homepage

Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care?

Posted By: Force10

Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 06:57 PM

Coffee is pretty much a mainstay in my life and has been for years. I generally have 1 or 2 cups in the morning and a cup in the evening after dinner. If for some reason I don't have coffee at my normal times, I get the caffeine withdrawl headache. Just wondering how many Coffee drinkers we have here.
Posted By: LugnutUSA

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 06:59 PM

I walk a different path.

http://revimgs.bevnet.com/media/monsterenergy/monster-can2.jpg
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 06:59 PM

My body is addicted to caffeine, no doubt about it. If I don't have coffee for a prolonged period of time I always get the withdrawal headaches.
Posted By: JimK

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:00 PM

Make a pot of coffee every morning. Its says its a 12 cup Mr. Coffee. So I guess its only me drinking from it
and its mostly gone by 12 noon. Must be this living at work thing that I drink so much of it, cause its close
by.
Posted By: Destructis

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:01 PM

More than 4 cups a day. Usually 2 or 3 before work, 2 or 3 at work and during the winter a cup or two at night.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:09 PM

I'm to caffeinated beverages what Tony Montana is to cocaine!
Posted By: Fitz505

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:10 PM

Retired truck driver here, so you can guess what my consumption used to be. Now, I'm down to about 3 or 4 cups a day, but make a ritual of it, starting with grinding my coffee beans fresh every morning. I'm a Green Mountain Vermont Blend, type of guy.
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:17 PM

I like coffee, which is why I drink it. Usually 2 cups daily at least, but often 3 or 4, some in the morning, and often in the evening too.

Coffee doesn't give me any real caffeine buzz, and when I sometimes go a day or two with zero coffee I don't seem to have any problems.
Posted By: Mace71

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:29 PM

I don't drink coffee, or any hot drinks.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33

I always knew you were a little weird biggrin
Posted By: Colt40Five

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:32 PM

I've been off the caffeine for years. I might have the odd glass of sweet tea if I'm out to eat but other than that all I drink is water.
Posted By: TankHunter

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:38 PM

No coffee, it is all tea for me.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Chucky

I always knew you were a little weird biggrin

Only a little? screwy
Posted By: Bulletstop

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:39 PM

Ever since I got out, I can't stand the smell of it. I guess I must have lived off it for several years smile.

Bullet

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:39 PM

**Gasp** No tea?
Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:44 PM

I got to have one or two in the morning to get my brain kickstarted, other than that I try to I keep away from it.
If I have any more than that I spend the day hunting for loo's, not always easy in my job out on the bike all day.
Its even worse now as the latest trick there doing in London is putting pay turnstiles in the public loo's, 50p to have a piss, bloody cheek.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

**Gasp** No tea?

Nope and I don't eat crumpets! Yeah, didn't expect that did ya?!
Posted By: Jeevz

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:45 PM

If I didn't think it would kill me I would drink coffee from wake to sleep

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:46 PM

Nope. You surprise me all the time Mace. wink
Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:46 PM

You dont drink tea? unbelievable!

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:51 PM

Nope. You surprise me all the time Mace. wink

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 07:59 PM

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Now see, this is a real shocker. You being British and liking Monty Python. You really are weird!
Posted By: kludger

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 08:02 PM

When I was in the military I didn't drink coffee because I saw it as one of those things mostly "lifers" or old guys did biggrin

But then when I got out and went to college afterwards, Starbucks was just blowing up here in Seattle and all my college mates were drinking coffee during class breaks and so I started drinking coffee to compensate for lack of sleep from studying and work, and it turned out I liked the taste.

I gave up all caffeine for a couple of years to see if it helped with some health problems but after determining it made no difference I went back to drinking coffee and tea because I love the taste.
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 08:10 PM

Never liked coffee, but I will drink hot tea. Not a fan of iced tea, just hot tea.

I'll drink Coke, and that has caffeine, but I am trying not to drink that much of it, just a couple of times a week, maybe.
Posted By: Gopher

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 08:26 PM

I be a tea drinker. I once ruined a perfectly good cup of tea by putting a single grain of coffee into it. Never again.
Posted By: C2Aaircrew

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 08:30 PM

Swilled the "lifer juice" for twenty years in the Navy, cup permanent part of my left hand. Started drinking it at age 12. Wanted to be like dad, was told had to drink it black. They thought I would be dissuaded by the taste. Turned out I'm as stubborn as a mule. Still drink it black. Love the smell of fresh coffee first thing in the morning.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 08:35 PM

I don't drink much during the heat of the summer, but otherwise 2-4 a day. Love having our Keurig, makes great coffee (if you buy the right coffee, of course) and no waste. 1 cream, 1 sugar OR black. There's no in-between.
Posted By: Boilerplate*

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 08:37 PM

Generally 1 to 2 cups in the morning are fine. I've gone a few mornings before without it, however, I won't turn into a grinch if I don't have any.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
I don't drink much during the heat of the summer, but otherwise 2-4 a day. Love having our Keurig, makes great coffee (if you buy the right coffee, of course) and no waste. 1 cream, 1 sugar OR black. There's no in-between.

Keurigs are awesome. yep
Posted By: kilosierra

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 08:44 PM

I bought a 900 € coffee-machine this spring, guess what category I belong to....

And no tea for me.
Posted By: Cold_Gambler

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 08:49 PM

I'm down to 1 coffee on weekdays and 2 on Sat/Sun. If I don't get the one cup I get the withdrawal headache starting at around 11 am.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Boilerplate*

Keurigs are awesome. yep

Indeed they are! They're so easy to use they encourage even MORE coffee drinking. smile
Posted By: Navigator

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 09:41 PM

I have 1 or 2 cups 5 days a week.
Posted By: HarryM

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 09:45 PM

I have about 4 cups a day. I actually stopped drinking coffee for a while a couple of years ago. Unfortunately it REALLY messed up my sleep, without the chemical up/down that my body was used to I was only getting a few hours of sleep a night, so back to coffee it was. Other than that didn't have any pounding headaches, etc that a lot of people report when trying to quit.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 10:00 PM

I like my Aeropress, it cost me about $40 and makes at least as good a cup of coffee as high end coffee machines, including the $10000+ Clover machine.

When made properly, as in not having burned the natural sugars out and causing it to become acidic, coffee is actually naturally semi sweet and there's no real need to add milk or sweeteners. I find a good strong well made black coffee tastes almost like a mocha.

I also do the herb - not that one - but yerba matè, this can be wicked powerful as far as caffeine content depending on how its' prepared.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 10:35 PM

I use a percolator for my multi-cup brews. For single cups, I bring the water to just the edge of a boil in a small pan on the stove top, then throw the ground coffee in. Stir for 30 seconds, then pour into a #2 Melitta drip cone.

Usually it's only sugar, though I do enjoy a good black cup. Cream is rare.
Posted By: NickMow

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 10:36 PM

I switch between Coffee and Tea. Can't work a night shift without a coffee or 3 though !
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Boilerplate*

Keurigs are awesome. yep

Indeed they are! They're so easy to use they encourage even MORE coffee drinking. smile

Yep. I've even starting drinking a bit of tea since I've purchased one.
Posted By: trindade

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 11:30 PM

4, 5 coffees a day here, it's my fuel!
Posted By: Colt40Five

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/15/12 11:32 PM

Coffee Could Be Extinct by 2080

skyisfalling
Posted By: WOLF257

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 12:18 AM

Had to stop drinking coffee at work, coffee and the BS combined to create heartburn that had a blast radius.
Once I stopped drinking coffee at work I just got out of the habit of drinking it at home too.
I still drink way too much tea.

WOLF
Posted By: JoeyJoJo

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 12:32 AM

Never drank coffee until the military when I had 9 months of school training (of course you had to be awake and alert in class). So one guy in my class brought a coffee maker and I started drinking several cups each day just to stay awake. Now I just usually have one 16oz in the morning and I'm good to go; but I still use quite a bit of sugar/cream (can't stand it black)
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 12:48 AM

I don't drink coffee, and the smell of the stuff brewing almost makes me physically ill. I'd rather smell a fart than someone's coffee breath.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 04:53 AM

Originally Posted By: NH2112
I'd rather smell a fart than someone's coffee breath.

What if the fart came from some 300 lbs guy who just had Mexican food and the coffee breath came from a nicely brewed caramel macchiato? Would you still pick the fart?
Posted By: Legend

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 06:09 AM

I drink 5-6 cups per day. Also have no trouble sleeping even if I drink coffee late in the evening. I just love the stuff.

When I just came to China there was almost no coffee available. Had to smuggle the ground coffee from home. OK, there were a few Starbucks but calling that coffee would be like calling Budweiser 'beer'.

Nowadays there's a lot of good coffee though - Ikea sells ground coffee and whole beans, and via Taobao I can order most other brands including Lavazza, Illy etc.

In my office there are six other staunch coffee drinkers - I've weaned them off tea and taught them to drink the real stuff!

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 06:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Colt40Five

Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 08:09 AM

Never drink coffee, but I am a sucker for tea (and hot choco!) smile
Drink maybe 5-6 mugs of tea each day.

Norway is #2 in the world in coffee consumption, using on average 10kg of coffee each year. #1 is Finland with 12kg. The US is 26th with 4.2kg smile
Posted By: gbarclay

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 08:53 AM

Here in Western Canada most of our coffee is bitter except for Tim Hortons.
$18.. for 2 lbs fine grind.

You yanks make a far better coffee...I think it't the chickory that you put in it to make it taste mellow.

I go down to Wahington state once a month to gas up and buy stuff at the Dollar Store.
i usually buy 5 bottles of SunnyD orange juice 1,5 gal for $1 each. it's $2.69 here.

Any suggestions for a nice mellow coffee? Ground or bean.

Tried star bucks once. Yuk. Bitter as hell.
Posted By: Mongoloid

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: gbarclay

Give Yuban a try. A two pound can is 8 bucks at Big Lots.
Posted By: Jaz

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 12:39 PM

I have a serious coffee addiction. I usually drink two or three cups of capuccino in the morning and one or two espresso's in the evening. That's the max I limited myself to, otherwise my headaches during the weekend would be unbearable.

Jaz

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 12:51 PM

Cafe Du Monde is excellent, has chickory in it, and can be bought on amazon now:
http://www.amazon.com/Two-Cans-Cafe-Du-M...du+monde+coffee

Pretty sure it's a rebadge of French Market, which tastes identical and is a bit cheaper with 1 more oz.:
http://www.amazon.com/French-Market-Chic...ket+cafe+coffee

If only they would put it out in k-cups! We never use the mundane coffee maker unless we have a lot of guests.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: EAF331 MadDog
The US is 26th with 4.2kg smile

Seattle and Miami probably account for half of that too!

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: NH2112
I'd rather smell a fart than someone's coffee breath.

What if the fart came from some 300 lbs guy who just had Mexican food and the coffee breath came from a nicely brewed caramel macchiato? Would you still pick the fart?

Would it still smell like coffee? I'd pick the fart if it did. As long as it wasn't one of those farts that leaves an oily film on everything. I'd probably rather choke back the coffee-nausea instead.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 02:15 PM

Ewwwwww....

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 02:39 PM

Yeah.. that's pretty disgusting. I know some people who like the aroma better than the actual partaking.
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 03:33 PM

I drink 1 large travel mug every day and that's it. Needs to be the flavored coffee because I've become a Keurig snob. Used to be only Dunkin Donut FR but not it's only Keurig and I can't drink DD.
Posted By: Force10

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 04:26 PM

Wow...nice turnout! Thanks everyone for participating. It looks like it's 70/30 on coffee drinkers here so far.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: gbarclay
Here in Western Canada most of our coffee is bitter except for Tim Hortons.
$18.. for 2 lbs fine grind.

You yanks make a far better coffee...I think it't the chickory that you put in it to make it taste mellow.

I go down to Wahington state once a month to gas up and buy stuff at the Dollar Store.
i usually buy 5 bottles of SunnyD orange juice 1,5 gal for $1 each. it's $2.69 here.

Coffee shouldn't be bitter (or smelly) unless its burnt, either by using water that's too hot and/or if the water takes too long getting through the layer of coffee grounds due to the coffee maker being overloaded or the wrong ground size used.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 06:20 PM

I'll add that, while I'm not a fan, all the Starbucks I've had the U.S. has been decent. They would have never gotten so popular otherwise.

The problem is, few businesses of any kind seem to know what they're doing in this region, and few consumers seem to know how things are supposed to be.

That's why our local Starbucks mostly serve horrible coffee and often make you wait a long time for it to boot.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 06:55 PM

Meh, I stopped buying coffee at Starbucks when it finally dawned on me how dumb it was to spend 4 bucks for a cup of coffee. I like the coffee at McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts just fine and it costs half the price or more compared to Starbucks.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 07:36 PM

Meh, I stopped buying coffee at Starbucks when it finally dawned on me how dumb it was to spend 4 bucks for a cup of coffee. I like the coffee at McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts just fine and it costs half the price or more compared to Starbucks.

I've gone one step further and prepare it myself, its even cheaper and turns out better than all but the best coffee houses.

Of course you have to spend some cash up front on a good machine or press though, and maybe a good burr grinder if you grind the beans yourself.

Over time you save a lot of money, especially since you can get good results out of even cheap generic coffee with a good setup and you know what you're doing.

This morning I made myself two STRONG cup with my press. They tasted exactly like it had a whole bunch of sugar and cream in it even though it was blacker than Darth Vader, and it smelled like tea or hot chocolate not oily burnt crap. Homebrew FTW!

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Crane Hunter
This morning I made myself two STRONG cup with my press. They tasted exactly like it had a whole bunch of sugar and cream in it even though it was blacker than Darth Vader, and it smelled like tea or hot chocolate not oily burnt crap. Homebrew FTW!

Ooh, that does sound good. I make coffee at work all the time but never at home. I should look into getting a good press.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 08:23 PM

I've got a Bodum French press and an Aeropress, the French press is great for loose leaf tea but the Aeropress makes MUCH better coffee with a lot less mess afterwards.

There are all sorts of videos on Youtube on different Aeropress methods, I don't do anything fancy though.

The only downsides to the Aeropress are that it makes only one cup at a time (albeit quickly) and that they're not very "fuel efficient", as in they use a lot of grounds to make each cup, mind you that cup probably gives you more of a buzz than a couple of cups of regular coffee.

As a bonus, since properly made coffee is not acidic, it totally doesn't upset your stomache.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 08:43 PM

I've been trying some of the Dunkin ground coffees for my home brewing. I prefer Original over Dark, for the most part. I'm not usually a fan of flavored coffees, but I might give one a shot next time.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 09:22 PM

I prefer a local place to Starbucks, but I'm the same way. I'd rather use my Keurig. About once a month or two I do like to get a big girlie "coffee", but too many cal's to do it more often than that. LOL
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 09:54 PM

I love coffee. I use an electric grinder and a Bodum french press. Add a bit of fresh milk and half a teaspoon of sugar, yummy!
Posted By: Cold_Flying

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/16/12 11:50 PM

My wife got me a killer espresso maker last Christmas, and I start the day, every day, with a double espresso.

After that, it's either a couple of Tim Hortons or another double espresso when I get home.

Cream, no sugar.
Posted By: HogDriver

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/17/12 12:29 PM

I'm not big on coffee. I might have a cup every few weeks or months. Usually prefer hot tea or hot chocolate if I have a hot drink.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/17/12 01:25 PM

I find it funny when people go to all the trouble and spend loads of money on machines and expensive coffee when at the end of the day it all tastes the same as the instant stuff from a jar - bitter!
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/17/12 02:19 PM

if it tastes the same you're doing it wrong

all food tastes the same if you burn it to a crisp

i personally drink turkish coffee, i grind it manually with a turkish grinder.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/17/12 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow
if it tastes the same you're doing it wrong

Indeed. If a ground coffee brew is bitter, it was not prepared correctly.

Instant, yea that's never the best.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/17/12 03:49 PM

ALL coffee is bitter that's why people put sugar and milk in it to disguise the taste!

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/17/12 04:03 PM

ALL coffee is bitter that's why people put sugar and milk in it to disguise the taste!

I would watch the person's behavior when they add a cream or sugar. Pour them up a cup of a quality brew and watch. Some will start adding stuff before they even taste the cup.

Habit, perhaps built on years of covering bad coffee.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/17/12 05:27 PM

Same way with how some people will start pouring salt, pepper, or ketchup on food without even tasting it first.

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/17/12 06:23 PM

It's not just coffee, but most teas will taste and sometimes smell bad if burnt or oversteeped.

Yerba Matè and green teas in particular are nasty if not prepared well.

Adding sweetener to a properly prepared plain coffee would make it disgustingly sweet, almost like adding sugar to a mocha, and cream would be redundant.
Posted By: Cold_Flying

Re: Poll: Coffee....gotta have it or don't care? - 11/17/12 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Crane Hunter
It's not just coffee, but most teas will taste and sometimes smell bad if burnt or oversteeped.

Yerba Matè and green teas in particular are nasty if not prepared well.

Adding sweetener to a properly prepared plain coffee would make it disgustingly sweet, almost like adding sugar to a mocha, and cream would be redundant.

Just a little cream... to soothe the soul. angel

But no sugaer, not a grain, not even the hint of a grain. The coffee shouldn't even know there is sugar in the same room.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums