickly and smashed him. He was upset about it. Told him, that was no mouse, just a BUG. He
was happy with that. We later learned he needed glasses.
Posted By: Paul Rix

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Peally
Nuke it from orbit?
Originally Posted By: Legend
That *may* damage the walls, so if there's another method...
It's the only way to be sure wink
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 04:08 AM

Fresh bay leaves apparently work great with keeping them away. Might be a little expensive out of Cityshop, can't remember...

Here in HK, I'm blessed with a full family of geckos sharing the apartment with us. They do a fantastic job.

Cheers,
Slug

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 04:39 AM

Thanks for the tip KrazikanuK, will look into that (although I'm a bit scared of leaving that around the house... like I said, daughter dear is extremely curious and puts everything she finds in her mouth).

Paul, if I damage the wall, the only thing that is sure is that #1 spousal unit will make me sleep on the couch. In the park. At -25°C.

Sluggish, sounds interesting as well, the bay leaves. I think I saw a large bag for only a few kuai at the Metro recently. And a gecko in the house doesn't sound too bad as well - they also eat mosquito's, right?
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 05:20 AM

1-A box of wooden strike anywhere matches
2-Air rifle (bb gun).
Pump, drop the match down the barrel tip facing out, have fun.

attack
Posted By: Paul Rix

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 07:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Legend

Paul, if I damage the wall, the only thing that is sure is that #1 spousal unit will make me sleep on the couch. In the park. At -25°C.

Sorry, I couldn't resist playing along with Peally's Aliens quote...

#17:
Aliens quotes..
Posted By: U-96

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 07:47 AM

If you can't nuke it from orbit, you're going to have to aim for the nerve stem...

Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 08:28 AM

Yep, geckos also eat mossies, they gorge on them. And smart little fellows too, they hang under the lampshades at night !

Found this.
http://bugasalt.com/

Surprised nobody got one yet on SimHQ yet, you could be the first.

Cheers,
Slug
Posted By: PV1

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 09:57 AM

Those are going to be pretty big geckos to
eat 2cm roaches. Much bigger than the ones
I watched eating moths around their favourite
lamp on the ceiling in my room in Nicaragua
this spring.

If you've got roaches, you've got ways for them
to get in. I would tend to go for a caulking
gun full of tough silicone or acrylic sealant,
and plug every seam and hole in the apartment.
Add seals around the external doors. Then you
will only have to deal with ones that are living
in your goods and furnishings, which can be
exterminated in a variety of ways, such as
fumigating items in a large plastic bag filled
with CO2 for 24 hours. This might have to be
repeated in a month or two to get any that have
hatched from eggs in the interim. This process
will kill anything, so you may get rid of pests
you didn't know you had.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 12:53 PM

I'm sorry, I'm just laughing at the relation of the words "big" and "2 cm". Around here, that's an ant.
Roaches in FL are usually 2-3" or a bit more, you can do the math conversion. wink

The Jedi Master
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 01:12 PM

I think there's a poisonous spider native originally to Australia which really likes cockroaches. You might want to introduce a pair or two to your apartment building so they can thrive on the meals available.
Posted By: RogueRunner

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 10:11 PM

A bottle of Jays Fluid down the drain keeps my cockroaches at bay for a whole season.
Posted By: shan2

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Sluggish Controls
Yep, geckos also eat mossies, they gorge on them. And smart little fellows too, they hang under the lampshades at night !

Found this.
http://bugasalt.com/

Surprised nobody got one yet on SimHQ yet, you could be the first.

Cheers,
Slug

The geckos have trouble with some of the larger cockroaches. I recommend iguanas.

Actually, I have that salt shotgun. wink
Posted By: Aero

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 10:49 PM

Hire professionals, or better have your landlord hire professionals. As Flogger rightly points out, it has to be the entire building that's treated and your landlord may want to poke about your neighbors to see that they aren't leaving too many old pizza boxes and nasty dishes around (like mice and rats, there will pretty much *always* be roaches about, but you only really see them when they are living the bug equivalent of the high life). There may be no way around using dangerous poisons, but there are poisons which quickly decay and are relatively eco-friendly (there's a whole eco-friendly extermination industry, though that could be more advertising than anything else).

Quite simply, nothing else will work. They are tenacious. Nuking from orbit isn't even likely to be effective.
Posted By: kludger

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 10:54 PM

Had to deal with cockroaches a few times when living in the barracks in TX and AC went out and open windows let them in, and also then in college renting cheap apartments:

1. Seal whatever is letting them in or attracting them if you can find it
2. Use Cockroach Traps to kill the ones that are in
Posted By: Master

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/06/14 11:34 PM

We never had a problem with roaches and I know why. We have brown recluse spiders all over. If you give me your address I'll mail you a few egg sacks and you can start growing your own.
Posted By: December

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/07/14 12:13 AM

I have been breeding roaches to feed to my Bearded dragon, I quite like them. Put them in a dark container with some cardboard egg containers and food and they are very happy. I breed smaller "running" roaches.

We have the big ugly black ones which freak me out so we use "cockroach hotel" traps. They are flat boxes with slits for the roach to enter and inside is a nice smelling attractant surrounded by superglue, the roaches can't resist the smell and get stuck.
Posted By: SkateZilla

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/07/14 12:22 AM

MIB is good at killin' roaches.

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/07/14 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: December

We have the big ugly black ones which freak me out so we use "cockroach hotel" traps. They are flat boxes with slits for the roach to enter and inside is a nice smelling attractant surrounded by superglue, the roaches can't resist the smell and get stuck.

We have the same kind of traps for mice. Picked up one trap and was so full of dead mice it actually felt heavy.
The size of the roach we saw downtown would have fit that no problem to. Talked to a local exterminator and they
told me its the rats the size of cats that scare them, and they eat those roaches.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/07/14 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
I think there's a poisonous spider native originally to Australia which really likes cockroaches. You might want to introduce a pair or two to your apartment building so they can thrive on the meals available.

a curious child + spider. memory's not sharp but i recall someone sharing that he/she ate a spider as a child. turned back to the parents with the spider's legs hanging from the mouth.

i think it was someone from this forum.

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/07/14 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: oselisan

a curious child + spider. memory's not sharp but i recall someone sharing that he/she ate a spider as a child. turned back to the parents with the spider's legs hanging from the mouth.

Yep, that was me, my mother even in her early 80`s still reminds me about it.
No deadly spiders here, even though now they come fruit trucks. Brown Recluse
has killed a few.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/07/14 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: JimK
Originally Posted By: oselisan

Yep, that was me, my mother even in her early 80`s still reminds me about it.
No deadly spiders here, even though now they come fruit trucks. Brown Recluse
has killed a few.

i think that was quite cool that's why i remembered it thumbsup something to shame/motivate adult arachnophobes.
Posted By: December

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/07/14 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: JimK
Originally Posted By: December

We have the same kind of traps for mice. Picked up one trap and was so full of dead mice it actually felt heavy.
The size of the roach we saw downtown would have fit that no problem to. Talked to a local exterminator and they
told me its the rats the size of cats that scare them, and they eat those roaches.

We have the bigger versions for mice too, but I feel bad for the mice frown
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: How to get rid of cockroaches? - 08/07/14 08:44 AM

I've done it - in a total ghettoplex where there were three inch monster roaches and thousands upon thousands of smaller ones. If you went out to the kitchen at 3am there'd be maybe 3 or 4 hundred of them on the floors and counters.

This was a 4 unit building within the complex. I used Raid Max around the entire building perimeter. The first time I used up two cans, after that I managed to squeak by with one can for the whole perimeter, and did this once per week.

I got the neighbors to pitch in on the cost (that stuff was like $7 per can circa 1993, no idea what it costs now).

After about five weeks the problem was maybe 95% solved, after maybe 3 months of doing this we seldom saw roaches anymore - despite the entire remainder of the ghettoplex being insanely infested.

$28 a month in pesticide, and about 80 minutes work per month - but money wise I was only out $3.50 a month (our household $7 monthly share split between two of us).

I was in a very specific set of circumstances that allowed this to be a practical approach - for most people there'd obviously be better options.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums