homepage

That makes NO sense!

Posted By: Timothy

That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 03:13 PM

So, I have Facebook, I don't use it a lot, but it helps me keep in touch with people as I'm serving. My best friend from HS living in Denver with her husband. So a few weeks ago, I go up and visit her. I went with her to a birthday party for some of her daughter's friend. So I meet this stunning girl and talk to her for like 15 seconds.

So I get a friend request from her. Well, I have to go to Denver for training. I have some time to kill in the evening there. There is a place that does Salsa dancing. So I drop her a message asking her if she wants to go dance.

She responds, "id love to, but i dont think my fiance would like tht becuz he cnt dance. Thx."

What? Why friend me if you're engaged? Now, I can't unfriend you for risk of offending my friend.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 03:17 PM

So because a female sends you a friend request in FB, that means she's romantically interested?
Posted By: JimK

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 03:21 PM

Well, that was awkward for sure. Life can be complicated by drama. dizzy
Posted By: GrayGhost

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 03:23 PM

Because she didn't make the silly assumption that friend opposite sex = have sex.

Originally Posted By: Timothy
What? Why friend me if you're engaged? Now, I can't unfriend you for risk of offending my friend.
Posted By: TerribleTwo

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 03:28 PM

Heh...

15 sec conversation:

Timothy: Hi, you're stunning... Let's have sex.

Stunning girl: Go away creepy guy.

Timothy: Can I at least get a friend request?

Stunning girl: Fine, now go away. And don't ever contact me on Facebook.

Timothy: Awesome thanks!

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 03:34 PM

LMAO TT.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 03:38 PM

I think he's right. Why is she adding him, someone she essentially doesn't know, when she's attached?
Kind of rude way to reply as well. She's just interested in accumulating as long a list of "friends" as possible, like so many on FB and twitter even if she doesn't know them. Exactly what is she going to post that's relevant to him that she needed to add him? Nothing. There should be a rule that if it isn't someone you'd call to verbally pass on your "wisdom" that you:
A) don't add them as a friend
B) don't post it in the first place
Posted By: Boilerplate*

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 03:43 PM

Some people just add others as friends on a whim. I know a few of those. I wouldn't take it so seriously TBH.
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 03:43 PM

it makes perfect sense!! get with the program.

THIS makes no sense.

Posted By: Arthonon

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: TerribleTwo
Heh...

15 sec conversation:

Timothy: Hi, you're stunning... Let's have sex.

Stunning girl: Go away creepy guy.

Timothy: Can I at least get a friend request?

Stunning girl: Fine, now go away. And don't ever contact me on Facebook.

Timothy: Awesome thanks!

Heh...

Now now, just because that is the way it always goes for YOU is no reason to assume that's the way it goes for everyone else.
Posted By: Force10

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 04:01 PM

Sounds more like a status thing. I would think some folks like to brag "I have 700 friends on FB" trying to be like the popular kid in High School. Kinda like Panzer's ramblings that have no other meaning than to raise his post count....lol

(jk Panzer)

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
So because a female sends you a friend request in FB, that means she's romantically interested?

No, I'm saying it is awkward that I basically introduce myself and next thing I know you're friending me. It's like being introduced to someone and then randomly saying, "Here's my number." It isn't socially acceptable to meet someone, be in a serious relationship, and after being introduced to someone giving your number to them (barring normal reasons like work or something like that).

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Force10
Kinda like Panzer's ramblings that have no other meaning than to raise his post count....lol

(jk Panzer)

Hey now, we all know my meaningless ramblings are confined only to the Last Word thread. wink

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Timothy

No, I'm saying it is awkward that I basically introduce myself and next thing I know you're friending me. It's like being introduced to someone and then randomly saying, "Here's my number." It isn't socially acceptable to meet someone, be in a serious relationship, and after being introduced to someone giving your number to them (barring normal reasons like work or something like that).
Ok, that makes perfect sense. I think force10 hit the nail on the head though. For a lot of people on FB, they add lots of friends simply to say that they have a lot of friends. There's really no substance beyond that.

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 04:27 PM

Wait, does fb show relationship status? If it does and she has him listed that would explain the reaction.

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Wait, does fb show relationship status? .
Only if the user has it enabled.

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Wait, does fb show relationship status? If it does and she has him listed that would explain the reaction.

Nope, not listed as a relationship status. For her, her about section is basically blank, except her sex. She has TONS of status updates, but nothing I could see that indicated relationship, mostly stupid pictures and hanging out with her girlfriends.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 05:00 PM

I'd unfriend the airhead, and immediately give your old HS friend a heads up about why you made that decision.

But then again, I wouldn't have the FB account in the first place, so what do I know... :P
Posted By: coasty

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 05:00 PM

I thought FB friendship was more like RL and not a promise of anything more. My wife and I each have friends of the opposite sex, and I never thought anything more of it. It was good of her to straighten the facts out right up front, letting him know she is engaged.
Posted By: Clydewinder

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 05:09 PM

i think it would be very unlikely that your friend would even notice that you unfriended her
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 05:13 PM

FB is just a tool to me. I don't put too much weight on friend requests and TBH I treat it as a simple contacts list.

Of course if a stunning woman requests to add me as a friend I may have some delusions of grandeur for 15 seconds.

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: oselisan

Of course if a stunning woman requests to add me as a friend I may have some delusions of grandeur for 15 seconds.

If the request isn't in person but purely via FB, those tend to be mostly from Russian mail order brides.

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 09:22 PM

Well, I'd ditch her. I'm not on FB, but if I were I'd rather just keep to family and close friends. It's not like SimHQ where the entire populace hangs on my every word. exitstageleft
Posted By: Destructis

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 11:01 PM

I figure it's a friend request, not a #%&*$# buddy request.

Don't get bent because of the little things. Lots of women out there.
Posted By: VonBarb.

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 11:18 PM

Maybe you or your friend mentionned you were best buddies in HS, or that you were in the military, probably told her you were a great guy, posted humorous and/or interesting stuff, and she thought she'd add you. Maybe a generation gap thing (though you don't sound like you're pushing 60 if you're active duty) but this is how Facebook works. Adding someone as friends doesn't even mean you're interested in even being friends. You just want to know what they're up to without actively engaging in communication with them.

I've met people who added all their co-workers on the first day of a new job. My request box has a few of these guys pending confirmation.

Cheers

Nico
Posted By: JimK

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 11:25 PM

I turn down friend requests all the time on facebook from people I know and those who know them. You
can determine the amount of drama in your life this way easily. Start seeing to many posts from people
you could care less about. Just hit the little icon on the upper right of their name and hide all posts
from that person. Drama gone. I think I have about half my facebook friends set this way. Nice and quiet.
My brother first to go.
Posted By: Section_Eight

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 11:29 PM

Well, it is only her fiance...still time to destroy that smile
Posted By: NH2112

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/29/13 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Boilerplate*
Some people just add others as friends on a whim. I know a few of those. I wouldn't take it so seriously TBH.

Yep, a large percentage of FBers friend anyone and everyone they come into contact with, even if they don't ever plan on contacting them again. If she'd given you her NUMBER, on the other hand....
Posted By: Destructis

Re: That makes NO sense! - 01/30/13 12:36 AM

Same goes with Twitter. I keep having people follow me even though I haven't posted anything in a month.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums