homepage

First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience

Posted By: saghen

First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 03:33 AM

Forgive me if a thread has already been done about this, but...
I was wondering, what was your first online multiplayer gaming experience?
For me, I was pretty much addicted to Bolo on the Mac back in the early 90s,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_%281987_video_game%29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz_gYZ5kMvc
Posted By: Snakeyes

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 03:40 AM

I started with DOOM and Falcon 3.0.
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 04:05 AM

Doom 1 demo.
Posted By: Linebacker

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 04:18 AM

Wow, you go WAY back Saghen smile. I think Bolo might’ve been a “networked” game instead of an “online” (internet) game.

I remember back to circa 1995 when I used a PC program called “Kali” that emulated an IPX network over the internet.

That brings me back to memories of DOOM, Descent, Duke Nukem 3D and some nice EF2000 dogfights.
Posted By: saghen

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Linebacker
Wow, you go WAY back Saghen smile. I think Bolo might’ve been a “networked” game instead of an “online” (internet) game.

I remember back to circa 1995 when I used a PC program called “Kali” that emulated an IPX network over the internet.

That brings me back to memories of DOOM, Descent, Duke Nukem 3D and some nice EF2000 dogfights.

I dunno, you could be right, but I'm almost certain that I played with people not at my school. I don't think I was able to originally play it online, but I think some kind of addition, maybe it was called Bolo Tracker, came out that finally allowed it outside of the LAN. Anyway, who can remember, it was college years. cheers
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 04:42 AM

My first multiplayer experience, where each person was on their own PC, was Maze War on the Macintosh in 1985, using the AppleTalk network:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maze_War

My first play against someone in a different location was Sublogic's Jet program on the Atari ST, when a friend of mine and I called each other over a modem, but it was only two player.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 04:50 AM

My first multiplayer experiences were on a null-modem connection between 2 local PC's. The first games I played that way were Doom, Falcon 3 and World Circuit. One of the first games I played via a true modem connection was Heretic and Apache.
Posted By: Sim

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 05:24 AM

"Shadow Warrior" or "Star Craft" where you called your friends modem to play. Not quite internet.
Proper internet game, I think it was Quake1 addon called Team Fortress.
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 05:41 AM

First ever online multiplayer game...

On AOL there was an online "comedy club" called "Hecklers Online". I became a member around '98 and played an online improv comedy game for a couple years. Might not be able to tell now, but there was a time where I won often for my funnyness...heh. Two or three nights a week online comedians would meet up for different situations, throw out their funniest replies in a chat room and win prizes. I miss that since they closed around 2000.

As far as online MP sims, my first was Janes USAF. I bought a totally decked out computer in 1999 and the first sim I bought was Janes USAF. I flew it single for awhile then figured I'd give it a shot in MP. Got my butt handed to me for a little while, then got good...real good. Joined an online squadron (87FIS), became the XO after about a year, and our squadron ruled the skies for about 5 years. Jane's Combat Net (free online servers) died around '01 and that's when I joined SimHQ.

Now the only sims I want to try are sims that involve MP. SP is fun for half a day in COD or something, but for longevity MP with friends is where it's at. biggrin
Posted By: TankHunter

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 06:12 AM

Steel Beasts. I think I started back in 2003 or so.
Posted By: Navigator

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 06:17 AM

Doom2
Posted By: Hunedog

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 07:42 AM

Fighters Anthology.I can't remember the name, it
was a 3rd party launcher until Jane's Combat.net
took over in late 1998.

tomcat

runningdog
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 08:04 AM

MS Combat Flight Sim on MS Gaming Zone.
You'd connect and have different types of "rooms" you could go to. Some with mods, most without. Chose one specifically without mods. My Spitfire got shot down by an F-16 BVR with a missile. Thank you "no mods" room and cheating pc gamers.
Also my last online gaming for many years.
Posted By: tempusmurphy

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 08:17 AM

First MP had to be the original DOOM on Lan at work (hehe) but first internet game had to be BF1942
Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 10:16 AM

Grand Prix Legends
Posted By: Mace71

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 10:29 AM

Delta Force 1. When it came out people at work were talking about the previous nights games and so I had to wait to get a PC that would run it and then I joined in too smile
Posted By: Schubladentiger

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 10:32 AM

When Warbirds came to Germany - I think 1998?

First flight: Up in the air, first enemy dots appeared I tested my guns - and hung on a chute 3 seconds later.

My joystick trigger was mapped to the same key for bailout...

<:)
Posted By: NimRud

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 10:40 AM

First online experience was Warbirds when it got a server in Germany back in 1998.

Before that it was LAN multiplay with friends playing Command&Conquer, Quake and Doom starting somewhere in 1996.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 11:18 AM

I'm sure it was Quake,probably the first one,it's a long time ago now.

However I do remember me and my Bro playing Quake via a null modem cable.
It was something new to me then,to actually 'see' another human running around in the same game.
I do remember we got quite excited about it.Good times.
Posted By: shadylurker

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 11:47 AM

Air warrior
Posted By: Stormtrooper

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 12:35 PM

Jane's WW2 Fighters in Hyperlobby then later Novalogic Land Warrior.
Posted By: DaveP63

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 12:44 PM

GPL
Posted By: Cworth

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 05:33 PM

Old BBS game before the internet became the big thing..Legend of the Red Dragon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Red_Dragon
Posted By: Moses

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 05:34 PM

Hornet with the original members of VFA-25
Posted By: Gopher

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Schubladentiger
First flight: Up in the air, first enemy dots appeared I tested my guns - and hung on a chute 3 seconds later.

My joystick trigger was mapped to the same key for bailout...

That made me laugh - I played the same prank when I decided to let a friend have a go on WB. biggrin

Personally, I've never strayed past LAN games. Part of it is my general mistrust of people on the other end of the line (including people I regard as friends :o); another part is just that I don't play games as much as I used to.
Posted By: Paul Rix

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 05:54 PM

I didsome multi-player in the mid 90's playing Duke Nukem 3D, and EF2000 amongst others. My first internet multi-player was Air Warrior 3, and then I migrated over to Warbirds in 1999. I retired from that in 2004 and since then I haven't played online due to poor internet access (I live out in the sticks).
Posted By: James McKenzie-Smith

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 05:57 PM

First online game was Tribes. First tried a network game was a single session of Doom at someone else's uni residence. I began to regularly play DOOM 2 and Marathon over a LAN at work (after hours) in Singapore a couple of years later.
Posted By: U-96

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 06:55 PM

Highlands - it was a MUD on telnet in around '91...

After that it was probably Jane's FA/IAF in the mid-late 90s.
Posted By: ForSquirrels

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Cworth
Old BBS game before the internet became the big thing..Legend of the Red Dragon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Red_Dragon

I used to play that. And also TradeWars on a local BBS in the mid-90s. That would probably be my first experience gaming with people I didn't know.

A friend and I used to do local dial-up MP games of different stuff but I can't remember titles. I think it was mostly cheap turn-based games that worked decently over a 14.4k modem (or even worse, I had a 2400bps modem for forever).
Posted By: NavyNuke99

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 07:36 PM

First LAN gaming was DOOM and Quake. First online, X-wing vs. TIE fighter- my friends and I played that one till all hours of the night back in high school, even over our 56K modems that ran the game like a slideshow.
Posted By: Goalie

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 07:42 PM

My first was MS Golf back in 95. My first regular online gaming started with Dela Force 1. I played that game for years on dialup.

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: NavyNuke99
X-wing vs. TIE fighter- my friends and I played that one till all hours of the night back in high school, even over our 56K modems that ran the game like a slideshow.

Ah yes, I remember playing that on the Microsoft "Zone" as well. Yeah, the lag even with 56k modems was pretty bad. I lost count the numbers of times I'd do a head on pass with an enemy player thinking I was still alive after the initial pass and then 5 seconds later my tie fighter would instantly blow up. Sigh.

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/18/12 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Vertigo1
Doom 1 demo.

That was my first LAN game. My first internet game was not long after. Was playing around with a TCP tunneler and was able to redirect the game's IPX packets down a tunnel which I had established with some guy at the University of Saskatchewan. It worked but it was laggy. biggrin
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 12:22 AM

Enemy Engaged: Comanche Hokum around right after its release in the US. I played with a French Canadian named Enforcer who patiently talked me through every noob nuance to get me in a campaign. I also flew against the legendary Starshoy.
Posted By: Cold_Flying

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 12:38 AM

MS Combat Flight Simulator, back in 1998.

Got up at 4 AM so I could fly online for a half an hour or so before leaving for work.

Great fun! smile

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 12:56 AM

You didn't have an F-16 by any chance did you????

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
You didn't have an F-16 by any chance did you????

Who me?

I had a MKI Spitfire with .303s from wingtip to wingtip.

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 01:03 AM

Ok, I'm still looking for that guy...

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Ok, I'm still looking for that guy...

Someone pull out a mod on you?
Posted By: Dervish

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 04:59 AM

Warbirds

I remember my very first kill, an F4U Corsair...almost got buck fever.
Posted By: WOLF257

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 05:25 AM

Quote:
I played with a French Canadian named Enforcer who patiently talked me through every noob nuance to get me in a campaign.

Played Janes Longbow 2 with the same guy, him and Inspector, Snake Eyes ,and Recluse.
Playing the campaign online with those guys was a blast, especially when the internet cooperated and the connection was good.

Longbow2 was my first multiplayer game followed by Jane's F-15 and then European Air War, good times and I really miss them.

WOLF
Posted By: BD-123

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 12:02 PM

EAW on MS Gaming Zone.
I was brilliant at single player, so air combat online would be a piece of cake, how could with mere humans compare with the mighty computer?
Oh dear, how niaeve one was in 1998
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 12:46 PM

1st MP experience:

Populous
and Falcon via null modem cable between my Atary ST and my friend's Amiga in 1989.

1st online experience:

European Air War in 1998.
Posted By: Bearcat99

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 12:48 PM

My first MP experience was in CFS1 on the Zone shortly after 9/11.
Posted By: HogDriver

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 12:49 PM

I think it was Jane's WW2 Fighters or European Air War. My story would be similar to BD-123 and someone else who posted earlier. I thought I was a Sierra Hotel pilot, and when the truth became known, I never flew a competitive flight sim mission online ever again. biggrin

Played some crappy Hellcats game or something, and some early RTS game via LAN with my High School's Macs a few times in 1994 or 1995. Since that was only LAN, I didn't think it would really count for the thread.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 01:17 PM

EAW on the old MS Gaming Zone. Maximum size of battles was 3 v 3 but the stars had to align properly and the gaming gods had to smile on you to get that to work....normally 2 v2. Roger Wilco was the the com system we used. smile

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: No105_Archie
Roger Wilco was the the com system we used. smile
Ah yes, that was also the first voice comms program I ever used. I think they were ultimately bought out by Microsoft?
Posted By: Scott Elson

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 04:56 PM

I think the first time I played against someone on another computer was "Jet" on the Amiga though that was probably a null modem cable run across our apartment.

The next I remember was playing "Knights of the Sky" at MicroProse but with another null modem cable. About the same time we started doing multiplayer dogfights with the flight sim that came on SGI graphics workstations. This still was an internal network.

Also around the same time I was using a modem to connect with the LPMud that one of my friends/coworkers was running from his home but I think that was a direct connection.

A little bit later I was able to play around with a beta of Doom, though once again this would have been across a network. Sandy Petersen had worked for a few years at MicroProse before working at ID. One day he stopped by for a visit and brought a beta copy of Doom for us to check out. They had to send out an email asking us not to play the game during regular hours. I can't remember the exact details but I think it was overloading our network.

We did some dogfighting with a school playing F-15 III but I believe that was a direct network connection.

I think the first internet MP game I played might have been the beta for Ultima Online though, at least in the beginning, that also could have been considered an internal network connection. I thought we just had a normal connection to the game until one day I knew they had said the game wouldn't be available for a while and yet I was still able to log in. After playing for a few minutes and not seeing anyone else I realized that I might have gotten on because we were connect to the internet through our T1 lines to Origin. I sent an email off to one of the guys on the team to let them know I had logged in, in case this might have screwed up something they were testing. He said it wasn't a problem and confirmed that it was our direct connection to the Origin network that let me on.

Elf
Posted By: Timothy

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 04:59 PM

For me, my first online MP game was RTCW. Epic MP, then the free sequel was a blast too. I'd have paid $10 for just the MP, but they gave it away cuz they didn't feel a MP only game would sell.
Posted By: Destructis

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 05:02 PM

I think mine was Doom. My first MMO was a game called The Realm.

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Timothy
For me, my first online MP game was RTCW. Epic MP, then the free sequel was a blast too. I'd have paid $10 for just the MP, but they gave it away cuz they didn't feel a MP only game would sell.

RTCW MP was fun until the servers got overrun by hackers.
Posted By: Brennus

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 05:14 PM

The original Half-Life deathmatch.
Posted By: Timothy

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Timothy

RTCW MP was fun until the servers got overrun by hackers.

Yea, it's why I played on a private server most the times. I mean, nothing was worse than seeing a guy "claim" 120 kills in a 15 minute match.

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Brennus
The original Half-Life deathmatch.

I remember the laser guided rocket launcher. I played multi so much I could whip a rocket around a corner to hit a guy behind cover.

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 09:17 PM

Did anyone here play the ST: Elite Force first person shooters online? Those were fun as heck. It was cool having your own personal photon torpedo launcher. biggrin
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 09:34 PM

Jane's USAF which was a blast, went into Jane's F-18 and then into the original OFP.
Posted By: Archer11

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 09:49 PM

"The Perfect General" and Doom via 0-modem cable in the early 90ies followed by "Worms"(1995). 4 folks hotseat geaming. Now THAT was a lot of fun in our lunchbreaks back then...

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Top Gun
Jane's USAF which was a blast, went into Jane's F-18 and then into the original OFP.

13th MEU!
Posted By: SkateZilla

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 10:11 PM

Jane's Fighters Anthology.
Posted By: Wedge

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 10:24 PM

Original Ghost Recon...I was awe inspired by the graphics and the game play. OGR with Teamspeak was the ultimate in online gaming.
Posted By: Rogered

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 10:47 PM

My first online was EAW on a 56k modem. I was also in the boat where I thought I could fly rings around anything until I got online and someone told me about "full real" settings...what an eye-opener.
Posted By: reconmercs

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 11:01 PM

Mine was Airwarrior, I used to love the dogfights you could get into on that one. I did a bit of BF2 back in college, haven't really done my online gaming since then, I've kinda wanting to get into ARMA 2 multi-player but haven't bit the bullet yet.
Posted By: komemiute

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/19/12 11:28 PM

Ultima Online and Rogue Spear. But internet in Italy was a late arrival.
Posted By: GnuDonkey

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/20/12 04:04 AM

EA 688 Attack Sub. My opponent was a friend who lived two floors below me in our dorm. Intel 8088-2 8 MHz PC XT. 2400 baud modem.
Posted By: EinsteinEP

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/20/12 04:13 AM

Tradewars 2000 via DOORS BBS. It was *the* reason I saved up my money and upgraded the family PC from a 2400 baud to a 9600 baud modem. Oh, the speed!

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/20/12 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By: reconmercs
Mine was Airwarrior, I used to love the dogfights you could get into on that one.
Ah, Airwarrior. That brings back good memories of my younger years in college. I remember players calling the Spitfire the "Dweebfire" because they thought the Spitfire was over-modelled. I usually flew the FW-190A. Gotta love that "screen flashing red" effect whenever you got hit. biggrin
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/20/12 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Vertigo1
Originally Posted By: Top Gun

13th MEU!

that was the group! thumbsup
Posted By: JoeyJoJo

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/21/12 01:09 AM

DOOM was the first MP experience over my high-school's LAN (never could get direct-connect via modem to work); but that was ended pretty quick once the teachers found out. biggrin

A few times a friend and I tried Command & Conquer over dial-up, but it was always such a PITA to connect so we gave up. Then I started using KAHN for MP; but by that time GameSpy was catching on and a lot easier to use

My first "real" online MP experience was Half-life/Team Fortress...on dial-up nope Let's just say I got killed a lot
Posted By: WhoCares

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/21/12 01:28 PM

First multiplayer (LAN) Snipes, back in ~89/90, with ~6 players during apprenticeship.
Not so sure about online multiplayer, most likely OFP.
Posted By: Electra

Re: First Multiplayer (online) Gaming Experience - 11/22/12 04:30 AM

Fighter's Anthology. The battles and subterfuge between squads were epic.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums