homepage

American vs British comedy

Posted By: No105_Archie

American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 02:28 PM

Just saw this clip on Youtube. We on this rock are stuck between Britain and the States and get a fair bit of both types of comedy. I thought this was pretty good and to a "non British and non American" eye, was pretty accurate smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k2AbqTBxao
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 02:38 PM

I'll view the video later but the first, immediate difference I've personally noticed between US and UK humor is the use of historical events and refences by many UK comedians. You simply don't see that in US comedy. That was actually the first thing that endeared me to Monty Python. I absolutely loved how some of their sketches would make references to the Elizabethan or Victorian era or make references to famous philosophers (for example their soccer match sketch).

This is not to say that I think all US humor is trite but it definitely lacks a certain level of intellectualism to it.
Posted By: Peally

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 02:41 PM

Unfortunately it certainly isn't lacking in bad sexual jokes. I appreciate the English style quite a bit more.
Posted By: Clydewinder

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 03:00 PM

I think on the whole British humor is far more clever and memorable, while American humor is always about familiarity and is trite by design "... and what's the deal with TV dinners..." Comedians in the USA are always trying to "connect" to the audience with familiarity, always catering to the lowest common denominator ( with some exceptions of course )

British humor, on the other hand, almost dares the audience to keep up and is far more nimble and unpredictable.
Posted By: arthur666

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 03:02 PM

I prefer American/Canadian comedians, but British comedy TV.

Some British shows I've enjoyed:

Mighty Boosh
IT Crowd
Peep Show
Snuffbox

(and none of that stuff was very intellectual) :P

EDIT:
Originally Posted By: Clydewinder

British humor, on the other hand, almost dares the audience to keep up and is far more nimble and unpredictable.

Good description!

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 03:03 PM

I think on the whole British humor is far more clever and memorable, while American humor is always about familiarity and is trite by design "... and what's the deal with TV dinners..." Comedians in the USA are always trying to "connect" to the audience with familiarity, always catering to the lowest common denominator ( with some exceptions of course )

+1

Are there any UK equivalents for Larry the Cable Guy? God I sure hope you guys in the UK don't have one!
Posted By: December

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I'll view the video later but the first, immediate difference I've personally noticed between US and UK humor is the use of historical events and refences by many UK comedians. You simply don't see that in US comedy. That was actually the first thing that endeared me to Monty Python. I absolutely loved how some of their sketches would make references to the Elizabethan or Victorian era or make references to famous philosophers (for example their soccer match sketch).

This is not to say that I think all US humor is trite but it definitely lacks a certain level of intellectualism to it.

I grew up with Monty Python and watched it when it was shown on the telly, a lot is very clever but an equal amount is forgettable.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 05:11 PM

I was recently looking to add some stuff to my watch list.I'm now working through 'Married with Children'. I don't usually watch American sit-coms but this is good stuff (so far) but I've only done Season 1 ep 1 and 2 so far winkngrin

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Chucky
I was recently looking to add some stuff to my watch list.I'm now working through 'Married with Children'. I don't usually watch American sit-coms but this is good stuff (so far) but I've only done Season 1 ep 1 and 2 so far winkngrin

Oh dear, that is the epitome of "bad" American sitcoms, so much so that it was actually a parody. Funny stuff, great cast.

Forgot to mention, I loved The Young Ones .

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 05:42 PM

The only thing that made "Married with Children" somewhat, barely watchable for me was Christina Applegate.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 07:08 PM

I can't stand watching it, it's like watching Roseanne exitstageleft

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 07:25 PM

Not a good pick then,at least with you guys?

The trouble is,I've watched all my favourite UK sit-coms to death.What home-grown stuff do you guys watch,or consider 'watchable'?

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 07:55 PM

What home-grown stuff do you guys watch,or consider 'watchable'?

Depends on what genre you like but if you are talking about comedies the only ones I really like are Family Guy, South Park and Mystery Science Theatre 3000. I can't stand the standard sit-coms.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Peally
I can't stand watching it, it's like watching Roseanne exitstageleft

Now way. MwC seemed self-aware, they knew it was crap. Roseanne tried to get all serious sometimes. No thanks.

What home-grown stuff do you guys watch,or consider 'watchable'?

Depends on what genre you like but if you are talking about comedies the only ones I really like are Family Guy, South Park and Mystery Science Theatre 3000. I can't stand the standard sit-coms.

Yeah, I have been watching more animated stuff. I revisited Futurama, started the 4th season of Archer, and have really gotten into Adventure Time, and to a lesser degree, The Regular Show.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 08:17 PM

i never paid much attention to british vs american sense of humor until i saw "coupling". even with the same lines/script, the american version never measured up to the original. after watching the vid i understand why.
Posted By: Mace71

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 08:27 PM

Hey, Canada has Trailer park Boys which is fantastic. I'm almost finished watching all 55 episodes on Netflix and is great humour.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 08:32 PM

Holy sh*t. It's samsquanch Ricky, he's right outside my f'ing door! He's trying to get into my shed!

NSFW for language, but it's pretty entertaining:

Posted By: Nate

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 08:48 PM

Trailer park boys is fantastic. The Films are hilarious too smile

Also for some comedy from this side of he pond, I recommend Black Books

Nate
Posted By: jdbecks

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 10:07 PM

I find some American Humour can be a little over the top, however, I like very dry humour and very subtle biggrin

A great TV series is The League of Gentlemen, its very dark and dry biggrin good times! biggrin

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 10:31 PM

Trailer Park Boys is awesome yep

I just have the last series to watch.
Posted By: Lieste

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/15/14 11:00 PM

I like our "science" humour ~ "The Ape that got lucky", "Civilisation", "It is rocket science!", with their sideways glance at serious subjects mostly 'good science' in the breach if not the observance.

'A serious attempt to trivialise an important subject'.
Posted By: piper

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 12:05 AM

A question for the Brits (and I guess old Brits).

My favorite comedy is Fawlty Towers. Hands down, makes me laugh. Was it funny to you folks? Very short lived series so I guess not, but anyone I know that has seen it over here (US) thinks it was a very funny show.
Posted By: Tarnsman

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 12:09 AM

That is really well said.
Posted By: TychosElk

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: piper
A question for the Brits (and I guess old Brits).

My favorite comedy is Fawlty Towers. Hands down, makes me laugh. Was it funny to you folks? Very short lived series so I guess not, but anyone I know that has seen it over here (US) thinks it was a very funny show.

Fawlty Towers has to be considered a classic - I suspect partly because it was short lived. Sadly, far too many comedy series go on well beyond the point where they become well-worn and repetitive.
Posted By: Coot

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 12:26 AM

I guess for me it depends one what we are comparing. In general, I dislike most modern so called comedy be it American or British. Too much vulgarity and dirty/potty humor. Just isn't funny to me. I'm often concerned and outright angry when I see people enjoying stuff that to me is trash. For example, Some of Ron White's skits can be just flat out goofy and funny but most of the stuff I see him do is utter garbage therefore I shake my head and turn the channel.

Personal taste I suppose is going to override any nationality barrier. I think its unfair to compare them if the attempt is to demean or praise one over another. Both have contributed in great ways the comedy entertainment industry.

England gave us Bob Hope and he in turn gave decades of entertainment to the world. Jonathan Winters is another example of a guy who can be over the top but he didn't have to cop out to perversity and being cruel to someone to get a laugh. Some of his stuff has me rolling on the floor.

Probably my favorite kind of humor comes from guys like Andy Griffith. His stand up comedy routines and story telling in my opinion is second to none and so full of life and laughs.
Posted By: piper

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 12:45 AM

Thanks for the reply TychosElk!

And Coot - feel the same as you. BTW, don't forget about Bill Cosby.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: piper

My favorite comedy is Fawlty Towers.

Fawlty Titties?

Are you the Orally guys?

Yep was awesome, got in my Netflix streaming que...one of these nights.
Posted By: Tarnsman

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 01:18 AM

Whatever you do, don't mention the war.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 01:27 AM

I did once, but I think I got away with it.

Sit coms are often funny but what cracks me up most are game type shows.
8 Out of 10 Cats
Have I got News For You
Would I Lie to You
QI

They can be topical and you need to know the UK political and social system, but they are extremely funny and very British.
Posted By: ArgonV

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 02:42 AM

QI is brilliant.

So was Are You Being Served? and Keeping up Appearances.
Posted By: Coot

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 03:10 AM

Thanks piper, Cosby is another one. His mannerisms and brand of humor is so subtle yet it hits me big sometimes and I feel like I'm the only one who just got what he did.
Posted By: kadiir

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 05:09 AM

IMO, the problem with a lot of American comedy and sit-coms is that most people who watch things like that aren't smart enough to understand them. This is evident by things like incredibly good shows getting canceled far too early (e.g., Bakersfield PD) or modified to the point where they aren't that funny (the first season of Scrubs was MUCH better than all of the later seasons).

It's been a long while, but Bill Hicks comes to mind when I think of smart comedians. Cosby is also good

I'm liking Louis C.K. lately (he's not at a really high level like the foregoing but he's above average).

Sarah Silverman is seems to be pretty smart but she's quite vulgar which is a bit off-putting and she doesn't make me laugh out loud - I just find her mildly amusing and frequently boring.

I'm sure there are others but I rarely find one that's stellar.

Holy crap there are a lot of comedians!
Posted By: PV1

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 07:08 AM

Not a good pick then,at least with you guys?

The trouble is,I've watched all my favourite UK sit-coms to death.What home-grown stuff do you guys watch,or consider 'watchable'?

Just before I cast off from TV for the last time,
by not bothering to respond when NTSC was terminated,
I saw a few episodes of "My Name is Earl" on the
telly, and I thought it was diabolically clever,
all about karma and idiocy in the most brilliant
fashion. No idea if it kept up the quality, but
I found the unspoken philosophical concepts behind
the "sit com" situations to be screamingly funny.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 07:40 AM

Any of you US guys checked out 'Spaced'? Simon Pegg,Nick Frost? Very enjoyable but doesn't seem too well known over here.Might be worth checking out.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 11:23 AM

Great discussion. Nobody mentioned Red Dwarf. Am I the only one weird enough to have loved that show ? smile

Another old one that I used to love was "Up Pompei"

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: December

They can be topical and you need to know the UK political and social system,

Yeah, there are no US game shows that I can think of which have this requirement. About the only game show around that requires the contestants to have any sort of academic knowledge is "Jeopardy".

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 12:33 PM

Red Dwarf? I must know every episode verbatim,watched it so many times. And the thing is I still laugh no matter how many times I watch it. To me it is the best comedy ever produced.
Posted By: Vitesse

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 01:11 PM

Red Dwarf is a boy's programme. Not for girls at all.

Cat: Fish. Fish. Fish. etc.

Only slightly spoiled for me by Craig Charles being, well, Craig Charles IRL.
Posted By: Pielstick

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: TychosElk
Fawlty Towers has to be considered a classic - I suspect partly because it was short lived. Sadly, far too many comedy series go on well beyond the point where they become well-worn and repetitive.

I don't know why Fawlty Towers was stopped after two series, but it was brilliant. John Cleese is fantastic. My wife did some interior design work for his home last year and said he's an extremely intelligent and very nice guy.

Father Ted is another favourite of mine, and that stopped after just three series because Dermot Morgan passed away.

Porridge went to what, three series? Ronnie Barker at his best, you know the script has to be good comedy when at least half of each episode takes place in a prison cell but it's still laugh out loud funny.

Only Fools and Horses was stretched out too far. They should have just left it after the Trotters became millionaires and never made the comeback with the last three episodes. They just weren't up to scratch and left such a great sitcom to exit on a low note.

Dad's Army went out to what, six or seven series and remained fantastic right up to the end. Red Dwarf went to eight series... whilst I wasn't a huge fan of it, Red Dwarf certainly wasn't bad.

When you think about it, there are plenty of fogettable sitcoms as well... The Brittas Empire, Two Point Four Children (Robert Lindsay carried that, along with whoever played the oldest son), Goodnight Sweetheart (Nicholas Lyndhurst just couldn't get away from being Rodney Trotter), The Thin Blue Line...

Perhaps not a sitcom as such, but one of my all time favourite TV characters who never fails to get a laugh out of me is Arthur Daley:

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 01:27 PM

What I also find interesting is there was a 4 year hiatus between the airing of the first and second series of "Fawlty Towers". I think there were 12 episodes made in total?
Posted By: archermav

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Vitesse

Cat: Fish. Fish. Fish. etc.

Only slightly spoiled for me by Craig Charles being, well, Craig Charles IRL.

odd, my wife loves red dwarf, I think it is just pure junk. Does that say anything about me, my wife or you? screwy thumbsup

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 02:00 PM

What I also find interesting is there was a 4 year hiatus between the airing of the first and second series of "Fawlty Towers".

I just went and had a look on Wikipedia. It says the reason for the four year gap was because Connie Booth (Cleese's wife, co-writer and also played Polly) initially didn't want to make a second series. It also says that Cleese and Booth divorced between the first and second series, so that may have had something to do with it as well.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 02:09 PM

My wife would strongly disagree. She is the one who first got me into it. smile

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 04:09 PM

Quote:
odd, my wife loves red dwarf

Quote:
My wife would strongly disagree. She is the one who first got me into it.

That'll teach me for ASSuming!

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 04:43 PM

That'll teach me for ASSuming!

Ha ha! She grew up in a strict home where her parents would only let her watch Public Television. If her parents only knew what type of weird British shows the PBS aired late on a Saturday night. wink

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 05:00 PM

Speaking of "assuming" this is probably my favorite Benny Hill sketch of all time,

Posted By: TDHenderson

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 06:48 PM

Grew up watching Benny Hill, then got into Monty Python, The Young Ones, and later Absolutely Fabulous (probably thanks to MTV when they used to show them back in the late 80's).

I'd have to also add Kids in the Hall from Canada, the "North American Pythons", as one of my favorites.

Trevor
Posted By: Cicero

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/16/14 10:31 PM

A lot of the best British comedy is tempered with a melancholy and poignancy which sometimes translates and sometimes doesn't. Open All Hours, Porridge, Hancock, in particular, come to mind. Best of all is Steptoe and Son which, when you actually pay attention to it, is unremittingly dark and essentially about having the life crushed out of your aspirations. Very heavy for a 30 minute 'light entertainment' show, and ground breaking in many ways.

It's a common thread - it's largely what Fawlty Towers was about: a social climber who was always handicapped by his own crippling social insecurities and those around him. I think Cleese is on records as saying, in effect, that they quit while they were ahead.

My favourite British comedy of the last few years is Bluestone 42, which is about a bomb disposal detachment in Afghanistan. it's funny, it's clever and it doesn't pull its punches whilst being highly respectful of what those guys go through.

What else? Nighty Night from a few years back? It's very funny but extremely, extremely extremely brutally dark.

I don't really watch a great deal of American comedy, I have to admit. I'm going to buy the huge Phil Silvers Show boxset in the near future (Bilko being one of the best sit coms ever made,) and I like the Big Bang Theory but that's it. My mate keeps trying to get me to watch How I Met Your Mother, but I just don't get it. And I'm apparently the only person on earth who hated Curb Your Enthusiasm. I watched Scrubs for a while, but kind of got bored of the hyper-kinetic moralizing.

Now, Arrested Development....that was funny. And I loved 30 Rock as well. Bored To Death was brilliant too.

As for Python. Its funny as hell in places. Other, not so much. They took so much from that crop of comedians like Spike Milligan, Michael Bentine and so on who made it big when they came back from the war, and BBC radio comedy from the 40s and 50s is so sharp and so full of incredibly rich language and intelligence that you can really see where the Pythons got it from.

Of course, Milligan and Bentine took a lot of their inspiration from the Marx Brothers who in turn took their inspiration from American Vaudeville and British and German variety and music hall. It all goes around.
Posted By: PFunk

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/17/14 12:18 AM

UK humor - "know thyself".

US humor - "know thy neighbor".
Posted By: kadiir

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/17/14 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Cicero
And I'm apparently the only person on earth who hated Curb Your Enthusiasm..

You're not the only one smile
Posted By: Legend

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/17/14 07:11 AM

Some friends recently suggested "Mrs Brown's Boys". Didn't have time for it yet, but has anyone here seen that? And what's the verdict?

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/17/14 07:27 AM

I really struggle with Mrs Brown's Boys.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/17/14 11:14 AM

Yeah, Mrs. Brown is pretty bad. It is, however, massively popular.
Posted By: Immermann

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/17/14 11:55 AM

Red Dwarf was great.
I quite liked The New Statesman too.
Posted By: brno537

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/17/14 07:43 PM

open all hours is one of my favourite shows Ronnie barker just sublime with his character but I also liked some short lived American shows like sledgehammer. I like to laugh and enjoy many of the shows mentioned I watch to much tv mostly comedy .

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/17/14 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: brno537
open all hours is one of my favourite shows Ronnie barker just sublime with his character but I also liked some short lived American shows like sledgehammer. I like to laugh and enjoy many of the shows mentioned I watch to much tv mostly comedy .

I'd forgotten about Sledgehammer. Wow, that's going back. Good call!
Posted By: MarutiaOrtia

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/17/14 08:40 PM

Fawlty Towers was one of my favorite shows and it was British sitcom, broadcasted on BBC. My favorite character was Manuel the Spanish guy, who barely speaks English. Great fun.. burnout

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/17/14 10:10 PM

Que?
Posted By: Mace71

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/17/14 11:39 PM

Don't mention the war!
Posted By: Brun

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/17/14 11:44 PM

You started it!

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/18/14 01:29 AM

Is this the right place to come for an argument?

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/19/14 11:46 AM

They are quoting lines from the German Tourist episode of Faulty Towers.

Who is this then?

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/19/14 01:03 PM

PM was (I think) quoting from a MP sketch ~ Arguement Clinic.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/19/14 01:16 PM

He was indeed yep

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/19/14 01:21 PM

You guys are on the ball today! smile
Posted By: TDHenderson

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/19/14 04:52 PM

Kids in the Hall.

Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/19/14 08:54 PM

Cleese said in the extras of Fawlty Towers that the reason he didn't want to go past those 12 was frankly he got bored.

He left MP after 3 years because in his opinion they had "perfected" sketch comedy. They knew how to do it, they'd explored the boundaries, he was tired of it. With FT, he "perfected" situation comedy. While they could've done more, he didn't think it would be anything but retreading existing ground. He was still in favor of the films because they took a single chunk of time, as opposed to series which take months and months each year, and there were so many avenues to explore vs a sketch show or sitcom.

He is a proponent of quality over quantity. smile

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/20/14 12:28 AM

American comedy hasn't really appealed to me lately. I prefer classic comedians like the marx brothers, charlie chaplin or abbott and costello.
Posted By: PV1

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/20/14 03:54 AM

Marx Brother Animal Crackers was released in 1930.
Universal Pictures block the video on youtube
for copyright:

Now that's comedy with legs.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/20/14 09:59 AM

Here's the famous sketch for anyone who wants to see it again:

And another of the all time great sitcom scenes:

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/20/14 10:31 AM

That scene from Dad's Army was great.
Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/20/14 11:05 AM

Another show I've enjoyed in the last couple of years, is the "Live from Apollo" series of stand-up. You get exposed to a great number of talented british (and irish and american too) comedians.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/20/14 12:35 PM

Monty Pyton, Dad's Army, Fawlty Towers, All in the Family etc. would probably all be considered 'offensive' today frown

I loved 'em all biggrin

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/20/14 12:42 PM

Not forgetting of course It Ain't Half Hot Mum and Love Thy Neighbour.The latter would never get air-time nowadays.

I recently re-watched It Ain't Half Hot Mum and it was still very funny.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/20/14 01:32 PM

That scene from Dad's Army was great.

It's genius:

<- A familiar face from Porridge here!

This one is superb:

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/20/14 03:19 PM

Don't forget the slightly more recent Blackadder, also a historical comedy, something you don't see much of anymore!

The Jedi Master

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/20/14 05:05 PM

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=641_1285524199

About an ostrich.
Posted By: MigBuster

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/20/14 05:06 PM

What happens when you combine US and British comedy - anyone seen Episodes: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hpdsk

Saw one - didn't laugh much - but expect there must be at least 1 funny episode in the 3 series

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/20/14 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: MigBuster
What happens when you combine US and British comedy - anyone seen Episodes: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hpdsk

Saw one - didn't laugh much - but expect there must be at least 1 funny episode in the 3 series

Ah, so that's what Matt Leblanc is doing these days...
Posted By: Old Dux

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/20/14 09:29 PM

The 'inhuman brute'....the great Sir Bradley Hardacre - a champion of industrial relations.

My type of humour.

Posted By: ColJamesD

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/21/14 12:33 AM

I don't understand British comedy.

I used to watch Benny Hill and Are You Being Served on TV.

The visual gags are funny.

But when they start talking and doing comedy monologues and the laugh track comes on in the background, I can't comprehend what they said that was funny.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/21/14 01:15 AM

Usually pomposity, non sequiturs, euphemisms or double entendres.

Sometimes highly educated... sometimes schoolboy lavatorial.

Part of the fun is the painful/embarrassing/unexpected.

Without knowing the individual sketch you have difficulty with it isn't possible to guess at the intent.

*Most* good recentish British humour doesn't have a laugh track as such though ~ either only an audience reaction or nothing according to style. This tends to match the laugh and 'joke' better than some of the more awkward examples. Benny Hill I seem to remember had a fairly prolific laugh track that didn't really do the material justice, though some individual sketches are brilliant, much was ..meh and with laughter everywhere it diminished the best.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/21/14 11:30 AM

This has been a great thread. I have not seen "Brass" but will look it up. That short clip was great smile.

Without making any judgement about which is "better or worse" I think we can agree that a few hundred years apart has evolved a different sense of what consistutes funny for for the "typical" ( what ever that may be ) American vs British person. I've gone to a few ( non- mainstream) plays and comedy clubs in the UK, and genearally you can pick out the American tourists in the audience because they don't laugh "in the right places". Conversely most of my British friends don't understand US humour smile

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/21/14 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: ColJamesD
I don't understand British comedy.

I used to watch Benny Hill and Are You Being Served on TV.

The visual gags are funny.

But when they start talking and doing comedy monologues and the laugh track comes on in the background, I can't comprehend what they said that was funny.
You're not a native English speaker so most likely you miss out on the nuances and cultural references required to "get" the jokes. Humor is a highly specialized thing depending on the cultural context it is taking place in.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/21/14 12:47 PM

No love for 'Bottom'? Rick Mayall and Ade Edmonson,the kings of the double entendre.

And also The Inbetweeners,if schoolboy lavatorial humour is your thing.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/21/14 01:22 PM

Quote:
You're not a native English speaker

none of you 'Muricans' can speak the King's English properly biggrin
Posted By: Old Dux

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/21/14 02:55 PM

"I can't stand here, talking to you all day. I've got men to lay off!"

Sir Bradley Hardacre

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/21/14 04:54 PM

Humor is very grounded in cultural background. If yours differs from the comedian's, it's quite likely you won't get it.

The Jedi Master

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/21/14 06:15 PM

agreed 100%

I don't understand French comedy at all

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/21/14 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: No105_Archie
agreed 100%

I don't understand French comedy at all
I also never understood the French obsession with Jerry Lewis. biggrin

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/22/14 02:37 PM

Try watching a sitcom from Papua New Guinea.

Go on, try.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Billzilla

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/22/14 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

Go on, try.

The Jedi Master

Egads no!
I worked there for something like six months. I remember the common themes used in their music -
- "I've just lost my job and I don't know what to do."
- "I've just lost my girlfriend and I don't know what to do."
- "I've just lost my job and girlfriend and don't know what to do."
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/23/14 06:51 AM

Humor is very grounded in cultural background. If yours differs from the comedian's, it's quite likely you won't get it.

The Jedi Master

Not just cultural background but also with one's perspective of life. I recall this comedian being featured (my memory's bad and I hate googling) and the clips from his stand up comedy really annoyed me. They were exaggerated rants about hardships in life and my only reaction after each of his line was, "Get a grip!"

However, he's supposed to be a hit so again, to each his own.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/23/14 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Billzilla

Go on, try.

The Jedi Master

Egads no!
I worked there for something like six months. I remember the common themes used in their music -
- "I've just lost my job and I don't know what to do."
- "I've just lost my girlfriend and I don't know what to do."
- "I've just lost my job and girlfriend and don't know what to do."

Sounds a lot lIke American Country music.

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/23/14 11:56 AM

Old joke: What happens when you play American country music backwards ?

You get out of jail, you get your dog back ,your truck back and your wife back biggrin

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/23/14 01:00 PM

...and you quit drinking. wink

The Jedi Master
Posted By: bolox

Re: American vs British comedy - 05/23/14 09:30 PM

Wrt OP, yes British humour often contains historical/intellectual references ,- and then drops instantly to toilet/schoolboy humour and back again. In some ways I feel this is a form of 'self defense' against accusations of pomposity- something Brits have always had an almost inate urge to ridicule.
One of the prime examples of this has got to be Spitting Image. hugely influencial (watched by more people than voted for the Govt) and was a start for alot of comedians, writers etc

Another favourite of mine is Sir Henry at Rawlinson End, surreal and quintessentially English

Generally my taste is towards the dark, and this is something that UK does very well, very often starting as radio comedies one thing the BBC is very good at supporting)

Following links are NSFW and not for those of sensitive dispositions.

Chris Morris is very dark and surreal and his various shows have 'brought on' some great talents (eg Alan Partridge, Julia Davis - Nighty Night).
It was tempting to put up The Day Today but for sheer difference it has to be Jam

Then still my all time favourite, Monkeydust. Clips are funny but it really does need to be watched as episodes ( rather like League of Gentlemen imho)

all episodes here
http://watchseries.lt/serie/monkey_dust

One other point, I find UK comedies tend to allow 'supporting characters' more room to 'breathe' (and get some funny lines. I wonder if this has anything to do with a tradition of Music Hall/ End of Pier show/ Pantomime?
Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe

Re: American vs British comedy - 07/06/14 01:34 PM

I recently stumbled on this and though you guys might enjoy it
abacus.fm
An internet radio station that plays non stop classic British radio comedies such as The Goon Show. Hancocks Half Hour, The Navy Lark ect. ect.
Posted By: Khai

Re: American vs British comedy - 07/06/14 01:51 PM

for more Radio comedy, check out BBC Radio 4 Extra ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4extra open worldwide) carries Classics like the Navy Lark, the Goon show.. also new classics like Old Harry's Game (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cgsrw)

Re: American vs British comedy - 07/06/14 04:32 PM

Love OHG. "Nigel" snigger.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: American vs British comedy - 07/06/14 06:46 PM

Not sure there is really American and British anymore, since there is so much carryover. Regardless, there's a lot of US humor/comedy that I don't like, but it's not as bad as it as in the 90's.
My wife and I watched "Almost Royal" yesterday and found it hilarious. A smart twist of a "reality" show, where the real part is in the reaction of the Americans meeting these characters and thinking the joke is on them, not themselves. "Georgie and Poppy" (she's hot!) were very in sync with each other and extremely funny. The friends with benefits bit will be a classic. LOL

© 2024 SimHQ Forums