homepage

World Cup

Posted By: KraziKanuK

World Cup - 06/09/14 12:50 AM

The greatest football tournament is about to begin in a few days.

Who do you pick to be the winner?

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/groups/
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: World Cup - 06/09/14 02:19 AM

I'll take a wild guess and say Haiti.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: World Cup - 06/09/14 02:22 AM

$$ Fifa $$
Posted By: kaa

Re: World Cup - 06/09/14 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Ajay
$$ Fifa $$

Yes , money money money !!! Officially , in the media it is systematically called "FIFA World Cup" and nothing else, it sounds kind of ridiculous...
Posted By: Kodiak

Re: World Cup - 06/09/14 03:56 PM

Brazil, or Germany.
Posted By: Mace71

Re: World Cup - 06/09/14 04:53 PM

USA

Pffffttttt, no sorry I jest biggrin

Re: World Cup - 06/09/14 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
USA

Pffffttttt, no sorry I jest biggrin
We have a German coach so you never know!
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: World Cup - 06/09/14 04:56 PM

LOL biggrin

Brazil
Posted By: Feetwet

Re: World Cup - 06/09/14 05:33 PM

I am afraid the US may not win a single game in our bracket. And NO, having Landon Donovan on the squad would not change that!

I don't have a prediction on who will win, but I KNOW my boss will catch me at least 3 times watching.

S
Posted By: Rakov

Re: World Cup - 06/09/14 06:07 PM

The question is, will I be able to avoid the news before I torrent the matches I really want to see?

Prediction:

News =15, Rakov = 5.

Oh and Bayern Munich and the Nationalists for the win.
Posted By: kludger

Re: World Cup - 06/09/14 06:12 PM

I'm hoping we get some surprise winner, Argentina or Belgium maybe...

Either way I just hope to see the beautiful game and not a bunch of diving and red cards as seems to happen most WC's.

Also getting myself ready to stop reading the usual forums and news sites during the day, until I can watch the recorded DVR games each night to avoid getting spoiled on the results.

Re: World Cup - 06/09/14 06:29 PM

Ipad, espn360, and a good hiding spot. No avoidance needed. yep

Re: World Cup - 06/09/14 08:33 PM

Hehe Feetwet biggrin
Posted By: DBond

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 01:58 AM

I'll go out on a limb and say Argentina. So many attacking options, and a solid squad throughout. Almost homefield advantage without the expectation and pressure that will fall upon Brazil. Their motivation to win it, in Brazil, should be very high indeed.

Spain is an obvious choice, but all good things must come to an end. Still a threat to win it of course, but I suspect they will fall just short, a semifinalist at the least.

Germany is another favorite. I love their midfield, but there are questions for me at the back. Lahm's a great player, but I still think the defense will let them down.

Netherlands are another great team, but they always seem to implode at the wrong time and in major tournaments. I think squad harmony and chemistry is an issue for them. And they are not guaranteed to emerge from their group.

Brazil? Another squad full of talent, and what a story it would be. But the weight of expectation will be very difficult to overcome. Ya never know though.

Belgium is a darkhorse. They are entering a 'golden generation', and though I think they won't win now, they will should be among the favorites in Russia. I would love to see Belgium win it, I just suspect it's beyond them this year, but the experience should prove invaluable down the line. Should win their group and maybe get a favorable matchup in the knockouts.

France without Ribery? They seem to have less drama this time around, but not a world cup winning squad in my opinion.

Regardless, can't wait. I just have to suspend my intense hatred of FIFA and Sepp Blatter for a few weeks. That said, I do have empathy for the Brazilian people and I hope they are heard and not completely shunted to the side. Their protests are genuine. I don't mean to politicize, but I also can't blindly enjoy the tournament without considering it's effects on all levels.
Posted By: WileECoyote

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 02:38 AM

Argentina? No freaking way, our performance in this World Cup will be embarrassing, I tell you... Our work performance will be embarrassing, too: we're installing TV sets all over the office. Come to work, seat at the computer... and watch the matches! Between you watching or someone else shouting at the TV, I'm pretty sure nobody will work.

As to the winner, my money is with Brazil as much as I'd hate that. biggrin If not, then Germany or England.
Posted By: Harry-the-Ruskie

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 06:13 AM

Anyone to win is fine as long it is not bloody Portugal, Argentina, Brazil, Spain or Germany.
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 11:44 AM

You can never, ever rule out Italy. They have always managed to play a great tournament despite being very lackluster in the run up to World and Euro Cups. They will find a way to play, sneak and cheat stirthepot their way at least into the quarter finals. biggrin

Belgium has a great team, but I doubt they will win the Cup this year. Maybe during the Euro in 2016.

IMO the Spanish team is now past its prime, many of their great players are growing old, and they had a tough season. I don't know how good the chemistry is within the team, with players from three seperate teams that don't like each other - Real, Atlético and Barca.

Brasil is a natural contender, but DBond is right, the pressure on them will be enormous. And they are relying too much on Neymar, IMO.

Germany is always strong on paper and should be one of the teams to win, but in the past the players always lost their cool during the important matches against bogey teams like Italy and Spain. And many of the important players have been injured until very recently, and their fitness level is nothing near 100% - Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Neuer. Marco Reus got injured during the final test match against Armenia and dropped out of the team.

Let's see who this year's surprise team will be (like Australia in 2006).
Posted By: Chucky

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 12:22 PM

This will be my first ever world cup with no TV.I'm not sure if that's a blessing or not?

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Chucky
This will be my first ever world cup with no TV.I'm not sure if that's a blessing or not?
Is it not streamed anywhere online? Maybe ESPN?
Posted By: Chucky

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 12:28 PM

If it's a live stream then it's a no-no as I gave up my licence last August.

Maybe it's just as well,England have a habit of always disappointing,so at least I won't have to go through that again.

I may watch a few choice matches on catch-up,I'm not sure.
Posted By: Brun

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 01:10 PM

Something for Ajay...

Posted By: Dart

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 02:36 PM

I heard they're going to CGI in some blood splatter and spurts to give some credibility to the tough men rolling around on the ground crying at the simplest of brushes from other players.
Posted By: December

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Brun
Something for Ajay...

LOL a billion dollar reserve confused
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 04:29 PM

Has it really been 4 years since the last world Cup ? The one with all those annoying kazoos ?

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: WangoTango
Has it really been 4 years since the last world Cup ? The one with all those annoying kazoos ?
And the even more annoying Shakira song.
Posted By: DBond

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 05:03 PM

Those were called Vuvuzelas and I agree they were annoying.

This World Cup will have something called a Caxirola. Has anyone heard it?
Posted By: Rakov

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 05:20 PM

What happened to drums and singing?
Posted By: MigBuster

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 05:57 PM

Iran V England for the Wooden spoon - would be Scotland but they never seem to qualify these days!

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 06:47 PM

Thankfully the Caxirola has been banned from the stadiums for this WC, couldn't stand the vuvuzela sound in SA.

Re: World Cup - 06/10/14 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: DBond
Those were called Vuvuzelas and I agree they were annoying.

This World Cup will have something called a Caxirola. Has anyone heard it?

For what I can find, it's like a maraca but made of plastic with synthetic beans inside, whatever that might mean. Makes a rattling sound, so, not loud at all. Thanks good.

Re: World Cup - 06/11/14 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Brun
Something for Ajay...

Cool , i'll watch that tonight smile

edit- Nice, and like i said in an earlier topic..i hope we are not unlucky enough to win any future bid if the Qatar one falls through and we are back in the running.
Posted By: jack72

Re: World Cup - 06/11/14 01:35 PM

I heard that a lot of hollywood talent agents will be going to the matches to see if they can find any good actors on the teams.

Also, at the end of the World Cup, Oscars will be handed out for the best dive, and best injury recovery within a 30 second mark.
Posted By: trindade

Re: World Cup - 06/11/14 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
Brasil is a natural contender, but DBond is right, the pressure on them will be enormous. And they are relying too much on Neymar, IMO.

Maybe, but Scolari knows quite well how to take advantage of pressure. Euro 2014 with portugal was a good example, eventhough we were not a contender the expectations were high around here. We have to wait one or two games to see who's playing better and then do the bets..

Re: World Cup - 06/11/14 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: jack72
I heard that a lot of hollywood talent agents will be going to the matches to see if they can find any good actors on the teams.

Also, at the end of the World Cup, Oscars will be handed out for the best dive, and best injury recovery within a 30 second mark.

I love the game but this is just classic

Re: World Cup - 06/11/14 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: trindade

Maybe, but Scolari knows quite well how to take advantage of pressure. Euro 2014 with portugal was a good example, eventhough we were not a contender the expectations were high around here. We have to wait one or two games to see who's playing better and then do the bets..

Yeah I am also really surprised at the huge Neymar expectations, he has not exactly set the world on fire at Barca yet.

Re: World Cup - 06/11/14 09:08 PM

I'm curious about how the Portuguese team is perceived at home: do you feel that the team is built too much around Ronaldo? I mean there are other good players in your team, like Coentrão, Pepe, Vieirinha, Almeida and Nani, but would the team "work" without Ronaldo (from a psychological point of view)?

At least here, the media are totally focused on Ronaldo and whether he would be able to play on Monday. Granted, he is one of the best players in the world, even though I can't stand his antics. He is a painstaking, hard-working perfectionist, and he is not just relying on his talent. But still. wink

Re: World Cup - 06/11/14 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Chucky
Is it not streamed anywhere online? Maybe ESPN?

Or the local pub?

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 01:57 AM

Australia beats Chile, beats Netherlands , beats Spain, beats Spain again..advances to next round..beats Brazil 4-0...soccer world implodes.

You heard it here first chaps biggrin
Posted By: trindade

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 10:33 AM

I'm curious about how the Portuguese team is perceived at home: do you feel that the team is built too much around Ronaldo? I mean there are other good players in your team, like Coentrão, Pepe, Vieirinha, Almeida and Nani, but would the team "work" without Ronaldo (from a psychological point of view)?

At least here, the media are totally focused on Ronaldo and whether he would be able to play on Monday. Granted, he is one of the best players in the world, even though I can't stand his antics. He is a painstaking, hard-working perfectionist, and he is not just relying on his talent. But still. wink

Yeah unfortunately Ronaldo is the engine of the team, not just psychologically but as a "brain"! Since players like Rui Costa, Figo, Simão, Pauleta and others left the Portuguese team we have a great dependency of him. We have good values popping up such as William Carvalho and Vieirinha but the team as a whole is IMO a bit weak comparing with the previous generation.
Posted By: bones

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 02:10 PM

My faves in order are:

Spain
Portugal
Argentina

But that's just me...

v6,
boNes

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 05:33 PM

Almost there, 1 hour for opening ceremony...

And speaking of opening ceremonies, we were talking about this one at the office. Remember this fail?

I laughed then, and I'm laughing now. biggrin

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 05:44 PM

Haha good one, there must've been a problem with that 1994 WC ball biggrin

Looking forward to the first match thumbsup

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 05:51 PM

Which country does the USA team play first?

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Which country does the USA team play first?

The first US match is Monday against Ghana, official calendar here:
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 05:58 PM

thumbsup

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Dart
I heard they're going to CGI in some blood splatter and spurts to give some credibility to the tough men rolling around on the ground crying at the simplest of brushes from other players.

Originally Posted By: jack72

Focus on the beautiful game biggrin

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 08:40 PM

thumbsup

I made that!!!

It went live at 5pm Monday but I thought I'd wait to see how long it took for it to be posted here. 30 million YouTube views in three days beercheers

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 09:01 PM

Really? Are you a graphics designer, or 3D artist? In any case, great job! thumbsup cheers

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 09:21 PM

Wow Brun, outstanding work!
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 09:23 PM

GO CROATIA GO !! End this farse for once so we cant care about it.

http://www.videosvirais.com.br/esse-jorn...ruinar-o-brasil

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 09:25 PM

Oh hi Blade. Long time no see!

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 09:45 PM

Hello, how is the transmission of the games out there ? here they muffled the background audio becouse during the opening the audience were chanting hey Dilma, go f#@%¨¨ youself when they saw the president, and out PT.

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 10:38 PM

Great job Brun, that was great! Wish Ribery and Ibra were in the WC like they are in that vid biggrin

Blade_RJ, the broadcast was clear but we could not hear or understand any of the chanting.

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 11:11 PM

Thanks all. I worked my arse off for six months over that so it's good to know it's appreciated. There are 30 second edits for TV commercials as well, I saw one of them at half time this evening. There's also a billboard in Times Square, and life-size (or thereabouts) mannequins of the characters in Nike stores around the world.

As for the film. I was 3D modelling supervisor for the environments and props, but did a lot of the modelling and texturing myself as well (sometimes it's the only way to get it done properly). Notable things being the stadium, astronaut, a crap ton of stuff in the favela as well as the footballs and the boots. At one point my own models of my actual bikes were in the sports shop but they got removed for some reason. Still slightly annoyed about that, not that it makes much difference to the final thing.

Will probably be sick of seeing it in a months time smile

Re: World Cup - 06/12/14 11:15 PM

There was a few video pauses (10 > 30 secs) in the first half but the audio was still there.
Posted By: gallycadet

Re: World Cup - 06/13/14 02:42 AM

Just an FYI, Univision is streaming all the games from the first two rounds online in the U.S. The websites in spanish, as is the commentary, but the games still international wink

Re: World Cup - 06/13/14 11:44 PM

Its on FB so i dont know if everyone can see it, but this is the outrageous chanting telling the president to go furnicate herself, it was the whole stadium, i'm sure they anticipated this cos during the transmission the audio was muffed https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=670302589710199
Posted By: Pkumar

Re: World Cup - 06/17/14 11:30 AM

Germany...................I am big fan of football games.

Re: World Cup - 06/17/14 12:49 PM

So the US plays Portugal next. Should I be worried?

Considering that Portugal got shellacked by Germany I think they will be out for blood!

Re: World Cup - 06/17/14 01:03 PM

Pepe is out, so at least your players will be safe:

He certainly missed his calling: he should enter MMA. smile smile

Re: World Cup - 06/17/14 01:08 PM

Another collection of Pepe moments: heavy pro-Barca bias, but the scenes speak for themselves, so best ignore the immature style of the video itself.

1:40 is my favorite. wink

Re: World Cup - 06/17/14 01:57 PM

Wow what a great world cup, they invested more the elite toop into that carnivale opening, and now its leaking on the internet that police officers destined to keep the peace during the event are not receiving lunch, instead they are treated with a hot dog (FIFA standarts,only sausage and bread) and soda pops.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/14 05:20 AM

That Pepe is an ugly little thing isn't he, sort of looks like one of those little pug faced dogs.
Posted By: Old Dux

Re: World Cup - 06/18/14 09:29 AM

Would you like to see the FIFA World Cup Tournament become an annual event?

It would greatly improve the chances of England repeating the success of 1966....before we all die.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/14 10:21 AM

Have they got goal line 'technology' yet ?

Would have done a lot for England a few years back..that was pretty crushing stuff.
Posted By: WhoCares

Re: World Cup - 06/18/14 11:04 AM

Yes, in this World Cup they have the goal line technology. But England shouldn't hang its hopes too high, as the technology is coming from a German company grrr

Re: World Cup - 06/18/14 12:22 PM

biggrin

Re: World Cup - 06/18/14 12:24 PM

Just don't mention the war...

Re: World Cup - 06/18/14 01:49 PM

The year was 1966. The place: Wembley Stadium. You have no one but yourselves to blame. biggrin

BTW, on a related note: I am offering a penalty workshop. There's a 25% discount for all who show up with a British passport. neaner duck exitstageleft

Re: World Cup - 06/18/14 02:06 PM

Maybe this is evidence that soccer is growing in popularity in the US?

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/06...bytheNumbers%29

Re: World Cup - 06/18/14 04:02 PM

Ticket pricing

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/prices-matches/index.html

1 Real = $0.44 USD
© 2024 SimHQ Forums